post #61 of 1122 Old 11-27-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

In the movie "Now You See Me," FBI agent Dylan Rhodes is handed a flyer for the second performance of the The Four Horseman. It takes place on Feb 28 at 8 PM at the Savoy Theater. This is dlbeck's second "theater" and he wants to have it finished by that night. Dlbeck's The Savoy also features four horsemen and will have a little bit of magic. cool.gif

"Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you’ll actually see."

Wow, that's a little creepy but at least now I know the home theater will be done by February 28th...it's destiny. :-) I can't wait for the four horsemen to slam me in the chest with that mid-bass!!!

Thanks DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1122 Old 11-30-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thinking about putting the risers on these foam supports but they may remove too much of the tactile feel for the LFE. Thoughts?

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/stud_beam_isolators.html
post #63 of 1122 Old 11-30-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

Thinking about putting the risers on these foam supports but they may remove too much of the tactile feel for the LFE. Thoughts?

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/stud_beam_isolators.html

Why?

Just build riser on Serenity mat.................easier. I have my riser sitting on 3/4 AC plywood over Serenity matt and tactile feel is GREAT! No butt kickers needed! wink.gif
post #64 of 1122 Old 12-01-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Why?

Just build riser on Serenity mat.................easier. I have my riser sitting on 3/4 AC plywood over Serenity matt and tactile feel is GREAT! No butt kickers needed! wink.gif

Yes, I did consider that as well. I ordered a couple rolls of the serenity mat for the stage so what's a few more to install under the riser. Thanks DW.
post #65 of 1122 Old 12-03-2013, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update: Lots going on for planning but no new construction yet in the home theater. Just got the shingles on the house so they will start framing in the basement soon.

Activities over the last couple days:
*I ordered a couple more rolls of the serenity mat from the Soundproofing company to install under my riser and stage.
*Also finished up my electrical plan so the electrician can provide me a new quote this week.
*Received my new HVAC quote after discussions with the HVAC engineer. Ouch! Glad I went with the Epson projector over the Sony or the budget would really be shot to hell.
*Won an auction on eBay for a Panamorph UH480 for use with the Epson 6030. Hopefully a sweet deal once I confirm it works properly. Still looking for a sled and mounting plate.
*Also got all my Insteon equipment ordered for the whole house over the weekend.
*Contacted Central Iowa Lighting Solutions to work with them on the step and aisle lighting. They are a carrier of Celestial Lighting and hope to go with lighting like this:
http://www.celestiallighting.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=149

Plans are coming together.

Looking forward to our Iowa Audio get together this weekend!
post #66 of 1122 Old 12-04-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

Plans are coming together.

post #67 of 1122 Old 12-04-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Update: Lots going on for planning but no new construction yet in the home theater. Just got the shingles on the house so they will start framing in the basement soon.

Activities over the last couple days:

*Received my new HVAC quote after discussions with the HVAC engineer. Ouch! Glad I went with the Epson projector over the Sony or the budget would really be shot to

Plans are coming together.!

HVAC budgets can go out the window fast! Don't skip or compromise this line item. HVAC was the single most important aspect of our build and am happy we did invest in system.

We have variable stage gas furnace/AC with Harmony 4 zone system and temperatures are consistent throughout home! Invested in most energy efficient system Lennox had to offer which has cut our heating/cooling bills in half. Won't take long to recover costs. I might add, two inches of spray foam insulation along with regular R-24 batts helps too! biggrin.gif
post #68 of 1122 Old 12-04-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

HVAC budgets can go out the window fast! Don't skip or compromise this line item. HVAC was the single most important aspect of our build and am happy we did invest in system.

We have variable stage gas furnace/AC with Harmony 4 zone system and temperatures are consistent throughout home! Invested in most energy efficient system Lennox had to offer which has cut our heating/cooling bills in half. Won't take long to recover costs. I might add, two inches of spray foam insulation along with regular R-24 batts helps too! biggrin.gif

Thanks DW. The HVAC guy spec'd in a Carrier 96% furnace, 3 zones, line voltage stat for exhaust system, upgraded thermostats (maybe Nest?) and slot diffusers. I have some questions for the HVAC guy so need to call him this week. Supplies will be up front near the screen with returns in the rear. From a noise perspective do not want more than 250 FPM through a slotted or bar type diffusor. Still need to specify larger ducts and larger diffusors as well.
post #69 of 1122 Old 12-04-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Working on the lighting in the theater and how to zone it. Open to suggestions. In the design below I have 14 can lights in the soffit which is built out 2' from the walls. If you look closely at the drawing below I drew circles below representing the 14 can lights and then entered a number in each light for the zone. This isn't the exact locations but approximate for equal spacing between the columns. Initial thoughts for the 14 lights is to break it down to 3 zones - one for the front (5 lights), one for the two rows of chairs (4 lights) and one for the rear (5 lights). Plan to use these lights: http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-4-in-9-5-Watt-65W-Soft-White-2700K-LED-Downlight-E-ECO4-575L/202899613#.Up_AppTSM1d

post #70 of 1122 Old 12-04-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Working on the lighting in the theater and how to zone it. Open to suggestions. In the design below I have 14 can lights in the soffit which is built out 2' from the walls. If you look closely at the drawing below I drew circles below representing the 14 can lights and then entered a number in each light for the zone. This isn't the exact locations but approximate for equal spacing between the columns. Initial thoughts for the 14 lights is to break it down to 3 zones - one for the front (5 lights), one for the two rows of chairs (4 lights) and one for the rear (5 lights). Plan to use these lights: http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-4-in-9-5-Watt-65W-Soft-White-2700K-LED-Downlight-E-ECO4-575L/202899613#.Up_AppTSM1d

Your room is bigger than mine in length and I have 11-4" cans. Seems your numbers on cans are right on cue. For me, I wanted balance and went with 8-100 watt sconces on walls. More than enough light to read comfortably.

Had a hard time finding sconces as I'm very picky..............I lean toward rustic lodge look which is hard decor to find. After 6-7 months of searching, my wife found something to my liking ....ie. simple, rustic, dimmable and puts out a ton of light. Having sconces around room is helpful and shadow effect is not evident with wall sconces.

Just throwing idea out there.....
post #71 of 1122 Old 12-11-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update - getting close to start framing in the home theater. I wrapped up discussions with the electrician for the most part and still working out details with HVAC. Hopefully the HVAC guys finalize the design because it's damn cold here in Iowa :-).

Got the quote for the stairs & aisle lighting from Celestial lighting so I will order that soon.

Received some Insteon equipment but after designing the electrical plan for the entire house I had to order more 2477D's. The 2477D was also given to all my family members as Christmas gift ideas. smile.gif

Working with Hollywood Marquees on the design of the theater sign. BTW, they are great to work with. Here's a peek at the almost final product which incorporates some aspects of my inspiration - the old abandoned theater from my hometown. Also working on a custom poster lightbox with them.

thrillcat likes this.
post #72 of 1122 Old 12-11-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Excellent!

So I talked to my son at ISU, I think it is colder there :-)

The Marquee artwork looks very nice! So where is your hometown, ( or if you prefer, which state is that photo from )?

Exciting and busy times for you, I'm subscribed and along for the ride ...

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #73 of 1122 Old 12-13-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A little progress on framing in the theater:

Picture toward the rear of the theater and the equipment room in the back. They framed the door too low so that will have to be redone given the 2' riser.

Picture of the outside wall and covered with 2" foam on the concrete portion

Picture toward the front (screen wall) with the double wall on the interior

post #74 of 1122 Old 12-13-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks great!
And I'm thinking you didn't even break a sweat biggrin.gif

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #75 of 1122 Old 12-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Looks good but...where's all the construction debris?? Way too clean...rolleyes.giftongue.gif
post #76 of 1122 Old 12-14-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Looks good but...where's all the construction debris?? Way too clean...rolleyes.giftongue.gif
I didn't take a picture of the adjacent room which is a disaster :-)
post #77 of 1122 Old 12-18-2013, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If anyone is interested I'm selling the following equipment.

Epson 8350
Carada 118" BW Criterion 16x9 screen
Pair of Axiom QS8's

If interested let me know. Ready to make some deals. All equipment works great.
post #78 of 1122 Old 12-18-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 468
What are screen dimmensions? Is that 118 diagonal or 118 wide?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #79 of 1122 Old 12-18-2013, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #80 of 1122 Old 12-18-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If anyone is interested I'm selling the following equipment.

Epson 8350
Carada 118" BW Criterion 16x9 screen
Pair of Axiom QS8's

If interested let me know. Ready to make some deals. All equipment works great.

By chance; are those QS8s black?

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #81 of 1122 Old 12-18-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #82 of 1122 Old 12-20-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally finalized all the HVAC plans today. I only exchanged 153 emails with the HVAC engineer and equipment guy over the last 24 hours to nail this down. :-) The HVAC engineer ran all the necessary Manual J & D load calculations and we came up with the following. Why do I always feel like I overdo things? Thank the Lord I didn't buy the Sony projector.

These were the general requirements:

1. Chief concern is sound going through the duct to areas outside the theater and sound coming into the theater through the outside unit. Target noise level of NC22 or less with the system fully operational - so decouple/isolate the HVAC system itself. Use of nylon duct straps is recommended.

2. Flex duct should transition to a double-sided rigid collar when making penetrations through the soundproof shell and then transition back to flex, if appropriate, bar diffusers FPM of less than 250 will be dictated by the size of the bar diffuser used. For a standard 6" flex duct, 4" x 24" bar diffusers will be adequate, (less than 250 fpm), oversized return air duct to reduce air turbulence. To keep diffusers from creating a lot of air flow noise, it’s critical we do not have more than 250 FPM through a slotted or bar type diffuser.

3. 6 air changes per hour and 15 cfm of fresh air per person. Seating for 7 people.

4. RH between 40-50%.

5. Ability to cool the room in the winter. Normal thermal loss calculations don't apply to home theaters that are sealed up tightly. Take into account lighting, people and projector heat loads

6. Returns are high mounted (ceiling) and to the rear of the room Would recommend outside corners, not directly behind the seating. Noise transmission in the returns should never exceed the noise from the supplies and the system must be designed this way. Supplies are in the front of the room, high mounted (ceiling) and not near the screen. Or if placed near the screen they should have a 15 degree angle to divert air flow away from the screen. Diffusers should be Lenticular, slotted or bar type pointed away from seating areas to avoid drafts. Keep dampers as far away from registers as possible.

7. Adequate heating/cooling for equipment room area.

8. Home theater thermostat will be located in the equipment room so we will need to utilize a wired remote sensor.

Spec'd the following equipment:

The Carrier Infinity system gives a lot of control over air flow, temp and humidity and since both the furnace and AC unit are both dual stage I can utilize the low stage for air flow into the theater room.

Three zones - 1. Theater 2. Upstairs 3. Room above garage
Carrier Infinity two stage AC unit - quiet, better dehumidification and low flow will allow me to keep noise to a minimum at the required 250 FPM
Carrier Infinity multi-stage, variable speed blower 96% furnace - quiet and variable speed fan is desirable for the theater to minimize noise
Infinity zone system
Carrier steam humidifier - works with Infinity system so temp and humidity can be controlled with a touch of a button
Pre-plumbed for an ERV to install later - dedicated for theater if I can't get the air exchanges I need
Exhaust fan and thermostat for equipment room
Bar diffusers for supplies and returns
post #83 of 1122 Old 12-20-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Framing Update:

Some walls were framed with IB3 clips and just started framing the soffit. Plumbers & HVAC guys working now. Electrician coming in next week or the week after I hope.

post #84 of 1122 Old 12-20-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The marquee arrived today! Pic from my phone...

nickbuol and TMcG like this.
post #85 of 1122 Old 12-21-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Today was a fun day. My son and I drove to Wisconsin to pick up the JTR speakers and swung by the Cinemar Home Theater to check it out. The Cinemar visit was a last minute deal....I remembered he lived in Wisconsin but thought it was much further north than what it was. I'm glad I looked it up last night and saw that he lived just an hour from Jeff. It was great to see the "model" theater in person and get a sense of the spacing more than anything. How the risers line up with the screen, the height of the stage, the height of the risers and the space around the chairs. Sure, you can read about it all day long in the thread but seeing it in person is much better. Thank you Mario for the tour!

On the way home picked up the JTR speakers. Also got a sneak peak at the 210 prototype!! eek.gif

All packed up...1 box in the cab.

carp likes this.
post #86 of 1122 Old 12-22-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Sounds like a fun father/son trip!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #87 of 1122 Old 12-22-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I updated the top view drawing in the initial thread. I expanded the speaker "nook" in the back of the room so I could put more subs or MBM's back there at a future data if I need to. I will also have 6" of space between the fabric and the "wall" in the back. If I end placing all the speakers behind the screen then I will stuff the nook full of insulation. 4" of space between the fabric and the drywall on the side walls.

Also, my builder told me Friday that it may be April/early May before the house is complete. Yuck....

I need somewhere to store my JTR speakers for a couple months...anyone have any ideas? :-)
post #88 of 1122 Old 12-22-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

DL,

You could have dropped them off for storage at my place on your way home. Heck; I would have even been willing to give them a free 4mo break in for you ;-)

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #89 of 1122 Old 12-23-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Today was a fun day. My son and I drove to Wisconsin to pick up the JTR speakers and swung by the Cinemar Home Theater to check it out. The Cinemar visit was a last minute deal....I remembered he lived in Wisconsin but thought it was much further north than what it was. I'm glad I looked it up last night and saw that he lived just an hour from Jeff. It was great to see the "model" theater in person and get a sense of the spacing more than anything. How the risers line up with the screen, the height of the stage, the height of the risers and the space around the chairs. Sure, you can read about it all day long in the thread but seeing it in person is much better. Thank you Mario for the tour!

On the way home picked up the JTR speakers. Also got a sneak peak at the 210 prototype!! eek.gif

All packed up...1 box in the cab.

I'm glad you and your son were able to make it on your way to JTR. It's good that you were able to learn a few things about the space that might help you improve your theater and/or reaffirm your self in some cases.

That's some precious cargo you were transporting. Glad you made it home safely. One of these days I should may my way over to JTR since they are so close. Do they have a demo room?
post #90 of 1122 Old 12-23-2013, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes he does. Just tell him that you want three 212's and a couple orbit shifters hooked up and then have him play the shoot out from Open Range. After that, I promise you will order some JTR's some day :-).
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page