A "Bitchin" theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-20-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Hi all recently joined the forum, been "lurking" for quite awhile.

I am making good progress on a dedicated room and thought I might as well through some picks up:)

My room is in the attic over my garage.  it is 24' long x 20' wide.  Has a 10' ceiling that is flat for center 12.5' then slopes down to 6' 8".

I have chosen to use the following equipment:

Onkyo TX-NR929

Emotiva XPA-2 

Emotiva XPA-5

DirecTV HR-24

Sony PS3   (intend to get a Blu-Ray player)

Speakers:

FL/FR:    Klipsch RF-7 ii

Center:   Klipsch RC-64 ii

Wide:     Klipsch RB-61 ii

SR/SL:   Klipsch RS-62 ii

SB L/R:  Klipsch RB 61 ii

Height:   Klipsch RB-25

Sub:       Klipsch SW-310

Sub:       Definitive Technology Supercube 1

Epson     Home Cinema 5030UB

165" 16:9 Flexiwhite from Carl's Place

Seating is 2 rows of 4 with a rear bar of 6 chairs.

Front row:   ~ 11' 6"

2nd row:     ~ 18' 6"  (on 14.5" riser)

~ 44" between bar and rear wall

I have shown a few movies working on final projector mounting location and speaker placement.

I will add some progress picks:

Having a lot of fun (and some frustration) putting this room together and have received quite a bit of inspiration from others on this forum.  

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-20-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Adding a couple of additional pics:

post #3 of 13 Old 10-20-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 245
When you're all done. Get a laptop and appropriate mic and REW. it'll help you with speaker placement. My Klipsch RF5s sounded better and measured better without being toed in at all. Would never have tried it if I wasn't taken measurements.

You have a great room. Probably gonna need more sub than that. I'm partial to Infinite Baffle since I have one, and being over a garage it'd might be easy for you to implement.

"The Scuba Tank" thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #4 of 13 Old 10-20-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Really like that room. Going to be sweet when everything if finalized. Good job.

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 Old 10-20-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Yep looking to do this next weekend.

I have material to build accoustical panels to hang on side and rear walls but wanted to take measurements first.

Started with just the Klipsch sub and it was minimally more than running without it (I have sub outlets at 4 locations around the room so I can move/add as needed.

I brought up my DefTech from the basement rec-room and the two together actually sound pretty good.

That said I have read through some of the DIY builds and agree that I have several options to add subs (knee walls are 730ft^3 each)

post #6 of 13 Old 10-25-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

OK - small room updates as I await my projector mount.  Have read up more on IB subs and am about to pull trigger to order drivers -

thinking about using 4 per side

(baffle will be the knee wall - volume for each is ~ 625 ft^3 after taking out framing and insulation)

each area is sealed with high density spray foam - floor is then filled with cellulose, roof is filled with fiberglass batts

looking for input:

Where should I mount the driver?

Along the wall near floor level between vertical studs (spaced 2' on center)?

or

Vertically in a single stack closer to front of room?

Also not clear to me if I should wire these in series?  in Parrallel? or use single amp channel for each driver?

post #7 of 13 Old 10-25-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitChin2 View Post

OK - small room updates as I await my projector mount.  Have read up more on IB subs and am about to pull trigger to order drivers -
thinking about using 4 per side
(baffle will be the knee wall - volume for each is ~ 625 ft^3 after taking out framing and insulation)
each area is sealed with high density spray foam - floor is then filled with cellulose, roof is filled with fiberglass batts
 looking for input:
Where should I mount the driver?
Along the wall near floor level between vertical studs (spaced 2' on center)?
or
Vertically in a single stack closer to front of room?

Also not clear to me if I should wire these in series?  in Parrallel? or use single amp channel for each driver?

Don't pull the trigger yet, sounds like you have much still to design/consider.

I suggest reading up on the the cult - http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/

I would try to do a manifold design. Your room is over the garage so you can do multiple manifolds (i.e., two manifolds of two drivers, instead of one manifold of four drivers). For placement you can do the subwoofer crawl or take measurements of your existing box sub. Find the spot that sounds best (or two spots) and that will be where to place your manifolds.

IB subs are more work to pull off but, IMO, they are worth it.

"The Scuba Tank" thread

post #8 of 13 Old 10-25-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Looking good man. I love the space you have! Yes before pulling the trigger make sure you read up plenty on IB builds. They do take more work.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #9 of 13 Old 10-25-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm - will take some time to read the threads but seems to be quite a bit of info.  Quick search seemed to find several projects using line array as I proposed and more using manifolds - did not find any clear advantage over manifold other than space considerations (I'm sure there is more to it but will search a bit to find my answer.

I have moved my two subs around the room and found best sound (by ear - no measurement) to be along front side walls.

Front corners have bass traps added already and front wall is covered with 4" of cotton insulation - not sure if this plays into placement and sound performance for the sub nor if it will be different with the IB setup.

As for effort I was liking the line array as this seemed to be fairly straightforward and similar to effort for the baffle of a large sealed box (w/o the box) - also benefits from vertical and cross-member support of roof trusses where as the baffle seems like I would need to build some sort of structure for support and fit it around the trusses?

Did find some info that suggests total load was more important than how it is derived but will look into this more before I buy my components.

Monitor mount just arrived:p so I am going to install it now.

post #10 of 13 Old 10-26-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Line array will require significant work on the wall to prevent the whole wall from flexing. Some people have literally reinforced walls with concrete because if this.

With an opposed manifold the mechanical forces of the driver cancel each other out. No wall reinforcement necessary. It's as easy as cutting a hole in drywall.

"The Scuba Tank" thread

post #11 of 13 Old 10-26-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

This was what I thought might be the issue - seems there can be significant mechanical force in play here.

I have area on both sides of the room that I can add a manifold, but as I was looking at it earlier I'm concerned this will possibly move the issue from my baffle wall to my garage ceiling (space below the theater framing and under knee walls is 5/8" sheetrock with 2" of spray foam followed by cellulose - will this force on the back side of the driver now be applied to the ceiling below?)

Starting to see why the comments about IB being more complicated:)

Might go back to thinking of an enclosed box along front wall (~ 50 ft^3 or more))

post #12 of 13 Old 10-27-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

I have made a bit more progress:

Hung the Epson 5030UB projector using the Chief RPA168 mount

Finished my rear bar - 6 stools arrive on Wed - watched the Chief's win today:) while drinking some beer's - enjoying this already!

Installed my rear surround speakers 

Installed front window blackout shades 

post #13 of 13 Old 10-29-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Adding picture of my ceiling acoustical treatment (had an offline question about what was on the ceiling)

I added 4" of cotton batt insulation suspended between the joist's it has 1' -> 4' above and entire ceiling area

For other treatments I have added panels to each corner which are combination of fiberglass and cotton batt with layer of Homasote covered with poly-fill and burlap

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Directv Hr24 High Definition Dvr , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Yamaha Ns Sw310bl Advanced Yst Ii Subwoofer Each Black , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each , Klipsch Rb 61 Ii Reference Series Bookshelf Loudspeakers Black Pair , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each
Gear in this thread - Sw310bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page