Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #271 of 284 Old 07-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Well....I've fallen in to the trap like most. I haven't done much to the Theater since it's mostly functional. I have been watching a lot of movies though.

I still need to figure out a good Universal Remote solution. Anyone like Bitwise around here?

I did however hook up something pretty cool this weekend.

And I can control the motion and amount of vibration from my chair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 284 Old 07-13-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
7channel - I had Bitwise and it may be a good system but the implementation of it I received was spotty for all my gadgets, and then when I wanted to make adjustments to the way it functioned, the lack of responsiveness from the dealer I had gone with was very frustrating. In the end I didn't like Bitwise at all but I'm sure that is the outfit I was getting support from. If you think this is a direction you want to consider, let me know as I have a BC1 controller collecting dust.

I then tinkered with iRule and I really liked that I could do all my own programming, and that if I ever changed gear I was ready to go and make control updates without waiting for a programmer. However I found that some of my devices, DTV, Oppo, Marantz, would drop their "gateway" connections. The learning curve for me was longer than I would have liked so I grew impatient.

Separately I had acquired some Control4 lighting products last year and I got connected with a C4 dealer that was willing to work with me to get might lighting working even though it was 2nd hand gear. He was real responsive and helpful and so when I mentioned my frustrations with Bitwise and iRule he convinced me to try C4 for my media room.

My favorite thing is that you can get the SR-250 remotes give me the tactile feel of a remote with buttons while the full suite of access via IOS. I know many people aren't fans of Control4 but I've been happy with it. I still have some refinements I want to make to the way my system works but for now I'm happy.

GDF

post #273 of 284 Old 08-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

AV Texan is hosting the Houston Home Theater group this evening. Hope to see you there.
post #274 of 284 Old 09-17-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazing theater 7channelfreak. Yours and the Rawlinsway theater are big inspirations for my current build. I wanted to ask how you like the lighter trim color. I've seen several mentions on the forum to stay away from light paint and keep the room dark which makes sense. However, some of the best builds have seen on here use lighter color paint for trim. My wife loves the lighter colors of course but I'm very hesitant. I just wanted to get your thoughts on it. Do you get a lot of reflection?
post #275 of 284 Old 09-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthiggins View Post
Amazing theater 7channelfreak. Yours and the Rawlinsway theater are big inspirations for my current build. I wanted to ask how you like the lighter trim color. I've seen several mentions on the forum to stay away from light paint and keep the room dark which makes sense. However, some of the best builds have seen on here use lighter color paint for trim. My wife loves the lighter colors of course but I'm very hesitant. I just wanted to get your thoughts on it. Do you get a lot of reflection?

I don't have any problems reflecting back on the screen. I have a fairly bright projector which is good cause the AT screen has a negative gain (around .8). I really think the black velvet around the screen has the biggest impact. It certainly has the floating image effect. The dark ceiling and dark carpet I think helps as well.

Paint is easy to fix later if you find it interfering with your image. I think it depends on what's important for you in design vs immersive experience.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
post #276 of 284 Old 09-17-2014, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I don't have any problems reflecting back on the screen. I have a fairly bright projector which is good cause the AT screen has a negative gain (around .8). I really think the black velvet around the screen has the biggest impact. It certainly has the floating image effect. The dark ceiling and dark carpet I think helps as well.

Paint is easy to fix later if you find it interfering with your image. I think it depends on what's important for you in design vs immersive experience.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
Nice to see an amazing HT in Houston. Spoke to Jeff today about ordering JTR 228's and Slanted 8HT's. He said it'll take a month or so. I'm going to use your theater as an inspiration. I'm still planning mine here in Cypress so let's see how it goes.
post #277 of 284 Old 09-17-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
Nice to see an amazing HT in Houston. Spoke to Jeff today about ordering JTR 228's and Slanted 8HT's. He said it'll take a month or so. I'm going to use your theater as an inspiration. I'm still planning mine here in Cypress so let's see how it goes.
Don't forget to start a build thread! We would love to see it unfold. Everybody around here seemed to finish their theaters around the same time so it's been a little dead as far as construction goes.
post #278 of 284 Old 09-17-2014, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nice..if you ever want to come over for a demo, let me know.

And watch the area GTG threads. We have had a couple of Houston home theater meets. The first was over by you at jautor's place. A very classy theater.
post #279 of 284 Old 09-17-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Nice..if you ever want to come over for a demo, let me know.

And watch the area GTG threads. We have had a couple of Houston home theater meets. The first was over by you at jautor's place. A very classy theater.
I bought my house almost 2 years ago and with new house and expenses and stuff, things have been getting delayed. I have put aside some cash, not too much though , so need to plan where to spend.

My room 12 X 22 in the first half and 14X22 in the later half and has those vaulted ceiling and some elevation in the back, it's not a clean and flat ceiling. I really love your night sky ceiling but I'm not sure it'd be possible on my HT room.

who did you use for the construction i.e. room modification. In fact I just PM'ed spaceman asking about his builder. I'd like to take care of the construction part first and decide on the speakers/subs (since they will be a part of the baffle wall).
post #280 of 284 Old 09-17-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Don't forget to start a build thread! We would love to see it unfold. Everybody around here seemed to finish their theaters around the same time so it's been a little dead as far as construction goes.
sure Jvoth. Just saw your HT, nice, clean and crisp. Lovely. There more I see people's HT, the more ideas I get, which is not good
post #281 of 284 Old 09-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I bought my house almost 2 years ago and with new house and expenses and stuff, things have been getting delayed. I have put aside some cash, not too much though , so need to plan where to spend.

My room 12 X 22 in the first half and 14X22 in the later half and has those vaulted ceiling and some elevation in the back, it's not a clean and flat ceiling. I really love your night sky ceiling but I'm not sure it'd be possible on my HT room.

who did you use for the construction i.e. room modification. In fact I just PM'ed spaceman asking about his builder. I'd like to take care of the construction part first and decide on the speakers/subs (since they will be a part of the baffle wall).
I was building my house at that time I negotiated with my builder for the modifications to their media room. They promote themselves as a semi custom builder but it was a battle to get them to do anything out of the norm.

Jautor may be able to give you a contact or two over there. He spoke highly of his guys.
post #282 of 284 Old 09-17-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I was building my house at that time I negotiated with my builder for the modifications to their media room. They promote themselves as a semi custom builder but it was a battle to get them to do anything out of the norm.

Jautor may be able to give you a contact or two over there. He spoke highly of his guys.
I PM'ed jautor last year or so and he did gave me the builder contact. Will call them tomorrow.

Also, do I need to have the plan/design ready first or could this builder give some of his ideas as well. I'd love to see a demo at your house at your convenience.

Also, I have to careful to stay at 30K or so. I can't spend much on the construction if I plan on spending 10K on speakers I might have to come one level down maybe in speakers and get the other fancy stuff like night sky ceiling. Thx for the pointers.
post #283 of 284 Old 09-18-2014, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
I PM'ed jautor last year or so and he did gave me the builder contact. Will call them tomorrow.

Also, do I need to have the plan/design ready first or could this builder give some of his ideas as well. I'd love to see a demo at your house at your convenience.

Also, I have to careful to stay at 30K or so. I can't spend much on the construction if I plan on spending 10K on speakers I might have to come one level down maybe in speakers and get the other fancy stuff like night sky ceiling. Thx for the pointers.
I would have the design first because the builder is not going to know anything about theater construction if you are going to sound proof and everything.
smuggymba likes this.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #284 of 284 Old 09-18-2014, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
I would have the design first because the builder is not going to know anything about theater construction if you are going to sound proof and everything.
I agree. You really need to know what you want. I think you can learn a ton on this site and then decide what you want in the room and how you want it to look. Also, think about things you might want in the room later if you upgrade equipment or whatever.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page