post #1171 of 1187 Old 09-01-2014, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Here you go Vince
David, thanks I hope I can cross reference those part numbers to a fabric grade.

Vince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1187 Old 09-01-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
David, thanks...I hope I can cross reference sku # to fabric grade
Vince
post #1173 of 1187 Old 09-01-2014, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 156
NFM should be able to do that for you. I don't know what grade it is but you should be able to find out. Good luck
post #1174 of 1187 Old 09-14-2014, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was fortunate enough to attend my first CEDIA this year thanks to TMcG. I spent a lot of time with him, KNKNK & BrolicBeast in Denver and got to know them a lot better...great bunch of guys. Other highlights for me was finally meeting Nyal Mellor (who did the acoustic design on the Savoy) and Scott Wilkinson who I've listened to on various podcasts for years. A big thanks to Scott Wilkinson for the the exclusive Dolby Atmos demo on Thursday night.

At least for your first time there, CEDIA is an AVS member's dream. Speakers, projectors, pre/pros, TV's and AV gadgets everywhere. I am so glad I finished my theater before going to CEDIA because the price tag on the Savoy could have been much higher.

My favorite audio demo was the Auro 3D demo. Mfusick has stated it was everyone's favorite because of the room and that may be the case (they had a much larger, dedicated room than all the other Atmos demos at the show - at least that I heard). However, the height layer really added an enveloping surround experience that I didn't quite get from the Atmos demos. Now I just hope DesertDome can work some magic to get the Auro upmixing plugin for JRiver.

My favorite video demo was the 77" LG 4K OLED. Holy cow...an absolute gorgeous screen - simply the most beautiful image I have every seen.

If money was no object I would certainly love to have the DPI Insight 4K LED projector that fills the Rec2020 color space - it's only $150K. Along those same lines, would love to have a pair of the Focal Grande Utopia EM speakers - only $200K. Pics below of both.

Overall the best part of CEDIA was just hanging out with a bunch of guys that have the same passion about AV equipment as I do - TMcG, KNKKNK, BrolicBeast, ecrabb, Chris Seymour, Mark Seaton, Nyal Mellor, Scott Wilkinson, Jeff Parkinson, Scott Simonian, Mfusick, 7channelfreak and Randy Bessinger. Being surrounded by awesome gear was just a bonus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4112.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	262346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4104.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	262354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4126.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	262362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4129.JPG
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	262370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4134.JPG
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	262378  

Name:	IMG_4157.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	262386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4137.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	262394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4138.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	262402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4136.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	262410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4155.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	262418  

Name:	IMG_4114.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	262426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4123.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	262434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4118.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	262442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4113.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	262450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4101.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	262458  

carp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1175 of 1187 Old 09-14-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Crap, I was there, just for Thursday, and I completely missed the Auro demo. I saw/heard so much, but I should have paid closer attention to there being an Auro demo just to compare it to the many different qualities/levels of Atmos demos that I heard.

My theater is nowhere on par with yours, and I have a ceiling height limit of about 7'9" which would make Atmos and Auro probably about the same in my room since the difference between the 2 layers of Atmos and 3 layers of Auro wouldn't be much.

Oh well, I can't afford either at this point, so it just means CEDIA 2015 will be on my list.
Mfusick likes this.

- Nick Buol

post #1176 of 1187 Old 09-14-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Pardon my ignorance but what is Auro? Is it DTS's version of Atmos?

post #1177 of 1187 Old 09-14-2014, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just another, less popular, new surround format created by Auro Technologies that adds the height layer into the audio experience. Similar to Atmos and I'm sure it will be similar to the DTS version that will be released next year. Unfortunately, the format doesn't have and probably won't have the support of the major studios since I'm sure they will stick with Dolby and DTS. Why add a 3rd unless consumer demand is crazy high?

post #1178 of 1187 Old 09-14-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
I was fortunate enough to attend my first CEDIA this year thanks to TMcG. I spent a lot of time with him, KNKNK & BrolicBeast in Denver and got to know them a lot better...great bunch of guys. Other highlights for me was finally meeting Nyal Mellor (who did the acoustic design on the Savoy) and Scott Wilkinson who I've listened to on various podcasts for years. A big thanks to Scott Wilkinson for the the exclusive Dolby Atmos demo on Thursday night.

At least for your first time there, CEDIA is an AVS member's dream. Speakers, projectors, pre/pros, TV's and AV gadgets everywhere. I am so glad I finished my theater before going to CEDIA because the price tag on the Savoy could have been much higher.

My favorite audio demo was the Auro 3D demo. Mfusick has stated it was everyone's favorite because of the room and that may be the case (they had a much larger, dedicated room than all the other Atmos demos at the show - at least that I heard). However, the height layer really added an enveloping surround experience that I didn't quite get from the Atmos demos. Now I just hope DesertDome can work some magic to get the Auro upmixing plugin for JRiver.

My favorite video demo was the 77" LG 4K OLED. Holy cow...an absolute gorgeous screen - simply the most beautiful image I have every seen.

If money was no object I would certainly love to have the DPI Insight 4K LED projector that fills the Rec2020 color space - it's only $150K. Along those same lines, would love to have a pair of the Focal Grande Utopia EM speakers - only $200K. Pics below of both.

Overall the best part of CEDIA was just hanging out with a bunch of guys that have the same passion about AV equipment as I do - TMcG, KNKKNK, BrolicBeast, ecrabb, Chris Seymour, Mark Seaton, Nyal Mellor, Scott Wilkinson, Jeff Parkinson, Scott Simonian, Mfusick, 7channelfreak and Randy Bessinger. Being surrounded by awesome gear was just a bonus
I would so love to see the 4K OLED. I am sure they'll bring it to my country soon anyways... fingers crossed. Not that I'll ever be able to afford it... at least not for the next 5 years until 4K OLED comes down to the price of regular LED tvs...

And I would really, really love to have seen the DPI projector. Read about it...

I wonder why don't they just go ahead and come up with a projector or format that includes the entire human eye range instead of these baby steps... To me, the format is important. They should include a 'retina color' range to the new 4K Blu Ray format. And then just wait for players to catch up.. so, the format don't have to keep changing... it doesn't matter if players or hardware can't display all the full range, but as long as we record them in full range, they can be enjoyed when hardware does catch up...

As for the Grande Utopia, I had a chance to listen to a pair 3 years back. They were really nice indeed. However, I must say, i don't really have any urge to get them even if i had the money. I still maintain i enjoy my 212s/dual sub combo better. Probably because of the dynamics and efficiency. I don't think the Grande Utopia can play at the spirited levels i like...

Still, jealous of you guys who live in the US.. tons of cool trade shows to go to.. and GTGs..

post #1179 of 1187 Old 09-14-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW: did you have a chance to see these projectors:

Sony 600ES / 300ES
Epson LS 10000 (their newest pseudo 4k laser projector).

and if you did, how do you rate them, from best to lest best... and how do they compare to the DPI projector

post #1180 of 1187 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I would absolutely LOVE to go to CEDIA. I could never justify it, but I think it'd be a blast.

------

post #1181 of 1187 Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Sony 600ES / 300ES

and if you did, how do you rate them, from best to lest best... and how do they compare to the DPI projector
The LS 1000 was there and there is some obvious benefits to the laser tech, also the 4k enhancement or the ability to display 1080p was impressive. $8000 for a non 4K though... makes me wonder. You can get 98% of it with the 6030 for $3500 (which is quite the projector at that price) including 3D glasses, mount, extra bulb all included in the box.

The Sony demo had dual stacked projectors on a 220" screen so it's hard to compare. I did think the JVC all looked good too (although the cheap guy in me would get the Epson)

None could touch that Christie though

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1182 of 1187 Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what is Auro? Is it DTS's version of Atmos?
It's a 3D based surround format that uses height speakers (lots of them) to being extra excitement and realism to the surround sound experience. It includes a second layer of speakers higher up, and even a speaker over head (the voice of GOD channel)

http://www.auro-3d.com/

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1183 of 1187 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Crap, I was there, just for Thursday, and I completely missed the Auro demo. I saw/heard so much, but I should have paid closer attention to there being an Auro demo just to compare it to the many different qualities/levels of Atmos demos that I heard.

My theater is nowhere on par with yours, and I have a ceiling height limit of about 7'9" which would make Atmos and Auro probably about the same in my room since the difference between the 2 layers of Atmos and 3 layers of Auro wouldn't be much.

Oh well, I can't afford either at this point, so it just means CEDIA 2015 will be on my list.
Did you get the JBL demo ?

I'm sorry I missed you. I got your text just as I had left thursday night. I was there Wed thru Saturday and it was the perfect amount of time IMO. I never rushed and feel like I saw everything I wanted. I'm not sure you could take it all in with just one day, and if you did it's brain overload.

-

post #1184 of 1187 Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Sony 600ES / 300ES

I did. It's hard to judge the Sony 600 since they had it double stacked on a 220" screen. They also mentioned that they now made it possible to quad-stack the Sony 4K projectors! WTF? Who would do this??? lol

The Epson was the first projector that I saw and I was very impressed. This was one of the more entertaining demos as the Epson engineer that took us through the demo was a little edgy, with a dry sense of humor. But he did give a great overview of the technology and what the Laser technology meant for the projector industry. It was pretty funny that as soon as he wrapped up his talk, a guy in the crowd asked how long the bulb lasts....funny stuff. I'm sure I ask my share of stupid questions (right DD?) but it was great timing after he talked about the laser technology the whole time.

However, the Epson was impressive...great blacks, good color and great brightness levels for 1500 lumens.

BUT, I'm not sure if I would go with the Epson at this point being a non-4K projector and with a couple good options from DPI and Lumis near that price point. Things to consider.

Last edited by dlbeck; Yesterday at 06:04 PM.
post #1185 of 1187 Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And btw KNKKNK, I told your Kermit the frog joke to several people and they loved it.
post #1186 of 1187 Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
And btw KNKKNK, I told your Kermit the frog joke to several people and they loved it.
Ok I'll bite. What's the joke ?
post #1187 of 1187 Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
The LS 1000 was there and there is some obvious benefits to the laser tech, also the 4k enhancement or the ability to display 1080p was impressive. $8000 for a non 4K though... makes me wonder. You can get 98% of it with the 6030 for $3500 (which is quite the projector at that price) including 3D glasses, mount, extra bulb all included in the box.

The Sony demo had dual stacked projectors on a 220" screen so it's hard to compare. I did think the JVC all looked good too (although the cheap guy in me would get the Epson)

None could touch that Christie though
Quote:
I did. It's hard to judge the Sony 600 since they had it double stacked on a 220" screen. They also mentioned that they now made it possible to quad-stack the Sony 4K projectors! WTF? Who would do this??? lol

The Epson was the first projector that I saw and I was very impressed. This was one of the more entertaining demos as the Epson engineer that took us through the demo was a little edgy, with a dry sense of humor. But he did give a great overview of the technology and what the Laser technology meant for the projector industry. It was pretty funny that as soon as he wrapped up his talk, a guy in the crowd asked how long the bulb lasts....funny stuff. I'm sure I ask my share of stupid questions (right DD?) but it was great timing after he talked about the laser technology the whole time.

However, the Epson was impressive...great blacks, good color and great brightness levels for 1500 lumens.

BUT, I'm not sure if I would go with the Epson at this point being a non-4K projector and with a couple good options from DPI and Lumis near that price point. Things to consider.
Thanks..

I have to agree with both your assessments though... for 8K, it's a bit much for a quasi 4k projector when you can get the full 4K 600ES or 300ES from Sony for the same or lower price.

(BTW: I can get the 600ES here for $8K already, and I bet the 300ES could go as low as $5K)

To me, the Sony 600ES is, to date, the best home theater projector I have ever seen, PQ wise (even for up-scaled blu-rays). That's why I wanted to know if the new Epson could challenge it in terms of upscaled Blu-Ray... but you're right again, the price point is not very good. If it was $4K then it'll be a real contender.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page