Old Woods Theater 2.0 - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes
post #181 of 273 Old 12-16-2014, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to keep an eye on what you do for a bar, I have a room just slightly smaller than yours and am planning a main row at about 10' and a bar behind it, totally understand enjoying the room at this point vs doing more building though.

Did you order your GOM Fabric online or through a local supplier? I'll most certainly get some samples first to see what we like best but your room turned out great so that'll give me a good starting point anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 273 Old 12-16-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I got my samples and ordered online. I still have a fair amount left over so I would have the company's name that I ordered from if you want a suggestion. I know I shopped around for a month looking for the best prices on Fabric. It was actually one of the more expensive things I had to purchase for the room.
post #183 of 273 Old 12-16-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If it's not too much work I'd love the recommendation - I didn't do any shopping around yet but the couple prices I saw did look like it would be a little expensive, I think the look and ability to do some sound treatments behind it is worth it though.

Last edited by mklukas; 12-16-2014 at 03:08 PM.
post #184 of 273 Old 12-16-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like I didn't keep the bag as I thought I had. But I am pretty sure I ordered rom Fabricmate.com. If you do a quick search, you will find more places are basically the same price. But you will find one place that is slightly lower. That's the one I bought from and they were great.
post #185 of 273 Old 12-24-2014, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Seeing how it's been just over a year since I started the remodel, I thought it would be time for another remodel project with the theater. When I made the first remodel a year ago I made the equipment closet as small as possible. Well, turns out, I wish I had some more room in there for ventilation and wire management. Sooo, down came half the closet and the rebuild began. It was a nice quick project, taking up only 1/2 day. I added 7 inches to the width of the cabinet and reran many of the wires going into and inside the cabinet. I need to grab some pieces of drywall to finish the new walls. Luckily for me, the house across the street is being completely gutted and remodeled so I have worked out a deal for some free, narrow drywall scraps. No reason to buy a big sheet when I need one 8 inch wide strip.

I've also ordered a thermo-controled, dual fan system to keep cool are inside the cabinet. I'll post more pictures when the project is 100% complete. Until then, I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

post #186 of 273 Old 01-11-2015, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Rack looks nice!

What size door is that? It looks a little less wide than standard doors, but it might just be perspective.
post #187 of 273 Old 01-11-2015, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
Rack looks nice!

What size door is that? It looks a little less wide than standard doors, but it might just be perspective.
You are correct, the door is non-standard width. It's a 20-inch wide door. I knew I didn't want a 36-inch wide door and as luck would have it I was able to find a solid oak prehung door on Craigslist for $10. The door knob I found on clearance ($12) cost more than the door.

I also cut 6 inches off the bottom of the door to reduce it's height as the door and AV closet needed to fit beneath some HVAC duct work.
post #188 of 273 Old 01-11-2015, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Perfect. I think I'd like to use a door like that to get into my equipment room, and that looks like about the right size. Hopefully I can score a similar deal
deewan likes this.
post #189 of 273 Old 01-15-2015, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, finally got the Dirac room-correction software and hardware so I spent some time today measuring and calibrating the room. Considering this was my first attempt at an acoustically 'sound' room and I was simply building with the knowledge I gained through research, I was very happy to discover my room measured very well before room-correction software. All things considered (no consultants, no designers) I am very happy.

The main speakers run full range and seemed to measure fairly flat. The light blue lines are the actual response of the left/right main speakers and the orange line is the target house curve. I was able to flatten this response out a bit more after moving the speakers in just a bit from the side walls and toeing them in a few degrees. This was the first measurement I took before the tweaking so the beginnings result was actually a little more tame than this...
Mains before room-correction filters applied:

My surrounds are clearly not full range but measure pretty good for their size. Again, the rooms seems to be fairly solid with the room treatments.
Surrounds before room-correction filters applied:

Mains after room-correction filters applied:
The green line is the speakers response after the room-correction filters have been applied. Darn flat and darn close to that house curve.

After a few demo clips of both surround and 2-channel, I can say I am very happy with the results. channel separation and sound stage have improved and the mid and upper end sound is perfect to my ear. My only complaint was the bass. It is differently tighter and cleaner sounding (I should post some implies graphs to help display what I mean), but it doesn't sound as powerful. I am guessing it is because of the cleaner delay and roll-off of the low-end. I'll play around a bit more, but not much since I was planning on adding 1-2 rear subs at some point. For now, I am really enjoying the new, amazing sound.
post #190 of 273 Old 01-16-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 67
The blue line looks plenty good, but that green line looks pratically perfect. If the bass sounds cleaner but not as powerful, I'm guessing the planned 1-2 rear subs will do the trick. Did you decide yet between DIY and Golder Ear?

diy...diy...diy
deewan likes this.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #191 of 273 Old 01-16-2015, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I want DIY, but this cold weather and deals I can get on the GoldenEar ForceField subs have me torn. I need to make a decision soon though.
post #192 of 273 Old 01-16-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
I want DIY, but this cold weather and deals I can get on the GoldenEar ForceField subs have me torn. I need to make a decision soon though.
Dude... You're disappointing me. Golden Ear? I read Mark's review, looked at his measurements, considered what he was going from (yikes), and the big Golden Ear does sound like a nice little sub for a "normal" home theater and/or a nice living room system, but I don't think it even comes close to meeting BBS design specifications.

It's down 6db at 20hz. Sounds like a nice music sub as a complement to their mains if you're into that sort of thing, but it doesn't look like it's remotely comparable to DIY subs at even half the price to me. That sort of performance is a little better, but still comparable to what I ditched when I went DIY, and I'm surprised you're even remotely interested. Maybe I'm missing something.

Cheers,
SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #193 of 273 Old 01-17-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

What are BBS designs specifications?
post #194 of 273 Old 01-17-2015, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
OP, good job on your theater Looks awesome!
deewan likes this.
post #195 of 273 Old 01-19-2015, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post
What are BBS designs specifications?
The subs I built for you fit the bill.

ecrabb - I don't need a sub for boom, I simply need it to fill in a null or two in my room that I was unable to fully fix with EQ and timing. Its a fill thing, not an add SPL thing. I've listened to the Golden Ear several times and while it might not be the biggest baddest sub out there, it certainly does not disappoint especially at a price where I would struggle building a DIY sub with similar specs. It is amazing what happens when MSRP is slashed. I've priced a 300-watt amp, mid-line 10 inch driver, and cheap plywood and not sure I can beat what the GoldenEar ForceField offers. That being said, I am still throwing ideas around. But right now I am starting my bar/table instead of a sub build. Pics soon.
post #196 of 273 Old 01-22-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
The subs I built for you fit the bill.

ecrabb - I don't need a sub for boom, I simply need it to fill in a null or two in my room that I was unable to fully fix with EQ and timing. Its a fill thing, not an add SPL thing. I've listened to the Golden Ear several times and while it might not be the biggest baddest sub out there, it certainly does not disappoint especially at a price where I would struggle building a DIY sub with similar specs. It is amazing what happens when MSRP is slashed. I've priced a 300-watt amp, mid-line 10 inch driver, and cheap plywood and not sure I can beat what the GoldenEar ForceField offers. That being said, I am still throwing ideas around. But right now I am starting my bar/table instead of a sub build. Pics soon.
deewan,

Happy Belated NY!
Looking forward to your bar/table build.

a seasonal question for you:
Have you switched from watching BIG10 basketball to perhaps watching BIG12 (aka ISU) basketball yet?

thrillcat likes this.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #197 of 273 Old 01-22-2015, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
deewan,

Happy Belated NY!
Looking forward to your bar/table build.

a seasonal question for you:
Have you switched from watching BIG10 basketball to perhaps watching BIG12 (aka ISU) basketball yet?

Yes, I was watching Big12 basketball the other night. Cheering for K-State as they played TransferU in lAmes. Good to see all those transfers keep paying off for Freddie. Real NBA type players like he promised. Can't hit free throws and seem to be "unique' players with unique back stories.
post #198 of 273 Old 01-26-2015, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
WOW, Your faux stone wall looks AMAZING

Hey Deewan, that wall is absolutely amazing. I was looking to do a similar setup in my room, I just have a few questions about the installation. I've been reading some of your post about not even having to use the starter trim, so not sure if I will get it but it is only $12. what did u do where you had a outlet/media boxes? did u remove finish plate and cut out rough opening and then fasten the finish plate back on the wall? i'm asking cause the stone wall is not flat and wonder how that would workout? Also what did u do at the very top? is there a finish trim piece for the top or you just cut the stone flush to the ceiling?

thanks,
Vince
post #199 of 273 Old 01-26-2015, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincez28 View Post
Hey Deewan, that wall is absolutely amazing. I was looking to do a similar setup in my room, I just have a few questions about the installation. I've been reading some of your post about not even having to use the starter trim, so not sure if I will get it but it is only $12. what did u do where you had a outlet/media boxes? did u remove finish plate and cut out rough opening and then fasten the finish plate back on the wall? i'm asking cause the stone wall is not flat and wonder how that would workout? Also what did u do at the very top? is there a finish trim piece for the top or you just cut the stone flush to the ceiling?

thanks,
Vince
Thanks for the compliment Vince. If I were to do it again, I would avoid use the start strip even if it were free. It adds no benefit during an interior install. For the electrical outlets I used a Dremel and a cutting bit to cut out holes for the outlets, same I did for drywall. To bridge the gap between the drywall and the unwell junction box I used junction box extenders.

At the very top, I think I had roughly 3 inch. I cut the bottom 3 inches off of several panels and installed them. It was a bit tricky and you end up rubbing against the ceiling as you flip the stone up into place, but once it is there is is a nice flat, flush finish.
post #200 of 273 Old 01-27-2015, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the reply deewan. Is it possible to take an actual picture of how your outlet looks from a side view and the top of your stone so I have a better understanding?

Thanks,
Vince
post #201 of 273 Old 01-28-2015, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Late night at work and didn't make it to the gym, so I decided to work on the theater a bit. Finally got around to fully enclosing the equipment closet. Added the thermostat and exhaust fans to keep the closet cool. The wife seems to think I over engineered the cooling system which means I did just enough...

This past weekend I also started to piece together the second row table for the room. I wasn't sure what I wanted it to look like and I am still working on the details for what I will use as a tabletop. But progress is being made. For the tabletop I'm thinking either solid wood, white marble tiles framed by wood, or a solid piece of granite. Until I get that decision made, I will continue to work on the legs.

I need to do a few more rounds of sanding then pretreat the wood before staining. I decided on a slate stain for the legs that matches the walls very well and allows the wood grain to show. I'm a fan and I think any of the table top choices I have will look great.
Jonny5nz and quamosa like this.
post #202 of 273 Old 01-29-2015, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Nice work on the table. Can't wait to see the final product. Your old bar inspired me to build my own. What did you ever do with it?

My First Build Ever in progress
post #203 of 273 Old 01-29-2015, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
Nice work on the table. Can't wait to see the final product. Your old bar inspired me to build my own. What did you ever do with it?
I sold the old bar on Craigslist. It was a heavy beast of a thing. I sold the bar and three barstools for $25 with the requirement the buyer had to carry it out of my house - I wasn't going to lift a finger. The buyer brought two friends with him and they struggled for 20 minutes getting it out and loaded into a trailer. Truth be told, I would have gladly paid someone $25 to remove the table and haul away a free bar. So I came out feeling pretty good on my sale.
post #204 of 273 Old 02-07-2015, 09:12 AM

Hey Deewan, Can u please post a few pics of how your top row of your stone wall finished up against the ceiling and of audio/video/outlet wall plates, I know you suggested junction box extenders but I would like to see how it came out as I will be attempting to do the wall sometime next weekend

Thanks,
Vince
post #205 of 273 Old 02-07-2015, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

@vincez28 , here are the pictures you requested. I had to use the flash since there isn't a lot of light near the ceiling at the front of the room. So many minor flaws seen in these photos are can't see with the naked eye.

Rockwell meets the ceiling:

The outlet:
post #206 of 273 Old 02-07-2015, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I made some progress on the second row table this week. Legs turn out great. They have the perfect blend of rustic and modern. I have the base tabletop installed and I ordered the finishing laminate yesterday. I was thinking of using granite, but it just wasn't worth the extra hassle and I wasn't going to be able to have the exact size, shape, and edging I wanted unless I wanted to spend over $1600 for a custom piece. Just isn't worth it for a table that doesn't get used much. I'll post more pictures once the table is complete. And then.... maybe kjlewie will get his wish and see some DIY subs being built.

The tabletop laminate will be calcutta marble with a bullnose edging.
post #207 of 273 Old 02-07-2015, 09:43 AM

Wow Thanks deewan for the quick respose. so ur outlet plate landed on a flatter part of the panel. Im worried that mine will land in between the bulkier part and a flatter part of the stone panel itself.

thanks,
vince
post #208 of 273 Old 02-07-2015, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

At an extreme angle you can see the plate doesn't lay completely flat. All my plates are hidden behind my front subwoofer, so even a bad mismatch wouldn't be seen. But with a little bit of dremel work, you can get the wall plates to fit pretty snuggle.

The other option you have is to use the flat panels designed for exterior siding and outlets or water outlets. I believe they are called j-blocks. n I didn't see a need for myself since I had pretty good luck and mine are tucked away.
post #209 of 273 Old 02-09-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I made some progress on the second row table this week. Legs turn out great. They have the perfect blend of rustic and modern. I have the base tabletop installed and I ordered the finishing laminate yesterday. I was thinking of using granite, but it just wasn't worth the extra hassle and I wasn't going to be able to have the exact size, shape, and edging I wanted unless I wanted to spend over $1600 for a custom piece. Just isn't worth it for a table that doesn't get used much. I'll post more pictures once the table is complete. And then.... maybe kjlewie will get his wish and see some DIY subs being built.
Nice work on the table, I really like the legs. Looking forward to pics of the finishing laminate process. Makes sense not to spend lots of $$$ on a custom granite piece for a table that won't get much use. We made a similar decision for our 2nd row.

Regarding the DIY subs...let me know if you need a hand. I love the smell of MDF in the morning!
deewan likes this.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #210 of 273 Old 02-12-2015, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Great Job @deewan , love the rock wall and back lit screen.
Your screen wall picture has been saved to my design ideas folder
Do you find any rattles or vibrations from the rock wall?
Or did you do something to prevent that?

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page