Home made bluray racks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-26-2013, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I was wondering what everybody does for storing their blurays. Im getting quite a collection and I want to have them readily available to pull out and play, but I also worry that they will be rattling and making noise when I have a movie or something cranked up if I just have them on a shelf beside the components.
I cant find any nice ones online, does anybody have any pics of their racks full of media/blurays? Are they store bought, or home made?
I thought about something like this Storage Cabinet But it looks a little too "Office" like, and it is metal, so I dont want that rattling away with a bunch of movies inside rattling too.

Anybody have any pics or links they can share for media rack ideas?

Thanks!

Sling smile.gif

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
Oppo BDP-103, , Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37-26
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
Dual - PSA XV15's, Fractal Designs Node 605 HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-26-2013, 11:54 PM

Liked: 18
I'm building shelves of storage into my theater columns, so that the space inside the column that isn't taken up by speakers, has some shelves to store blu-rays on. It's a bit of extra work, but since I was building the columns anyway - in order to house the speakers, it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Slingblayde likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I use a Ikea bookcase to store the discs. Simple & get the job done.

Slingblayde likes this.

~ Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

)

post #4 of 16 Old 10-27-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

I use a Ikea bookcase to store the discs. Simple & get the job done.

That looks really really good landshark, thats just a normal bookshelf that you bought from Ikea, or did you have to modify it at all to fit between the studs? do any of the discs rattle when you have the theater cranked up?

dsiroky did you make the columns swing open or is the column open faced? do you have any pics?

Thanks for the replies guys! biggrin.gif

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
post #5 of 16 Old 10-27-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

That looks really really good landshark, thats just a normal bookshelf that you bought from Ikea, or did you have to modify it at all to fit between the studs? do any of the discs rattle when you have the theater cranked up?

dsiroky did you make the columns swing open or is the column open faced? do you have any pics?

Thanks for the replies guys! biggrin.gif
It's just a stock Ikea bookcase and they comes in many different size to suit your need. And I never have any rattling problem from the discs even when I listen at -10db MV with my dual SVS PB12-Plus.

~ Gary

)

post #6 of 16 Old 10-27-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

This is the closest thing I have found on the Canadian Ikea site, is this the same as yours? Billy Bookshelf

post #7 of 16 Old 10-27-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Not sure if you would be interested in a pull out rack but here is what I am doing. It is double sided with around 10 adjustable shelves. I don't have the slides hooked up yet. Just put another coat of paint on yesterday. post 308

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1398229/sunflower-state-cinema/300

post #8 of 16 Old 10-27-2013, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
At my last home i just bought a cheap book case from walmart. It was next to the screen but behind floating walls so it was easy to get to but hidden. In my new house i am planning on a sim idea but since i am tighter on space will be building one so that it is not as deep and the space in between shelves are just higher than a movie case so i can fit more as needed.i am thinking of using hinged fabric panels to access them

post #9 of 16 Old 10-27-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

This is the closest thing I have found on the Canadian Ikea site, is this the same as yours? Billy Bookshelf
Yes. That's the kind I use, but in different size of course. Inexpensive, simple, and get the job done IMHO. smile.gif

~ Gary

)

post #10 of 16 Old 10-27-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I REALLY like the design of those can am racks but hate that they're metal. In a theatre room that just doesn't make much sense to me. I wonder if there are similar designed racks made of wood or mdf?

post #11 of 16 Old 10-28-2013, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

I REALLY like the design of those can am racks but hate that they're metal. In a theatre room that just doesn't make much sense to me. I wonder if there are similar designed racks made of wood or mdf?

Thats the way I feel, If it was wood I would order it instantly.

post #12 of 16 Old 10-28-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I added 3 sliding drawers to my AV rack just for that purpose.
These have the glides on the bottom, they make them with glides on the sides also.
You can see them in the picture, I simply lined each bottom with black thin foamboard from craft store.
They are about 22 inch wide x 22" deep, you can get different sizes.
Full extending and very strong/robust, perfect for blu-day and other storage in the AV rack.

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #13 of 16 Old 10-28-2013, 10:20 AM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I use 3 pieces of (gas?) pipe for each shelf, arranged in an "L" configuration (looking end-on), but tipped back about 15 degrees. The pipes are supported by a pair of wooden uprights at each end with recessed holes and can be spray painted to whatever color you want. This does admittedly sound a bit ghetto, but actually it looks really nice. Canting the cases backwards slightly ensures that they stay put and aren't moved around with all the low frequency rumblings.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-28-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

I added 3 sliding drawers to my AV rack just for that purpose.
These have the glides on the bottom, they make them with glides on the sides also.
You can see them in the picture, I simply lined each bottom with black thin foamboard from craft store.
They are about 22 inch wide x 22" deep, you can get different sizes.
Full extending and very strong/robust, perfect for blu-day and other storage in the AV rack.

Thats a pretty novel idea also. It keeps them out of the way and out of sight too. I had thought about getting drawers from Middle Atlantic, but I didnt want to take up that many spaces in my rack.
I see you are from SE Mich, I am heading thru the tunnel to Detroit tonight to pick up my XPA5 at the post office. smile.gif

post #15 of 16 Old 10-28-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi "Sling" it's been too long since I was in Windsor, stupid 9/11 rules, I have passport but my wife does not....

Enjoy your XPA-5, I got the -3 for my 11.3 setup with my Denon 4520CI and love it.

Via my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk

post #16 of 16 Old 10-28-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

btw, here is some more detail on the sliding blu-ray / storage in my AV rack

This is a 20 inch x 20 inch sliding tray, it fully extends:
photo%25201.jpg

and as can be seen stores 100+ blu-rays per spot, here is 102
photo%25202.jpg

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page