College Park's 4K Cinema v1.0 - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

Old 03-20-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

I would really try to see both in person. The fiber is brighter and some companies are building them in to acoustical treatments now. That is...if you feel your ceiling will need some treatment. Then you need to decide if you are trying to seal your room for soundproofing. That will add some complexity. The painted as stated has a more realistic look. I'm very happy with how mine has turned out. I take zero credit for it as Spaceman suggested the whole idea.

Let us know what you decide and we like pictures here.

I'll definitely post up some pictures when I get there.

Thanks for the advice. It's hard to find both to compare in real life. It's not something you can go see in a retail store or common that people have it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

So you do not have a hub or anything like that? What remote are you using I assume it is RF
7channelfreak is using the hub in his theater. In my room, I have Insteon's IRLinc plugged into an outlet on my front wall. I programmed all of my scenes into the IRLinc and transferred them from the IRLinc's remote to my URC R40 remote. It's IR, not RF. My keypad only holds the "welcome" scene which I activate when entering/exiting the room. Each of the other buttons on my keypad controls an individual zone, since I don't have access to the individual dimmers or switches. The "welcome" scene gets me into the room and to my seat. Once there, I control the rest of the scenes from my remote.

I would be nervous relying on just the hub and app to provide scene control. Should your wi-fi ever go down, you would actually have to get out of your seat to control the lights eek.gif, and that control would only be individual zones using standard dimmers and not scene control. Having a backup way of accessing your scenes would be better, using either the hub/app combo + keypad or an IRLinc/remote combo + keypad.
Mfusick likes this.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 163
If one is good...two must be better yeah!?!
superleo, avtexan and zencarver like this.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Behind the second row.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have the neighbors egged your house yet? And more importantly, have you scheduled your hernia operation after moving that upstairs by yourself?
Old 03-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

That little extra weight I gained this winter came in handy throwing that thing around. Ha
Old 03-30-2014, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 106
How's that 2nd sub sounding? Can you even sit in the back row without your teeth rattling?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

How's that 2nd sub sounding? Can you even sit in the back row without your teeth rattling?

I'll have to update you when I get some time to play. It does feel like a bass shaker a bit as you'd expect but not bone jarring. I have Jeff Meier coming over in a few weeks to fine tune sound and video and I'll see what the final placement and tune produces.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Awesome! There is going to be some crazy tactical feeling on that back row! I put my S2 behind my seats at one point and it felt like I was literally bouncing across the floor. I run my subs super hot too though.
Mfusick likes this.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

If one is good...two must be better yeah!?!

Thats going to be awesome!!!

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
Old 04-01-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I am amazed that you moved that beast upstairs by yourself! Did you have to roll it end over end or just throw it on your shoulder walk upstairs?
Old 04-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

I walked it on the feet back and forth to the stairs and then leaned it over and pushed it up. It really wasn't as fun as it sounds!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

You can give me a call or message next time and I will help you out.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Hey thanks...

I had help lined up but chose not to wait. Ha!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I know what you mean. Hard enough to wait for the sub to arrive.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Forgot to post some pics from up in the light tray. In the tray on the lower soffit, there is a single run of 1/2" blue rope light. In the upper tray closest to the ceiling, there is another run of rope light as well as the black lights for charging the star ceiling. We chose to place the black lights along the front of the tray (closest to the crown) so they would light as much of the ceiling as possible, providing a good charge for the glow-in-the-dark stars and painted mural. The rope light was placed behind the black lights. To keep the black light fixture from blocking the rope light, we placed a 1x2 fjp board on edge along the back of the tray (against the vertical face of the soffit) and secured the rope light channel on top of the 1x2.

Rope light and mounting track from LED Rope Lights and More.
Black lights from Wildfire FX

bigbadbob, dabsabre and mmeister like this.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Allow me to congratulate you on your fan-tas-tic HT!
It's a source of inspiration for my own HT.

My own build: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1514892/th...ted-ht-project
Panasonic PT-AT6000, Denon X4000, Focal 716-700CC-700SR, SVS PB-1000
Old 04-07-2014, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote

I just read nine pages of absolute inspiration, I couldn't imagine trying to watch a movie I would be distracted by, well everything! Your muralists are amazing I love the UV accent storm and cant believe your ceiling generates that much light with such a small cove. I know you mentioned trying to make the rope light more uniform but I love how they look.. If you don't mind me asking how far down are your lights?

[/quote]

scott
Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I believe it's less than 1', maybe 9-11". 7channelfreak would have to throw a tape measure on it.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

I believe it's less than 1', maybe 9-11". 7channelfreak would have to throw a tape measure on it.

wow it seems so close to the ceiling and really casts a fine light. Congrats, keep those pics coming..LOL
Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey5150 View Post

wow it seems so close to the ceiling and really casts a fine light. Congrats, keep those pics coming..LOL

Quote:

Actually....I measured this evening and they are 7 inches.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:49 PM

you guys are the best, I was so leaning towards a string of UV leds but those bulbs are making me rethink my plans
Old 04-09-2014, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you guys are the best, I was so leaning towards a string of UV leds but those bulbs are making me rethink my plans

I think the jury is still out on UV rope and UV strip lights. Most rope light that claims to be UV is just purple. The UV strip lights will charge glow-in-the-dark paint but they don't work as well as traditional black lights (405nm vs. 365nm). Jeff Stewart with Night Sky Murals has experimented with both. Check out the posts towards the end of this thread.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It is still out. I was so excited when I got my LED lights, thinking they were 365nm, when they told me later that they'd sent me 405nm... but they do charge up my ceiling. But, how much better would the 365nm LED lights work? So, I am a little bitter right now with that company telling me they were sending me the 365nm lights, then telling me that they don't even sell them. I have someone, in China, scouring the country, looking for some... and I've had about 10 replies, but they are all coming in at about $40/meter, and I haven't even replied back yet (no time... working on setting up another 5 state trip right now).

So, yes, the 405nm lights work, but I've only tried them on a 9' x 9' area. They work well there, but I still want to test some 365nm lights before I recommend anything other than a good tube black light.

Jeff

Quote:

I think the jury is still out on UV rope and UV strip lights. Most rope light that claims to be UV is just purple. The UV strip lights will charge glow-in-the-dark paint but they don't work as well as traditional black lights (405nm vs. 365nm). Jeff Stewart with Night Sky Murals has experimented with both. Check out the posts towards the end of this thread.
Mfusick likes this.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the thread it was helpful, let me ask ya, is there a functional reason for the textured paint on the ceiling?

Jeff, that is pretty low about the UV/purple lies..frown.gif I know you'll figure it out
Old 04-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the thread it was helpful, let me ask ya, is there a functional reason for the textured paint on the ceiling?

The builder did the texture on all walls and ceilings in the house. They were not specific to the ceiling in the theater. Maybe Jeff can comment which he prefers but I believe the muralist I used would have liked it to be a smooth surface.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Sorry I haven't seen these questions. I've been painting up the entire east coast (driving it all) and I haven't been on for a while.

You asked why the textured paint... did you mean, "why the texture on the ceiling?"

If you are asking why I like texture (I like a light knockdown)... it's because it helps hide the little bumps of paint that the stars leave. It's usually the larger, constellation stars that are the most visible, but depending on the color on the ceiling... and where the light is coming from, you could see a few little bumps, or a lot on a smooth ceiling. On textured ceiling... you usually don't see any of the little bumps.

Let me know if that wasn't your question.

Jeff

Quote:

Jeff, that is pretty low about the UV/purple lies..frown.gif I know you'll figure it out
Old 05-30-2014, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These seem to be genuine Black Light LED strips. At $175 for a 16ft roll they are quite pricey but I hear that real 365nm LEDs are quite expensive.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are also these guys who custom make 365-375nm LED strips but the minimum order quantity is 50m / 160ft.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:40 AM

Thanks Jeff, That's what I was wondering and it makes perfect sense now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement