Splitting an IR signal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I posted this in the remote control forum as well, but this is part of my dedicated theater build, so I thought it might be more appropriate here and thought some of you may have experience with it.

I have 4 components in my rack that are going inside a closet. All of them have IR input ports in the back that I can use a 3.5mm IR receiver and plug right in. My question is, can I just use 1 receiver (eye) and split it with a few of these and daisy chain them without using an IR block or some kind of repeater kit with emitters? I'd like to avoid using emitters over the sensor if I can. It seems simple, but maybe too simple???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Not sure about that. It is a cheap try though. Look on the back of your components. Some of them might have an IR input and output that will do the same thing you are wanting to do.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 415
An IR receiver needs power from somewhere...

That's what the connecting blocks are for, usually. Power in, Receiver in, 3-4 emitter ports out. You can use those emitter ports with a 3.5mm patch cable to those input jacks.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 11-04-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 245
jautor....I just looked at your photobucket pics and have to say that that your theater is really nice! Was that an attic space originally?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I need power...okay. Can I use this from monoprice, but just use 3.5mm patch cables instead of the emitters?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

jautor....I just looked at your photobucket pics and have to say that that your theater is really nice! Was that an attic space originally?

Thanks! No, it was a space that was left "unfinished" during construction so that I could have both time and money to build the theater later... biggrin.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Old 11-04-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroder View Post

So I need power...okay. Can I use this from monoprice, but just use 3.5mm patch cables instead of the emitters?

Probably. The IR input jacks on equipment can be finicky - it SHOULD work but you can fall back to emitters if needed. Emitters on concealed equipment are quite reliable, but I'd certainly try the jacks first, too.

Jeff

Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Did anyone consider just buying dual IR emitters like this??? http://www.amazon.com/Unique-Products-Online-Dual-Emitter/dp/B00255NW12

They work perfectly. I've installed hundreds with a wide variety of equipment and never any issues. You only need power boost if you are moving to 3+.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Did anyone consider just buying dual IR emitters like this??? http://www.amazon.com/Unique-Products-Online-Dual-Emitter/dp/B00255NW12

They work perfectly. I've installed hundreds with a wide variety of equipment and never any issues. You only need power boost if you are moving to 3+.

OP wanted to use IR input jacks on his equipment instead of emitters. As it stands, though, he doesn't have a functional IR receiver / repeater system, so that's step 1. But yes, dual-headed emitters work perfectly once you've got the signal captured!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Oops! biggrin.gif I will say that a surprising number of IR input jacks on equipment is non-functional....most notably on TVs for some reason.

Regarding the OP, I have never seen an IR repeater system where the target doesn't require a power supply. Either that dual-band Monoprice unit or something like THIS from Newegg should work perfectly with switching out the IR emitters for mono cables.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies...

I'm going to order the one from Monoprice. I need to order my wiring from them anyway, so for $17 it's worth a shot. Hopefully I can use the IR jacks on my Marantz 7007 receiver , Oppo 103 and DirectTV HR34 without too much trouble.