Starting up a thread on my new theater build. Erskine Group worked on the design, and they will be doing the construction and equipment installation as well.
We’re starting with essentially a concrete bunker that’s about 31’ long, 21’ wide, and 9.5’ high. Total finished space will be around 25’ long (back wall to front of screen wall, screen sits “recessed” in this wall by about 2 feet), 20’ wide, and about 7’ high on platform, 8’ high off platform – that’s head clearance, from carpet to bottom of ceiling coffers. (Note to future HT builders: you really need at least 11 feet of depth to work with, if not 12 or 13…)
We’ll have three rows of seating:
* First row: Sectional, seats 5, about 11-feet from eyeballs to screen
* Second row, on platform: Five Fortress “El Dorado” theater seats, about 18-feet from eyeballs to screen
* Third row, on platform: Four bar stools behind bar counter, about 22-feet from eyeballs to screen
Here’s the equipment we’re putting in, some of which is Erskine-Group-recommended, some of which is my own:
* Screen: Stewart CineCurve StudioTek 130, 2.35:1 AR, left/right masking, 12-feet wide, Microperf
* Projector: Sony VPL-VW1000ES, w/upgrade
* Lens: Isco IIIL
* LCR Speakers: Procella P815
* Surround Speakers: Procella P8
* Subs: Procella P18 (x1), Procella P10Si (x3)
* Pre-amp: Onkyo TX-NR929
* Amps, DSP: QSC
* Sources: Oppo BDP-103, DirecTV, gaming systems
* Video processing: Darbee Darblet
* Power: ExactPower transformer, TrippLite UPS
There is a medium-term plan to upgrade the video (including pre-amp) when 4K standards become better established.
And of course, I've had a great experience so far with Erskine Group and Dennis in particular!
Would be great to hear any thoughts you guys have.