The Savoy - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1168 Old 08-05-2014, 11:50 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 279
A bit pricey, but I've always liked the sound quality and durability of the Sonance Mariner (medium) series and (gulp!) BOSE 251 speakers.

If you're looking for a great landscape rock speaker, the RBH Acoustics R8 just pounds for its size with great bass. Each speaker takes a full 16/4, FYI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1168 Old 08-05-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...29&camp=211189

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the...door-speakers/

The yamaha they recommend is also good. I have a pair at they sound good and go loud. I also have POLK atrium45's (not bad) and Infinity Outrigger (very good) and a pair of Jensen (really crappy) all running in 8 outdoor zones.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1143 of 1168 Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Does anyone have a good recommendation for outdoor speakers? Iowa weather - can remove in winter - SPL more important than a good FR curve.

Thanks.
I bet those Macke's that Jonathan bought would be fine outside. 200 each normal price and 120 on sale. Crazy value, I mean really.
If I were you that's what I would do. They are loud and sound really good too. Only downside is they are pretty big if that's an issue.
post #1144 of 1168 Old 08-05-2014, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I bought from outdoor speaker depot and it's warranted some neighbor complaints. Good full range sound. I got the ap840s
post #1145 of 1168 Old 08-05-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
well I have managed to kill the whole day reading through this build. Awesome job! Attending the GTG would have definitely have cost me more than I am ready to spend on my own project. Thanks for detailing your build
post #1146 of 1168 Old 08-05-2014, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Thanks for the great tips on outdoor speakers guys and "24Changer" sorry about getting sucked into this thread. I've done that way too often and some of the build threads I have read more than once, twice, etc.

And yes, they all end up being very expensive reads.
post #1147 of 1168 Old 08-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I bet those Macke's that Jonathan bought would be fine outside. 200 each normal price and 120 on sale. Crazy value, I mean really.
If I were you that's what I would do. They are loud and sound really good too. Only downside is they are pretty big if that's an issue.
JBL CBT 70J http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/i...eries/cbt70j-1 (think I already mentioned that one David)

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #1148 of 1168 Old 08-07-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Unrelated to home theater but I'm short 1 team for my Fantasy football league. If interested and you can drive to Central Iowa on a Sunday in late August, let me know.

$25 buy-in
post #1149 of 1168 Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm interested but live in California One of leagues looks like it's a no-go this year... If you want virtual attendance I'm in!
post #1150 of 1168 Old 08-10-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since I enjoyed Metallica's Through the Never so much I decided I decided to buy a couple more concert blu-rays. Sticking with the 80's hair bands, I bought Def Leppard Viva Hysteria from Vegas. And even though it seems Elliot has lost a little in the vocals the guitars and drums sounded great. The drums didn't hit as hard as the drums on Through the Never but still good nonetheless. The PQ was also really good. Although it wasn't as good as Through the Never it was still entertaining for someone that has heard the Hysteria album hundreds of times over the 27 years.

The other concert I bought was Chris Botti in Boston and although it was in a totally different genre the audio quality was top notch. Not sure how many times I will watch it but the different instruments and different vocals made it a pretty good demo disc.
post #1151 of 1168 Old 08-10-2014, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One more thing to share....movie night with the family night and the kids picked out the animated Tarzan that was released last year (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1705952/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1). I looked it up in IMDB and the reviews were terrible but holy cow...impressive bass and even more impressive use of the surrounds. So if you're kids decide to pick this movie, don't be too upset.

At least the first 15 minutes have been impressive....
post #1152 of 1168 Old 08-11-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 86
What did you think of the rest of the movie?
post #1153 of 1168 Old 08-11-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
One more thing to share....movie night with the family night and the kids picked out the animated Tarzan that was released last year (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1705952/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1). I looked it up in IMDB and the reviews were terrible but holy cow...impressive bass and even more impressive use of the surrounds. So if you're kids decide to pick this movie, don't be too upset.

At least the first 15 minutes have been impressive....
I picked up an Avenger's cartoon blu ray that had two one hr long sessions on it. The bass and surround effects were just amazing! I feel there are a lot of movies that the sound track mixes seem like they are trying to avoid any real surround content. Bass sometimes too. Like the movie Dallas Buyers club. I tried it from red box not knowing what it was about. Obviously it was a different movie and probably wouldn't have noticed if you had only the center channel on, no subs, no surrounds. Now I know a movie like this or one like J. Edgar Hoover are heavily quieter scenes and such but there are still opportunities. Like in Dallas buyers club in the beginning. There is a bull riding scene where he jumps up and pats the rider on the shoulder or encourages him for money. The gate is released and off goes the bull and no bass, just anemic sound...J. Edgar had a police raid scene...

Perhaps it's part of the style of movie to not mix in bass slams and surround effects. That is my only guess that the director or whoever doesn't want those bass and or surround content in there because they are trying to capture a "mood" or "feeling."
post #1154 of 1168 Old 08-11-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
What did you think of the rest of the movie?
It's not a movie that will make my top 100 but the guys doing the mixing definitely put some effort into the surrounds. Obviously the movie takes place in the jungle and they did a great job with creating the jungle ambiance.
post #1155 of 1168 Old 08-11-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One thing I've never experienced is gaming on a large screen. Yesterday I decided to download Steam on my HTPC and decided to download a game to test it out. Not being much of a gamer besides the Legend of Zelda back on SNES and Tecmo Bowl in college I was in for a big surprise playing The Need for Speed on a 148" wide screen. Unfortunately I could only play for about 10 minutes but it was pretty amazing. Can't wait to dive in a little deeper. Obviouy new to all this but Steam looks like a pretty cool service.
post #1156 of 1168 Old 08-11-2014, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Not being much of a gamer besides the Legend of Zelda back on SNES and Tecmo Bowl in college
I think I finally have all the pieces to connect my Atari 2600 up in the theater. I can't wait!
Attached Images
File Type: png pitfall.png (2.4 KB, 12 views)
CinemaAndy likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #1157 of 1168 Old 08-11-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
I think I finally have all the pieces to connect my Atari 2600 up in the theater. I can't wait!
I'll be over
post #1158 of 1168 Old 08-11-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I'll be over
Anytime!

post #1159 of 1168 Old 08-11-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
One thing I've never experienced is gaming on a large screen. Yesterday I decided to download Steam on my HTPC and decided to download a game to test it out. Not being much of a gamer besides the Legend of Zelda back on SNES and Tecmo Bowl in college I was in for a big surprise playing The Need for Speed on a 148" wide screen. Unfortunately I could only play for about 10 minutes but it was pretty amazing. Can't wait to dive in a little deeper. Obviouy new to all this but Steam looks like a pretty cool service.
Do they have games in 2:35:1? That would be awesome!!
post #1160 of 1168 Old 08-11-2014, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The racing game that I played filled my whole screen but I assume JRiver was making it fit widescreen.
carp likes this.
post #1161 of 1168 Old 08-11-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Yes! I am looking forward to racing games on a big screen.

I do have a question for you. I have been doing some research on the Sony 55ES. I am curious if the "reality creation" setting gives that "soap opera" look like some LCD TV's do? My brother had a top line Samsung TV and while watching the newest Bourne movie it was quite distracting. I have a decent Panasonic plasma that looks great and doesn't have that effect. I don't know what it is that makes some displays look that way. I read the reality creation has an effect similar to the darbee video processing. Which I know doesn't have the soap opera effect since I have the 103D Oppo player with the darbee built in. Just sharpens up the image and gives depth as I am sure you know Anmyway the 55ES is in a commanding lead in the early research stages. Also considering the Panny 8000, JVCRS45 PJ's as well. Also you had some pictures of your screen in action yes? I haven't discovered a way to look at thread images yet so I will have to do some searching...
post #1162 of 1168 Old 08-12-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Nice! My sister stole my NES from my parents a few years ago. I need to see where that thing made off to!
post #1163 of 1168 Old 08-12-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Have I mentioned this this one of my favorite builds! All the information in this thread is a huge resource to the community!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #1164 of 1168 Old 08-12-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Nice! My sister stole my NES from my parents a few years ago. I need to see where that thing made off to!
I locked in my parents' old DVD/VHS deck, which should have coax in and HDMI out - I hope! I don't have my hands on it yet, but hope to soon. Then a quick trip to Radio Shack to get the requisite bare wire to coax adapter and I think I'm set!

post #1165 of 1168 Old 08-12-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Have I mentioned this this one of my favorite builds! All the information in this thread is a huge resource to the community!
I don't know about ALL the information in this thread. Some dork was talking about On Golden Pond a few pages back.
dgage likes this.

post #1166 of 1168 Old 08-12-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
A lot of PC games let you play to any resolution setup in the video card's control panel. See 2.35:1 PC Gaming for some picture of 2:36 gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck
The racing game that I played filled my whole screen but I assume JRiver was making it fit widescreen.
JRiver doesn't touch or process the video from other applications. You were stretching the image with your lens. Usually one needs to make a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel for 2:35.

We need to set your gaming zone in JRiver so that you are utilizing all of your speakers and subs. It won't add any latency when using the crossovers and routing in JRiver's DSP. Some games might also allow you to use 9.1 so that the front side and rear side surrounds have separate sound. Game sound engines are similar to using Atmos or Auro. They can scale the sound to the number of channels you have available.

To add Steam to JRiver's Theater View:
Go to Tools > Options > Theater View
Add an External Program
Name field: Steam
Program field: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe
Command Line Arguments: -bigpicture
carp likes this.
post #1167 of 1168 Old 08-12-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
I don't know about ALL the information in this thread. Some dork was talking about On Golden Pond a few pages back.
Haha! Very good, sir! I suppose I should have said the "amount" of information.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #1168 of 1168 Old 08-12-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Haha! Very good, sir! I suppose I should have said the "amount" of information.
Goes along with some jackass saying that National Lampoons Christmas Vacation is the standard by which to compare all movies wrt audio and picture quality.
thrillcat likes this.
post #1169 of 1168 Old 08-27-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page