Help with my HT design please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My current room is just too small (9x14x7) for this equipment, I'm looking to invest into remodeling the basement for better acoustics, I get some pretty massive nulls in this room even with 2 sub. From what i've read, 11x17.5x7 feet is around the right dimensions for a good acoustics. Ideally, ceiling should be higher but I can't modify that. The equipment is 2x Klipsch RF-7s, 1x Klipsch RC-64, 4x Klipsch RS-52, 2x SVS PC13 Ultras, and 1x Denon 4311CI receiver. The TV is 55", 65" is my next investment.

----

First concern. I'm not really sure where I should put one of the doors. With the current wall placement, it will be cheaper to put the always open doorway directly in the corner. However I worry this will lead to bass escaping and possibly hurting overall acoustics. The second option is to put the door further up. Does it matter?

Option A:

Option B:

----

The second concern I have is part of the ceiling comes down 1 foot and takes up the left 2 feet of the ceiling. This cannot be removed/moved. Could this cause some type of null or acoustic problems?

----

The third and final concern is that the higher part of the ceiling is made of drop down ceiling. I am really not sure what to expect in terms of it dampening certain sounds or having lots of vibrations.

Thanks for any help, I don't want to redo most of the basement just to end up with a disaster. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-23-2013, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First, is there an option of excavating the floor to gain a few more feet of height?

Second, the always open door will allow bass to leak out of the room to the rest of the house. Perhaps you could consider making it a pocket door or something, so you can pull it closed when watching movies....?

• If it were my room, I would put the always open door in the corner.
  • I would place the seating centered along the west (17') wall, under the soffit.
  • I would place the screen (preferably a projection screen) centered on the East (17') wall, which will give you the option for a larger screen and more space to spread out your front main speakers for a wider soundstage.
  • North and South walls (11") would be used for the Surrounds, and possibly Wide speakers.
  • I would place one subwoofer at the middle of the North wall and one at the midpoint of the South wall.
  • Paint all walls a dark color, preferably neutral, like dark gray.
  • Look into room treatment acoustic panels like GIK Acoustics for the walls and the first reflection point on the ceiling. Ceiling panel should be black, preferably.

As far as vibrating drop ceilings, it is possible, expecially with two subs. If you get vibration noise, try slipping some compressed fiberglass panels (like Owens-Corning OC703) above the acoustic tiles to add more weight to the tiles. These panels will also help to trap more sound above the drop ceiling.

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #3 of 5 Old 10-23-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Ever consider an acoustically transparent screen and projector? Why settle for a 65" hdtv when you
could have a 120"+ screen, with all front speakers and subs, hidden?

Tyrindor.jpg 35k .jpg file

How many bodies do you need to seat?

Bass will pass through that suspended ceiling. Is some drywall work an option? You could double up the drywall
everywhere, have a gasketted entry door and do back boxes for in ceiling spot lighting.

I bet that soffit could be shrunk, and then mirrored on the other side wall. Any idea how it is framed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tyrindor.jpg (34.7 KB, 5 views)
post #4 of 5 Old 10-24-2013, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Thanks for the help. After some thought, how about we scrap the above and start from scratch. I don't want that soffit to be in there, and I'd rather spend more to make a room elsewhere in the basement. The most expensive thing I can do is make a brand new room, but the 6' 10" ceiling height has to stay. I cannot afford to dig out the basement, I assume that is very expensive. I already have to take out a loan to do this.

Here is my current room, as you see it's an acoustical disaster when it comes to lower frequencies. Even with two subwoofers, there's only a very tiny spot in the room where I get the desired results, exactly 38% from the rear wall. However my room is too small for this and the sofa ends up taking up the entire room. I have no room to customize my setup due to the sheer size of the room.

This is option 1, it's the cheapest to achieve without the overhang on the ceiling. It has some issues where some frequencies are overlapping which can probably be fixed with audyssey XT32. However, it has much much better bass response than my current room.

This is option 2, which appears to be the best and most acoustically accurate I can get with my ceiling height, but also would require me to move a wall less than a foot to achieve. This makes it the most expensive option, but I am leaning towards this option.

In all new setups, the entire ceiling would be drop down. My current room is drywall. I'd likely invest into tiles that are designed for home theaters and work to help sound rather than hurt it. 55-65" HDTVs are my only option. Why? Because I connect a PC to this setup for games and web browsing. Projectors sadly have too much input lag for this. tongue.gif

Thoughts? Thanks.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-25-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Maybe you might want to explore that approach more? wink.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1368295/2-35-1-pc-gaming-powered-by-lumagen

Have you tried gaming with a projector? SOWK adds in a scaler into the video chain.

Even if there is some lag, a larger more immersive screen and hidden speakers, might
be addition through subtraction. And what you don't spend on a new room, could be put to
the AVS design package and acoustical treatments.

The home theater design seminars I have taken, say don't put too much faith into a
room calculator. Your calculation of that room is flawed, as it doesn't take into consideration
the soffit nor the open doorway.

I have a 7'1" high space with five soffits at 80". I was stuck with one down one side wall with an
S bend and one across the front wall. The S bend was an issue and a fifth soffit there, hides that
issue.

If you want to explore a new room, a basement diagram with measurements and obstacles drawn
in would get you more specific ideas. And since proper design starts with seating, a number would be
helpful.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page