Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 284 Old 11-02-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
7channelfreak closed on his new house a few days ago and has asked me to tag along and assist with converting his 2nd floor media room to a dedicated home theater. He has the same floor plan as the model home, so here are some shots from the model to give you an idea of what we would have started with.

1024_zpsaa705217.jpg

1024-1_zps7256761a.jpg

And the builder's floor plan
randysfloorplanfrombuilder_zps87a93ac8.jpg

The room is 13'-7" wide x 18'-9" long. It comes standard with a traditional vaulted ceiling starting at 8' and rising to 10', double doors, and no riser. It is a decent space, but 7channelfreak has been lurking on AVS for sometime so he knew there was room for improvement. He invited me to come see the model home and then to visit the unfinished space in his house that was still under construction. He had lots of ideas from previous discussions with Big. We tossed around some additional ideas and in order to get his builder to do some of the heavy lifting, we quickly put some plans together that included:
-a modified ceiling with a 2-layer soffit instead of the standard vaulted configuration
-revised can light locations
-a riser in the back of the room
-changing the double doors to a single door
-adding a step outside the single door to enter at riser height
-preferred locations of all electrical and low voltage boxes
-required conduit runs
-appropriate blocking for the projector

His builder was able to incorporate most of what we asked for. They couldn't quite give us the riser height we wanted and forgot to add the lip along the front edge. They also didn't get the size of the can lights correct (requested 4", got 6"). They weren't willing to modify the HVAC, so we will be doing that after the fact. 7channelfreak even upgraded to the popular Masland carpet, so it almost looks like an AVS room even though we actually haven't done any work in there yet. smile.gif

Here is what the room looks like now, after the builder incorporated our changes.

View from Game Room
IMG_4717_zpsac7f47a4.jpg

IMG_4746_zps71054c7a.jpg

Screen Wall
IMG_4745_zps2db07f6c.jpg

Ceiling (HVAC will be expanded and moved to the soffits so the ceiling can receive a painted cloud mural AND night sky star mural)
IMG_4735_zps1c6899d2.jpg

IMG_4731_zpsced6513d.jpg

Back wall/riser
IMG_4729_zpsae248f2a.jpg

IMG_4728_zps6272de66.jpg

Left Wall
IMG_4724_zpsee54d281.jpg

Right Wall
IMG_4725_zps7bc564f9.jpg

Carpet/riser
IMG_4737_zps63d5fc13.jpg

And a plan showing what we intend to do:
FloorPlan_1_zpsdd478171.jpg

The design will be similar to the Rawlinsway Theater, minus the columns. A chair rail will be added along with "wainscot" trim below the chair rail. Wall below chair rail will be light gray. Wall above chair rail will be medium gray. Fabric panels above chair rail will be medium gray surrounded with light gray trim. Soffits will be black. Ceiling will be sky blue with cloud mural and night sky star mural.

Acoustic treatments will be added to all 4 walls, hidden behind the false wall and fabric panels.

No soundproofing measures will be implemented with the exception of R19 insulation already added to the interior walls.

Proposed Equipment:
-LCRs: (3) JTR Noesis 212-HT-lp
-Surrounds: (4) JTR Slanted 8
-Heights: TBD
-Subwoofer: (1) JTR Captivator S2 with plans for a 2nd
-Screen: Screen Excellence 120" wide 2.35:1 AT w/Enlightor 4K fabric and Premier J-Frame
-Projector: TBD (something 4K) EDIT: Sony 4K VW600ES
-Receiver: Denon 4520
-Amp: Sherbourn 7-350
-BluRay: Oppo 103D
-Front seats: (3) Cinematech LeGrand
-Rear seats: (3) TBD (maybe Fusion Tributes)

I'll follow up with some wall elevations to better convey our panel/trim concepts and color scheme.
PaulFSemicolen likes this.

Spaceman Theater Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 284 Old 11-02-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

We tossed around some ideas and in order to get his builder to do some of the heavy lifting, we quickly put some plans together that included:
-a modified ceiling with a 2-layer soffit instead of the standard vaulted configuration
-revised can light locations
-a riser in the back of the room
-changing the double doors to a single door
-adding a step outside the single door to enter at riser height
-preferred locations of all electrical and low voltage boxes
-required conduit runs
-appropriate blocking for the projector
Nice choices. smile.gif Was the rack "closet" an add-on as well? I don't see it in the floor plan. And did they run all the speaker wire? I see the wall plates for 7.x plus heights and wides, I think (funny 7channelfreak would have 11...) - are they loaded or set with conduit - to the rack, I presume?

Consider me your first subscriber.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 284 Old 11-02-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, the rack closet was a requested change as well and the bump out into the game room made for a convenient place to add the step outside the theater. I wish the step went the full depth of the bump out though.

All speaker locations are pre-wired back to the rack closet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

I see the wall plates for 7.x plus heights and wides, I think (funny 7channelfreak would have 11...)

7channelfreak used to go by the name Betamax King, followed by S-Video Lover, so some people never learn. wink.gif
HopefulFred likes this.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #4 of 284 Old 11-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
First...I can't tell you how lucky I am to have input from Spaceman. Just look at his theater. He has been incredibly helpful. I'd be working on this a year from now without him.

Yes...I had the room wired for 11.3. I'm only thinking heights as I'm not convinced I have the width to do wides. I'm also thinking Atmos might change the recommended speaker layout. I guess we will see if something is announced at CES.

The closet was also a add-on. It will fit my omni mount rack.

Thanks...and let the fun begin!
post #5 of 284 Old 11-02-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

I'd be working on this a year from now without him.

You saw the timeline from my build, right? You may be working on this a year from now WITH me. smile.gif Just kidding. I think we have a good game plan.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #6 of 284 Old 11-03-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Subscribed. cool.gif

I like the color theme and the modification to the builder already. wink.gif

IMHO, I would rather save 21" of space from the false wall and go for some decent in-wall speakers instead. Just like what Spaceman did. <9' to the screen is just a little too close to my taste.

~ Gary

)

post #7 of 284 Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We both were a little worried about how immersive it would feel. Before selecting speakers, we were playing with a 115" wide screen and were hoping to have at least a 9'-6" viewing distance. 7channelfreak ultimately decided on the JTRs, which reduced the viewing distance to right around 9'. Even with the reduction, he wanted to see if we could push the screen size to 120". We decided to test it in my room and moved my seats closer to the screen to duplicate the same horizontal viewing angle he would have with a 120" wide screen from 9' away. I popped in one of the car chase scenes from the Bourne Trilogy and while it was a little close for me, 7channelfreak was happy. The JTRs and the screen were promptly ordered, so there is no turning back. smile.gif

Spaceman Theater Build

post #8 of 284 Old 11-03-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Subscribed.

Inwalls versus JTR. NO contest. smile.gif

Island style riser, on the riser?
post #9 of 284 Old 11-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

Subscribed. cool.gif

I like the color theme and the modification to the builder already. wink.gif

IMHO, I would rather save 21" of space from the false wall and go for some decent in-wall speakers instead. Just like what Spaceman did. <9' to the screen is just a little too close to my taste.

Yeah...that's been the design work around we have struggled with. I wish the room was longer but I wanted AT. When I was looking at Traid, they were just as deep as the JTR I'm going with. I just dont have the depth id like but we all have to make sacrifices somewhere in this hobby. Going way back...I was going to use my Def Tech system. I had the 7001s with the 3000 center. After going to see spaceman's theater, I was determined to go AT. Had to sell the def tech which I was very happy with and start over. Lets hope it all comes together as planned. Haha

We talked about using your staggered panel look but once again the short room would have affected the appearance. Maybe I need to move back north so I can have a big basement.
post #10 of 284 Old 11-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

Subscribed.

Inwalls versus JTR. NO contest. smile.gif

Island style riser, on the riser?

Yes...I've heard JTR in three different rooms now. I had to put them in. I really had no choice. Hahaha.

Yes....a riser for the back row which will get little action.
post #11 of 284 Old 11-03-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is a revised floor plan including the correct surrounds and final screen size. I've also included color elevations of each wall.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #12 of 284 Old 11-03-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Already looking good!

BTW............hope room is well dampened ie. one S2 will shake room violently..........................two will most definitely rock the rest of house and destroy that room! biggrin.gif

My Build Threads

post #13 of 284 Old 11-03-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Yeah...that's been the design work around we have struggled with. I wish the room was longer but I wanted AT. When I was looking at Traid, they were just as deep as the JTR I'm going with. I just dont have the depth id like but we all have to make sacrifices somewhere in this hobby. Going way back...I was going to use my Def Tech system. I had the 7001s with the 3000 center. After going to see spaceman's theater, I was determined to go AT. Had to sell the def tech which I was very happy with and start over. Lets hope it all comes together as planned. Haha

We talked about using your staggered panel look but once again the short room would have affected the appearance. Maybe I need to move back north so I can have a big basement.
I know, it's all about how to make the room "as close" to what we want within reality. I too very happy with my BP7001s & CLR3000 too, but I've been thinking an AT screen + Triad lately. Yeah, I agree once you've seen an AT screen, it'll be hard to resist.

And as doublewing said, you full JTR setup will be awesome especially if you really gonna put dual S2 in that space (<2300sqft)!! eek.gif

~ Gary

)

post #14 of 284 Old 11-03-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

And as doublewing said, you full JTR setup will be awesome especially if you really gonna put dual S2 in that space (<2300sqft)!! eek.gif

One S2 is eek.gif

Two S2's are eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

biggrin.gif

My Build Threads

post #15 of 284 Old 11-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

One S2 is eek.gif

Two S2's are eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

biggrin.gif

Hahaha....yeah, I'm not sure it's needed on a suspended floor but I'm looking for smoothing. That's the logic anyway. The other option is get an S1 and put at the end of 2nd row.
post #16 of 284 Old 11-03-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hahaha....yeah, I'm not sure it's needed on a suspended floor but I'm looking for smoothing. That's the logic anyway. The other option is get an S1 and put at the end of 2nd row.

That is a great idea. As powerful as the S2 is........you most definitely will need more for smoothing. An S1 should do well in that room and will help with smoothing. In my room, a second S2 would be overkill and not address my room issues.....don't know about yours.

After measurements, I'm going a different direction for leveling modes. My room issues are centered around 20-40 hz region.....so it looks like possibly adding four 18 inch Dayton drivers.......two at mid-line and two behind 2nd row. The single S2 hits hard below 20 hz..............which is not an issue in room.

My Build Threads

post #17 of 284 Old 11-03-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 213
As a follow JTR 7.2 system owner , I will follow this thread biggrin.gif Looks like a great space and I am sure it will turn out killer.

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #18 of 284 Old 11-06-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Subscribed - this is gonna be good. cool.gif

7 channel, I know about Archaea's place, where was the 3rd place you heard the Noesis?

Man, that S2 is going to be crazy tactile on a suspended floor!! I agree with you though, you will definitely want another or at least a S1 to smooth the response.

Congratulations on what's going to be a kick a$$ room!! smile.gif

post #19 of 284 Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Did I say Noesis or JTR? I may have misspoke. Three times with JTR and twice with Noesis.

My first JTR experience was here in Houston with JC507 and his triple 8s and an S2. He wants to do a DIY sub project like yours. Ill be surprised if we don't see that in the threads soon.
post #20 of 284 Old 11-07-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
That ceiling is going to look so sick when you are done with it! Congrats on the new house! What part of Houston?

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #21 of 284 Old 11-07-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:

Did I say Noesis or JTR? I may have misspoke. Three times with JTR and twice with Noesis.

My first JTR experience was here in Houston with JC507 and his triple 8s and an S2. He wants to do a DIY sub project like yours. Ill be surprised if we don't see that in the threads soon.

Oops, no you said JTR - my mistake.

post #22 of 284 Old 11-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

That ceiling is going to look so sick when you are done with it! Congrats on the new house! What part of Houston?

I'm up north in the Conroe/Woodlands area.

How are you enjoying your room?
post #23 of 284 Old 11-07-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

That is a nice area up there.

We love the theater. Actually, everybody that comes over loves it. I still have plans to do other things in there, but it will happen eventually.

Can't wait to see your finished theater. Have fun and congrats on the new house!

- Leon Phelps
post #24 of 284 Old 11-11-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Minor Update

The room initially came with (1) supply and (1) return. Both had to be moved from the 10' ceiling to improve airflow and to make room for the sky/star mural.

The HVAC guys came last week and relocated the one existing supply and added a 2nd supply to the bottom of the 9' soffit in the front of the room. (Soffits and registers will be painted black.)

They also relocated the one existing return and added a 2nd return to the bottom of the 8' soffit in the back of the room. They also added a 3rd return to the ceiling of the equipment closet (not shown).

While they were messing with the HVAC, I started working on the front wall acoustic treatments as well as the speaker shelf that will hold 300 lbs worth of JTRs. Corner bass traps are 17"x17"x24" stacked triangles cut from 2' x 4' x 2" Knauf Ecose insulation board. On the wall between the bass traps is 3" of Knauf Sonic XP duct liner in (2) 1-1/2" layers. 3.5 mil poly sheeting was used between each layer. Still need to finish some painting on the speaker shelf and supports but will wait until the false wall framing is done so I can do both at the same time.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #25 of 284 Old 11-14-2013, 10:28 AM

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Liked: 28
Will the ceiling be ready before summer, or in the middle? :-)
Spaceman and PaulFSemicolen like this.

Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

post #26 of 284 Old 11-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

Will the ceiling be ready before summer, or in the middle? :-)

Well...we will see how it goes but probably it will be summerish. It's a little hard to predict at this point but we will stay in touch.
post #27 of 284 Old 11-14-2013, 02:50 PM

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Hi 7Channel... That was kind of meant as a joke for Spaceman. He knows I get really warm when the temp is above 65, and just recently told another customer to be sure to keep the AC low for me. :)Anyway, this is going to be an interesting thread to follow. Congratulations on getting it going!
Quote:

Well...we will see how it goes but probably it will be summerish. It's a little hard to predict at this point but we will stay in touch.

post #28 of 284 Old 11-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

Hi 7Channel... That was kind of meant as a joke for Spaceman. He knows I get really warm when the temp is above 65, and just recently told another customer to be sure to keep the AC low for me. :)Anyway, this is going to be an interesting thread to follow. Congratulations on getting it going!

Ohhhh....I remember seeing those comments over on your thread. I forgot you aren't big on the Texas summers. Not many are.
post #29 of 284 Old 11-14-2013, 03:34 PM

I actually LOVE Texas, and do a lot of work out there. It's the Houston, over to Austin, summers that kill me. But, I deal with it... sort of. smile.gif

Quote:

Ohhhh....I remember seeing those comments over on your thread. I forgot you aren't big on the Texas summers. Not many are.

post #30 of 284 Old 11-14-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I have live in Houston my entire life and still have not got used to the summers. I probably never will either just like people in the blistering winters. I don't know how they do it either.
NightSkyMurals likes this.

- Leon Phelps
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page