Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #151 of 166 Old 05-15-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I just read through your thread. If I understood correctly there were three goals to your upgrade; improved aesthetics, a more lively, less absorptive sound and better sound proofing.
The aesthetic upgrade is obvious. As others have commented I love the rock faced screen wall and the staggered panels which blend very nicely.
You made a comment that the acoustics were as good, if not better than your previous theater. Given the 2D diffuser at the first reflection point and the use of hard flooring in the back half of the room I assume that the sound is noticeably different. I think audio recollection is a muddy thing, but do you have any other thoughts on the difference in sound for movies and music?
I see no comment on the sound proofing. Did the use of channel and insulation have any obvious affect?

Your ceiling height was 7.5 feet correct? How long and wide is your theater?

By the way, I liked your observation that it was difficult to tell the difference between projected black and black shadowed by your hand.
That puts the JVC black level into perspective.
I remember how dismayed I was when I brought home my first projector a few years ago (a Panasonic AE 4000 "Ultra Contrast") and was able to perform shadow puppet shows on a projected black screen. I have been running low cost DLP's ever since. Glad to know that when I upgrade to a real projector the shadow puppet show will be a thing of the past.
ellisr63 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 166 Old 05-16-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I think there are different tiers of projects, Panasonic is not in the same tier as JVC/Sim2, etc. In my opinion the real deal starts around 4-5K, but it seems like the Ultra Black Epsons have done an OK job in the black department, just from reading reviews.

Current Projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #153 of 166 Old 05-16-2014, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaddog View Post

Wow, I really am diggin' your room. Love how you used so many different materials and yet made it look fantastic. I have thought about getting iRule and you setups just look awesome and have just about pushed me over the fence to give it a go.

Thank you for the kind words. After a steep learning curve with iRule (with I have read about a lot), I REALLY like how easy it is and how effective it is. It really is very easy to personalize if you choose to do so. the best thing I can suggest is to download the free 30-day trial and work with it a bit. Watch the tutorials on the iRule page. They really help. Once you understand how the main features work, you can begin to guess at how other things work. For me at least, the first 1-2 hours seems hopeless. Now, it is so easy and seems logical how to set things up.

post #154 of 166 Old 05-16-2014, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

I just read through your thread. If I understood correctly there were three goals to your upgrade; improved aesthetics, a more lively, less absorptive sound and better sound proofing.
The aesthetic upgrade is obvious. As others have commented I love the rock faced screen wall and the staggered panels which blend very nicely.
You made a comment that the acoustics were as good, if not better than your previous theater. Given the 2D diffuser at the first reflection point and the use of hard flooring in the back half of the room I assume that the sound is noticeably different. I think audio recollection is a muddy thing, but do you have any other thoughts on the difference in sound for movies and music?
I see no comment on the sound proofing. Did the use of channel and insulation have any obvious affect?

Your ceiling height was 7.5 feet correct? How long and wide is your theater?

By the way, I liked your observation that it was difficult to tell the difference between projected black and black shadowed by your hand.
That puts the JVC black level into perspective.
I remember how dismayed I was when I brought home my first projector a few years ago (a Panasonic AE 4000 "Ultra Contrast") and was able to perform shadow puppet shows on a projected black screen. I have been running low cost DLP's ever since. Glad to know that when I upgrade to a real projector the shadow puppet show will be a thing of the past.

You bring up a very good point. I haven't really addressed the final acoustics of the room. At first I hadn't commented because I was waiting on a new processor and didn't want to spend time monkeying with the current processor only to have that EQ work be thrown away when I upgrade. However, I am still waiting on the new processor so I went ahead and re-calibrated everything using the current gear. If my audio memory serves me properly, I can tell a good difference between the old room and the new room. Sound isolation has been improved. Not as much as I had hoped, but it is very noticeable difference. I don't hear people walking around upstairs anymore and with the exception of bass, the sound is mostly contained to the room. The sound doesn't decay as quickly as in the old room thanks to the decreased absorption, so I say the room sounds more alive. However, there isn't a reverb or echo, so it doesn't fail the clap test. I was trying to strike an even chord (pun?) with 2-channel music and movie surround sound and for the money I spent, I feel I accomplished it. I could have improved the sound more, but besides material costs my out of pocket expense for the acoustics in this room was $0!!! I'm not saying I have a room that sounds as good as a Rives or another company's room. But only my time was spent researching and not the $1500-$2000 for a entry level design.

Many 2-channel live concert recording give the impression of a large concert hall. The sound stage across the front has really impressed me. Prior to a few weeks ago, I didn't have anything EQ'ed and I didn't have my ceiling clouds installed (no pictures posted yet). The room and speakers gave the impression of listening to a good set of headphones. I couldn't pinpoint the sound coming from the speakers, but I could pin point the sound stage (imaging) either. I set the EQ, set the distances, played with the amount the speakers were toe'd in, installed the ceiling clouds and BOOM. First track I listened to I literally got up from my seat and walked to the center channel because I swore I had left the multi-channel DSP turned on and the center channel was active and playing. I was happy to find that the center channel was not active and only the main fronts were producing sound. The sound stage between the speakers is amazing and with a little more tweaking I was able to gain some sound stage outside of the speakers width. That is good enough for now. Once I get the new processor I hope to obtain the same results and add the depth to the sound stage.

Movie soundtracks have also benefited. I don't recall the movie I was watching the other day, but several times I turned my head because I thought my wife had entered the room behind me and was about to interrupt my movie. I had similar experiences before with louder, and more pronounced surround sounds, but I am beginning to pick up the smaller effects now. Most multi-channel soundtracks make the walls disappear completely and I hear only what the sound engineer wants us to hear in the 'movie environment'.

To answer your question, my room does have 7.5 feet ceiling and is 12.5 feet wide and 19 feet deep. I would like a larger room, but 60% of the time it is only me down in the room, and for that it is plenty big. smile.gif
DavidK442 likes this.

post #155 of 166 Old 05-16-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Great response. Thanks.
Sounds like Theater 2.0 was well worth the time and money.
Enjoy.

post #156 of 166 Old 05-16-2014, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Are you having any issues with your TiVo and the UMC-1? Which TiVo is it, a Roamio, or a Premiere?

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

post #157 of 166 Old 05-16-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Great response. Thanks.
Sounds like Theater 2.0 was well worth the time and money.
Enjoy.
It was in my eyes. And since I did all the researching, designed, and building myself, it was pretty cheap all things considered. I think final cost without the equipment upgrades was less than $4K. Almost half of that cost was on the rock wall, solid core door, and equipment rack and shelves. I also sold a few items like the 2-zone Grafix Eye which was replaced with a 3-zone, from the old theater to offset those costs. So it worked out even better in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

Are you having any issues with your TiVo and the UMC-1? Which TiVo is it, a Roamio, or a Premiere?
My main (whole home) "Tivo" is in the theater and is housed in a Pace MG-1 cable box. It's essentially just the Tivo software in the Pace box. I have Tivo minis in other rooms. But I have had no problems with the UMC and the main DVR hub. Then again, outside of golf, I rarely watch TV down in the basement until football season starts so my experience is limited.

post #158 of 166 Old 05-16-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

My main (whole home) "Tivo" is in the theater and is housed in a Pace MG-1 cable box. It's essentially just the Tivo software in the Pace box. I have Tivo minis in other rooms. But I have had no problems with the UMC and the main DVR hub. Then again, outside of golf, I rarely watch TV down in the basement until football season starts so my experience is limited.

Cool, I have an audio issue if I use HDMI audio from the TiVo to the UMC-200. I just added in an optical cable and use that for audio. Don't lose any quality, just checking. I'm looking for someone with a Roamio to perhaps tell me the new units could possibly solve my issue.

post #159 of 166 Old 05-16-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

Cool, I have an audio issue if I use HDMI audio from the TiVo to the UMC-200. I just added in an optical cable and use that for audio. Don't lose any quality, just checking. I'm looking for someone with a Roamio to perhaps tell me the new units could possibly solve my issue.

That's an odd duck? Have you found anyone else with the same issues? What is the audio issue you expereince? Dropouts? I'm curious if switching to a different HDMI port on the UMC-200 would make a difference.

post #160 of 166 Old 05-16-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

That's an odd duck? Have you found anyone else with the same issues? What is the audio issue you expereince? Dropouts? I'm curious if switching to a different HDMI port on the UMC-200 would make a difference.

It's actually pretty common between DVRs and the UMC-200. I was almost expecting it to happen based on what I read, and it did.

Basically, when you FF/REW or Play/Pause or switch channels to a channel broadcasting a different resolution, or going into the menu or guide, basically anytime the audio might cut out and back, it would sometimes get hung up on a single bit of information and repeat it, loudly, it almost sounded like a machine gun. Another quick Play/Pause would usually fix the issue. And it didn't happen all the time. I think it happened 3 times during the first week I had the UMC-200. The common solution was to route audio through an optical cable. Haven't had an issue since.

My non-scientific, totally evidence-free hypothesis is that the UMC-200 needs a good, solid, robust HDMI stream to lock onto, and DVRs don't quite offer that all the time.

post #161 of 166 Old 05-16-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Red pill or Blue pill - love it! The iRule screenshots look fantastic - thumbs up! Very motivational. I'm going to sit down with iRule for a few hours and set if I can get something functional.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.

post #162 of 166 Old 05-16-2014, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post

I'm going to sit down with iRule for a few hours and set if I can get something functional.

You're move Mr Lewis. Welcome to my new lighting page and drawer... smile.gif
Dedicated page

Drawer

But seriously kjlewie, if you need help with iRule before Sunday, give me a call or shoot me a text.

post #163 of 166 Old 06-01-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thought I would post another update. While it is golf season and not much works gets done inside during this time of year, the rainy weather has allowed for some small projects. This past week I installed the first reflection point ceiling absorption. I am VERY happy with how the room reacts with 2-channel music. Most of my 2-channel demo material sounds the best my audio memory ever recalls. A few of my buddies even commented that the sound stage is pin point and stated the always over used phrase, "the speakers disappear". But I have to agree. If I close my eyes and turn my head, I can't point where the speakers are located. I only hear voices or instruments across the front of the room. So, I am very excited about the room treatments and room sound. Not bad since I am still not using any room correction processing and it was all DIY!

post #164 of 166 Old 08-02-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Deewan, this is Matt...I was fortunate enough to see your home theater during the meet up several weeks ago. We're in the process of buying a new home that has a space for a home theater and really are wanting to steal your idea of using the faux stone. I was looking online at Lowe's and see a ton of different options that might work but really dig yours...both the look/style and the color. Which brand/style did you go with? Where did you purchase it? I've hung lots of double four vinyl siding on outside of buildings but never hung any vinyl inside. Any tips or would I just install the same way with the starter strip and J-channel, etc?
post #165 of 166 Old 08-02-2014, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sx460 View Post
Hi Deewan, this is Matt...I was fortunate enough to see your home theater during the meet up several weeks ago. We're in the process of buying a new home that has a space for a home theater and really are wanting to steal your idea of using the faux stone. I was looking online at Lowe's and see a ton of different options that might work but really dig yours...both the look/style and the color. Which brand/style did you go with? Where did you purchase it? I've hung lots of double four vinyl siding on outside of buildings but never hung any vinyl inside. Any tips or would I just install the same way with the starter strip and J-channel, etc?
Check out post #109 for the details on the stone wall.

Tips... I bought the starter strip for the bottom. For interior use where it will be flush against the floor, it was not needed. But it only cost $12 or so. So it wasn't a complete waste. But I wouldn't use it again. Other than that, just use a level on each piece before hanging. I used four normal 1-inch drywall screws to attach to the front wall since I had two layers of 1/2 drywall hung on that wall. I used jigsaw with a fine tooth blade to cut the end and starter pieces of each row and a dremel tool to make cutters for the outlets and screen mounts. If you have any specific questions, simply shoot me a message or post.

post #166 of 166 Old 09-04-2014, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Newest edition to the theater, the Emotiva XMC-1. Just got it hooked up and a quick and dirty setup done. LOVE the looks and it does sound very dynamic. I'll have to listen more when I have a free moment.

ellisr63 and kjlewie like this.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page