College Park's 4K Cinema v1.0 - Page 8 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #211 of 358 Old 03-04-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Love the work, very nice! Will D-Box come to these CinemaTech seats one day? wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 358 Old 03-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

Love the work, very nice! Will D-Box come to these CinemaTech seats one day? wink.gif

Oh....that could happen one day down the road a little bit.

thxman likes this.
post #213 of 358 Old 03-04-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Very nice!
post #214 of 358 Old 03-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Do you have any photos of how the mini riser was constructed? I need to do something similar for my back row. Turned out great BTW.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #215 of 358 Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We tossed around some additional ideas and in order to get his builder to do some of the heavy lifting, we quickly put some plans together that included:
-a modified ceiling with a 2-layer soffit instead of the standard vaulted configuration
-revised can light locations
-a riser in the back of the room

Per the 1st post, his builder made that when they built the home.
post #216 of 358 Old 03-05-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

Per the 1st post, his builder made that when they built the home.
Actually he said that they had to make the mini riser because the builder would not make the riser as high as he wanted it to be.
post #217 of 358 Old 03-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Shoot a
Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post

Do you have any photos of how the mini riser was constructed? I need to do something similar for my back row. Turned out great BTW.

Shoot a PM to Spaceman. He has had to build a couple and can give you a better summation of the construction.
post #218 of 358 Old 03-05-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I am sorry, I did not notice you where referring to what is under the back row of seats. My apologies.
post #219 of 358 Old 03-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

Shoot a

Shoot a PM to Spaceman. He has had to build a couple and can give you a better summation of the construction.
Thanks, I will.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #220 of 358 Old 03-05-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post

I forgot to take pics while building 7channelfreak's, but here is a link to the mini-riser pics from my build.
post #221 of 358 Old 03-05-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Great thread spaceman......love the ceiling and the finish on the panels. Where is the best place to purchase those JTR Slanted 8's ?
post #222 of 358 Old 03-05-2014, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukichon View Post

Where is the best place to purchase those JTR Slanted 8's ?

Directly from JTR.
post #223 of 358 Old 03-05-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Ok, so they are a direct dealer, thanks
post #224 of 358 Old 03-05-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 267
post #225 of 358 Old 03-18-2014, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK I'm rather dense when it comes to electricity, I want to use some of the below insteon items below for my HT, but not clear on what to order. I have 4 zones of lights in my home theater to control/dim. Here is how I think I understand the dimmers/keypads etc:

If I install 4 dimmers you used below by themselves, I could manually use each dimmer switch and dim my 4 zones of lighting without any other equipment,
If I add a 6 button keypad, I can use the master on/off to dim all 4 zones of my lighting at once, and have 4 other buttons to dim or turn on/off other zones throughout the house.
If I add a hub, I can now use an iPad or iPhone app to do the same.

Let me know if any of above is not correct, thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

The standard dimmers were replaced with these. Switches were replaced with these. You might not need one, but any dimmers and switches you add can be linked to a keypad, in either a 6-button or 8-button configuration. This allows you to place your bank of dimmers and switches in a discrete location like a closet and place a single keypad by the door. To run these off your phone or tablet, you can use the hub along with the Insteon apps. It's a simplified version of the ISY. Not sure if you intend to use your phone or tablet as your primary remote or not, but if you have the desire to control your lights using your universal remote, you might want to consider plugging an IR Linc into an outlet on your front wall. You can program all of your dimmers and switches into this device and then transfer the commands from the remote that comes with the device over to your universal remote.
post #226 of 358 Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lem View Post

OK I'm rather dense when it comes to electricity, I want to use some of the below insteon items below for my HT, but not clear on what to order. I have 4 zones of lights in my home theater to control/dim. Here is how I think I understand the dimmers/keypads etc:

If I install 4 dimmers you used below by themselves, I could manually use each dimmer switch and dim my 4 zones of lighting without any other equipment,
If I add a 6 button keypad, I can use the master on/off to dim all 4 zones of my lighting at once, and have 4 other buttons to dim or turn on/off other zones throughout the house.
If I add a hub, I can now use an iPad or iPhone app to do the same.

Let me know if any of above is not correct, thanks in advance

At a minimum, you would need 3 regular dimmers and 1 keypad for 4 zones. The 3 stand alone dimmers get wired directly to 3 of your zones. The keypad serves double duty, as both a dedicated dimmer for the 4th zone and a scene controller for all the zones. By wiring the keypad directly to your 4th zone, the master on/off buttons control that zone while the 4 small buttons control the other devices or a combination of devices. You could hide the other 3 dimmers in a closet, never to be touched. Then you could link each of those dimmers to one of the small buttons on the keypad, giving you control of each zone from the keypad. Or, you could use the small buttons to control scenes, or combinations of zones saved at pre-set levels. You might be able to combine devices on the keypad's master on/off buttons as you described, but doing so would require you to buy a 4th stand-alone dimmer. I would use the keypad as the 4th dimmer and use the smaller buttons to control scenes.

Yes, the hub works along with the Insteon app allowing you to control everything from a tablet or smartphone. I've only used the app a few times so I'm not familiar with all of it's capabilities or limitations. Probably worth running your setup by Smarthome to make sure the app will do everything you want it too before purchasing the hub.

Hope that helps. It gets confusing.
post #227 of 358 Old 03-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply!

I currently have a grafik eye but not remote controllable. But on grafik eye, I have assigned 4 'channels' for my 4 HT lighting zones,each of which I can program and dim manually by buttons for each of those zones, and there is a global on/off that will dim up/down all 4 zones at same time.

I thought the on/off of the insteon keypad would work same way: I could assign the 4 zones on a 6 button keypad to each of my 4 HT lighting zones, and use the on/off buttons on the keypad if I wanted to affect all 4 zones at same time and globally dim down or up. But it sounds like by your description that the on/off on the keypad is for one zone only and then there are 4 other buttons on the keypad that could dim up or down up to 4 other zones?
post #228 of 358 Old 03-18-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I think the term scenes would be more accurate for the small buttons where one small button would be zone 1 and 2 at 50% and zone 3 and 4 off. Another button would be all 4 zones at 50% and so forth. Some folks call them welcome, play, pause etc. Spaceman am I right or off base
post #229 of 358 Old 03-18-2014, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply!

I currently have a grafik eye but not remote controllable. But on grafik eye, I have assigned 4 'channels' for my 4 HT lighting zones,each of which I can program and dim manually by buttons for each of those zones, and there is a global on/off that will dim up/down all 4 zones at same time.

I thought the on/off of the insteon keypad would work same way: I could assign the 4 zones on a 6 button keypad to each of my 4 HT lighting zones, and use the on/off buttons on the keypad if I wanted to affect all 4 zones at same time and globally dim down or up. But it sounds like by your description that the on/off on the keypad is for one zone only and then there are 4 other buttons on the keypad that could dim up or down up to 4 other zones?

The cheapest solution would be to use the 4 small buttons on the keypad to control your combination of scenes. You would use the large on/off buttons to control whatever zone is wired directly to the keypad (the local load), using it like the other dimmers that control your other zones.

You can use the larger on/off buttons to control a scene, but as soon as you link multiple devices to those buttons, you lose the ability to control just the local load. You cannot assign the local load to one of the smaller buttons. It can only be individually controlled using the large on/off buttons.

A slightly more expensive option would be to connect each of your 4 zones to their own Insteon dimmer. You would then add the keypad as a 5th control device and use it just as a scene controller. You would then have individual control over each zone using the standard dimmers, freeing up the large on/off buttons of the keypad for scene control. This option is more expensive because you would need to buy a 4th dimmer in addition to the keypad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

I think the term scenes would be more accurate for the small buttons where one small button would be zone 1 and 2 at 50% and zone 3 and 4 off. Another button would be all 4 zones at 50% and so forth. Some folks call them welcome, play, pause etc. Spaceman am I right or off base
That's correct. The 4 small buttons are even labeled "scene". The large buttons are not really intended to hold a scene. They are really for controlling whatever device/zone is wired directly to the keypad.
post #230 of 358 Old 03-19-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The cheapest solution would be to use the 4 small buttons on the keypad to control your combination of scenes. You would use the large on/off buttons to control whatever zone is wired directly to the keypad (the local load), using it like the other dimmers that control your other zones.

You can use the larger on/off buttons to control a scene, but as soon as you link multiple devices to those buttons, you lose the ability to control just the local load. You cannot assign the local load to one of the smaller buttons. It can only be individually controlled using the large on/off buttons.
I am confused. To clarify if I had the 3 dimmers and one keypad like you said for 4 zones then the zone on the keypad cannot be programmed into the 4 scenes? Can I have 5 or 6 dimmers an outlet and control them with a 4 button keypad if I only want 4 scenes or do I need to go to 8 button keypad?

Also smart homes has 20% off everything including Insteon. promotion code ELUCKYZET
post #231 of 358 Old 03-19-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1492
Quote:

Hannon Designs finished up the ceiling mural on Friday and I got to see the finished product for the first time today. I think 7channelfreak was a little worried I didn't like it because I initially didn't say much. I think that's because my jaw was on the floor.

The first 3 photos are all taken from the same angle, but with different lighting.

Under normal light (no black light, no rope light)

Rope light only

Black light only
IMG_5139_zps8b56f07f.jpg

They used a variety of techniques to provide different effects under different lighting conditions. Some of the stars are done with regular white paint so they show up under normal light. Other stars are done with glow in the dark paint so they charge under black light and are visible in the dark. They also used a glow in the dark paint that only shows up under black light but disappears when the black lights are off. Some of the "clouds" or atmosphere were created with this paint. Under black light, it gives the illusion of distant lightning or some type of solar storm. I'm beyond impressed with the finished product.

Atmosphere effects under black light

Close up under normal light (a little overexposed)

I totally love this. LOVE IT!
Eyleron and Archaea like this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #232 of 358 Old 03-19-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

Love it, this looks awesome, and the updates are excellent!

I really like well painted ceilings, that look is excellent. I myself have 'shifted' from the fiber optic camp to the painted camp. Look forward to seeing what you decide (and, of course, the corresponding pics!)

Why do you feel this way ? Can you explain more ?
warrenP likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #233 of 358 Old 03-19-2014, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

I am confused. To clarify if I had the 3 dimmers and one keypad like you said for 4 zones then the zone on the keypad cannot be programmed into the 4 scenes? Can I have 5 or 6 dimmers an outlet and control them with a 4 button keypad if I only want 4 scenes or do I need to go to 8 button keypad?

Also smart homes has 20% off everything including Insteon. promotion code ELUCKYZET

For discussion purposes, lets say you have zones 1-3 wired to their own dimmers and zone 4 wired to the keypad. By default, the large on/off buttons on the 6 button keypad only control zone 4 (the only zone wired directly to the keypad). The smaller scene buttons can hold any combination of zones (1&2, 1&4, 1-4, etc.) at any brightness level. According to Smarthome, you can also turn the large on button into a scene button, which is what Mark Lem wanted to do. What I was trying to point out was that as soon as you change the large on button from a dedicated button controlling just zone 4 to a scene button controlling multiple zones, you lose the ability to control just zone 4. You cannot program one of the smaller scene buttons to control just zone 4 if the large button is programmed with a combination of zones. In order to add zone 4 to any of your scenes, you are going to need to have that zone on it's own dedicated button somewhere in your system (either on it's own dimmer, or kept isolated to the large keypad button).

If you only want 4 scenes, the 6-button keypad would be fine. I'm assuming you have easy access to the individual dimmers so you can control those independently if needed. I have 6 zones and each of my dimmers is hidden inside a column. I had to go with the 8-button keypad because I wanted to have a few scene buttons as well as a dedicated button for each zone (since I couldn't access the dedicated dimmer very easily).

As it turns out, the only time I use the keypad is to turn on/off the "Welcome" scene when entering/exiting the room and to turn everything on at 100% when I need to clean. All other scenes are activated from my remote.
post #234 of 358 Old 03-19-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Why do you feel this way ? Can you explain more ?

Just the look. I do like the fiber optics, always have, but the look of the mural has so much more depth and realism that I really have "switched" camps so to speak. The fiber is still cool, don't get me wrong - this is picking between two good things.

For me, we recently moved and are planning a new theater, and a painted mural will be on the ceiling. I enjoy surround music, and I envision myself sitting in the theater, turning on some incredible music, reclining all the way back and getting lost in the mural. Or at least that is my plan! smile.gif
Mfusick likes this.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #235 of 358 Old 03-19-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

Just the look. I do like the fiber optics, always have, but the look of the mural has so much more depth and realism that I really have "switched" camps so to speak. The fiber is still cool, don't get me wrong - this is picking between two good things.

For me, we recently moved and are planning a new theater, and a painted mural will be on the ceiling. I enjoy surround music, and I envision myself sitting in the theater, turning on some incredible music, reclining all the way back and getting lost in the mural. Or at least that is my plan! smile.gif

Thanks biggrin.gif

You are one of the few guys around here that's actually has probably seen a bunch of these so I value your opinion. I'm undecided on fiber vs painted.

-

post #236 of 358 Old 03-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Thanks biggrin.gif

You are one of the few guys around here that's actually has probably seen a bunch of these so I value your opinion. I'm undecided on fiber vs painted.

I would really try to see both in person. The fiber is brighter and some companies are building them in to acoustical treatments now. That is...if you feel your ceiling will need some treatment. Then you need to decide if you are trying to seal your room for soundproofing. That will add some complexity. The painted as stated has a more realistic look. I'm very happy with how mine has turned out. I take zero credit for it as Spaceman suggested the whole idea.

Let us know what you decide and we like pictures here.
post #237 of 358 Old 03-20-2014, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For discussion purposes, lets say you have zones 1-3 wired to their own dimmers and zone 4 wired to the keypad. By default, the large on/off buttons on the 6 button keypad only control zone 4 (the only zone wired directly to the keypad). The smaller scene buttons can hold any combination of zones (1&2, 1&4, 1-4, etc.) at any brightness level. According to Smarthome, you can also turn the large on button into a scene button, which is what Mark Lem wanted to do. What I was trying to point out was that as soon as you change the large on button from a dedicated button controlling just zone 4 to a scene button controlling multiple zones, you lose the ability to control just zone 4. You cannot program one of the smaller scene buttons to control just zone 4 if the large button is programmed with a combination of zones. In order to add zone 4 to any of your scenes, you are going to need to have that zone on it's own dedicated button somewhere in your system (either on it's own dimmer, or kept isolated to the large keypad button).

If you only want 4 scenes, the 6-button keypad would be fine. I'm assuming you have easy access to the individual dimmers so you can control those independently if needed. I have 6 zones and each of my dimmers is hidden inside a column. I had to go with the 8-button keypad because I wanted to have a few scene buttons as well as a dedicated button for each zone (since I couldn't access the dedicated dimmer very easily).

As it turns out, the only time I use the keypad is to turn on/off the "Welcome" scene when entering/exiting the room and to turn everything on at 100% when I need to clean. All other scenes are activated from my remote.

Thanks for the explanation I get it now. I think I'll go with 4 dimmers one for each of my 4 zones. then on the keypad I won't really be using the on/off since nothing will be wired to it, but I will use the 4 scene buttons to set up combinations of my 4 zones and degrees of brightness. My goal is to really get the hub and use an iPad for light control. Am I correct in assuming that if I get the hub and the 4 dimmer switches I don't really need the keypad?
post #238 of 358 Old 03-20-2014, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the explanation I get it now. I think I'll go with 4 dimmers one for each of my 4 zones. then on the keypad I won't really be using the on/off since nothing will be wired to it, but I will use the 4 scene buttons to set up combinations of my 4 zones and degrees of brightness. My goal is to really get the hub and use an iPad for light control. Am I correct in assuming that if I get the hub and the 4 dimmer switches I don't really need the keypad?

Well, if you don't plan on using the large on/off buttons on the keypad for a scene, save yourself some money and wire your 4th zone to the keypad instead of buying a 4th dimmer and use those buttons for your 4th zone. Or buy the 4th dimmer and use the large buttons for your most common scene ("Welcome").

The hub does give you scene control, but I actually haven't set one up so I don't know exactly how it works. I know as part of the default setup, the Insteon app creates an icon on your tablet or phone for each Insteon device, but I'm assuming you can also add additional icons for scenes. If so, than yes, it could replace a keypad. Personally, I wouldn't eliminate the keypad. If you forget your iPad or if wi-fi is down, the keypad will still give you or other family members a way to activate your scenes.
post #239 of 358 Old 03-20-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

The painted as stated has a more realistic look. I'm very happy with how mine has turned out. I take zero credit for it as Spaceman suggested the whole idea.

...but Spaceman had zero involvement in the final product or it's success, unless you count his masterful application of the cobalt blue basecoat. The fact that only 5% of the basecoat shows through still hurts. You know what they say. "It's what you don't see that really makes the room."
post #240 of 358 Old 03-20-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you do not have a hub or anything like that? What remote are you using I assume it is RF
Quote:

Am I correct in assuming that if I get the hub and the 4 dimmer switches I don't really need the keypad?
good question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page