Sound proofing/insulation...Is it necessary?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just moved into a new home that has an existing bonus room that I will be using for my theater. 2 walls (1 outside wall and 1 tangent to garage) are insulated, but the 2 remaining interior walls are not. It's just me and my wife in the house now, so we'll likely be watching together most of the time and I don't have any concern about sound getting to the rest of the house.

I see lots of threads about decoupling the walls, double drywall and green glue etc... but does it matter in a situation like mine? Will sound resonate in the open channels between the sheetrock without insulation? And if so, can I use a "blow in" type insulation so I don't have to tear apart the walls?

The room is smaller than I would like to begin with (16.5'x 12.5'), so adding extra layers or a room within a room doesn't appeal to me. I'm not opposed to acoustical wall treatments though...

Any thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
There are two questions in there.

"Will sound resonate in the open channels between the sheetrock without insulation?" Yes, and transfer to any coupled surface and travel throughout the structure. Blown in would be better than nothing, and you wouldn't have to tear down any DW.

"Will it matter in a situation like mine?" Only you can answer that one. Will you ever watch while your wife is trying to sleep? Will there ever be kids in the house? etc...

IMO, for the cost of soundproofing efforts (DD+GG+Clips+Hat Channel) it does make a big difference if done correctly, and is a great ROI. Since it sounds like your room is already "finished" by the builder, you could easily test the effects of loud sounds by setting up an AVR and some speakers/sub. Then crank it up and wander the house (inside and out...). If it works for you, then great. If it becomes an issue in the future, tear out the existing DW and redo it so you can have the best soundproofing performance for your situation.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

There are two questions in there.

"Will sound resonate in the open channels between the sheetrock without insulation?" Yes, and transfer to any coupled surface and travel throughout the structure. Blown in would be better than nothing, and you wouldn't have to tear down any DW.

"Will it matter in a situation like mine?" Only you can answer that one. Will you ever watch while your wife is trying to sleep? Will there ever be kids in the house? etc...

I edited my original post...Kids have moved out, I never have time to watch anything by myself;)...so I don't care about what it sounds like outside of the room. I just want good sound inside the room.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
In that case, loosely blown in insulation in the empty cavities would help tame resonance. You would want to do some acoustical treatments on the inside of the room (absorption, diffusion) to help the inside room sound performance.
mbroder likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 06:44 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 738
I'd say you hang the projector set up your speakers and start enjoying the space as is. In other words give it a test spin and see how it works for you and your wife. If you do some acoustical treatments limit them to what you can easily hang on the wall. Then if you decide the sound making it's way to other parts of the house you can pull out the checkbook and start over. And it won't involve blowing in some insulation in a couple of walls.
jautor and mbroder like this.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I'd say you hang the projector set up your speakers and start enjoying the space as is. In other words give it a test spin and see how it works for you and your wife. If you do some acoustical treatments limit them to what you can easily hang on the wall. Then if you decide the sound making it's way to other parts of the house you can pull out the checkbook and start over. And it won't involve blowing in some insulation in a couple of walls.

Now why would I do something practical like that, when I could over think it and lose sleep!!! smile.gif

Good advice!
post #7 of 8 Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Once again, reminding everyone that the REAL purpose of the "soundproofing" is to lower the noise floor INSIDE the room. This allows the quietest sounds to be heard without cranking it so loud that the loud ones are TOO loud, clearing up dialog and eliminating the "turn it up; turn it down" syndrome.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #8 of 8 Old 10-25-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Once again, reminding everyone that the REAL purpose of the "soundproofing" is to lower the noise floor INSIDE the room. This allows the quietest sounds to be heard without cranking it so loud that the loud ones are TOO loud, clearing up dialog and eliminating the "turn it up; turn it down" syndrome.

While that's accurate for home theater enthusiasts (aka anyone reading this forum), in the "real world" when folks ask about soundproofing, they most certainly are concerned about 'noise' escaping from the theater and waking the baby, etc... Both reasons are valid.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction