The Beast, Unleashed - Page 196 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1973Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5851 of 5895 Old 10-03-2017, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
DougUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Yeah man, I paid for the license way back, and I was thinking to myself: "I have, sitting unused, something that can get me 88.06301% of what I'd get with Kaleidescape, sitting in my equipment room serving as a glorified network hard drive. It took some digging to find my IR-to-USB dongle in the rubble of the 2014 move, (hadn't needed the dongle since 2012, when I made the shift to iRule, and with it, IP control of JRiver). Also took some effort to find the right codes in the Harmony Software, but I'm now as functional as I was in the video above. I'm still on MC20, so I expect even more functionality once I upgrade to MC23. One of the best parts is being able to set playlists for movie nights, so I can download trailers and have them play before the movie. Truly a Cinema experience.
I've been looking at Synology's rack-mount 4-bay NAS on Amazon. Seems to fit the bill perfectly. Will probably stuff them with four 10TB disc drives, as redundancy is not an option and definitely need to maximize storage.
I've never played with JRiver, what could it do for me that Kodi doesn't? Since my started crashing randomly, I'm considering using that as an excuse to rebuild my own HTPC (Pentium i9?? Yes PLEASE!), and considered switching

No redundancy?? Am I the only one that occasionally wakes from a dead sleep, drenched w/sweat, after nightmares where I have to re-rip all 450+ DVDs and BluRays on the HDD??
DougUSMC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5852 of 5895 Old 10-03-2017, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 4,724
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
I've never played with JRiver, what could it do for me that Kodi doesn't? Since my started crashing randomly, I'm considering using that as an excuse to rebuild my own HTPC (Pentium i9?? Yes PLEASE!), and considered switching

No redundancy?? Am I the only one that occasionally wakes from a dead sleep, drenched w/sweat, after nightmares where I have to re-rip all 450+ DVDs and BluRays on the HDD??

hahahaha that's a typing error on my part! I meant LACK of redundancy is not an option. lolol. I'm really missing my old HTPC--I had four BD-RW drives stacked in the front bays, and could import four discs at a time. Now, I'm slugging along with the HTPC that replaced that one when it crashed....no optical drive (drive died), so I'm using a single USB BD-RW drive to do my imports. Painfully slow. Painfully.


If you're going to do a new build, let me know....I'm so out of the market...I haven't been keeping up with what's new. Just hearing i9 made me giggle...it's time to get back into this game! A buddy of mine has a monster rig--ten (TEN) GTX 1080i's.....built for essentially supercomputing for mining bitcoin. Made me feel like a novice after seeing that rig. Took up an entire 30RU rack. Had me wondering "what am I really doing with my life?"


Edit: Just realized I did not answer a very important question in your above post. JRiver is if you're into high-end audio and video playback. It has some really good video processing (Red October), and even has parametric EQ built into the software. I'd say Kodi is a solution for a more general audience (my buddy who doesn't know what Atmos is runs a Kodi box in each room in his house), while JRiver is for the purists among us. Wildly customizable.
MIkeDuke likes this.

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 10-03-2017 at 10:57 AM.
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #5853 of 5895 Old 10-03-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 7,029
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
I've never played with JRiver, what could it do for me that Kodi doesn't? Since my started crashing randomly, I'm considering using that as an excuse to rebuild my own HTPC (Pentium i9?? Yes PLEASE!), and considered switching

No redundancy?? Am I the only one that occasionally wakes from a dead sleep, drenched w/sweat, after nightmares where I have to re-rip all 450+ DVDs and BluRays on the HDD??



I will take the second part first. NO YOU ARE NOT. I had a drive go bad, took it out, swapped in a new one and a few hours later I was good as new.

As far as Kodi goes, I have a friend who has it and loves it. But I used Jriver from the start and love it. I know you have to pay for it where as Kodi you don't, I think. They probably look different in the interface. The naming convention may be different for TV shows. But I downloaded Kodi and did not like the UI at all. I really like Jriver more. But I guess it's what you get used to. I am pretty sure you can still download Jriver and play with it for a month before you have to pay for it.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
 
post #5854 of 5895 Old 10-03-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 7,029
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 216
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #5855 of 5895 Old 10-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
DougUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
[/B]

I will take the second part first. NO YOU ARE NOT. I had a drive go bad, took it out, swapped in a new one and a few hours later I was good as new.

As far as Kodi goes, I have a friend who has it and loves it. But I used Jriver from the start and love it. I know you have to pay for it where as Kodi you don't, I think. They probably look different in the interface. The naming convention may be different for TV shows. But I downloaded Kodi and did not like the UI at all. I really like Jriver more. But I guess it's what you get used to. I am pretty sure you can still download Jriver and play with it for a month before you have to pay for it.
Yeah, I run mine in a mirror, but haven't had a failure yet. Of course, that doesn't stop me from having ANOTHER external USB HDD, that I routinely copy the movie directory onto.

So is it "just" the UI that's different?

Sorry, links are all bad.
DougUSMC is offline  
post #5856 of 5895 Old 10-03-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 7,029
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Yeah, I run mine in a mirror, but haven't had a failure yet. Of course, that doesn't stop me from having ANOTHER external USB HDD, that I routinely copy the movie directory onto.

So is it "just" the UI that's different?



Sorry, links are all bad.
Wow, they worked a second ago. Try post 1258 on this page
My HT\2ch setup

I don't know what else is different but the UI was different and I did not like it.

It ain't easy being green.
My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 10-03-2017 at 11:34 AM.
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #5857 of 5895 Old 10-03-2017, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 6,576
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked: 1713
The Beast, Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Wow, they worked a second ago. Try post 1258 on this page

My HT\2ch setup



I don't know what else is different but the UI was different and I did not like it.


Don't (yet) have a movie server but for my music server (about 1300 CD's) I have local redundancy AND give another full backup copy to a friend "offsite" --- in case of fire or other disaster. Terabytes of storage are really cheap when compared to re-ripping 1000's of music CD's or movies. When I get a movie server, I will do the same!

It takes a while to make the backup but far less than re-ripping ...... far less.
dgage, arsMatrix and unretarded like this.
audioguy is offline  
post #5858 of 5895 Old 10-05-2017, 12:49 AM
Member
 
frenchfries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Wow, they worked a second ago. Try post 1258 on this page
My HT\2ch setup

I don't know what else is different but the UI was different and I did not like it.
Heaps different; kodi dsplayer uses madvr like red October high. Kodi has way more plugins and isn't as ugly as a baboons arse.

I use Plex for sorting and serving with the Plex for Kodi plugin. That works really well and dsplayer gets you all the video customisation you could want.

Jriver has good stuff, the front end ripping system and the audio configurability but it's let down so much by the terrible UI.

Plex and Kodi together allow you to watch your media wherever you want and you can go for crazy good visuals in the theatre by opting for dsplayer.

Obviously your experiences may differ.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
frenchfries is offline  
post #5859 of 5895 Old 10-05-2017, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 7,029
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfries View Post
Heaps different; kodi dsplayer uses madvr like red October high. Kodi has way more plugins and isn't as ugly as a baboons arse.

I use Plex for sorting and serving with the Plex for Kodi plugin. That works really well and dsplayer gets you all the video customisation you could want.

Jriver has good stuff, the front end ripping system and the audio configurability but it's let down so much by the terrible UI.

Plex and Kodi together allow you to watch your media wherever you want and you can go for crazy good visuals in the theatre by opting for dsplayer.

Obviously your experiences may differ.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
That's cool. Maybe it's what I am used to. But my first server came with Jriver 18 and I have liked it ever since. I don't use it for ripping so that's a non issue for me. Jriver uses madvr also I believe. I understand a lot people like Kodi. I have also never used Plex so I can't comment on that. But having just one program like Jriver to watch stuff is good enough for me. But I am not saying it is the best solution for everyone. It's just that I know it now and I am happy with it. And I also only watch media in one spot so the "watch media wherever you want" does not apply to me. But I do know a lot of people like it. Maybe someday I will give it another shot with some help from my friend. But right now I am happy with Jriver.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #5860 of 5895 Old 10-05-2017, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 4,724
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
That's cool. Maybe it's what I am used to. But my first server came with Jriver 18 and I have liked it ever since. I don't use it for ripping so that's a non issue for me. Jriver uses madvr also I believe. I understand a lot people like Kodi. I have also never used Plex so I can't comment on that. But having just one program like Jriver to watch stuff is good enough for me. But I am not saying it is the best solution for everyone. It's just that I know it now and I am happy with it. And I also only watch media in one spot so the "watch media wherever you want" does not apply to me. But I do know a lot of people like it. Maybe someday I will give it another shot with some help from my friend. But right now I am happy with Jriver.
Hey, theoretically, how would one import an Atmos track in MakeMKV?
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #5861 of 5895 Old 10-05-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Hey, theoretically, how would one import an Atmos track in MakeMKV?
I'm not quite sure what you are asking. From a movie? or by itself? On a blu ray, it just shows up as one of the audio tracks in the list. It rips atmos just fine with the blu ray video.
damelon is online now  
post #5862 of 5895 Old 10-05-2017, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 4,724
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
I'm not quite sure what you are asking. From a movie? or by itself? On a blu ray, it just shows up as one of the audio tracks in the list. It rips atmos just fine with the blu ray video.
Oddly, there are no Atmos tracks showing up in the lists. Almost always DTS-HD MA 7.1, with an occasional Dolby True HD.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #5863 of 5895 Old 10-05-2017, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 7,029
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Hey, theoretically, how would one import an Atmos track in MakeMKV?
TBH, I haven't used MKV in a while. But I think there is an Atmos track listed, if I remember correctly (You may be right though of it not showing up). Even though it may say only TRUHD, if you hover over the sound track choices, one of them may say Atmos. But when I play back an Atmos Track all I get is 5.1 TRUHD because that's all the speakers I have. I haven't ripped any Atmos tracks with DVDfab which is what I use now so I can't comment on that. Try it with The Transformers Dark of The Moon BR. I think that has an Atmos Track on the BR disk. So does Gravity.
damelon likes this.

It ain't easy being green.
My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 10-05-2017 at 08:11 AM.
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #5864 of 5895 Old 10-05-2017, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
TBH, I haven't used MKV in a while. But I think there is an Atmos track listed, if I remember correctly (You may be right though of it not showing up). Even though it may say only TRUHD, if you hover over the sound track choices, one of them may say Atmos. But when I play back an Atmos Track all I get is 5.1 TRUHD because that's all the speakers I have. I haven't ripped any Atmos tracks with DVDfab which is what I use now so I can't comment on that. Try it with The Transformers Dark of The Moon BR. I think that has an Atmos Track on the BR disk. So does Gravity.
Correct, it is the first audio track listed as "TrueHD" It shows "TrueHD Atmos" in the Codec section of the track information window when you select it.
MIkeDuke likes this.
damelon is online now  
post #5865 of 5895 Old 10-05-2017, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 4,724
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
Correct, it is the first audio track listed as "TrueHD" It shows "TrueHD Atmos" in the Codec section of the track information window when you select it.
For instance--Fate of the Furious is DTS:X, but only imports as 7.1 Master Audio....I only got a TrueHD track out of Birth of a Nation (I think that's the one)....All the others offer only DD 5.1. Would the BD that come with 4k UHD flicks have a different audio track than the retail BD versions?
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #5866 of 5895 Old 10-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Member
 
frenchfries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
For instance--Fate of the Furious is DTS:X, but only imports as 7.1 Master Audio....I only got a TrueHD track out of Birth of a Nation (I think that's the one)....All the others offer only DD 5.1. Would the BD that come with 4k UHD flicks have a different audio track than the retail BD versions?
The object based formats are another layer on top of what's already there be it DTS-MA, HD, TrueHD DD+ etc. Yes you can have it over lossy stuff.

Interestingly it means some tracks are multi layered DD+ as a base and then TrueHD adds in extra stuff to make it truly lossless and then atmos on top of that. You can have one "track" support everything. Studio's seem to not do that though as they make each an individual track.

Anyway, get mediainfo and you will be able to inspect the tracks and can see if it has atmos in it.

presumably you're using mkvmerge to mux? If not that may be your problem.
frenchfries is offline  
post #5867 of 5895 Old 10-05-2017, 03:02 PM
Member
 
frenchfries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
That's cool. Maybe it's what I am used to. But my first server came with Jriver 18 and I have liked it ever since. I don't use it for ripping so that's a non issue for me. Jriver uses madvr also I believe. I understand a lot people like Kodi. I have also never used Plex so I can't comment on that. But having just one program like Jriver to watch stuff is good enough for me. But I am not saying it is the best solution for everyone. It's just that I know it now and I am happy with it. And I also only watch media in one spot so the "watch media wherever you want" does not apply to me. But I do know a lot of people like it. Maybe someday I will give it another shot with some help from my friend. But right now I am happy with Jriver.
Yeah i know jriver has madvr, thats why i made a mention that there is a kodi version with it too.

If it works for you that's great, I just genuinely couldn't get past the clunky and ugly UI in media centre mode.

For it's limited feature set it does it well. Sometimes I would rather that things only did a few things and do them properly rather than half-arsed. I suppose it hearkens to the unix program philosophy of a program only doing one thing but being awesome at it rather than the kitchen sink where stuff only partially works.
MIkeDuke likes this.
frenchfries is offline  
post #5868 of 5895 Old 10-05-2017, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 7,029
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfries View Post
Yeah i know jriver has madvr, thats why i made a mention that there is a kodi version with it too.

If it works for you that's great, I just genuinely couldn't get past the clunky and ugly UI in media centre mode.

For it's limited feature set it does it well. Sometimes I would rather that things only did a few things and do them properly rather than half-arsed. I suppose it hearkens to the unix program philosophy of a program only doing one thing but being awesome at it rather than the kitchen sink where stuff only partially works.
I understand %100. Like I said, I have a friend who uses Kodi. Maybe I will get in contact with him to set it up on my machine. I happen to like the UI for Jriver . It works fine for me. I don't know what else I would want my server to do. But that's why we have options.
DougUSMC likes this.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #5869 of 5895 Old 10-06-2017, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
deewan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 1,866
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 287
@BrolicBeast . Great room, I've followed your build but I did miss some of the details early on. One question I have is what did you use for the metal strips in your LED wall lights? I've looked into long strips of aluminum of similar size before and they have either been very, very expensive or not easy to obtain.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
deewan is offline  
post #5870 of 5895 Old 10-06-2017, 10:05 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@BrolicBeast - Just read through your entire build, truly amazing. In the process of building mine got so many ideas thanks a lot! May pm you with questions if you don’t mind. Btw great looking family!
wap4life is offline  
post #5871 of 5895 Old 10-10-2017, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 4,724
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
@BrolicBeast . Great room, I've followed your build but I did miss some of the details early on. One question I have is what did you use for the metal strips in your LED wall lights? I've looked into long strips of aluminum of similar size before and they have either been very, very expensive or not easy to obtain.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Hey, the aluminum is part of a fairly wide sheet from Lowe's, 8 inches or so in width, I believe. We had to cut each strip to length and width....~18 strips for the wall, and 3 really long strips for the ceiling clouds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wap4life View Post
@BrolicBeast - Just read through your entire build, truly amazing. In the process of building mine got so many ideas thanks a lot! May pm you with questions if you don’t mind. Btw great looking family!
Thanks a bunch! Sure feel free to PM me anytime man! :-)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
deewan likes this.
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #5872 of 5895 Old 10-10-2017, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
brazensol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I just bought 6 pair of the RSL C34E's for my surround sound duties based on your reviews. No pressure or anything though...
BrolicBeast likes this.
brazensol is offline  
post #5873 of 5895 Old 10-10-2017, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 6,576
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked: 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
I just bought 6 pair of the RSL C34E's for my surround sound duties based on your reviews. No pressure or anything though...


I bought two pair also on Matt’s high marks — and they are incredible ... and a steal price-wise
BrolicBeast and brazensol like this.
audioguy is offline  
post #5874 of 5895 Old 10-12-2017, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 4,724
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
As I sat in the theater to ponder life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, I noticed four of my eight step-lights went out. I was quite shocked, as I hadn't really been using them long enough, or frequently enough....then I realized that part of my "theater exit" settings has the overhead lights to 60% and the step lights to 100% so I can comfortably leave the theater whether I'm on the riser or in front row. So, the lights have been essentially running non-stop since around March of this year. In that context, I'm actually quite impressed that they lasted this long.


But...now I want a dimmable LED alternative to the small bulbs commonly used in step-lights. Is anyone aware of such bulbs?


Also, for anyone building a theater with an Insteon system, I've settled on some great presets that I want to share. I've tested and tweaked these for the better part of 2017, and I find these three presets to be extremely useful in addition to the all on/all off commands. I invite anyone to give them a shot if you're using Insteon, Lutron, or any other lighting control system for both overheads and step lights. I'd also love to see what presets others have settled on, if any readers of this post have presets they frequently use. Mine are as follows:


Entry Mode: The mode in which people enter the theater. I activate this using the Alexa voice control upstairs before setting foot in the basement. The theater automatically returns to this mode when I turn the system off (thanks to integration of Insteon and Harmony)
  • Overhead Lighting: 60%
  • Step Lighting: 100%
Preview Mode: The mode in which previews or casual viewing occurs. I engage this either using voice control or a hard button on the Harmony Elite remote. This mode is also used for bathroom runs, as the room remains dark enough not to take viewers out of the cinema experience.
  • Overhead Lighting: 15%
  • Step Lighting: 75%
Movie Mode: The mode in which movies are played. I engage this using either voice control or a hard button on the Harmony Elite remote.
  • Overhead Lighting: 0%
  • Step Lighting: 40%
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #5875 of 5895 Old 10-12-2017, 07:49 AM
Member
 
Jish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Mine are as follows:


Entry Mode: The mode in which people enter the theater. I activate this using the Alexa voice control upstairs before setting foot in the basement. The theater automatically returns to this mode when I turn the system off (thanks to integration of Insteon and Harmony)
  • Overhead Lighting: 60%
  • Step Lighting: 100%
Preview Mode: The mode in which previews or casual viewing occurs. I engage this either using voice control or a hard button on the Harmony Elite remote. This mode is also used for bathroom runs, as the room remains dark enough not to take viewers out of the cinema experience.
  • Overhead Lighting: 15%
  • Step Lighting: 75%
Movie Mode: The mode in which movies are played. I engage this using either voice control or a hard button on the Harmony Elite remote.
  • Overhead Lighting: 0%
  • Step Lighting: 40%
I'm curious Matt as to how you are using the Harmony remote with the Insteon lights as it can only be controlled via WiFi. My solution has been to use a 2411IR from Insteon to convert the IR signal into Insteon commands to control the lights; otherwise I had to use my smartphone and the Harmony app.
Jish9 is offline  
post #5876 of 5895 Old 10-12-2017, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 4,724
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
I'm curious Matt as to how you are using the Harmony remote with the Insteon lights as it can only be controlled via WiFi. My solution has been to use a 2411IR from Insteon to convert the IR signal into Insteon commands to control the lights; otherwise I had to use my smartphone and the Harmony app.

The Harmony Elite can control WiFi devices via the Hub (I'm not sure if the other models like the Ultimate can do this). So I can use Amazon Alexa to control the theater via Harmony, can view and select Sonos Playlists on the Harmony screen, and I can also use Harmony to control Insteon via WiFi.


With hub connected in final location, I spool up the My Harmony app on my laptop, and search for WiFi Devices. Once it picks them all up, I add them and then assign the Insteon presets to the home control buttons.


Which Harmony model do you have?


I will also say, I'm glad I left iRule when I did. They rolled out a sunset plan for their products. Nothing new in 2018, I believe, with complete shutdown after 2019.
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #5877 of 5895 Old 10-12-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 7,029
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Matt,
Your theater system just keeps getting better and better. Way beyond stuff I would have even thought of.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #5878 of 5895 Old 10-12-2017, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 4,724
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Matt,
Your theater system just keeps getting better and better. Way beyond stuff I would have even thought of.

Thanks Mike--I really appreciate the kind words! A significant volume of hours have been poured into planning the full experience, so your comment is very cherished. :-)
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #5879 of 5895 Old 10-12-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 7,029
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Thanks Mike--I really appreciate the kind words! A significant volume of hours have been poured into planning the full experience, so your comment is very cherished. :-)
It's obvious that you spent a ton of time learning this stuff. I know some stuff but the stuff that you now know and put into practice is stuff that I would not be able to do, even with help. So I do mean it .
BrolicBeast likes this.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #5880 of 5895 Old 10-12-2017, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HopefulFred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,685
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
The Harmony Elite can control WiFi devices via the Hub (I'm not sure if the other models like the Ultimate can do this). So I can use Amazon Alexa to control the theater via Harmony, can view and select Sonos Playlists on the Harmony screen, and I can also use Harmony to control Insteon via WiFi.
All of the Harmony products with the Hub have the same WiFi capabilities. I use a Harmony Home Control (discontinued?) in the theater and a similar Harmony Hub remote in the living room. Any time you get a hub, you get control of some WiFi devices as well as the smartphone/tablet app.

I'm hoping to get a Google Home Mini to integrate with my system like Matt has done with his Echo product.
HopefulFred is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off