Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 272 Old 01-15-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Spaceman, 7Channelfreak, jautor, AggiePilk, gdfein, and any other Houstonians...........I am trying to set up a meet and trying to see if you guys are interested. Here is the link to the thread.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 272 Old 01-24-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
A little more progress. As mentioned previously, we had to abandon the idea of using DMD fabric in a charcoal color due to quality control issues.
So instead of upper walls in Behr Premium Plus Interior Eggshell Enamel-Color: Sled #750F-6

with panels wrapped in Charcoal DMD fabric

We now have upper walls in Valspar Signature Interior Matte-Color: Midnight #EB42-1

with panels wrapped in Baltic GOM FR701 fabric

The panels with the new fabric should arrive Monday, so hopefully we can get those on the wall and trimmed out next week.

Yesterday, the muralists started painting the night sky on the ceiling. They will be back on Monday to continue their magic and hopefully wrap things up on Tuesday. I'm excited to see the finished product since it will be a little different than the star ceilings we are all used to seeing.

Today, I finished the mini-riser for the 3 chairs that will sit in the back row. Since the chairs arrived earlier in the week, it was time to cross that item off the to-do list. Didn't get any pics but will be sure to post some later. Basically, a 1-1/2" high base made from 2x4s on their sides, covered by 2 layers of 3/4" osb, for a total boost of 3". The osb sticks out 2" past the 2x4 base to provide a lip and the whole thing is wrapped in black indoor/outdoor carpet. It's sized to just fit under the footprint of the new chairs (90" long x 32" wide).

I also installed the Insteon keypad just outside the theater door, so it can be turned on when entering the room. The original electrical box that held the builder's dimmer was in an awkward spot (inside the theater but more than 2' away from the door). The original plan was to just relocate it closer to the door, but putting it just outside the entry door simplified fabric panel installation.

Here are the latest shots of the room.

carp likes this.
post #93 of 272 Old 01-25-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks great. That color really pops in there too!

- Leon Phelps
post #94 of 272 Old 01-25-2014, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The room looks great guys. I do have a question. For my theater, I just ordered DMD fabric. I got Navy for the walls and ceiling. It's still wrapped in saran wrap since I haven't quite gotten that far yet. What was the blemish that you were speaking of? I'm a little nervous about taking it out of the wrap because I don't have anywhere to store the fabric if I can't get rolled back up nice and tight like it was. Did you happen to take pictures?
post #95 of 272 Old 01-25-2014, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think 7channelfreak has some pictures he could post. It was basically a "run" that ran the entire length of the roll that became visible at certain angles. I don't think it was limited to charcoal so definitely do a close inspection.
post #96 of 272 Old 01-25-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

The room looks great guys. I do have a question. For my theater, I just ordered DMD fabric. I got Navy for the walls and ceiling. It's still wrapped in saran wrap since I haven't quite gotten that far yet. What was the blemish that you were speaking of? I'm a little nervous about taking it out of the wrap because I don't have anywhere to store the fabric if I can't get rolled back up nice and tight like it was. Did you happen to take pictures?

The guys at Kinetics Home Theater sent these pictures. It's hard to see straight on but you look at the side angle and it's obvious. Kinetics also said that just looking at the roll, its difficult to find the flaw. But when you stretch it on the panel, it really jumps out. I loved the material and that would still be my preference but I had panels that were 6 plus feet in length and to have a flaw running down all of them in the middle just wasn't going to work.

Id' make sure you know your return policy before you get too far in to the project and decide you can't live with it.

post #97 of 272 Old 01-25-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

I did find a GOM fabric that is close to DMD. They have a blue that certainly falls in the navy category. It's called...Power Play J613 (blue 03). You might want to look at that if you have to return the DMD.

I'm not sure if you saw the mention of the get-to-gether in mid February (post #91) but it would be a good time to see jautors room (very classy) and pick some brains on home theater design.
post #98 of 272 Old 01-27-2014, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Looks great ! Question did you builder use any soundproofing in the Room - GG - double Drywall etc...

I have a finished room in my basement that I am planning on turning into a theater.  Trying to figure out if it is worth taking it down to the studs and add clips or just Add another layer of Drywall with Green glue.

I look forward to following your progress. 

post #99 of 272 Old 01-27-2014, 09:43 AM

Nothing other than pink fluffy in all walls and cavities. I had to take a finished room from the builder or I might have been more aggressive with soundproofing. Maybe.

From what I've seen here and following Big's threads, it seems to be an all or nothing approach. Just adding another layer wasn't much benefit to those that have done that. I'd certainly ask around but I think I'll be perfectly happy without it. The room seems to be pretty quiet and I don't think I'll regret my decision. Time will tell. I'd certainly get all the particulars together and post a thread for input. There are lots of very helpful people here. And with soundproofing there can be some opposing views. It really depends on your needs, wants, and budget.

Welcome to AVS!
post #100 of 272 Old 01-28-2014, 06:32 PM

Liked: 11
I have to know where you got the movie posters from, they are awesome!
post #101 of 272 Old 01-28-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post

I have to know where you got the movie posters from, they are awesome!

http://www.davidokeefe.com/default.aspx
post #102 of 272 Old 01-29-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We Have Panels! (sort of)

A 450lb crate showed up on 7channellfreak's doorstep on Monday. The good news is it contained 9 acoustic panels. The bad news is the crate was severely damaged and 2 of the 9 panels did not survive the journey. However, we do have 7 healthy panels, so the show must go on.

The panels are hung on these impaler clips. After marking the studs behind each panel, I installed 4 clips for the small panels, 6 for the medium panels and 8 for the large panel. They work great.

With the help of 7channelfreak and a laser level, we managed to get 5 panels hung and will complete the rest once the muralists get their scaffolding out of the room (and the 2 damaged panels get replaced). Without perimeter trim:

The panels are 2" thick, so we needed a build up of trim to get the proportions to work. We decided on an inner piece of flat stock on edge surrounded by bed moulding. This leaves about a 1/2" of panel exposed. After caulking, the trim will be painted gray to match the lower wall.

Panel with flat stock

And combination of flat stock + bed moulding (panel on right doesn't have bed moulding yet)

Ceiling progress-This is the first "layer" of the mural after the first day of painting. The muralists need another 1 to 1-1/2 days to complete it.

PaulFSemicolen likes this.
post #103 of 272 Old 01-30-2014, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Great build! Concerning the panels, how did you decide on the type of soundproofing panels, are they all same material or different, did u just give the guys at kinetics the size of the panels and let them decide what type of absorbing/diffusing to use etc.
post #104 of 272 Old 01-30-2014, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Using Tony Grimani's coverage guidelines and concept of alternating absorption with diffusion (links to his acoustic video chats are below), we went with three different panel types.

The Hardside panel was used on both side walls closest to the screen.

For diffusion, we placed TAD panels in the middle of the side and rear walls.

And for a little more low frequency absorption, we placed Versatune panels in the rear corners of the side walls and the corners of the back wall (with the exception of panel #6 since it was so small and we were looking to save a little $$)

Kinetics liked the layout. 7channelfreak also had Jeff Meier swing by for a preliminary look. He would have made a few changes, but was pretty happy with what we were doing. He would have flipped the panel sequence on one of the walls so absorption on one wall was opposite diffusion on the other. He also would have added some diffusion to the screen wall, where we currently have 100% absorption. He'll be back to dial things in in a few months.

These are interesting videos regarding acoustics, including treatment concepts:
Acoustics 101 with Tony Grimani
Acoustics 102 with Tony Grimani
hagsi likes this.
post #105 of 272 Old 01-30-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Subscribed! Thanks for the info on absorption panels. Good stuff!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread

post #106 of 272 Old 01-30-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Looks like a nice HT space being established, and can I say ..... YOU SUCK for getting that sweet VW600ES PJ tongue.gif

I'm curious how those side wall TAD's work for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

Looks like everything else will come to a stop now......Haha

The New Sony 4K VW600ES Projector
post #107 of 272 Old 01-30-2014, 12:31 PM

Haha. Thanks. Hopefully I'll be in the room in a couple of weeks and see how it all comes together.
post #108 of 272 Old 01-31-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Very nice Job guys. Thats a sweet looking room, and that ceiling / mural is fantastic

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #109 of 272 Old 01-31-2014, 09:40 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

If my front wall looks anything remotely close to this picture, I will be thrilled!  Glad to see everything is coming together.  Keep the pics coming!:D

post #110 of 272 Old 01-31-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just got my 600ES installed yesterday! Have had zero time to play but the little bit of DTV I watched was awesome!

post #111 of 272 Old 01-31-2014, 06:38 PM

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Liked: 23
Love that ceiling!!! It's beautiful. Wish I had the talent to paint the daytime murals too. smile.gif

Looks like the room is coming along nicely!

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook
Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

post #112 of 272 Old 01-31-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post

Just got my 600ES installed yesterday! Have had zero time to play but the little bit of DTV I watched was awesome!

Let me know your thoughts since I'm a couple of weeks away from getting mine going.

You coming to the Houston Theater GTG? (Post 91)
post #113 of 272 Old 01-31-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

Love that ceiling!!! It's beautiful. Wish I had the talent to paint the daytime murals too. smile.gif

Looks like the room is coming along nicely!

Jeff

We used your paint today to create the glow stars. We'll get some pictures up next week.
post #114 of 272 Old 01-31-2014, 07:31 PM

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Nice! How is the glow with the lights off? Whenever I've mixed white paint with it... the glow is diminished. Were you guys able to get a good glow out of it? If not, I will be in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio this coming week and can get you more paint, if you'd like.

Shoot me an email if you'd like some.

Jeff

Quote:

We used your paint today to create the glow stars. We'll get some pictures up next week.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #115 of 272 Old 01-31-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Let me know your thoughts since I'm a couple of weeks away from getting mine going.

You coming to the Houston Theater GTG? (Post 91)

I'm gonna try and make it to the GTG at Jeff's. Would really like to meet everyone. As we get closer I'll know my work sitch better.

The 600ES is my first PJ so I'm blown away on many levels. I was going to do the 95ES but then decided to dive all the way in.

post #116 of 272 Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

Nice! How is the glow with the lights off? Whenever I've mixed white paint with it... the glow is diminished. Were you guys able to get a good glow out of it? If not, I will be in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio this coming week and can get you more paint, if you'd like.

Shoot me an email if you'd like some.

Jeff

We had the same concern so we finished the mural and then comeback in and went over some of the white stars with your uv glow paint. I think it turned out really well. You are certainly welcome to take a look and give us some feedback if you have time.
post #117 of 272 Old 01-31-2014, 08:51 PM

OK, good.... that's what I was hoping you did.

I will be scrambling to get to all three cities I'm painting in... then back to the airport before I fly to Chicago, but if I have some extra time in the schedule, I would be happy to run by and take a look at your theater. From the pictures it's beautiful. If I can't make it on this trip... I'm sure I'll be back in Texas within a few months. But, I'm sure you guys have it under control. Just shoot me an email if you need anything.

Jeff

Quote:

We had the same concern so we finished the mural and then comeback in and went over some of the white stars with your uv glow paint. I think it turned out really well. You are certainly welcome to take a look and give us some feedback if you have time.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #118 of 272 Old 02-03-2014, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hannon Designs finished up the ceiling mural on Friday and I got to see the finished product for the first time today. I think 7channelfreak was a little worried I didn't like it because I initially didn't say much. I think that's because my jaw was on the floor.

The first 3 photos are all taken from the same angle, but with different lighting.

Under normal light (no black light, no rope light)

Rope light only

Black light only
IMG_5139_zps8b56f07f.jpg

They used a variety of techniques to provide different effects under different lighting conditions. Some of the stars are done with regular white paint so they show up under normal light. Other stars are done with glow in the dark paint so they charge under black light and are visible in the dark. They also used a glow in the dark paint that only shows up under black light but disappears when the black lights are off. Some of the "clouds" or atmosphere were created with this paint. Under black light, it gives the illusion of distant lightning or some type of solar storm. I'm beyond impressed with the finished product.

Atmosphere effects under black light

Close up under normal light (a little overexposed)
post #119 of 272 Old 02-03-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

That looks so sick! Very nice!

- Leon Phelps
post #120 of 272 Old 02-03-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Wow! eek.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page