Best position for 2 subwoofers - option 1, 2, or 3? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-28-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Posted this question in the subwoofer forum but it might make more sense here ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1496961/best-position-for-2-subwoofers-option-1-2-or-3

Also, front-facing or floor-facing subwoofers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-28-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Measurements will tell you better than anybody on here could. If you want it to look the best, than behind the screen where you can't see them is what I would say.

If you cant measure, do a sub crawl test. Also, the way the sub fires does not matter. What matters is the sub quality and amp compatibility.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #3 of 10 Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the quick feedback PI. There won't be a shelf at the bottom of the screen so they would have to sit on the floor (carpeted).
post #4 of 10 Old 10-28-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Bill is right in his answer on the other thread, but there are things you can bet on - like he said, you'll probably want one or more in the back of the room.

If you have adequate headroom and ability to EQ the subs independently, you can do a good job of getting good bass with subs in all four corners. Two is not as good, but can be done - the center of opposite walls is optimal (for making the bass response as similar as possible across multiple seats) with 2 subs. Check the first white paper at this link.

Wire is pretty cheap - mark every sub position you could possibly make use of, then use the two that work out best.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Fred. He's going with powered subwoofers so the issue is also where to put AC outlets. The area at the back isn't an option because it can be used as a walkway from one part of the house to another. I'll take your vote as option 3 being the best of the 3.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhdtv View Post

Posted this question in the subwoofer forum but it might make more sense here ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1496961/best-position-for-2-subwoofers-option-1-2-or-3

Also, front-facing or floor-facing subwoofers?

Put one at the front center either under the center channel or right next to it. And one at the rear center wall about three inches away. Try it ! It works you can place one at the rear it clearly looks as if the space is there.

PeterV
post #7 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for your comments Peter. That back recessed area will be occupied with cabinets for the electronics so it's not an option for a sub. I shoulod have marked that on the diagram.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhdtv View Post

Thanks for your comments Peter. That back recessed area will be occupied with cabinets for the electronics so it's not an option for a sub. I shoulod have marked that on the diagram.

Then go with number one(1) it should still give a good coverage, hopefully nulls won't be a problem. Try to place your main listening position (seat) at the 38% distance from the back wall. That should help with a more smooth position to Listen from. Good luck your plan has high potential I like the setup. The layout of the surrounds/back speakers again looks very well thought out. What components are you using? Any pictures?

PeterV
post #9 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If you don't have a convenient starting point (such as midpoint of two opposing walls), then your best strategy is to do a little analysis with something like Room EQ Wizard. Put a sub at your seating location, and measure the response at different spots where you might put your subwoofer. Pick the flattest. Then do the same with your second subwoofer.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I placed 1 of my Chase 15" Cubes behind the screen, the other on the back riser off the way a bit- sounds great, you really feel the bass all around you with the front/back config. Beign piushed my a 1000W amp helps smile.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page