1Likes

post #181 of 272 Old 02-14-2014, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Are you not wanting another S2 or will that not fit?

That's what I'm still thinking. Or an S1. Not sure it's needed for just smoothing but I sure like the thought. (Neighbors on the other hand may have a very different opinion)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 272 Old 02-14-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

That's what I'm still thinking. Or an S1. Not sure it's needed for just smoothing but I sure like the thought. (Neighbors on the other hand may have a very different opinion)

I would seriously think you'd be better off with two S1's rather than one S2. I'm sadden to see my S2 leave my room but room size was a big issue due to FR. Having a pair of S1's in back may be better for integration across all seating.
Don't know your room size..........but multiples are the way to go from my experience.....

JTR products are the real deal......my S2 sold in less than a week! I will miss that sub, it was a great one!
post #183 of 272 Old 02-14-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

I would seriously think you'd be better off with two S1's rather than one S2. I'm sadden to see my S2 leave my room but room size was a big issue due to FR. Having a pair of S1's in back may be better for integration across all seating.
Don't know your room size..........but multiples are the way to go from my experience.....

JTR products are the real deal......my S2 sold in less than a week! I will miss that sub, it was a great one!

Oh I already have an S2 on the front wall. Just trying to decide what the second sub should be in the back of the room.
post #184 of 272 Old 02-14-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:

Oh I already have an S2 on the front wall. Just trying to decide what the second sub should be in the back of the room.

My suggestions were for back as I knew you had an S2 up front.

My suggestion would be your S2 up front with dual S1's in back. Sorry for confusion.....
post #185 of 272 Old 02-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Maybe I missed it but what was the reason for the mini riser when the room had a step down to the front row already?

post #186 of 272 Old 02-15-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittletank View Post

Maybe I missed it but what was the reason for the mini riser when the room had a step down to the front row already?

7channelfreak had his builder construct the main riser as part of the original house construction. We needed a total rise of 10" but they would only provide a 7" riser due to issues with the door header. Adding a mini-riser gave us the extra 3" we needed to maintain proper sightlines.
post #187 of 272 Old 02-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Thanks!

post #188 of 272 Old 02-16-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Wow looks great! Quick question though regarding the set up of the rear speakers. The Dolby guidelines for 7.1 show the rears pointing to the MLP but I see most people with 7.1 just pointing them straight forward. Is there a reason for this?

I think we might have missed your question. Attached is the suggested placement for surrounds with Dolby and THX. I have direct radiating speakers with about a 100 degree dispersion pattern. You don't have to have a speaker aimed right at you to hear it. Earlier in Pro Logic days, most believed a more diffused sound with Bipolar or Dipolar speakers were the way to go. I'm sure there are still those that prefer that. I'm leaning more towards the thought that there will be more and more object based sound mixes as Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D Sound get pushed to residential.

post #189 of 272 Old 02-16-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I think we might have missed your question. Attached is the suggested placement for surrounds with Dolby and THX. I have direct radiating speakers with about a 100 degree dispersion pattern. You don't have to have a speaker aimed right at you to hear it. Earlier in Pro Logic days, most believed a more diffused sound with Bipolar or Dipolar speakers were the way to go. I'm sure there are still those that prefer that. I'm leaning more towards the thought that there will be more and more object based sound mixes as Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D Sound get pushed to residential.

I've had both and personally found bipolar/dipolar to be too diffuse sounding for my tastes.

Bob
post #190 of 272 Old 02-16-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I have almost the same size room, 14X16, I have been battling AT vs fixed screen and decided to go fixed. I also have JTR Noeisis 212's, but I also have Danley Sound Labs SM60F's which I think I am going to favor, that is still to be determined. I also have dual PSA Triax's which should be more than enough bass. I have decided to skip a row of seats and goto a 3 seat or 4 seat single row which will give me about 12' to 13' viewing.
post #191 of 272 Old 02-16-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I have almost the same size room, 14X16, I have been battling AT vs fixed screen and decided to go fixed. I also have JTR Noeisis 212's, but I also have Danley Sound Labs SM60F's which I think I am going to favor, that is still to be determined. I also have dual PSA Triax's which should be more than enough bass. I have decided to skip a row of seats and goto a 3 seat or 4 seat single row which will give me about 12' to 13' viewing.

I wish I was longer so my first row would be over 10 ft. But we all have to work with what we got. Let me know your thoughts on those Danleys.
post #192 of 272 Old 02-16-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:

You room looks great, just beautiful. I am curious how do the 212's sound that close to your viewing? I was thinking that they may a little to big on sound in my room. What do you think?
post #193 of 272 Old 02-17-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 210
7channelfeack, it was great meeting you, just realized you have a build thread. Great room, looking forward to see the end result.
7channelfreak likes this.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #194 of 272 Old 02-17-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

7channelfeack, it was great meeting you, just realized you have a build thread. Great room, looking forward to see the end result.

at the next GTG? biggrin.gif

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #195 of 272 Old 02-17-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

Leo...it was so great meeting you. I wish we would have had more time to chat. Hopefully we can do it again one day. And thank you again for all you did for us!!
post #196 of 272 Old 02-17-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

at the next GTG? biggrin.gif

remember that talk we had about friends just brining us down....?

hahaha.. maybe in the fall. I still have lots to do before that happens.

it was good seeing you buddy!
Robert Jones II likes this.
post #197 of 272 Old 02-17-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I hear you!! My original plan was to add on to my room and get another 12 feet in length, but my original contractor bailed on me and just never showed again. I think I had 5 guys and they all agreed to take the job and disappeared. It is a joke here with contractors. I decided that I would just keep the room as is and just get more for my room and if I could not find a builder, I would just do it myself and allot easier than adding on.

I winded up getting a contractor to do the build, he is the right guy for the job and I am excited he is doing it. My only problem is I have to get him to do what "I" want. Allot has to be done, 9 windows removed and completely gutted to the studs. I want an AT screen so bad, but I am looking at 9 or10' and I am not sure I will like that. But you know the saying, " A theater is never finished" Maybe down the road and as my wife said, when we move we will find the right house for a proper theater build.

You room looks great, just beautiful. I am curious how do the 212's sound that close to your viewing? I was thinking that they may a little to big on sound in my room. What do you think?

I will of coarse be spending more time in the room now that we are getting close to being finished. I finally fired up the projector yesterday some.

As far as the 212s....I went to KC to actually hear the difference between the 228s and the 212s. And i completely agree with all that has been said. They sound a lot alike but musically, the 212s just have this much larger soundstage. And that's the biggest reason I went with them. I like that wide sound feel. I sit roughly 9 feet away and they are almost 9 feet apart. I wish I was just a tad further back but I have zero complaints with them so far.

keep us updated on your space. sounds like a big project.
post #198 of 272 Old 02-17-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:

I will of coarse be spending more time in the room now that we are getting close to being finished. I finally fired up the projector yesterday some.

As far as the 212s....I went to KC to actually hear the difference between the 228s and the 212s. And i completely agree with all that has been said. They sound a lot alike but musically, the 212s just have this much larger soundstage. And that's the biggest reason I went with them. I like that wide sound feel. I sit roughly 9 feet away and they are almost 9 feet apart. I wish I was just a tad further back but I have zero complaints with them so far.

keep us updated on your space. sounds like a big project.

I tinker all the time with speaker placement but I keep going back to how I had them setup when you were here. Each speaker is 9.5 feet from my head and they are 11.5 feet apart toe in is aimed to intersect right behind my head. I know toeing them in more will give a wider sweet spot but when it's just me listening to music that doesn't matter. The front baffle of the speakers is 4 feet from the front wall. The imaging is incredible like this even though I know I'm breaking the rule of the equal-lateral triangle. When I move the speakers in towards each other more I don't feel like there is as much separation between the instruments - and I've gone back and forth so many times.

Now, for movies when I have a bunch of people in the room I place them closer to the front wall. I moved a couple of my subs to the back of the room so now the outside subs are now used as speaker stands for movies (still use the regular stands for music).

In the movie configuration the mains are 12 feet apart but 11.6 feet back from the head of the person in the main LP and the baffle is 2 feet from the front wall. The room coverage is better this way which is why I think I'll like this better for movies.

Kind of nuts to have to move the speakers for a movie night but oh well I don't mind.

So, long story short, I think you are more than fine with your distance from the speakers and their distance from each other. smile.gif
post #199 of 272 Old 02-17-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

remember that talk we had about friends just brining us down....?

hahaha.. maybe in the fall. I still have lots to do before that happens.

it was good seeing you buddy!

Likewise. If you need any help just hit me up. You probably have everything covered but i am hear if you need me, and I don't mean yard work or taking out your trash. biggrin.gif

- Leon Phelps
post #200 of 272 Old 02-17-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:

I tinker all the time with speaker placement but I keep going back to how I had them setup when you were here. Each speaker is 9.5 feet from my head and they are 11.5 feet apart toe in is aimed to intersect right behind my head. I know toeing them in more will give a wider sweet spot but when it's just me listening to music that doesn't matter. The front baffle of the speakers is 4 feet from the front wall. The imaging is incredible like this even though I know I'm breaking the rule of the equal-lateral triangle. When I move the speakers in towards each other more I don't feel like there is as much separation between the instruments - and I've gone back and forth so many times.

Now, for movies when I have a bunch of people in the room I place them closer to the front wall. I moved a couple of my subs to the back of the room so now the outside subs are now used as speaker stands for movies (still use the regular stands for music).

In the movie configuration the mains are 12 feet apart but 11.6 feet back from the head of the person in the main LP and the baffle is 2 feet from the front wall. The room coverage is better this way which is why I think I'll like this better for movies.

Kind of nuts to have to move the speakers for a movie night but oh well I don't mind.

So, long story short, I think you are more than fine with your distance from the speakers and their distance from each other. smile.gif

Carp

You input is always appreciated. I know you have listened to these things more than anyone on here.

Funny story....we had a GTG in Houston this weekend and a couple people asked what it was like at your place. They have seen our discussions here. This is what it reminded me of.

post #201 of 272 Old 02-17-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
After the GTG, this is the appropriate meme... biggrin.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #202 of 272 Old 02-17-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Carp

You input is always appreciated. I know you have listened to these things more than anyone on here.

Funny story....we had a GTG in Houston this weekend and a couple people asked what it was like at your place. They have seen our discussions here. This is what it reminded me of.

Hahaha, that's so funny... because it's true.... eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #203 of 272 Old 02-17-2014, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
You mean there was beer at this meet?? Nobody told me that! wink.gif
post #204 of 272 Old 02-17-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like the Houston Chapter had a good time! cool.gifsmile.gif
post #205 of 272 Old 02-18-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like the Houston Chapter had a good time! cool.gifsmile.gif

It was a great time! I was one of those people that asked about experiencing your setup.

- Leon Phelps
post #206 of 272 Old 02-19-2014, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 58

Well.......how does the Sony PJ look?  Happy?  What was the 1st movie?

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
post #207 of 272 Old 02-20-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtexan View Post

Well.......how does the Sony PJ look?  Happy?  What was the 1st movie?

Haha...I have spent more time looking at the Demos than anything really. But...my first official movie was Argo. Sad.....or Funny part...it was because I was too tired after hooking up equipment that I didn't want to have to figure out how to zoom and it was 16x9. There it is.....the truth. Ha! Maybe I do need a lens after all.

I'm still not done with the hook-up on everything but maybe this weekend. I'm having communication errors with my Sony 4-K server. I had it up running easy before we actually moved it to the room but now the Sony tablet can't find it on the network. I will get it figured out eventually. Sony is suggesting installing a subnet as they aren't sure how my Apple Airport Extreme communicates. I just haven't had the time to mess with it yet.

How is the Sim2?? As soon as you are ready for a visit, let me know. I'm in that area with work weekly.
post #208 of 272 Old 02-20-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

It was a great time! I was one of those people that asked about experiencing your setup.

I don't even remember if we got around to doing any movie clip demo's...

it might have just been a 2 channel music crank fest.... I can get carried away with that. redface.gifbiggrin.gif
post #209 of 272 Old 02-20-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:

I don't even remember if we got around to doing any movie clip demo's...

it might have just been a 2 channel music crank fest.... I can get carried away with that. redface.gifbiggrin.gif

Funny thing.....Archaea warned me when I left his place (and headed over to Carp's) that Carp likes to make a statement with his demos. And then he got a huge smile on his face!!

It must have worked...I ordered JTR two weeks later.
post #210 of 272 Old 02-20-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Funny thing.....Archaea warned me when I left his place (and headed over to Carp's) that Carp likes to make a statement with his demos. And then he got a huge smile on his face!!

It must have worked...I ordered JTR two weeks later.

Haha, you know how it is though, the louder they go the clearer they get.... so.... there is no other option than to keep turning it up!! smile.gif

BTW, your room has to be one of the best looking (and I know how great it will sound) I've seen. Congratulations!!! cool.gif I'm jealous of guys like you, dlbeck, jedimastergrant, etc. with your dedicated rooms. Someday.....

Another look:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Surround speakers are installed (JTR Slanted 8s without their grilles)

And panels and trim are finally complete

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page