speakers above screen, is it considered OK? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 10-22-2013, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So if have windows at each side from where I want the screen to go. Not ideal, but is it still ok to place all three front speakers above the screen? Don't really have a choice and don't want to go acoustically transparent....... I guess my question is it going to be really off or acceptable??

Oh, I can also install screen about 3 feet higher and the left and right speaker will be at least within the plane of the image, but then I will be looking at the image up higher. Decisions, decisions!

what would you do??

thanx in advance

Jaime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-22-2013, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Why are the windows problematic - are we only talking in-wall speakers?

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #3 of 24 Old 10-22-2013, 09:17 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 681
post #4 of 24 Old 10-22-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

AT screen

+1

Even when I'm not having a particularly good day, I am at least having a day!

New Theater 

Build Thread
post #5 of 24 Old 10-22-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

windows are immediately to the left and right of screen and the windows are rectangular, big and long sideways..... 5 foot high, 6.5 ft wide. Placing speakers outside windows will be very awkward in spacing, they would be about 22 ft apart
post #6 of 24 Old 10-22-2013, 04:09 PM

Liked: 34

You could do Left and Right speakers just to the sides of the screen and do WideLeft and WideRight on the outsides of the windows.  If you don't want an AT screen you could do two centers, one above and one below the screen.  Might need an outboard amp to pull that off.

Or do centers above and below with box speakers and Left and Right's as in-ceiling speakers.  Remember, in a typical movie 80% of the sound you hear is coming from the center channel.  Left, Right, SL, SR and backs are just effects and fill.  Put your money in a good center and some subs (2 = good, 4=better, lots=best)  If you listen to a lot of 2-channel then you probably want to beef up your Left and Right also.  Unless you're going all out and making a dedicated theater/listening room it's all about the compromises.  Knowing where to compromise is important.  My pet peeve is seeing a media room with huge towers and a tiny center channel squeezed under the tv or screen and one sub snugged up in the corner of the room.  You will never hear the towers in a movie, just thin pathetic noises coming from the tiny center and bloated nasty bass coming from the sub...  Think of it this way.. would you ever put a speaker in the corner like that?  Never.  A sub is a speaker....

post #7 of 24 Old 10-22-2013, 04:59 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

You could build some pedestal stands on casters for your L/R and move them in front of the windows for show time.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-22-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I'm with Big I'd consider an AT screen. I doubt your gunna like all the speakers that high. Maybe consider a different room if possible.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #9 of 24 Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 PM

Why can't the speakers go in front of the windows?  I mean, if you're shooting a projector at a screen then you're going to want to have those windows blacked out anyway.  I think we need more details...

post #10 of 24 Old 10-22-2013, 10:30 PM

I'm not trying to thread-jack but I have the same issue and posted it here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492104/my-home-theater-remake-lots-of-questions-and-advice-needed

I have a feeling the OP has a similar setup as me. I haven't posted an update to my thread, but I haven't had time to wall mount my speakers up high so they are sitting all the way to the far left and right. After calibrating with Audssey, I actually like the separation. (24') I haven't decided if I'll go up high yet.

I didn't want to go AT for a screen as well. Please post what you decide and how you like it.

post #11 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have heard before that placing the center channel above the screen is actually preferred to placing it below at least acoustically. If you do place it above then it is of course best to place the all of the front channels at the same height.

Placing dual centers can be tricky as previously stated. Without fancy dsp and tinkering it could cause nasty peaks and nulls and make a total mess of your soundtrack so be careful.

Using wides in your situation is an interesting idea.

Using an AT screen would probably be best.

Can you post a pic?
post #12 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well, Here's my problem with AT screen: It would make my image small! So I have a Sim2 C3Xe with T2 lens. 118 inch wide, 135 diagonal screen is the biggest my PJ can do at the given throw distance. My speakers are the M&K S-150's which are about 12'' all around so this would push my screen forward, closer to the pJ and therefore making image smaller.

If I did AT screen it would mean a smaller image as I cannot push the PJ back anymore without major rear wall reconstruction and invading into adjacent bedroom. It's an awesome and expensive PJ but it needs a long throw unfortunately. I'm maxed out on zoom to get 118 inches wide at 16:9. This size is acceptable to me, after all I want theater, not big flat screen TV.

if I placed the L and R on either side, this would take up screen space and would wind up with at best a 90ish inch screen....might as well just put in a Flat panel TV

If I did an AT screen with speakers behind, the screen can be up to 160 inch wide 2:40 but again, the problem is my throw distance in where my Sim2 can only put out an upper 90's image at max zoom.

Seems the best way is to align all three of them above the screen......

My situation is just like what Ahkim, two posts above, has. Only, my windows are larger and longer sideways
post #13 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 02:58 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

getting just the center channel behind the screen is a win, you can leave the L/R on the sides.
post #14 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 03:19 PM

Well, the easy answer to more throw distance is a front surface mirror.  You could build it into a hush box and kill two birds with one stone.  That would buy you another two feet easily with a modest sized mirror.  Those S150's are awesome.  I did a theater with them as LCR's, and M&K surrounds with the big commercial M&K sub.  Scary loud and clean.  At the beginning of Quantum of Solace, when the machine gun opens up at the begging I jumped out of my chair!

post #15 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Robert, that is one of my favorite opening scenes of all time. I can't wait to hear it in my room once it is finished. I just love the way the camera begins to zoom in on the cars and the sound gets louder and louder until they are just screaming through the tunnels next to the ocean. And then of course the awesome gunfire begins! Whatever frequency that is it seems to have pretty good chest thump to it. Good stuff.
post #16 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, those s-150 and ss-150 do slam pretty good. I push all 5 speakers with Krell amps connected to Meridian audio preamp. I also have the MX 350 PRO subwoofer with the XLR connection. Can't wait to get it all down and working properly.

Thank you all for the feedback. As I get older I continue to feel more "chilled" about some tradeoff's. Life goes on Heheh....

Jaime

ps. Another great sounding machine gun and explosives scene is early in the movie "saving private Ryan". Amazing sound detail !
post #17 of 24 Old 10-24-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I will check out that scene too then. But it is a tough one to watch very often.

I think my favorite is from the latest underworld movie when the elevator drops down and she has to shoot through it with double uzi's. Very tight.
post #18 of 24 Old 10-24-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Say guys, quick question regarding connections. Are people generally connecting the oppo's audio out using the 5.1 analogue connectors or the single Digital out connector. Asked this question in the Audio Theory and Setup but no one responds.

My Meridian 568 can do both. Which would you choose??

thanx, Jaime
post #19 of 24 Old 10-24-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-450dually View Post

Say guys, quick question regarding connections. Are people generally connecting the oppo's audio out using the 5.1 analogue connectors or the single Digital out connector. Asked this question in the Audio Theory and Setup but no one responds.

My Meridian 568 can do both. Which would you choose??

thanx, Jaime

Whoa... don't ever use the analog outs for video..  Oppo has a nice decoder but it's probably 1/100th the cost of the decoder in your Meridian.  Feed it HDMI and let the Meridian decode the lossless formats.  You lose HD-Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD if you use Digital out.

post #20 of 24 Old 10-24-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Yeah, I agree. The VIDEO is going HDMI from Oppo straight to Sim2's HDMI input. But, the question was about AUDIO. The Oppo has both 5.1 analogue AUDIO outputs, and also has the single 75 Ohm DIGITAL output for AUDIO. Don't know which is better to feed my Meridian. My Meridian 568 has NO HDMI connection at all, but it can do both....

Jaime
post #21 of 24 Old 10-24-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Oh Yeah, I agree. The VIDEO is going HDMI from Oppo straight to Sim2's HDMI input. But, the question was about AUDIO. The Oppo has both 5.1 analogue AUDIO outputs, and also has the single 75 Ohm DIGITAL output for AUDIO. Don't know which is better to feed my Meridian. My Meridian 568 has NO HDMI connection at all, but it can do both....

Jaime

My bad... I assumed the Meridian was an AVR..  I looked it up and it's just a surround sound processor.  Typically in an AVR you run HDMI from the Blu-ray to the AVR and then HDMI out from the AVR to the Display.  The uncompressed formats ride on the video signal so the only way to get HD-Master Audio is via HDMI.  Even when I run a system without using the video functions of the AVR I still run an HDMI to it to get those formats.  (most Blu-ray players I use have 2 HDMI outputs).

So in your case, yes, using the digital out will be vastly superior to using the analog multichannel outs.

post #22 of 24 Old 10-24-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, Thanx! I purchased this pre/pro in Austin about 9 years ago for about $6K. Now it's only worth about 1-1.5K :-( Been thinking of selling it and getting the newer G68 which has HDMI and balanced XLR all analogue output for HT. Nice, but expensive!!

I'll just enjoy what I got.

thanx a million

Jaime
post #23 of 24 Old 10-24-2013, 07:13 PM

Yup.. as I always have to say to my customers.. "time marches on".  Nothing like looking someone in the eye and telling them their $3000 AVR is junk cause it only has component inputs.  At least with some high end gear they are upgradeable.  I sold Theta Digital and you could upgrade them to current generation.  Very pricey but at least your investment won't be a boat anchor in 3 years.  I had a lot of luck using upper end Denon and Integra as pre/pro and running Krell or CAT as the amplification.

post #24 of 24 Old 10-25-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Ok, Thanx! I purchased this pre/pro in Austin about 9 years ago for about $6K. Now it's only worth about 1-1.5K :-( Been thinking of selling it and getting the newer G68 which has HDMI and balanced XLR all analogue output for HT. Nice, but expensive!!
I'll just enjoy what I got.
thanx a million
Jaime
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertintemple View Post

My bad... I assumed the Meridian was an AVR..  I looked it up and it's just a surround sound processor.  Typically in an AVR you run HDMI from the Blu-ray to the AVR and then HDMI out from the AVR to the Display.  The uncompressed formats ride on the video signal so the only way to get HD-Master Audio is via HDMI.  Even when I run a system without using the video functions of the AVR I still run an HDMI to it to get those formats.  (most Blu-ray players I use have 2 HDMI outputs).
So in your case, yes, using the digital out will be vastly superior to using the analog multichannel outs.
Don't think his processer will decode it anyway but agree digital would be better
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page