The Savoy - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 148Likes

Old 01-13-2016, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Where's the love for your KC brethren? We want to see it too!

@carp , @MrSmithers , @stitch1 , @Randy Bessinger , @Luke Kamp ,
Time for a road trip!
You guys are welcome up anytime. If you can get a car full head up and weekend. Just tell me when.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Beautiful setup you have there sir!

I was curious if you had tried using your new JVC projector with the Panamorph and if there was any noticeable difference between using the A-Lens and zooming with e-shift?

I'm trying to decide if I should budget for a higher end projector or a mid-range one with an A-Lens.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2016, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoneyBadger View Post
Beautiful setup you have there sir!

I was curious if you had tried using your new JVC projector with the Panamorph and if there was any noticeable difference between using the A-Lens and zooming with e-shift?

I'm trying to decide if I should budget for a higher end projector or a mid-range one with an A-Lens.

Thanks
Hey Honey Badger - I did not try the a-lens with the JVC. I don't think you will need it. Initially with the Sony I went with it to maximize my brightness but with a 148" wide 2.37 screen. The JVC is plenty bright so far....time will tell as the lens ages. @desertdome sent me an article how A-lens actually only increases your effective brightness by 2%. Can't remember the link but maybe DD will chime in.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I don't know the number, but a modest gain sounds about right. You gain a bunch of light using the whole panel, but you lose a bunch again going through another big chunk of glass.

I'm excited to hear you're thrilled with the brightness on your screen. I guess I won't obsess too much over whether I can go to a 138-inch screen vs staying at 132!

SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post
I don't know the number, but a modest gain sounds about right. You gain a bunch of light using the whole panel, but you lose a bunch again going through another big chunk of glass.

SC
You don't lose much light going through an A lens - I measured around 100 lux at the screen with no lens, and with a Prsimasonic lens in place, in pass through mode (image still covering the same area), I measured 99 lux, so around 1% difference for the glass. When you spread the image 33% wider, you will then get a loss of image brightness because you're spreading the lumens over a larger area, just like zooming does, except you're only doing it in the horizontal plane.

Zooming vs lens depends on where in the zoom rage you are - when you zoom an image larger using the pjs prime lens, you spread the lumens over a larger area, so the image becomes dimmer, but also what happens is the F-stop of the lens will increase the lumens as well, so you may not lose as much light through zooming as is often suggested. In some cases, the difference between a lens and zooming from an image brightness perspective is minimal, and not enough for it to be a factor.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
desertdome sent me an article how A-lens actually only increases your effective brightness by 2%. Can't remember the link but maybe DD will chime in.
This is the article: 2:35 Constant Image Height - Lens vs Zoom

Quote:
The first set of results are in. A calibrated 2.39 image via the anamorphic lens delivers a measly 1.4% more light output to the screen. This first test came from a JVC projector on the same screen and same viewing conditions. The lens used was a $6000 Schneider lens. This 1.4% difference cannot be seen by the human eye. It is like going from 100 light bulbs in a room to 98 bulbs.

The second set of results are in; this time with the Epson and a Panamorph system. The difference this time is 9% in favor of the Panamorph lens versus the zoom memory on the same projector. This is more than on the JVC, but still below the visible threshold. The eyes are simply not sensitive to this type of difference. The human eye can readily detect light output changes closer to a 30% difference. They cannot see this type of difference in light output performance. But the difference between a 720p image and a 1080p image is easier to see given normal viewing distances.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator
- Advanced Audio Optimization
Old 01-27-2016, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Excellent, thanks for the info guys. My money will go towards a better PJ now!
Old 01-28-2016, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 146
A friend of mine had an ISCO II lens, and when he upgraded his JVC to a newer one with eshift (RS49), he compared the image with the A lens to the eshifted image, and couldn't tell the difference, so he sold the lens. With standard 1080, the main difference is the increase in pixel density the lens gives you (using around 500,000 more pixels to render the image). Most people buy a lens for the increase in image quality that it gives over zooming.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a