post #211 of 214 Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
...Do you find any rattles or vibrations from the rock wall?
Or did you do something to prevent that?
I did nothing to prevent rattles. The rock pieces lock together fairly tight and when attaching to the wall with screws they are secure and tight. With my main speakers and subwoofer up front, I would think if there were a chance of rattles that would exploit it. But I've heard nothing and I've had the volume up loud enough where I've questioned if any rattle I hear are the teeth in my mouth.

If you were worried about rattles, it would be very easy to throw a dab of construction adhesive on the back of each panel when you install it. that would ensure that no matter the SPL the panels wouldn't move.
Waterboy77 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 214 Old 02-12-2015, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I'd like to know more about your Roxul and track system for sound insulation. Im finishing my basement and I am thinking of using this same setup.

Do you have livable space right above the space where people walk? How much did it help?
post #213 of 214 Old 02-12-2015, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmarshall View Post
I'd like to know more about your Roxul and track system for sound insulation. Im finishing my basement and I am thinking of using this same setup.

Do you have livable space right above the space where people walk? How much did it help?
Directly above the theater is an office and a spare bedroom. Both the office and bedroom have hardwood floors. Before my remodel I had a small amount of wall (not as thick as it should be) insulation between the floor joists and double drywall attached directly to the floor joists. The sound transfer between the two floors was horrible. If my wife walked anywhere upstairs I could tell which room my wife was in even when she wore socks. At moderate levels music would transfer from the theater to the office/bedroom or the 2-channel system in my office could be heard in the theater.

During the remodel I added roxul between all the floor joists. I used channeling and whisper clips as well as two layers of drywall with green glue between. The difference has been amazing. Only with no audio playing in the theater can I hear footsteps above... and that is only when my wife is wearing hard soled shoes or boots. Even then, it is barely noticed. With any audio playing not foot noise can be heard. With music playing at a reasonable level in the theater VERY little can be heard upstairs, mostly only bass notes. And vice versa, when I have my 2-channel system playing in my office I can't hear anything in the theater unless the upstairs sub kicks in and nothing is turned on downstairs.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me or ask here.
post #214 of 214 Unread Today, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There is a project brewing.....

Some sawdust was made yesterday but the 10 degree temps have halted all progress today. I really wish we could have an early spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page