New Home Theatre - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-04-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my first post... Thank you for allowing me to post.

I am building a custom tuscan style home from ground up. My architect and I have come up with the attached layout.
theatre1.JPG 106k .JPG file

Here are some key points:

- Front 16x9 fixed projection screen, approx. 110" diagnal
- 6 inch high semi-circle stage in front of screen (not shown)
- front row will accomodate 4 theatre chairs
- 12 inch high rear riser will accomodate 5 theatre chairs
- 7.2 surround sound, with 2 towers on stage on both sides of screen
- Motorized Curtains close behind and towards center column, which houses the side speakers.

My main questions at this point are regarding the staging and window placement. My architect designed this assuming windows would be centered on that exterior wall. But with a 4-5 foot deep stage (not shown), and with the depth of the rear riser needing to be about 72", it seems like the column (and consequentially the windows) need to move towards the rear of the theatre a bit.

Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg theatre1.JPG (105.5 KB, 62 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-04-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Those large windows represent compromised audio, as they will act as low pass filters.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-05-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

I realize that large windows are not ideal, but this is the front of house, and we will have heavy curtains blocking when we are watching. Also, we tend to watch more intellectual foreign type movies - not so much fast and furious.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-05-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 334
What is the reasoning for having windows in a fully dedicated space with front projection? I would suggest framing for the windows so they could easily be retrofitted, but close the room off as you would any theater. This will help your design in a number of ways.

Do you really need 3 racks for all of your AV gear? I have two 44u racks that will still have open space with a theater and whole home audio/video distribution and automation "stuff". If you scale the AV racks back to two, you would then have the opportunity to straighten out the theater and put both walls at a slightly flared angle, creating "stepping" similar to some of the previous Erskine builds. Your layout is almost identical to KBlaw2010's. Here's a link to final photos of his room: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1339780/another-erskine-designed-masterpiece-if-i-dont-screw-it-up/360#post_22913691

I'd also move door #32 to the theater wall, otherwise all of the sound will pass right through your racks and that equipment area may function as a bass chamber. For the same reasons I would add a door to the concession area.

Just my initial 2 cents, of course.

EDIT: I see we were posting at the same time. Scratch my comment on the windows....but you will definitely need the motorized blackout shades with some sort of fabric to help tame the reflections that would normally occur on a hard glass surface.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Speaking of Erskine builds, you should seriously consider using their design services (at some level). That room layout is a non-trivial design and you're at the correct stage where they could help out quite a bit.

Are you planning to "use" the stage for music / performance purposes? The "decorative" stages in most home theaters are only deep enough to give the proper appearance and perhaps hold speakers.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #6 of 9 Old 11-05-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

I'd only be using 2 of the equipment racks... the 3rd rack area is just shelving for DVD's and storing nick-nacks from behind.

Regarding the stage, it's partly decorative, and partly for when my wife has some karaoke parties. We don't need this room to be 100% pure theatre acoustically. We want it to look good, and want to reserve the right to possibly use it for other entertainment purposes in the future without having to rip out $100K's of treatments.

That being said, I would like to position the columns, windows, and staging the best way possible. I'd love to have some input specifically on that. I believe the windows should move to the right slightly, but then we are losing the hidden curtain channel.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 334
I think hiring the Erskine Group would be an extremely smart move for your situation and at the current planning stage of your project.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-05-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 322
I second what TMcG has stated......

Contacting Erskine Group would be well worth the phone call or email........
post #9 of 9 Old 11-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 63
erskine is booked out into 2015. ask me how i know
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page