Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #991 of 1231 Old 06-26-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 681
What SPL an extension are you looking for ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1231 Old 06-26-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a rotary sub show up in this build.
SXRDISBEST likes this.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #993 of 1231 Old 06-26-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
What SPL an extension are you looking for ?
SPL and extension with both surpass a Seaton Submersive HP, which is my requirement baseline (I'll also have two custom Submersive F2's for balancing subs in the rear), so all my base needs are already exceeded. Just how far this subwoofer solution exceeds my required baseline remains to be measured, as it does not exist yet. But--this is not a DIY build at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a rotary sub show up in this build.
LOL, I never actually heard of that until I saw this post and googled it. Do they actually work well? I wonder.....I wouldn't mind having a few of these in the ceiling...heh heh
post #994 of 1231 Old 06-26-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Not DIY ? That's cheating.

If I had the cash I'd do (8) double arrays of LMS Ultra 5400 18" drivers with some type of high end Pro amp that's proven to have great response into single digit frequency. 2000 or so watts to each driver. I'd have them in various locations, including some raise up near the ceiling.

I am not sure you could do better than that. Could you ? What else would ? It's like the perfect bass solution. An elegantly executed driver with anti-flux modulation shorting ring, and just ridiculous brute strength and crazy excursion. Driver + amps cost too much though I have a tough time justify that solution when a UXL 18" is half the price, and a SI18" is even half that price. The solution to great bass isn't $$$ you spend, high end brand or products, or crazy expensive drivers; it's the set up and execution of the solution, and the surface area and excursion and watts. More cheaper drivers will usually win. More drivers also means they work less hard each, and so does the amps, so less total distortion. More drivers usually means smooth and broader response too. But I do dream about what if cost was no object and you could actually do both- crazy awesome drivers and amps with some obscene amount of drivers (16+). That would just be killer and you could have your cake and eat it too for both extension and SPL.

I am curious to see your solution now that you teased me so much. I look forward to it. I am totally confused on my own bass solution. I keep flip flopping from sealed back to ported, and even playing with the idea of doing a couple mega bass horns in my riser of the second row. Ideally I want the output and low distortion, high sensitivity and efficiency of a horn with the extension of IB or Sealed but mixing them screws everything up since ported enclosure are out of phase near port tune. I am not sure sealed or IB can hit the SPL I want in my room though... so I have some tough decisions. Is your solution going to be sealed or ported? Do you have a preference for IB or sealed over ported or horns ? I'd be curious to hear your opinion on that.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #995 of 1231 Old 06-26-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Matt, how much did you look into the rotary sub? That monster is 25k if memory serves me correctly. It plays down to 1hz. There is not a single person that I know of on avs forum that has one. There probably is, but I have not come across them. I know that you are really popular on this forum already, but could you imagine how many messages and comments you would get if you put two of them in you ceiling lmao!

- Leon Phelps
post #996 of 1231 Old 06-26-2014, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not DIY ? That's cheating.

If I had the cash I'd do (8) double arrays of LMS Ultra 5400 18" drivers with some type of high end Pro amp that's proven to have great response into single digit frequency. 2000 or so watts to each driver. I'd have them in various locations, including some raise up near the ceiling.

I am not sure you could do better than that. Could you ? What else would ? It's like the perfect bass solution. An elegantly executed driver with anti-flux modulation shorting ring, and just ridiculous brute strength and crazy excursion. Driver + amps cost too much though I have a tough time justify that solution when a UXL 18" is half the price, and a SI18" is even half that price. The solution to great bass isn't $$$ you spend, high end brand or products, or crazy expensive drivers; it's the set up and execution of the solution, and the surface area and excursion and watts. More cheaper drivers will usually win. More drivers also means they work less hard each, and so does the amps, so less total distortion. More drivers usually means smooth and broader response too. But I do dream about what if cost was no object and you could actually do both- crazy awesome drivers and amps with some obscene amount of drivers (16+). That would just be killer and you could have your cake and eat it too for both extension and SPL.

I am curious to see your solution now that you teased me so much. I look forward to it. I am totally confused on my own bass solution. I keep flip flopping from sealed back to ported, and even playing with the idea of doing a couple mega bass horns in my riser of the second row. Ideally I want the output and low distortion, high sensitivity and efficiency of a horn with the extension of IB or Sealed but mixing them screws everything up since ported enclosure are out of phase near port tune. I am not sure sealed or IB can hit the SPL I want in my room though... so I have some tough decisions. Is your solution going to be sealed or ported? Do you have a preference for IB or sealed over ported or horns ? I'd be curious to hear your opinion on that.
I think IB is only sensible if theres another IB of equal capability in the same room. My preference is for sealed all the way! Some others love DIY subs, but its definitely not for me...

Quote:
Matt, how much did you look into the rotary sub? That monster is 25k if memory serves me correctly. It plays down to 1hz. There is not a single person that I know of on avs forum that has one. There probably is, but I have not come across them. I know that you are really popular on this forum already, but could you imagine how many messages and comments you would get if you put two of them in you ceiling lmao!
Wow, just looked into it a lot more...this article has me intrigued: http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...tary-subwoofer ......now you have me thinking....

I have a 13x10 room that might be perfect for this...the price tag is steep, but if I wait a few extra monthsss...
post #997 of 1231 Old 06-27-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow! If you actually got a rotary sub that would be amazing!
Mfusick likes this.

- Leon Phelps
post #998 of 1231 Old 06-27-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
That sounds really nice! I would love to live a little bit further away from the city, but I would hate to drive so far just to go to the store. how far away is the grocery store from your house?
When I visit family outside of Atlanta, I swear they are 40 minutes from anything. When you go out, you "make" sure you get everything you need, there is no running out for anything.
post #999 of 1231 Old 06-27-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll admit I don't know anything about rotary subwoofers. Interesting...

-

post #1000 of 1231 Old 06-27-2014, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm looking forward to the unveiling party. :-)
Mfusick likes this.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #1001 of 1231 Old 06-27-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
I'm looking forward to the unveiling party. :-)

+1! I think if you have one, I would definitely try to make it.

- Leon Phelps
post #1002 of 1231 Old 06-27-2014, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
+1! I think if you have one, I would definitely try to make it.
I guess I did just kind of make that assumption didn't I? :-)

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #1003 of 1231 Old 06-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
subscribed

post #1004 of 1231 Old 06-27-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow! If you actually got a rotary sub that would be amazing!
Talking to a dealer about building a rotary sub in my 14x10 room attached to the theater. WHAT HAVE YOU STARTED???
post #1005 of 1231 Old 06-27-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Talking to a dealer about building a rotary sub in my 14x10 room attached to the theater. WHAT HAVE YOU STARTED???
If you got one of those, well, I don't know what to say. Is there a level beyond reference?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #1006 of 1231 Old 06-27-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There will definitely be an "opening night!" Two, actually. One for seven local/semi-local folks (one per seat) and a second, much larger Grand Opening.
post #1007 of 1231 Old 06-27-2014, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I think the proper terminology is "ignorance is bliss and knowledge costs you more money" LOL!

HTPC are awesome get one today!
post #1008 of 1231 Old 06-27-2014, 01:24 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
how is the actual theater plan coming? that August deadline you proposed is fast approaching LOL!!!
post #1009 of 1231 Old 06-27-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Dooooo it!! Check out these articles that I read a few days ago. They recreated "small earthquakes" with one of these mounted in a Uhaul truck! Check it out:

http://jpark.us/pubs/JASA_125(4)_RotaryWoofer_2009.pdf

http://www.rotarywoofer.com/KING_IS59_Summary.pdf
post #1010 of 1231 Old 06-27-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LMAO....I'm sorry I mentioned it.

If you do decide to go this route, I am going to flip! I will be so excited for you and everybody that gets to see this!
Mfusick likes this.

- Leon Phelps
post #1011 of 1231 Old 06-27-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There will definitely be an "opening night!" Two, actually. One for seven local/semi-local folks (one per seat) and a second, much larger Grand Opening.

Please save a seat for me! I will do whatever it takes to make sure I can catch a flight out there. I don't go to the Northeast that much....never actually, so it would be a nice vacation.
Mfusick likes this.

- Leon Phelps
post #1012 of 1231 Old 06-27-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I have a 13x10 room that might be perfect for this...the price tag is steep, but if I wait a few extra monthsss...
Er no. It has done nothing but grow in expense in the 5 years or so since I became aware of it. Perhaps, you meant you could raise the funds with a few extra months?

BTW, I've been subscribed from the get go. I've never has so much fun following a build thread. Thanks!
BrolicBeast and doublewing11 like this.

Last edited by Goalline; 06-27-2014 at 05:29 PM.
post #1013 of 1231 Old 06-28-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Matt, check out this thread. I never saw this thread until today and it has some major "WOW!" factor.

The TRW Rotary Subwoofer revisited....

Recreating:
- volcanic eruptions that were heard over three miles away!
- Niagra falls
- Rocket ignition

This is nuts! Also, I stand corrected. It looks like somebody on avs does have one. He is not in the US though. Maybe you can be the first?

- Leon Phelps

Last edited by Pain Infliction; 06-28-2014 at 06:35 AM.
post #1014 of 1231 Old 06-28-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I saw that thread too from the link in the other - crazy stuff. What's the cost on something like that ?

-

post #1015 of 1231 Old 06-28-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I saw that thread too from the link in the other - crazy stuff. What's the cost on something like that ?
I think the total cost including the item itself and the installation was somewhere around $12,000-$15,000 if my memory is correct. It may be more now.
Mfusick likes this.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #1016 of 1231 Old 06-28-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought the grand total was 25k?? I don't remember but each application might vary in price depending on what needs to be done. Unfortunately it is out of my league and I have the perfect space for it too since my theater is surrounded by three large attic spaces.

Another thing is that the rotary sub is a good value IMO. You could spend the cost of one on subs and not get the performance of a rotary sub.

Last edited by Pain Infliction; 06-28-2014 at 08:33 AM.
post #1017 of 1231 Old 06-28-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

You may be right Pain. As I said, I was going of memory and that was a price that was many years old.
Yep, I was wrong. This is from Bruce Thigpen/Eminent Technology website.
http://www.rotarywoofer.com/
Pricing:
TRW-17 transducer $12,900.00
Motor Controller $450.00
BT-42 Amplifier and crossover $1050.00
Design and installation, typical $8,000-$12,000*
Total $21,950-$25,950

*Note, design and installation fees include:
1. consulting engineering for the installation,
2. design and construction of the manifold at Eminent Technology
3. installation and setup of the TRW-17 by Eminent Technology
4. measurement and performance testing of the finished installation
5. travel for Eminent Technology employees
6. contractor fees for construction necesary for the installation

My System

post #1018 of 1231 Old 06-28-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

To me, if you can dish out that kind of money, that sounds like a good deal. You get the product, professional installation, and professional tuning. From what I gather by reading BB's threads, this sounds about what he would want.
post #1019 of 1231 Old 06-28-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

how about a Danely matterhorn ? That's pretty much the most epic subwoofer ever. Specification is -3dB @ 12 Hz and flat from 15-80 Hz. It will do 105 dB @ 250 meters and more than 140 dB for music playback. I am not sure what it costs but I do know they used over $200 worth drill bits making it... lol

Quote:
x40 Subwoofers
- x40 1,000 Watt amplifiers
- 20' x 8' x 8' Cargo container
- 53 Sheets 4' x 8' 18mm 13 ply Baltic Birch plywood
- 645 feet of 3" x 3" 1/4" angle iron
- 23 feet of 4" x 4" square steel tubing
- 39 feet of 1" x 1" X 1/4" angle iron
- 23 lbs of .030 welding wire
- 95 Tubes of heavy duty construction adhesive
- 1100 feet of 12 Gauge speaker cable
- Approx. 5000 screws and bolts
- $200 worth drill bits
Danley Sound Labs' Matterhorn is the mother of all subwoofers, it has 40,000 watts of power and comes with it's own diesel power generator. Seriously.. it does.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...=3255866089604

^ probably won't hear anything unless your PC speakers do 11hz haha...

-

post #1020 of 1231 Old 06-29-2014, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If I can't talk them wayyyyyyyy down in price, then the rotary sub won't work

Something else won't work:the side entrance to the theater, as planned in the last model.

What does this mean?

.................................................. ........

YOU GUESSED IT! Time to move the sump-pump to get us the room we need to make an entrance worthy of the dream.

That matterhorn.....geez....$200 in DRILL BITS???? 40 DRIVERS????????? my gosh......ummmm.......outta my league!!!
Mfusick likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page