Old Woods Theater 2.0 - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

Old 07-07-2015, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Wow...Very Nice...like automotive grade nice! The stands look top notch too. It feels great to build something with your own hands and have it turn out so nice.

On my next visit I will try to remember to bring my OmniMic along to see whats under the hood.

Wait, do you already have a OmniMic?

Audio: Marantz AV7702mkII / Marantz MM8077 / Emotiva UPA-7 for 7.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X - Video: Sony VPL-VW600ES & SI Black Diamond 133" 2.35:1 CIH for 4K UHD - Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Mede8er 600d with Synology ds716 NAS (28tb), PS4, DirecTV - 7. Paradigm Studio 20 v5 (L, R, FW), Studio CC-590 v5 (C), Sonance VP63 (SS); 2. DIYSG Dayton HO 18" (4); PSA S3000i (3); 4! Infinity Entra One (FH), Sonance VP65R (TR)
Lewis Family Cinema 2.0, Lewis Family Cinema 1.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2015, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post
Wow...Very Nice...like automotive grade nice! The stands look top notch too. It feels great to build something with your own hands and have it turn out so nice.

On my next visit I will try to remember to bring my OmniMic along to see whats under the hood.

Wait, do you already have a OmniMic?
OmniMic? Why would I need the OmniMic when I have my golden ears? I'll have you know I have perfect hearing and can tune any room flat using my nature talent!!

Actually it would be very cool if you would bring that over. I don't own an OmniMic and it would be neat to see exactly how my room measures. I've considered buying a mic for a year or so, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Once the speakers are broken in, we will set up a demo time.
kjlewie likes this.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Great job deewan they look excellent

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Old 08-17-2015, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
OmniMic? Why would I need the OmniMic when I have my golden ears? I'll have you know I have perfect hearing and can tune any room flat using my nature talent!!

Actually it would be very cool if you would bring that over. I don't own an OmniMic and it would be neat to see exactly how my room measures. I've considered buying a mic for a year or so, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Once the speakers are broken in, we will set up a demo time.
Terrific job... I would like to try what you did with the room, the acoustic treatments, the cabinets and now your own speakers. I am so out of your league. You've made this neophyte feel so incompetent. Thanks a lot. I'll keep quiet while I am being schooled.

Great job
Old 08-18-2015, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDLife View Post
Terrific job... I would like to try what you did with the room, the acoustic treatments, the cabinets and now your own speakers. I am so out of your league. You've made this neophyte feel so incompetent. Thanks a lot. I'll keep quiet while I am being schooled.

Great job
I've tried and failed as well as tried and succeeded many times with all these projects. But with the help and influence from friends and enough reading on this forum and maybe a few other forums, anything I did you can do! If you have any questions I or someone else will be happy to help!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I've tried and failed as well as tried and succeeded many times with all these projects. But with the help and influence from friends and enough reading on this forum and maybe a few other forums, anything I did you can do! If you have any questions I or someone else will be happy to help!
OMG that room looks awesome! BTW I loved both of your ClearWaves builds (I hope Jed has been sending you a Christmas card because I am going to guess that nothing sold those speaker kits half as well as looking at your threads.)

About the latest project, care to share some more about the recipe and how it compares to previous efforts?
Old 10-28-2015, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock99 View Post
OMG that room looks awesome! BTW I loved both of your ClearWaves builds (I hope Jed has been sending you a Christmas card because I am going to guess that nothing sold those speaker kits half as well as looking at your threads.)

About the latest project, care to share some more about the recipe and how it compares to previous efforts?
Thank you for your compliments on my builds. Jed was always very supportive and helpful with my speaker builds. We even had a few prototype speaker builds. He is a great guy!

My latest build was an attempt to get me back to a ribbon tweeter and a little more impactful bass. Jed's Dynamics were just that, very dynamic. However, I always missed the airy sound of a ribbon tweeter and that's why I built the latest set. The design is based on the Statement II's and the Statement speakers I built 6-7 years ago. However, I made several alterations. To make the speakers more wife friendly, I reduced the cabinet size by 30%. This decrease was realized due to the current version of the non-shielded Dayton woofers. When measured they could produce nearly the same bass as the (discontinued) shielded version in 30% less volume. With a smaller cabinet, keeping the WMTMW driver configuration did not allow the tweeter to remain at ear level. I made the decision to rearrange the drivers to a MTMWW layout. Great effort was used to make sure the tweeter remained at ear level and the MTM drivers spacing as well as the cabinet bracing stayed the same. At act point it became guess and check to play with the curves of the cabinet and making sure the cabinet volume remained the same. It was a lot of work but the end result, in my opinion, was completely worth it. These speakers sound amazing and get me back to the ribbon sound I missed so much.

These latest cabinets took slightly less time to build than my curved Dynamics, but that was mostly because of the learning curve I had with the Dynamics. Since I knew the latest set of speakers would likely be my dream set, I made are I spared no expense on materials. That is why I have all automotive priming, paint, and finish. They look and feel like a high dollar paint job.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

While I was bumming around the house today I thought I would give myself a quick project to stay busy. I've always liked the look of up lights on tower speakers. So digging around my house for parts (I swear my house is stocked like a Radio Shack store... the non-closed variety ) I have been able to get a similar look for about $12. I still need to add a inexpensive IR receiver so I can sync these up lights up with my iRule commands and control via IR blaster and I might order a $3 dimmer, but despite those two things I love the look so far....

In this picture the speaker on the left appears how my room used to look prior to todays project. The speaker on the right is how the room will appear in the future when listening to 2-channel music.
kjlewie likes this.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Your progression from the old setup to the new one is great! I love the stone wall with LED feature. Turned out very sharp.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:06 AM

And if I may ask, why did you go with a gray screen in such a light controlled room?
Old 01-04-2016, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4lfbr33d View Post
And if I may ask, why did you go with a gray screen in such a light controlled room?
I went wit the PureGray screen simply because I watch a lot of sports in the room with other people. So I have the lights on about 50%. It doesn't justify a Black Diamond screen, but the PureGray helps with a bit of the black levels when the room lights are shining.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:34 AM

Quote:
I went wit the PureGray screen simply because I watch a lot of sports in the room with other people. So I have the lights on about 50%. It doesn't justify a Black Diamond screen, but the PureGray helps with a bit of the black levels when the room lights are shining.
Thanks for the response. I think I may go the same route. The gray looks great as well with the rest of the room. Overall, very well done.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quick post about an update I made in my room. I've sold my Berkline seats and purchased three Fusion Escape from Roman. I really wanted chairs with an adjustable headrest. I'm about 6'2" and with the Berklines fully reclined they didn't leave my head in an ideal position to view the screen. Over the years I tried many different pillows to find the perfect combination. I had no luck. With the Fusions I now have the ability with a push of a button to adjustment my head at the perfect angle. I also enjoy the USB power in the armrest as it allows me to keep my iPad/remote plugged in while at the chair without running a long cable from a power outlet. I also installed a Buttkicker Advance in each chair. However, the Buttkicker amp is on backorder so I haven't been able to experience the 'feeling' yet. I was worried about buying chairs without sitting in them first, but these things are comfortable and with wider seats than the Berklines. Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase.

quamosa and kjlewie like this.

Last edited by deewan; 02-05-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Swee! Nice looking chairs Darren. They really fit the room well. What is the round metallic disc next to the cupholder?

No pics of the buttkicker install? I was looking forward to those for a small dose of ht diy pron.

Audio: Marantz AV7702mkII / Marantz MM8077 / Emotiva UPA-7 for 7.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X - Video: Sony VPL-VW600ES & SI Black Diamond 133" 2.35:1 CIH for 4K UHD - Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Mede8er 600d with Synology ds716 NAS (28tb), PS4, DirecTV - 7. Paradigm Studio 20 v5 (L, R, FW), Studio CC-590 v5 (C), Sonance VP63 (SS); 2. DIYSG Dayton HO 18" (4); PSA S3000i (3); 4! Infinity Entra One (FH), Sonance VP65R (TR)
Lewis Family Cinema 2.0, Lewis Family Cinema 1.0
Old 02-06-2016, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post
Swee! Nice looking chairs Darren. They really fit the room well. What is the round metallic disc next to the cupholder?

No pics of the buttkicker install? I was looking forward to those for a small dose of ht diy pron.
Ask and you shall receive.

The metal disc is a pin holder that can be used for a tray. Each chair comes with a flat metal tray. An angled and adjustable tray is also available for an additional cost.

And for your buttkicker request. The wood brace has been replaced with a solid metal brace and the buttkicker mounts perfectly.
quamosa and kjlewie like this.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Very nice chairs deewan!

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Old 02-07-2016, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Darren - really like those chairs! I have some tired Berklines that will stay behind, when we move to our empty nester pad and HT 2.0.
I will be looking forward to your impressions of the ButtKickers.

And although it pains me to say it; Go Hawks - your guys playing awesome this year

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
Old 02-07-2016, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

@cuzed2 The Berklines I had were fine, but I am really loving the additional support of the Fusion Escapes and the adjustable headrest. I would agree with your decision to leave the Berklines behind and get something newer. Once I get the buttkickers installed I will write up a review. I already know they will work great based on my experiences at @kjlewie theater. He has seats from the same seller and the same buttkicker setup I purchased. His setup is what sold me on the idea and he was kind enough to send photos of his system installed so I knew what to expect. Props to him!

The Hawks are playing great in all major men's sports. Ended the season with a horrible loss at the Rose Bowl, but the undefeated season leading up to the post season was great. Wrestling is #2 in the nation and basketball is in the Top 5. Great seasons by all programs considering the expectations for them coming into the year. Since I know you might be the only person on this forum that understands and appreciates this next pic, I'll share it here with you. It took a lot of leg work but I was able to pull it off and enjoy a full case in Pasadena. It's not a Hawkeye tailgate unless I have my Premium Grain Belt.

kjlewie likes this.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Rose Bowl - awesome!
Grain Belt - delicious
TOGETHER - PRICELESS

Hitting a bowl game is still on my bucket list, and inching up a bit higher every year.
As for the buttkickers - I am sure you will enjoy these. I just upgraded from cheap Aura shakers to a pair of Clark synthesis shakers - I am driving them with an inuke dsp, this allows me to "tune" their effect; so that they are only active at frequencies below 40Hz.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
Old 02-07-2016, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One more quick project for the theater today. I needed a better base for the uprights I installed for the two main speakers. $1.57 in parts (plumbing flanges), quick dry epoxy glue, and some 3/4 nails hot glued to the bottom of the flanges and now they are very stable on the carpet. I'll hide or doll up the wire with braided expandable sleeving. Now it's time to get the wings ready before everyone arrives for the Super Bowl party.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Just saw this build thread really impressed by your room and set up. Great Job

(2) GoldenEar Triton 1s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000, Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Integra 80.3, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 5, Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you very much @Ediddy . Nice choice on your amps.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much @Ediddy . Nice choice on your amps.
sorry for the late response but i just had to ship my XPR-2 back to emotiva. Im thankful for the warranty but the return shipping broke by heart and my wallet $109?. I have an XPA-5 but may sell it for an XPA -7 get 3 to go atmos. ill add two subs (seaton slave / master) and go 5.4.4

(2) GoldenEar Triton 1s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000, Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Integra 80.3, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 5, Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:59 PM

0ne question? why do you have the monitor up by the screen? what specifically do you use that for?

Old 02-26-2016, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 69
What speakers are those for LCR?
Old 02-27-2016, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 347 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked: 2112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
0ne question? why do you have the monitor up by the screen? what specifically do you use that for?
Probably to save hours on the expensive projector bulb when equipment is on, but direct attention is not involved. I use mine when listening to Pandora or other music.

I will not hoard audio gear
Archaea's FS Thread
Old 02-27-2016, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
@Archaea is correct. The 19" TV at the front of the room is used when I am listening to music using my AppleTV and to feed a video signal for a camera I have near my front door. If I'm enjoying some tunes and someone comes to the front door who I don't want to talk to, I don't have to stop the music and go find out who they are or what they want.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybe View Post
What speakers are those for LCR?
They are a set of DIY speakers I built about 1 year ago. There are some details in this thread, but a true build thread is found here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...t-II-The-Remix
Old 02-27-2016, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
They are a set of DIY speakers I built about 1 year ago. There are some details in this thread, but a true build thread is found here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...t-II-The-Remix

Thanks. I have been looking at the statements and finalists. Do you have a review of their sound? Also are you still using the Clearwave 4cc center or did you build a finalist center? If you are using the 4cc with the statements how do they blend together? Thanks.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
@Archaea is correct. The 19" TV at the front of the room is used when I am listening to music using my AppleTV and to feed a video signal for a camera I have near my front door. If I'm enjoying some tunes and someone comes to the front door who I don't want to talk to, I don't have to stop the music and go find out who they are or what they want.
Very smart now you have me thinking!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement