Soundproofing pads for external use on walls? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-19-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hi guys - I just bought a new refrigerator that sits in an alcove and its fan/compressor noise is quite bothersome. I am looking for some advice on how to add some materials or padding to help dampen the noise please.

The fridge is great in every way except its nearly constant fan noise is driving me crazy. Not only is it fairly loud, but the frequency of the hum/fan noise is particularly bothersome. There is nothing wrong with the unit - many others complain of the same thing in reviews.

It sits in an alcove, with the sides of the wood cabinets surrounding the sides and top. The floor under it is hard tile, which I'm sure is not helping things much.

As an experiment, I'd like to try adding some sort of foam mat or insulation to the sides of the side and back walls which make up the alcove the fridge sits in, and a mat of some kind to the floor. I have about 1" of room on each side of the fridge between it and the side walls, and about 2" between it and the back wall.

Can someone please recommend some type of padding or insulation I could try using to dampen the sound? Preferably something from Home Depot or Lowes so that I could easily pick some up and try it. I realize it won't eliminate it, but if I can cut it down by 25-50% I think that would be a great win.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-19-2013, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I would personally start with just a rubber mat under the fridge and see if that helps to mitigate the noise. You want to maintain some clearance to allow the heat to escape from the compressor and coils. The operating manual probably states to maintain a couple of inches of clearance on the back as a minimum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #3 of 3 Old 10-19-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thanks. That's easy enough to try. I can pull the fridge out to make some more space in the back. Is there any type of compact material (say 1" or less in thickness) that I can pick up from HD or Lowes to try absorbing some sound on the back wall?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page