QS 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I can't seem to decide between purchasing the 3506 grafik eye versus the QS model.  And if I purchase the qs, what model number.  This is what I need for my home theater currently:

Zone 1: Can lights above seats

Zone 2: Can lights by screen

Zone 3: Sconces

Zone 4: Rope lighting at stage

Zone 5: step lighting

I read thru the whole definitve grafik eye thread but just as I read it and would lean one way, I would read more and tend to lead the other way.  I appreciate any input.  Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to add that I do not need shade control.  I believe the wireless QS model for 6 zones is QSGRJ-6P.

post #3 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
The QS has a hard-wired IR port on the back, and is also compatible with RadioRA2 if you ever want to incorporate the GE into a larger system, or want to control via IR (which is what I did).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 05:20 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 290
What types of loads are you running for each of these zones? Are they all 120v incandescent / halogen / xenon? QS is the only one with the ability to control LED loads that are less than 120v.

Jautor has it right with the IR....the QS can accept the IR input from the back of the unit whereas the 3500 only has the IR target on the front. The IR emitter can be hidden underneath the front cover for an equally stealth look and functionality, so don't let IR integration steer your decision.

Quite simply, if you have LED anything that's less than 120v, then you have to go with QS, otherwise save yourself the $$ and go with the 3500 series.

post #5 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 08:19 PM

Liked: 12

I did let IR integration steer me to the QS's.  Just hooked up the first GE this weekend.  Have 3 of the 6 loads currently fully wired.  Works like a charm.  All incandescent loads.  I will try the IR integration this week.

- Double Drywall, Green Glue, Drywall Furring Channel, Riser, Stage, Bass Trap, In-Wall Speakers, BG Radia, JTR Captivators, Seymour AV, Sony HW-50ES, Sherbourn, Panasonic, Middle Atlantic, Lutron Grafik Eye, Baffle Wall

post #6 of 9 Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Does the QS need a low voltage interface to connect low voltage wiring like the 3500 does?

post #7 of 9 Old 10-21-2013, 05:07 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 290
If you use the bus port, then yes. Options are RS-232 and TCP/IP control via the bus.

Lutron "speak" is natively RS-485, so the device essentially translates the communications protocol coming from the bus to interface with the control system.

post #8 of 9 Old 04-28-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

The QS has a hard-wired IR port on the back, and is also compatible with RadioRA2 if you ever want to incorporate the GE into a larger system, or want to control via IR (which is what I did).

Hi Jeff,

I noticed this post and another one, I think of yours, referencing purchasing IR 'wire' for the GE QS.   So, clearly one end of the wire is attached into the QS Unit/4 gang box.   Where is the other end terminated, in the equipment rack?   You have quite likely answer this, but I didn't see it off hand.

Thanks,

Kevin

Thanks!

Kevin

post #9 of 9 Old 04-28-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post

I noticed this post and another one, I think of yours, referencing purchasing IR 'wire' for the GE QS.   So, clearly one end of the wire is attached into the QS Unit/4 gang box.   Where is the other end terminated, in the equipment rack?   You have quite likely answer this, but I didn't see it off hand.

It needs to go to wherever the IR signal is coming from... Which, yes, is probably the equipment rack. In my case I have a Global Cache GC-100/iTach providing the IR signal.

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page