College Park's 4K Cinema v1.0 - Page 12 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #331 of 358 Old 01-22-2015, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Can't remmember where I saw it but I was told the same thing that subs behind the velvet is ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 358 Old 02-15-2015, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Made a couple of changes to the LCR speakers.

Before.....

After....

Installing the new 2015 215RM
post #333 of 358 Old 02-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

I'm sure the pictures are blurry cause I was trying to manhandle these things and I'm fatigued as all get out. I'm just glad Spaceman made a trip over to help (as usual)!
post #334 of 358 Old 02-15-2015, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Notice a difference?
post #335 of 358 Old 02-16-2015, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Notice a difference?
Besides in my wallet? Ha ha

In some ways..yes. The problem is that it was 9 weeks since I sold my 212s and then received the 215RMs. I'm trying with a lower crossover but will need some time and measurements to say where I'll settle in. So far, I thinks it's a nice upgrade.

Hop you make it over to the next meet in a few weeks. Keep watching the Houston area meets thread.
post #336 of 358 Old 02-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 70
New meet?! I had no idea. Point me to the thread.
post #337 of 358 Old 02-16-2015, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
New meet?! I had no idea. Point me to the thread.
Houston and surrounding area meet!!!!!!!!!!!

The last few posts.
post #338 of 358 Old 02-16-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
Besides in my wallet? Ha ha

In some ways..yes. The problem is that it was 9 weeks since I sold my 212s and then received the 215RMs. I'm trying with a lower crossover but will need some time and measurements to say where I'll settle in. So far, I thinks it's a nice upgrade.

Hop you make it over to the next meet in a few weeks. Keep watching the Houston area meets thread.

Let me know when you want me to do some tuning.
post #339 of 358 Old 02-16-2015, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can I ask why the switch from the 212's to the 215 RM's? I ask because I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the 212's, along with 2 orbit shifters and some S8's

Appreciate your time,
Chad
post #340 of 358 Old 02-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuff View Post
Can I ask why the switch from the 212's to the 215 RM's? I ask because I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the 212's, along with 2 orbit shifters and some S8's

Appreciate your time,
Chad
Hey Chad

I wanted to try something closer to full range for 2 channel music.
You'll be very happy with your choices.
post #341 of 358 Old 02-23-2015, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Thanks! It was spaceman's recommendation. It turned out really well but now I've got to decide if I really want to put Atmos speakers in it.
Hi, Did you ever decide how you were going to implement Atmos? We are building a home this year with a dedicated theater room. I was planning on doing the ceiling very similar to yours. I thought that I saw a post where you were considering using the inner tray/soffit. Do you have any recommendations for me in regard to the ceiling/atmos? Your ceiling is awesome.
post #342 of 358 Old 02-23-2015, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
Hi, Did you ever decide how you were going to implement Atmos? We are building a home this year with a dedicated theater room. I was planning on doing the ceiling very similar to yours. I thought that I saw a post where you were considering using the inner tray/soffit. Do you have any recommendations for me in regard to the ceiling/atmos? Your ceiling is awesome.
Thank you!

That would be my first preference (inner soffit) but I'm probably going to have to go with inceiling in the mural. The angles only really work that way. I'm going to get something as flush mount as possible. But...I'm holding off till I see what DTS:X is going to recommend before I jump in with both feet.
post #343 of 358 Old 02-23-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you!

That would be my first preference (inner soffit) but I'm probably going to have to go with inceiling in the mural. The angles only really work that way. I'm going to get something as flush mount as possible. But...I'm holding off till I see what DTS:X is going to recommend before I jump in with both feet.
Yeah. I haven't seen a recommended speaker setup yet to support all of the new formats. I was wondering if I should make the inner soffit wider to allow more space for speakers...but that might look bad. Maybe widening both would be a better option.
post #344 of 358 Old 02-23-2015, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah. I haven't seen a recommended speaker setup yet to support all of the new formats. I was wondering if I should make the inner soffit wider to allow more space for speakers...but that might look bad. Maybe widening both would be a better option.
If you can drag your feet some till DTS announced their proper configuration in March, it might save some frustration later. I guess it depends on your timelines.

You have a build thread?
post #345 of 358 Old 02-23-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
If you can drag your feet some till DTS announced their proper configuration in March, it might save some frustration later. I guess it depends on your timelines.

You have a build thread?

We are still doing house plans. Currently, the new house with the future theater room is just an empty lot with a bunch of trees. I'm just trying to plan as much as I can in advance. I will have the builder do as much as possible...so it won't really be DIY. We were hoping to start building in March but there have been delays in the plans.
post #346 of 358 Old 02-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
We are still doing house plans. Currently, the new house with the future theater room is just an empty lot with a bunch of trees. I'm just trying to plan as much as I can in advance. I will have the builder do as much as possible...so it won't really be DIY. We were hoping to start building in March but there have been delays in the plans.
Oh if you look at the beginning of this thread, a large chunk of my room was done by the contractor. I had to take a finished room and I tried to get it to as close as I could to the final plans. So I know exactly how that goes. Good luck with the house and keep us posted.
post #347 of 358 Old 04-12-2015, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

7channelfreak and I have been working on a day that fits into both of our schedules where I could come and check out his new Dirac DDRC-88A DSP and MiniDSP and get his theater tuned. We connected the Dirac from the avr into his seven channel amp and the miniDSP in between the dirac and subs. Now the fun begins! I set up the mics and took a baseline reading.

I forgot to calibrate the baseline reading to actual SPL in this measurement, but I fixed that later during the measurements.

Now I tuned each sub individually (I prefer it this way in this scenario) and added necessary delay because the rear sub was closer than the front sub. 7channelfreak did not want the subs level matched because he didn't want the rear sub to make people's teeth chatter or bones to rattle, so level matching was not done. However, the subs bled nicely together and you can not localize them anywhere in the theater. This is helped out by lowering the upper frequencies of the back sub slightly, and being that it is already lower in SPL, you do not have to lower them that much.

This is what I measured after tuning.
Black is rear sub.
Green is front sub.
Blue is both subs.
When you get your subs time aligned correctly, the collective measurement should be parallel to the main sub which is exactly what I was able to achieve here. Or parallel to the rear sub and front sub averaged.

I personally like to tune the subs before running any room correction software for a couple of reasons. First, if you ever change anything and want to run the correction software again, you will already have your subs tuned and time aligned. Less work will need to be done by you and the room correction software. Second, I feel like manually tuning works out better with setting delays and for getting a flatter response or a house curve.

Now that the bass was done, it was time for Dirac to do it's thing. Ran nine sweeps with Dirac and adjusted the curves until there was a great response. This took a while because this was new to me and I was really nit-picking trying to get a super flat response in the upper frequencies. I was shocked at the bass boost on the low end! It looks like a crazy house curve that I would do to my theater. That flat response that I got with the miniDSP was out the window at this point, but I would have implemented a house curve anyway, probably not like that right off the bat though, hahahaha! I asked 7channelfreak if he wanted to try it out to see how he liked it with movies and then we could go from there. While he was demoing some bass heavy scenes I was checking input levels and output levels on the DSP's and the SpeakerPower amps on the back of his Captivator S2's. I was expecting some clipping on at least one device and surprisingly there was headroom at reference volumes! This to me is a great testament JTR Speakers and makes me miss my S2 that I sold not too long ago. The JTR 215RM speakers sounded fantastic at super loud volumes! The blend of them and the S2's together was seamless and addicting, meaning I wanted to hear more and more music. Hotel California by the Eagles sounded so fantastic, and I thought that it was a bluray because of the sound quality. I was shocked when 7channelfreak told me that it was just a CD. Mind blown!

After watching a few demos and listening to some music tracks, we both agreed that nothing needed to be done at this point. Here is the final chart after eq on everything.

Here is some more pics because we all like to look at pics!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1218.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	662346   Click image for larger version

Name:	baseline.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	662354   Click image for larger version

Name:	subs after eq.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	662362   Click image for larger version

Name:	chart.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	662450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1219.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	662474  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1222.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	662482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1223.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	662490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1224.jpg
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	662498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1225.jpg
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	662506  
carp, avtexan and Jeff Permanian like this.

Last edited by Pain Infliction; 04-13-2015 at 06:36 PM.
post #348 of 358 Old 04-12-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Wow, what a frequency response!!!

Did you do any measurements in the other seats pre/post Dirac? If so, how were they affected?

Looks like fun guys, I really want to try Dirac someday and wish I had it for the upcoming GTG. So many times I almost bought the 88A in the last couple months.
post #349 of 358 Old 04-12-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I started out with the other seats but then mainly focused in on the MLP. Carp this entire process took HOURS! I can try another day and get some measurements post tune in other seats to show how they vary, but I was super exhausted after this process. I went to bed at 9:30 last night and slept 10 hours which is unheard of in my life. I even missed church this morning just because of my long work week last week and tuning yesterday. Sounds like I am crying now.......so I am going to leave it at that haha.

I also want to add that this Dirac model is really awesome! The more I used it the more I loved it. I love being in total control of the entire bandwidth and this unit enables you to do so. I heard that minidsp is coming out with another model that is half the price, so you might want to wait a little bit.

The 215RM's are playable below 20hz as well. I knew that they would be, but I just wanted to confirm this.

Last edited by Pain Infliction; 04-12-2015 at 08:33 AM.
post #350 of 358 Old 04-12-2015, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

It's good to have friends. Ha!! PI has a great ear and with his skills in REW, we did finally get to see how Dirac performed. And in my opinion, it is a far supior tool than Audyssey. I've had some luck with Audyssey in the past but I just wasn't ever happy with it in this room. I can say that I'm ecstatic with the adjustability and flexibility of Dirac and the 88a. Now I get to spend some time enjoying some movies and music again.

I need to publicly thank Spaceman and Pain again for all their help as I get to enjoy a room that exceeds anything I though I'd ever have. You guys are great friends!

Last edited by 7channelfreak; 04-12-2015 at 08:48 AM.
post #351 of 358 Old 04-12-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
I started out with the other seats but then mainly focused in on the MLP. Carp this entire process took HOURS! I can try another day and get some measurements post tune in other seats to show how they vary, but I was super exhausted after this process. I went to bed at 9:30 last night and slept 10 hours which is unheard of in my life. I even missed church this morning just because of my long work week last week and tuning yesterday. Sounds like I am crying now.......so I am going to leave it at that haha.

I also want to add that this Dirac model is really awesome! The more I used it the more I loved it. I love being in total control of the entire bandwidth and this unit enables you to do so. I heard that minidsp is coming out with another model that is half the price, so you might want to wait a little bit.

The 215RM's are playable below 20hz as well. I knew that they would be, but I just wanted to confirm this.
I hear yoiu as as far as how long it took, I'd be messing with that thing for ever I'm sure. Sounds awesome... I have to get one when funds allow
post #352 of 358 Old 04-13-2015, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Looka like you guys had some fun over the weekend.
Pain Infliction likes this.
post #353 of 358 Old 04-14-2015, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
Looka like you guys had some fun over the weekend.
Well well well....look who stopped by. We did have some fun. Now we need to figure out the inceiling S8s for Atmos.
Jeff Permanian likes this.
post #354 of 358 Old 04-15-2015, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Right Wall

Do you happen to know the color of dark grey used here?

My Theater Room JVC RS4910, Panamorph UH480, 148 in. 2.40:1 Dalite HD Pro 1.3, Klipsch THX Ultra II's x 7, Quad JTR Captivator S1 subs
My Previous Non-Dedicated space
post #355 of 358 Old 04-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post
Do you happen to know the color of dark grey used here?
Behr Premium Plus Interior Eggshell Enamel. Color: Sled #750F-6

It was picked as it matched the dark grey in the carpet.
post #356 of 358 Old 04-21-2015, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Brilliant looking theater. I wanted to ask a million questions when you stopped by -

I hope to have a theater of this quality someday.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review - Motion 40 and HTD Level 2 Tower review coming "soon"!
Receiver : Denon x4000
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s - HTD Level 2 Towers, surrounds
Subwoofer : PB1000 (soon to be duals!)
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
post #357 of 358 Old 04-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Brilliant looking theater. I wanted to ask a million questions when you stopped by -

I hope to have a theater of this quality someday.
Oh I'm glad to talk some shop later. With this head cold, Im just in a bubble. Shoot me a PM or we can chat on the phone in a few days. I'm glad to share my experiences.
post #358 of 358 Old 04-22-2015, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Oh I'm glad to talk some shop later. With this head cold, Im just in a bubble. Shoot me a PM or we can chat on the phone in a few days. I'm glad to share my experiences.
That's a deal!

I'm sure you noticed a few things as well that I could improve on, or add.
(Like why I have 4 towers and too small of a bed - funny story actually)

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review - Motion 40 and HTD Level 2 Tower review coming "soon"!
Receiver : Denon x4000
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s - HTD Level 2 Towers, surrounds
Subwoofer : PB1000 (soon to be duals!)
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page