College Park's 4K Cinema v1.0 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #271 of 301 Unread 07-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Well....I've fallen in to the trap like most. I haven't done much to the Theater since it's mostly functional. I have been watching a lot of movies though.

I still need to figure out a good Universal Remote solution. Anyone like Bitwise around here?

I did however hook up something pretty cool this weekend.




And I can control the motion and amount of vibration from my chair.
7channelfreak is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 301 Unread 07-13-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
gdfein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
7channel - I had Bitwise and it may be a good system but the implementation of it I received was spotty for all my gadgets, and then when I wanted to make adjustments to the way it functioned, the lack of responsiveness from the dealer I had gone with was very frustrating. In the end I didn't like Bitwise at all but I'm sure that is the outfit I was getting support from. If you think this is a direction you want to consider, let me know as I have a BC1 controller collecting dust.


I then tinkered with iRule and I really liked that I could do all my own programming, and that if I ever changed gear I was ready to go and make control updates without waiting for a programmer. However I found that some of my devices, DTV, Oppo, Marantz, would drop their "gateway" connections. The learning curve for me was longer than I would have liked so I grew impatient.


Separately I had acquired some Control4 lighting products last year and I got connected with a C4 dealer that was willing to work with me to get might lighting working even though it was 2nd hand gear. He was real responsive and helpful and so when I mentioned my frustrations with Bitwise and iRule he convinced me to try C4 for my media room.

My favorite thing is that you can get the SR-250 remotes give me the tactile feel of a remote with buttons while the full suite of access via IOS. I know many people aren't fans of Control4 but I've been happy with it. I still have some refinements I want to make to the way my system works but for now I'm happy.

GDF

gdfein is offline  
post #273 of 301 Unread 08-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 72
AV Texan is hosting the Houston Home Theater group this evening. Hope to see you there.
7channelfreak is online now  
post #274 of 301 Unread 09-17-2014, 08:25 AM
Member
 
mthiggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Amazing theater 7channelfreak. Yours and the Rawlinsway theater are big inspirations for my current build. I wanted to ask how you like the lighter trim color. I've seen several mentions on the forum to stay away from light paint and keep the room dark which makes sense. However, some of the best builds have seen on here use lighter color paint for trim. My wife loves the lighter colors of course but I'm very hesitant. I just wanted to get your thoughts on it. Do you get a lot of reflection?
mthiggins is offline  
post #275 of 301 Unread 09-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthiggins View Post
Amazing theater 7channelfreak. Yours and the Rawlinsway theater are big inspirations for my current build. I wanted to ask how you like the lighter trim color. I've seen several mentions on the forum to stay away from light paint and keep the room dark which makes sense. However, some of the best builds have seen on here use lighter color paint for trim. My wife loves the lighter colors of course but I'm very hesitant. I just wanted to get your thoughts on it. Do you get a lot of reflection?

I don't have any problems reflecting back on the screen. I have a fairly bright projector which is good cause the AT screen has a negative gain (around .8). I really think the black velvet around the screen has the biggest impact. It certainly has the floating image effect. The dark ceiling and dark carpet I think helps as well.

Paint is easy to fix later if you find it interfering with your image. I think it depends on what's important for you in design vs immersive experience.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
7channelfreak is online now  
post #276 of 301 Unread 09-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Senior Member
 
smuggymba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I don't have any problems reflecting back on the screen. I have a fairly bright projector which is good cause the AT screen has a negative gain (around .8). I really think the black velvet around the screen has the biggest impact. It certainly has the floating image effect. The dark ceiling and dark carpet I think helps as well.

Paint is easy to fix later if you find it interfering with your image. I think it depends on what's important for you in design vs immersive experience.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
Nice to see an amazing HT in Houston. Spoke to Jeff today about ordering JTR 228's and Slanted 8HT's. He said it'll take a month or so. I'm going to use your theater as an inspiration. I'm still planning mine here in Cypress so let's see how it goes.
smuggymba is online now  
post #277 of 301 Unread 09-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
JVoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
Nice to see an amazing HT in Houston. Spoke to Jeff today about ordering JTR 228's and Slanted 8HT's. He said it'll take a month or so. I'm going to use your theater as an inspiration. I'm still planning mine here in Cypress so let's see how it goes.
Don't forget to start a build thread! We would love to see it unfold. Everybody around here seemed to finish their theaters around the same time so it's been a little dead as far as construction goes.
JVoth is online now  
post #278 of 301 Unread 09-17-2014, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
Nice to see an amazing HT in Houston. Spoke to Jeff today about ordering JTR 228's and Slanted 8HT's. He said it'll take a month or so. I'm going to use your theater as an inspiration. I'm still planning mine here in Cypress so let's see how it goes.
Nice..if you ever want to come over for a demo, let me know.

And watch the area GTG threads. We have had a couple of Houston home theater meets. The first was over by you at jautor's place. A very classy theater.
7channelfreak is online now  
post #279 of 301 Unread 09-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Senior Member
 
smuggymba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
Nice..if you ever want to come over for a demo, let me know.

And watch the area GTG threads. We have had a couple of Houston home theater meets. The first was over by you at jautor's place. A very classy theater.
I bought my house almost 2 years ago and with new house and expenses and stuff, things have been getting delayed. I have put aside some cash, not too much though , so need to plan where to spend.

My room 12 X 22 in the first half and 14X22 in the later half and has those vaulted ceiling and some elevation in the back, it's not a clean and flat ceiling. I really love your night sky ceiling but I'm not sure it'd be possible on my HT room.

who did you use for the construction i.e. room modification. In fact I just PM'ed spaceman asking about his builder. I'd like to take care of the construction part first and decide on the speakers/subs (since they will be a part of the baffle wall).
smuggymba is online now  
post #280 of 301 Unread 09-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Senior Member
 
smuggymba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Don't forget to start a build thread! We would love to see it unfold. Everybody around here seemed to finish their theaters around the same time so it's been a little dead as far as construction goes.
sure Jvoth. Just saw your HT, nice, clean and crisp. Lovely. There more I see people's HT, the more ideas I get, which is not good
smuggymba is online now  
post #281 of 301 Unread 09-17-2014, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
I bought my house almost 2 years ago and with new house and expenses and stuff, things have been getting delayed. I have put aside some cash, not too much though , so need to plan where to spend.

My room 12 X 22 in the first half and 14X22 in the later half and has those vaulted ceiling and some elevation in the back, it's not a clean and flat ceiling. I really love your night sky ceiling but I'm not sure it'd be possible on my HT room.

who did you use for the construction i.e. room modification. In fact I just PM'ed spaceman asking about his builder. I'd like to take care of the construction part first and decide on the speakers/subs (since they will be a part of the baffle wall).
I was building my house at that time I negotiated with my builder for the modifications to their media room. They promote themselves as a semi custom builder but it was a battle to get them to do anything out of the norm.

Jautor may be able to give you a contact or two over there. He spoke highly of his guys.
7channelfreak is online now  
post #282 of 301 Unread 09-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Senior Member
 
smuggymba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I was building my house at that time I negotiated with my builder for the modifications to their media room. They promote themselves as a semi custom builder but it was a battle to get them to do anything out of the norm.

Jautor may be able to give you a contact or two over there. He spoke highly of his guys.
I PM'ed jautor last year or so and he did gave me the builder contact. Will call them tomorrow.

Also, do I need to have the plan/design ready first or could this builder give some of his ideas as well. I'd love to see a demo at your house at your convenience.

Also, I have to careful to stay at 30K or so. I can't spend much on the construction if I plan on spending 10K on speakers I might have to come one level down maybe in speakers and get the other fancy stuff like night sky ceiling. Thx for the pointers.
smuggymba is online now  
post #283 of 301 Unread 09-18-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 2,941
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
I PM'ed jautor last year or so and he did gave me the builder contact. Will call them tomorrow.

Also, do I need to have the plan/design ready first or could this builder give some of his ideas as well. I'd love to see a demo at your house at your convenience.

Also, I have to careful to stay at 30K or so. I can't spend much on the construction if I plan on spending 10K on speakers I might have to come one level down maybe in speakers and get the other fancy stuff like night sky ceiling. Thx for the pointers.
I would have the design first because the builder is not going to know anything about theater construction if you are going to sound proof and everything.
smuggymba likes this.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Pain Infliction is online now  
post #284 of 301 Unread 09-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
I PM'ed jautor last year or so and he did gave me the builder contact. Will call them tomorrow.

Also, do I need to have the plan/design ready first or could this builder give some of his ideas as well. I'd love to see a demo at your house at your convenience.

Also, I have to careful to stay at 30K or so. I can't spend much on the construction if I plan on spending 10K on speakers I might have to come one level down maybe in speakers and get the other fancy stuff like night sky ceiling. Thx for the pointers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
I would have the design first because the builder is not going to know anything about theater construction if you are going to sound proof and everything.
I agree. You really need to know what you want. I think you can learn a ton on this site and then decide what you want in the room and how you want it to look. Also, think about things you might want in the room later if you upgrade equipment or whatever.
7channelfreak is online now  
post #285 of 301 Unread 10-31-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,744
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 939
Your room sure looks fantastic! I don't usually hang out in these dedicated space threads, so I missed it until I clicked your signature today.

Well Done!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is online now  
post #286 of 301 Unread 11-11-2014, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I just listed my 212Ht-lp for sale. I'm looking at moving up to the 215s.
Archaea likes this.
7channelfreak is online now  
post #287 of 301 Unread 11-11-2014, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Houston
Posts: 1,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 103
What? Your 212s probably still have that new JTR smell. Do I need to call for an intervention?

And more importantly, will 215s fit on the existing shelf?

Last edited by Spaceman; 11-11-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Spaceman is offline  
post #288 of 301 Unread 11-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
What? Your 212s probably still have that new JTR smell. Do I need to call for an intervention?

And more importantly, will 215s fit on the existing shelf?
I guess you'll have to come back over to see. Haha.

It's good to see you on here!!
7channelfreak is online now  
post #289 of 301 Unread 11-12-2014, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Houston
Posts: 1,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
It's good to see you on here!!
Got a notification that there was some action in this thread. Had to stop by and see if you had gone Atmos.

I'm hardly ever on here these days. Hammock Forums is where all the cool kids hang out.
Spaceman is offline  
post #290 of 301 Unread 11-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Got a notification that there was some action in this thread. Had to stop by and see if you had gone Atmos.

I'm hardly ever on here these days. Hammock Forums is where all the cool kids hang out.
Hey...since you brought it up...and since you were in my attic far more than me...see where this is going?

Do you think theres room for ceiling speakers mounted at the 9 foot corners?

[/URL
7channelfreak is online now  
post #291 of 301 Unread 11-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Got a notification that there was some action in this thread. Had to stop by and see if you had gone Atmos.

I'm hardly ever on here these days. Hammock Forums is where all the cool kids hang out.
And what do you talk about over on the hammock forum?....thread counts and weave patterns?
7channelfreak is online now  
post #292 of 301 Unread 11-12-2014, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Houston
Posts: 1,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I'm pretty sure the framing is such that you could fit some small ones up there. I remember things got tight in the front and along the left side of your room due to the roof but I'm pretty sure that would work. I'm not really familiar with ceiling speakers but I'm guessing most can be installed from within the room (pushed up into a hole) rather than from up in the attic (pushed down into a hole). If that's the case, than it's just a matter of fishing wire if there are any hard to reach spots and doing the rest from down in the room. I wouldn't worry about it. When are you starting v2.0?
Spaceman is offline  
post #293 of 301 Unread 11-12-2014, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 72
We ran that speaker wire for the heights and wides that I could pull to those locations in the ceiling. They already end in the equipment rack so it's a matter of added 4 ceiling speakers and a new receiver. I will wait and see what the Denon 7200 comes in at and what features it has before I get too involved. So...some time after the holiday.
Spaceman likes this.
7channelfreak is online now  
post #294 of 301 Unread 11-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Newbie
 
kbriers01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks great! You may have already said it, but what part of north Houston are you in? I'm in Harpers Preserve and I would love to come check it out sometime if you don't mind.
kbriers01 is offline  
post #295 of 301 Unread 11-12-2014, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Houston
Posts: 1,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
And what do you talk about over on the hammock forum?....thread counts and weave patterns?
Things actually get as detailed (and contentious) over there as they do here . Much of it consists of guys (and gals) sharing their DIY experiences, documenting their "builds" and discussing the finer points of synthetic fabric (ripstop nylon, silicone impregnated nylon), fabric weights, insulation (top quilts and bottom quilts), down vs. synthetic insulation, suspension components (straps, webbing, whoopie slings, continuous loops, titanium this and that), rope splicing, breaking strengths of various components, yada, yada....

Like AVS, there are owners threads to discuss pieces of gear made by specific manufacturers. There are the "show me" threads, but instead of "show me your stage", there is a "show me your thread injector", where everyone shows off their latest vintage sewing machine finds. And yes, men that make outdoor gear do not use "sewing machines". They use "thread injectors".
Spaceman is offline  
post #296 of 301 Unread 11-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbriers01 View Post
Looks great! You may have already said it, but what part of north Houston are you in? I'm in Harpers Preserve and I would love to come check it out sometime if you don't mind.
Well hello neighbor!! Same.

We have meets a few times a year around Houston. You should try to make one as it's always a great time.
7channelfreak is online now  
post #297 of 301 Unread 11-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Newbie
 
kbriers01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
Well hello neighbor!! Same.

We have meets a few times a year around Houston. You should try to make one as it's always a great time.
Sounds good. I will definitely try and go to them.

If your ever around Black Percher St. I'm at 8122 and would love to have a beer and meet a neighbor!
kbriers01 is offline  
post #298 of 301 Unread 11-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbriers01 View Post
Sounds good. I will definitely try and go to them.

If your ever around Black Percher St. I'm at 8122 and would love to have a beer and meet a neighbor!
We will have to get together soon. I'm on Knoll Dale.
7channelfreak is online now  
post #299 of 301 Unread 11-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Diesel 48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just curious to know what is the measurement from the center of the 212 horn to the floor? Thanks!
Diesel 48 is offline  
post #300 of 301 Unread 11-30-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Houston
Posts: 1,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post
Just curious to know what is the measurement from the center of the 212 horn to the floor? Thanks!
I believe it's right around 50", or half way between front row ear height and back row ear height.
Spaceman is offline  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off