Old Woods Theater 2.0 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 165 Old 02-27-2014, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 57
FINALLY. The protective film is off the screen, the projector is hung, and I can start enjoying some movies. Here is a grab bag of photos from the room. I still need to build the media storage and bar for the second row seating. But first I have some movies to watch!!! Even though I opted not to buy the Black Diamond screen, the black levels of the JVC RS4910 are AMAZING!!! With the zero edge screen it's like watching a 100-inch plasma.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 165 Old 02-27-2014, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The more I see builds with a stone wall behind the screen, the more I like it. Well done on the near-finished project. Turned out awesome!

What program are you using as your media player?
post #93 of 165 Old 02-28-2014, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabukicks View Post

What program are you using as your media player?

I am using a Mede8er 600X3D. That is my second movie streamer. While it has a much more polished GUI, I am having some problems with it dropping the audio and tech support seems to be next to nothing. So there is a chance if I can't figure it out myself it will be going back.
post #94 of 165 Old 02-28-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Stunning front wall (and screen shots), VERY, very nice !
Tell me more about that edge back-lighting around the screen (I'm too lazy to search your thread) smile.gif

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #95 of 165 Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The ambient lighting around/behind the screen is an LED kit available from Screen Innovations. I choose to have the lights and the gray front stone wall because I believe that the lights and the gray color help increase contrast ratio and make the colors pop. I did a lot of reading about it prior to picking out both and found that a dark gray wall and white (6,500 Kelvin) is the best setup to help the video pop. And I have to say, it makes the 100" screen look AMAZING and reach perceived black levels that I would expect from a LED or plasma TV instead of a projector.
post #96 of 165 Old 02-28-2014, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am now seriously considering getting one of these SI no edge screens, their slate series looks good, so 133" should look pretty sweet
post #97 of 165 Old 02-28-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Nicely done deewan! Those pics look amazing... can imagine it looks even better in person. You're gonna give kjlewie a run for his money for the coveted "best stop of the crawl" or "best new or remodeled theater". Yes, I just made those up.
deewan likes this.
post #98 of 165 Old 03-01-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
+1

Holy cow Deewan! I leave town for a week and this is what you've been up to? Everything looks great! Firing up the LEDs really adds a nice touch to the environment.

Silly question...how are you liking it so far?

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #99 of 165 Old 03-01-2014, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

The ambient lighting around/behind the screen is an LED kit available from Screen Innovations. I choose to have the lights and the gray front stone wall because I believe that the lights and the gray color help increase contrast ratio and make the colors pop. I did a lot of reading about it prior to picking out both and found that a dark gray wall and white (6,500 Kelvin) is the best setup to help the video pop. And I have to say, it makes the 100" screen look AMAZING and reach perceived black levels that I would expect from a LED or plasma TV instead of a projector.

I have to agree that the LED backlighting looks great. You said it is white on the dark grey wall. In some of the pics (Capt America & the Striped Cat) it almost looks like a bluish hue. Is that the case in person as perceived not through a camera lens? Truly an upgraded room. Nicely done.

post #100 of 165 Old 03-02-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osufhall View Post

I have to agree that the LED backlighting looks great. You said it is white on the dark grey wall. In some of the pics (Capt America & the Striped Cat) it almost looks like a bluish hue. Is that the case in person as perceived not through a camera lens? Truly an upgraded room. Nicely done.

The LED can change color. So most of the time I have the 6500 K white lights on since that is best for viewing. But when I have music going to I just want to see something different, I change the color. For example, when I am listening to music I have the LED lights set to the same blue that shines from my Emotiva amps. Brings everything together.
post #101 of 165 Old 03-02-2014, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post

+1

Holy cow Deewan! I leave town for a week and this is what you've been up to? Everything looks great! Firing up the LEDs really adds a nice touch to the environment.

Silly question...how are you liking it so far?

Well, I knew you had set the bar pretty high with your room, so I had to pull out all the stops. I still have a few more tricks up my sleeve. I really want the golden man status (Oscar reference) for best new remodel and any other category ignoringmywife wants to make up. smile.gif

So far I am LOVING my room. Worst part is I have been out of town for a volleyball tourney so I have been unable to enjoy the room. But i plan on watching one or five movies down there today.
post #102 of 165 Old 03-02-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
post #103 of 165 Old 03-02-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 104
looks really really really really great. I went a different route with the black velvet panels around my screen but this works really really really good as well. I guess what every gets the overscan image to vanish is the trick so black absorption and back light provide the same desired effect only differently.
post #104 of 165 Old 03-02-2014, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

looks really really really really great. I went a different route with the black velvet panels around my screen but this works really really really good as well. I guess what every gets the overscan image to vanish is the trick so black absorption and back light provide the same desired effect only differently.

I have no overscan issues. Anything I do have would be soaked up by the tiny black frame.

I bought the stone panels at Menards.
post #105 of 165 Old 03-03-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess over scan is the wrong term what I meant was at 2.40:1 the projector is actually projecting black bars above and below the image since it is still a 16x9 projector. Even though it is black it is still light. Depending on the color of the wall you will see this light on the wall. With the black velvet it absorbs that light with the back lighting it does not matter either since the back lighting is brighter than the black projected light.

I think I just confused myself confused.gif
post #106 of 165 Old 03-03-2014, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

I guess over scan is the wrong term what I meant was at 2.40:1 the projector is actually projecting black bars above and below the image since it is still a 16x9 projector. Even though it is black it is still light. Depending on the color of the wall you will see this light on the wall. With the black velvet it absorbs that light with the back lighting it does not matter either since the back lighting is brighter than the black projected light.

I think I just confused myself confused.gif

I must be referring to a masking system. I had a DIY masking system built into my screen in my previous room and I hated it. With movies like the latest Batman series or several movies with subtitles I found myself being unable to use the masking system. The Batman movies have content in both 16:9 (I-Max) and 2.35:1, so using the masking system wasn't possible. And some movies use the lower black bar section for subtitles, which also makes the masking system a hindrance. Since I have a completely light controlled room and the black level from the JVC are so deep I don't feel I need a masking system. As I mentioned earlier, when I block the black light output of the JVC with my hand I can barely tell a difference between no projected light and the JVC's projected black light. That's the ideal setup in my mind.

I guess I don't understand the part that 2.35:1 content will project black light onto the wall. The black light will only hit the screen if the projector is native 16:9. Anything hitting the wall would mostly likely be considered overscan, but I have none even with the zero edge screen.
post #107 of 165 Old 03-03-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought you have a 2.40: 1 screen if not disregard all of my comments thay do not apply if you have a 16x9 screen.
post #108 of 165 Old 03-06-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have no overscan issues. Anything I do have would be soaked up by the tiny black frame.

I bought the stone panels at Menards.
Would you happen to have a link or the name of the product?

Thanks. smile.gif
post #109 of 165 Old 03-06-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

Would you happen to have a link or the name of the product?

Thanks. smile.gif

The product is Novik Dry Stack stone. $11.99 per panel.

http://www.novik.com/novistone-ds-en
post #110 of 165 Old 03-06-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

post #111 of 165 Old 03-06-2014, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Deewan, looks really good. I was planning on doing a faux stone panel for the outside of the theater entertainment area. I like to see it in action. I also have a ton of RGB strip leds lying around for a year waiting for me to build a screen for them to go around. I love the way it looks in your room. I'm looking for a module that could scan the image you are viewing and try to match the color. Have you seen anything like that? If I cant find that, I might just go with a music module.

My First Build Ever (which just so happens to be a theater!) (In progress)
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482020/my-first-build-ever
post #112 of 165 Old 03-06-2014, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have not seen a module that tries to duplicate the video color. I don't think I would want one since I would need either another hdmi output to send it or send my video signal through that module on it's way to the display device. No many chances for introducing noise into the picture.

The music module is cool if you want that, but most modules allow you to change the color and have auto changing 'scenes'.
post #113 of 165 Old 03-11-2014, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No picture updates, but I have taken some steps to complete the remaining projects in the room. The materials have been purchased for the in-wall media storage that will be installed near my equipment rack. I've made it large enough to house double the CD and Blu-Ray collection I currently own. Which should be a safe bet considering I am moving more to digital media than discs. I hope to get a lot of the wood work done this weekend and then the electrical wiring for the media storage next week.

I've decided the second row table/bar will most likely be a project for Fall 2014. I have a golf trip to the Ozarks in 3 weeks and I am hoping not long after I return from that trip I will be able to start playing on a regular basis around here. So instead of spending the remaining time this spring on building a bar, I am going to watch movies and use the room before summer strikes. My summers are busy enough that the room gets only a few hours of use each month during the summer.

I've brought down my boxes of sound absorbing material from the attic so I can start playing around with my first reflection ceiling clouds. Once I determine the location and size of the panels I will dye them from their stock color of white to black so they blend into the black ceiling. I might need to wait for warmer weather before I play around with the dye. I am sure the wife won't want that stuff in the house in case I spill.

Last but not least, I've order a dedicated iPad which I hope will be my motivation to add iRule to my theater. Ecrabb, if you are reading this, watch your inbox in case I have any questions. biggrin.gif
post #114 of 165 Old 03-11-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Saw your photos in the show me thread, Curious (and apologies, to lazy to read your whole thread), what's that monitor on your front wall for?
post #115 of 165 Old 03-11-2014, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Saw your photos in the show me thread, Curious (and apologies, to lazy to read your whole thread), what's that monitor on your front wall for?

The LED TV near the front wall serves a few purposes. I mostly use when listening to digital music. I can display the AppleTV menu on the TV without having to warm up the projector. I can also use the TV if I want to quickly see what is on TV without having to turn on the projector, or display video of a different TV channel while watching the main game on the big screen. Last use, I can stream video from a camera located at my front door. That way if I am down stairs enjoying a game or movie and a door-to-door salesman stops by, I can save my time and ignore the doorbell. However, if it's the pizza delivery man, up the stairs I fly with cash in hand. cool.gif
quamosa likes this.
post #116 of 165 Old 03-11-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Cool. I figured that's what you were up to.
post #117 of 165 Old 03-12-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:

I have not seen a module that tries to duplicate the video color. I don't think I would want one since I would need either another hdmi output to send it or send my video signal through that module on it's way to the display device. No many chances for introducing noise into the picture.

The music module is cool if you want that, but most modules allow you to change the color and have auto changing 'scenes'.

Yeah my kits came with the modules that allow manual/auto color change. The IR reception seems to be a bit spotty with them. Sometimes I have to click more than once to get a response.

post #118 of 165 Old 03-12-2014, 08:52 AM

Are you going with the same bar design you went with on your old theater or did you have something else in mind? Also what size screen is that?

post #119 of 165 Old 03-12-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post

Yeah my kits came with the modules that allow manual/auto color change. The IR reception seems to be a bit spotty with them. Sometimes I have to click more than once to get a response.

The LED kit that came with my Screen Innovation screen is just as spotty to IR commands. If I would have paid for the LED kit I would not be happy. For ~$500 that darn thing should at least respond to IR commands from the supplied remote. Anyone who is handy at all could duplicate the LED kit and install it themselves with about $40 worth of products and 1-2 hours of time. For a DIY guy like me, I would have gone that route.

Quote:

Are you going with the same bar design you went with on your old theater or did you have something else in mind? Also what size screen is that?
The new bar will be completely different than the old bar. The old bar was 9 ft wide and prevented me from getting to the main seats on the right side of the room. The new bar will be 6.5 ft wide to allow traffic to follow on both sides of the theater seats. Only issue will be I will only be able to seat two people there. But the bar wasn't used that often so I'm not that worried. The previous bar had a table top at 36 inches with a 6 inch lip that extended up and across the front and sides. The overall height was about 42 inches and with solid, flat surfaces everywhere it did effect sound in the room. When fully reclined in the theater seats, the bar acted as a barrier between the rear channels and the listener. The new bar design will have a flat top to help reduce the height and perceived size of the bar. The undersides will be more open to help reduce sound issues and eliminate the separation between the main listener and rear channels when reclined in the chairs.
post #120 of 165 Old 03-12-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also what size screen is that?
Sorry, forgot to answer this question. The screen is 100-inches. The biggest I could go considering the height on my center channel and not wanting to mount the screen any higher on the wall (wanting to see the LED lights shine on the rock wall)
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page