passive subs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-03-2013, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a very basic noobish question.
Do I want passive or powered sub woofers in my ht?
My experience with av equipment is limited to my current tv room setup with an onkyo av 5.1 system including a small 8" powered sub box.
I am currently building a dedicated ht in the basement and planning to have 2 12" subs located behind a AT screen along with the left right and center speakers.
I just don't know rather it's better to have the sub amps in the av closet or powered sub boxes. I haven't purchased my ht receiver so that's completely still open. Is there a receiver that offers amplification for sub woofers or are they only pre amp outputs?
Sorry like I said I am a noob when it comes to this.
Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-03-2013, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
You'll need a separate sub amp (or amps, although one might do) for passive subs; also likely you might need some sort of dsp/eq, which can come included with suitable amps for passive subs or in a separate unit like a miniDSP. AVRs have only sub pre-outs (and not enough juice to run much of a passive sub otherwise) but do usually offer built in bass management.

What subs are you considering?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 17 Old 11-03-2013, 06:01 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 729
while there are some capable 12 inch subs, it really is about moving the most air possible, If you haven't already bought the twelves look at some 15s or take a jump and build your own. There are plenty of guys who will advise you in the DIY speaker building section of this forum. You can even buy a CNC cut cabinet, glue it together and pop in a driver. Check out DIYsoundgroup.com
post #4 of 17 Old 11-03-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Big has a great idea........................

Here is an option I'm thinking about using for rear leveling subs............

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-7094
post #5 of 17 Old 11-03-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

The DIY sound group is the route I'm taking for my LCR speakers probably Fusion 10" Pure and then maybe Alchemys 8" for the surrounds.  I haven't made the selection for subs yet. Actually I haven't bought any speakers or other equipment.

My room is small at 8'x18'x8'.

As BIG stated I like the idea 15" subs. Sounds like passive is the way to go then?

Would this be a good option for me? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-7093 What should I use for an amp and maybe dsp?

post #6 of 17 Old 11-04-2013, 05:35 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 729
That is a DIYsoundgroup cabinet sold by PE you may want to visit their forum (diy) and ask for recommendations of the best drivers, of course there is a good DIY speaker forum right here in the audio section.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-04-2013, 05:56 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersnow View Post

The DIY sound group is the route I'm taking for my LCR speakers probably Fusion 10" Pure and then maybe Alchemys 8" for the surrounds.  I haven't made the selection for subs yet. Actually I haven't bought any speakers or other equipment.
As BIG stated I like the idea 15" subs. Sounds like passive is the way to go then?

Would this be a good option for me? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-7093 What should I use for an amp and maybe dsp?

they also have a upgraded version http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-7097

this is one i think i will be ordering soon
post #8 of 17 Old 11-04-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

I added 2 "helper" subs, one 15" 3 cu ft and one 18" 4 cu ft with SI drivers, to my HT room for flatter in room response, these helped my IB sub 4 x 15" line array.

I used a iNuke6000DSP to power both, works perfect.
HT%252011.3%2520cover%2520off%2520Pano-b.jpg

I bought a iNuke3000DSP for my family room, I'm putting (2) 12" ported subs 4 cu ft , both with the Ultimax driver.

IMO that PE package deal is a steal, I'd grab either the 18" Dayton or the 15" Ultimax sub/box package at a heartbeat.
Better yet, get 2 of the 15" Ultimax for flatter in room response if you have multiple seating positions. Best would be 4 subs spread at the mid-points OR the corners.
Different threads went into the whys of that.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-17-2013, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Rather than start a new thread I hope I can get an answer here since this question goes along with my original.

How do you decide rather to go with an amp in the a/v rack or amp built into the sub box? And for clarification is it correct if I want a powered sub box then need to run coaxial rg6 from the a/v rack to the sub?
At this point in my build I can go either way I'm just not sure if one is better than the other. Does distance of the run matter? My run will be about 30ft.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-17-2013, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Do you want to run dedicated electrical circuits and interconnects to each sub location or just some speaker wire? Rack located amps allow centralized tweaking with the rest of your gear and also allows a common cooling solution
post #11 of 17 Old 11-17-2013, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

Do you want to run dedicated electrical circuits and interconnects to each sub location or just some speaker wire? Rack located amps allow centralized tweaking with the rest of your gear and also allows a common cooling solution
I am going to have the sub behind the screen wall so access will be limited. That's a good reason to go with the rack mounted amp. As long as there isn't a good reason to go with a powered sub box then I guess I will stick to passive.
Thanks for the quick response.
post #12 of 17 Old 11-17-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rather than start a new thread I hope I can get an answer here since this question goes along with my original.

How do you decide rather to go with an amp in the a/v rack or amp built into the sub box? And for clarification is it correct if I want a powered sub box then need to run coaxial rg6 from the a/v rack to the sub?
At this point in my build I can go either way I'm just not sure if one is better than the other. Does distance of the run matter? My run will be about 30ft.

To answer your question........

If you purchase commercially manufactured subs then you are better off having outlets wired for plate amp subs spread around the room........as noted in prior post, mid-line at each wall location including routing snurf tube to rack.. I'd also recommend doubling the front wall outlets. On the safe side, I'd also wire in a pair of additional 20 or even a 30 amp circuits in rack to future proof your installation.

My biggest regret is NOT having a second dedicated 20 amp circuit for front wall and not having 4 dedicated 20 amp circuits in my rack.........I have 3-20 amp circuits and 2 15 amp circuits which is not enough.

Consider your options and the bug of adding more subs to your room in the future. The "Add more BASS" disease will surly hit you smack dab across the face!!biggrin.gif
post #13 of 17 Old 11-17-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

To the OP.................................

This came out today and I really believe you should be as excited as I am. Here is the information:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-um18-22-18-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer-2-ohms-per-coil--295-518

Yup, Dayton Audio will be coming out with a new driver Jan 30, 2014,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a product that should compete with the very best drivers than go down DEEP!

I was about to purchase 4 UXL 18's which are more than double the cost of these Dayton Audio drivers.....................good times! biggrin.gif
post #14 of 17 Old 11-17-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Whohhh, 18" ultimax.....need to model those vs SI.

Via my 64GB iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
post #15 of 17 Old 11-17-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Whohhh, 18" ultimax.....need to model those vs SI.

I just pre-ordered four!!!!!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
post #16 of 17 Old 11-17-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Doublewing, did these model into 4 cu ft for sealed? Perfect for flat pack if so.

post #17 of 17 Old 11-17-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Doublewing, did these model into 4 cu ft for sealed? Perfect for flat pack if so.

Yeah, 4 cf is what is indicated..............I suspect xmas will be close to the drivers in S2 which is why I was about to purchase UXL-18's.

I have emailed parts-express wondering if a flat pack will be available with discount like the 18HO.....................I will only need two flat packs as I'm building end tables with the other two drivers. I've sourced 18 ply 1" BB locally for those end tables.........................that plywood was almost as much as the 3/4'' Knotty Alder plywood I used for my columns! eek.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page