Decora Keystone Plates: Are the jacks too close? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-05-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Title says it all. I want to do a 3 gang keystone plate, pair actually one either side of the room. I need around 15 positions, 10 of which will be speaker binding posts No one seems to make a plate, 2 or 3 gang that holds more than 12 jacks. Of course you can get a 3 gang decora plate and use three, 6 position keystone decora inserts. But this puts the jacks right on top of one another compared to a standard keystone plate where they are more spread out. Is this a problem, especially considering the number of binding posts I am using

TIA

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-05-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 342
If you really want that many binding posts, perhaps separate this into a 2-gang speaker plate (using one of the pre-made plates for that purpose) and a 1-gang keystone next to it.

If this is not in an exposed area, I'd skip the binding posts and bring the speaker wire through with a scoop and wire directly to the AVR...

But I agree that you probably dont' want to do the dense decora inserts with all those binding posts - the weight/flex of all that cable plus the density would be a pain to work with...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 11 Old 11-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have had difficulty with six keystones in a decora. A combination of Coax (F-type) or RJ45 connectors would be fine, but once you start adding RCA plugs, they tend to not fit so well. Some manufacturers I have found make their RCA keystones a little too big on the back side, and they don't all fit nice next to each other ini a six-port decora. I like jautor's suggestion, because the pre-made speaker binding post plate is a great way to go. For the one-gang plate next to it, I would just recommend it be a 6-port face plate, and not a six-port decora insert.

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Brian
The Cinema Rouge Home Theater
post #4 of 11 Old 11-05-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

I am hearing you guys about running the speaker cable through a scoop. Unfortunately, this is more of a media room than a dedicated home theater so I need to have a clean install that I can walk away from. For the RCAs, which will be for sub signals, I planned to use a RCA to F connector keystones and use coax with male F connectors from plate to plate.

Sands, I am not clear on the pre made speaker binding post plate your are referring to. The ones I have seen appear to have as many as 5 pair of binding posts are just as close as they would be on a decora plate with keystones. Like the one below from MonoPrice. My plan was to spread them out over the plate so they weren't right next to one another.

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #5 of 11 Old 11-05-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCHeel View Post

Sands, I am not clear on the pre made speaker binding post plate your are referring to. The ones I have seen appear to have as many as 5 pair of binding posts are just as close as they would be on a decora plate with keystones.

Spacing is half the issue. The keystones with that much going on are likely to snap out of place and generally be a pain...

Oh, and for the subwoofers you can just use an F connector (which is more secure since it's screwed on), some coax and use the F-to-RCA adapter at the subwoofer itself.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #6 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Spacing is half the issue. The keystones with that much going on are likely to snap out of place and generally be a pain...
Quote:

After looking some more, I have found what looks like a decora insert with 4 pair of binding posts. I assume this will be more stable than individual keystones. I could use that with a three gang decora plate and regular decora keystone inserts for the other two positions, right?

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #7 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah that would be better... The binding post insert would be screwed in seperately, so easier to deal with the rest.

post #8 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

The Decora inserts tend to be a little tight.  You said you were interested in 10 binding posts; here is a 5-pair binding post Decora insert (I think you found one of these already):

When I mentioned getting a premade face plate, I was referring to one where the binding posts were mounted directly to the face plate.  Here is  five-pair single gang plate. It looks like they are spaced farther apart than on a Decora insert, and would be more stable than a bunch of keystones:

Still, though, I had envisioned a two-gang face plate with the connections spread a little farther apart.  Here is a two-gang 7.2 face plate.  More binding posts than you needed, but includes two RCA for whatever purpose you might need.  Spacing seems better than the previous ones:

If that spacing appeals to you, I suppose you could then get the best of both worlds with one of these:

That would give you the spacing and security of a direct-mounted set of binding posts, and would throw in a few keystones for other connections you were looking to make.

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Brian
The Cinema Rouge Home Theater
post #9 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands_at_Pier147 View Post

The Decora inserts tend to be a little tight.  You said you were interested in 10 binding posts; here is a 5-pair binding post Decora insert (I think you found one of these already):

These inserts are larger than the decora standard and come with their own trim plates. I used 2 of these and had to modify a 5 gang decora wallplate to accommodate 2 of these. You can see how much larger they are here:

Also, all the keystone inserts don't necessarily fit well with all other inserts, and in some cases you may need to rearrange which insert you put where, or even trim a little of the insert to fit. In the end, I got what I wanted in my living room with this:

post #10 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands_at_Pier147 View Post

When I mentioned getting a premade face plate, I was referring to one where the binding posts were mounted directly to the face plate.  Here is  five-pair single gang plate. It looks like they are spaced farther apart than on a Decora insert, and would be more stable than a bunch of keystones:

I saw that one. The only problem is the way that is constructed it is a stand alone plate. It is a lot thicker than a standard plate. So I would have to have another 2 gang plate for my other keystones. I know it sounds silly but I think I would prefer to have one big plate instead of multiple smaller plates. And while the horizontal spacing is wider, with 5 pair the vertical spacing is still tight. I am running 7.2 right now. So I only really need 4 pair for the sides and rears. I figured I would go ahead and run a 5th pair in case I wanted to run a rear center at some point. But that is not a must do.

Monoprice has a center insert with four pair that has more vertical spacing

I could do what Swervepf did and use this with decora keystone inserts.

Swervepf, was your install new work or old work and what type of box or bracket did you use?

Something like this?

Also, how did you modify the decora plate? It looks like you did a nice, clean job. What did you use to trim out the hole to accept the larger binding post insert?

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #11 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It was new work although I did use those low voltage trim rings you posted a pic of. I couldn't find a 5 gang one so used a 4 gang and a 1 gang. I hacked off all the vertical bars within the 4G and 1 side of the 1G to make installation easier. Ugly but all the decora plates mounted to the trim rings just fine.

I used a dremel to enlarge the openings which took about an hour. I don't think I'd do it over again though. Tedious. I'd probably work out a way with 4 pair binding post plates instead.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page