post #1051 of 1208 Old 07-03-2014, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
I mean, who am I to criticize anybody. My HT has a 42in TV(Not even 50in ) and is in a small room with 2 chairs and is a 5.1 system. I would never say someone else's system is less then... Whatever. What's the point. It makes no sense to me to openly do anything like that. Maybe that's all they can do and the worked really hard to get that system. Why rain down on it. But people like to do that. That's been my observation.
Yup, exactly. It's everywhere though--not just AVS. I'm an avid gamer, and it happens on the game forums too. Oh gosh--don't let the question "what's your score?" come up on a gaming forum! lol.
Mfusick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1208 Old 07-03-2014, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brain Dump of items left besides the actual room build...

Move sump pump
Figure out heating/cooling
Complete amplifier purchase
Buy next projector (Sold the 600ES)
Build the replacement bathroom that I promised my wife (a condition of her getting on board with the demo)
Buy rear surround speakers
Buy subwoofer solution
Buy Screen
Buy Seating
Buy Carpet

There are a lot of expenses ahead of me, and dang it--there are a lot of expenses behind me already too. Below is my scale:

post #1053 of 1208 Old 07-03-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I like the stage right before "I am moving". Some of that stuff does look like it could be a bit of money. I am interested in the size of the screen, what projector you get and your sub solution. Once complete it should be epic.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #1054 of 1208 Old 07-03-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 266
BB - Well, you certainly can say you are more than dedicated to making the project happen. Moving sump pumps and demo'ing and rebuilding bathrooms = hardcore in my book.

P.S. - I've mentioned to my wife on more than one occasion that I want to demo and completely rebuild the entire basement someday. She wasn't pleased - especially because she knows I will do it at some point.

I'm in shock you sold that 600ES - along with other stuff like your previous speaker and sub setup which would outstanding and a 9.9/10 in the grand scheme. What was it you didn't like about the 600? It's hard to imagine getting any better than what you had! That is one amazing piece of circuitry!!
post #1055 of 1208 Old 07-03-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think it's that Matt did not like the 600. I think it was the fact that he did not like the fact that it would be not used for a long period of time. Plus, when he is ready, he can see if there is something better.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #1056 of 1208 Old 07-03-2014, 06:30 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Brain Dump of items left besides the actual room build...

Move sump pump
Figure out heating/cooling
Complete amplifier purchase
Buy next projector (Sold the 600ES)
Build the replacement bathroom that I promised my wife (a condition of her getting on board with the demo)
Buy rear surround speakers
Buy subwoofer solution
Buy Screen
Buy Seating
Buy Carpet

There are a lot of expenses ahead of me, and dang it--there are a lot of expenses behind me already too. Below is my scale:

here is what i would do

build bathroom (happy wife happy life)

get theater plan on paper

figure out heating cooling so it works with the plan

start the fun stuff framing building the room

firm up your equipment storage IE are you going to do a closet or stick with original plan with the room and stands so you will know exactly how your gonna run your wires

then drywall

once your in home stretch with finishing details start thinking about equipment (you have already have some of it )

buying equipment a few months before the room is complete it just not ideal you know new updated stuff comes out all the time , plus as the room takes shape you may decide to go different route
maybe smaller or bigger screen, seats i would also hold off on until room is framed and dry walled because seats come in varying widths

i would hate to spend 30 or 40k on equipment then something unforeseen happens during the build and all your money is sitting in boxes and all you have to show for your effort is a bunch of youtube videos of you unboxing really cool equipment
Mfusick and onyxbfly like this.
post #1057 of 1208 Old 07-03-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 673
You should make it a goal not to purchase any AV gear until the carpet is installed.
onyxbfly and snickers1 like this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1058 of 1208 Old 07-03-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Maybe you should purchase a no-longer-used commercial theater and then add some bedrooms and bathroom, and other living spaces. Might be cheaper.

While I know it's not the case, this has all of the earmarkings of the project managing the project manager instead of the other way around
onyxbfly likes this.
post #1059 of 1208 Old 07-03-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I like the stage right before "I am moving". Some of that stuff does look like it could be a bit of money. I am interested in the size of the screen, what projector you get and your sub solution. Once complete it should be epic.
LOL, the unmentionable stage! lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
BB - Well, you certainly can say you are more than dedicated to making the project happen. Moving sump pumps and demo'ing and rebuilding bathrooms = hardcore in my book.

P.S. - I've mentioned to my wife on more than one occasion that I want to demo and completely rebuild the entire basement someday. She wasn't pleased - especially because she knows I will do it at some point.

I'm in shock you sold that 600ES - along with other stuff like your previous speaker and sub setup which would outstanding and a 9.9/10 in the grand scheme. What was it you didn't like about the 600? It's hard to imagine getting any better than what you had! That is one amazing piece of circuitry!!
LOL, man--you should have seen the look on the plumbers face when I told him I wanted him to move the HVAC and water heater, along with bathroom plumbing...all for a theater. He blinked about eight times.....i think he was expecting "laboratory" or "occupiable living space.' He confirmed his thoughts when he asked "why not get a projector from best buy for 800 buuucks (trying to replicate his detroit accent) and throw a sheet on the wall?" After my gasp of shock, I think I managed to utter "I don't think that can work down here." Perplexed, he completed his portion of the paperwork. lol. Given the fact that you don't have any major structural of mechanical changes to make, demoing and rebuilding your space would be very easy. We demoed my space in about six hours....althought it has yet to be re-built due to the spatial challenges (i.e. bathroom, mechanicals).

For you, unless you soundproof, you could do it in under a week with two people helping. Send the wife away to a Spa before a holiday weekend, and when she gets back, all she'll see is drywall that needs paint.

I loved the 600ES, but as a fellow AVS-er so accurately put it, it was cutting edge technology in a box. I'm not close to using it, and by the time I am ready for it, something newer and better will be out (I'll order a new projector after CEDIA).

Quote:
I don't think it's that Matt did not like the 600. I think it was the fact that he did not like the fact that it would be not used for a long period of time. Plus, when he is ready, he can see if there is something better.
Mike, you hit the nail on the head!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
here is what i would do

build bathroom (happy wife happy life)

HAPPENING A WEEK FROM MONDAY

get theater plan on paper

LAYOUT COMING NEXT WEEK FROM NYAL MELLOR AT ACOUSTIC FRONTIERS! THIS IS ROUND TWO, AS WE WORKED ON A LAYOUT FOR THE ORIGINAL SPACE, WHICH IS HOW I LEARNED HOW MUCH SPACE I WOULD HAVE HAD REMAINING AFTER TREATMENTS (15X15), WHICH CAUSED ME TO MANDATE THE LARGER ROOM

figure out heating cooling so it works with the plan

WILL BE DOING THAT ONCE A CERTAIN KNOWLEDGABLE FORUM MEMBER RETURNS FROM VACATION SO I CAN PICK HIS BRAIN

start the fun stuff framing building the room

THIS MONTH FOR SURE

firm up your equipment storage IE are you going to do a closet or stick with original plan with the room and stands so you will know exactly how your gonna run your wires

then drywall

STICKING WITH THE ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT ON PEDESTALS, WITH A VENTED GLASS DISPLAY CASE WITH ALTERNATING SHELVES ON EITHER SIDE FOR THE SMALLER PIECES OF GEAR

once your in home stretch with finishing details start thinking about equipment (you have already have some of it )

buying equipment a few months before the room is complete it just not ideal you know new updated stuff comes out all the time , plus as the room takes shape you may decide to go different route
maybe smaller or bigger screen, seats i would also hold off on until room is framed and dry walled because seats come in varying widths

AGREED AND AGREED!

i would hate to spend 30 or 40k on equipment then something unforeseen happens during the build and all your money is sitting in boxes and all you have to show for your effort is a bunch of youtube videos of you unboxing really cool equipment

I WOULD HATE SO TOO!
Check my responses in your post in all caps (i don't know how to use the quote-within-a-quote function on this new AVS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
You should make it a goal not to purchase any AV gear until the carpet is installed.
Hmmmmm--until the carpet is installed. That sounds like a pretty neat threshold. I think I'll stick to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Maybe you should purchase a no-longer-used commercial theater and then add some bedrooms and bathroom, and other living spaces. Might be cheaper.

While I know it's not the case, this has all of the earmarkings of the project managing the project manager instead of the other way around
HA! Yeah, the signs are there, and were this any other project, I'd be inclined to agree. Standard PM rigidity will be a roadblock to a truly enjoyable theater though. I know this based just on what I've learned since starting the build. So many facets of this build are interconnected in a way that requires flexibility, as opposed to the standard predecessor/successor schedule to manage against. For instance, if it weren't for my need to the perfect treatment plan, I would have been able to use the original 18x18 space without losing 2 feet per wall and I'd be enjoying my theater right now. But alas, no preventable compromises are allowed.
post #1060 of 1208 Old 07-04-2014, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Transformers 4 in 3D and Atmos at Tyson's Corner! YESSSSS!

Edit(3 hrs later): What the heck was that?

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 07-04-2014 at 02:21 PM.
post #1061 of 1208 Old 07-04-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Transformers 4 in 3D and Atmos at Tyson's Corner! YESSSSS!

Edit(3 hrs later): What the heck was that?
I get the feeling you did not like it. I have a few levels on what makes me like a film. I can like the story. That's a plus. If I like the story and it has great action, that's a bonus. Them there are the movies like The Transformers. Some of them I really like. OK, so this one may not be the best but even in a non atmos theater, the audio and video were just insane. That's enough for me to enjoy it on my HT. On your new system, the audio alone should be worth you getting it. I know I am. And to be honest, I did like this one. But that's just me. I tend to go against the grain some times.

My System

post #1062 of 1208 Old 07-04-2014, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I get the feeling you did not like it. I have a few levels on what makes me like a film. I can like the story. That's a plus. If I like the story and it has great action, that's a bonus. Them there are the movies like The Transformers. Some of them I really like. OK, so this one may not be the best but even in a non atmos theater, the audio and video were just insane. That's enough for me to enjoy it on my HT. On your new system, the audio alone should be worth you getting it. I know I am. And to be honest, I did like this one. But that's just me. I tend to go against the grain some times.
The film was definitely an A/V beast! I'm a die-hard Transformers fan from the 80's and 90's and I love the first through third movies and saw each of them multiple times in theor respective theatrical runs, but this installment just didn't do it for me. Halfway through the movie, my wife said to me "the first three were better--wanna leave?" Of course, I did no such thing, but I child see where she was coming from. No battle really sticks out in my mind, and the battles were too few and far between (there was a significant human emphasis here)...

But thats just my take, I completely see how some would love it...great action, great eye candy from Nicola Peltz, an awesome villain (likely the best the series has ever seen--awesome!), and a really nice peek into transformers lore in the third act...

I still hold Transformers 3 as being in my top five favorite movies of all time (dont laugh). I can watch it limitless times with no fatigue!
Mfusick likes this.
post #1063 of 1208 Old 07-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I saw Transformers 3 and my son had to wake me at least three times. Sadly I didn't even care what I missed.
post #1064 of 1208 Old 07-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I may have to go back and watch Transformers 3 again because that's the one in the series that didn't do it for me really. Maybe I was missing something. I did watch the new one at an IMAX theater and I thought it was really good. One of the best ones of the 4 to me. Maybe it was because it was IMAX though.
post #1065 of 1208 Old 07-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
so any new updates, progress, or photos on the build? ^_^

post #1066 of 1208 Old 07-05-2014, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
so any new updates, progress, or photos on the build? ^_^
I need to get the bathroom done at the same time as the sump-pump relocation (plumber is willing to shave a few hundred dollars off the price if I do both projects on the same day). That's happening on the 14th. After that, we will start framing and will be hitting the room completion full steam ahead. Until then, its just drywall, green-glue, joists, and I.

But I will say this--I saw a Tesla Model S at the mall yesterday questioned my 100% dedication to the theater. I thought about selling my CinemaPlus Platinums at a fire-sale price and heading to the credit union to discuss a new car purchase....I decided against it, but it's the only time since I started this build that I encountered an earthly posession that I briefly wanted more than the theater.

Completing this theater over the next few months is an absolute priority because with 120k+ miles on my current car (I commute over 110 miles a day), im going to need that Tesla soon after theater completion. My haste might helo me make faster decisions about the in-room design aspects of the theater.
post #1067 of 1208 Old 07-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I need to get the bathroom done at the same time as the sump-pump relocation (plumber is willing to shave a few hundred dollars off the price if I do both projects on the same day). That's happening on the 14th. After that, we will start framing and will be hitting the room completion full steam ahead. Until then, its just drywall, green-glue, joists, and I.

But I will say this--I saw a Tesla Model S at the mall yesterday questioned my 100% dedication to the theater. I thought about selling my CinemaPlus Platinums at a fire-sale price and heading to the credit union to discuss a new car purchase....I decided against it, but it's the only time since I started this build that I encountered an earthly posession that I briefly wanted more than the theater.

Completing this theater over the next few months is an absolute priority because with 120k+ miles on my current car (I commute over 110 miles a day), im going to need that Tesla soon after theater completion. My haste might helo me make faster decisions about the in-room design aspects of the theater.
Sorry there was so much Transformers talk I must have missed that ^^;; and yes living in LA, I see many Tesla and they are simply gorgeous cars.

post #1068 of 1208 Old 07-06-2014, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry there was so much Transformers talk I must have missed that ^^;; and yes living in LA, I see many Tesla and they are simply gorgeous cars.
Yeah, every now and then I'm very guilty of going off topic myself. My other thread (The System Configuration link in my signature) is an OT extravaganza sometimes (that's allowable per the nature and culture of that forum, which I enjoy very much) so I occasionally bring that culture here, a la the Transformers discussion.

I also need to order more soundproofing materials. My original order was for the 18x17.5 space. Adding an extra 10x17.5 worth of materials is something I'm certainly not looking forward to.
post #1069 of 1208 Old 07-06-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Yup, exactly. It's everywhere though--not just AVS. I'm an avid gamer, and it happens on the game forums too. Oh gosh--don't let the question "what's your score?" come up on a gaming forum! lol.
If you're a gamer, whats your plan for projectors? It seems any projectors that I find that are great for movies/HD, they are terrible for gaming. And vice versa. Are you planning 2 projectors?

I'm a gamer too, which is why I ask.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #1070 of 1208 Old 07-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
If you're a gamer, whats your plan for projectors? It seems any projectors that I find that are great for movies/HD, they are terrible for gaming. And vice versa. Are you planning 2 projectors?

I use the BenQ w1070 for gaming and it is crystal clear, no noticeable lag,

and at 120 inches looks freaking awesome.

post #1071 of 1208 Old 07-06-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Dr. Brolic: There is not a car in the known or unknown universe that would cause me to think for nano second about giving up anything in my home theater - even when I was driving 30,000+ miles per year.

The committee will be meeting next week to determine if you will need to give up your high end audio/home theater card.

Should you be allowed to keep your card, you will be required to provide a free Tesla S to the committee head (that would be me).
post #1072 of 1208 Old 07-06-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

OT Transformer question: Favorite female lead: Megan Fox or Rosie Alice Huntington-Whiteley. (I vote for Megan Fox).
post #1073 of 1208 Old 07-06-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OT Transformer question: Favorite female lead: Megan Fox or Rosie Alice Huntington-Whiteley. (I vote for Megan Fox).
Megan Fox, without a doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post

I'm a single-player only gamer, so I don't notice the lag that others notice in the games that require twitch-reflexes. I've always used JVC projectors for movies/gaming though. CEDIA will determine what path I take, as I may actually go the two-projector route.

Quote:
I use the BenQ w1070 for gaming and it is crystal clear, no noticeable lag,

and at 120 inches looks freaking awesome.

Is that BenQ that light-cannon projector that was released a couple of years ago? The picture is crystal clear? Do you, perchance, use it with a Darbee?

My last theater had a 120" screen which I thoroughly enjoyed! I cannot wait to make this jump to 144" in a few months!

Quote:
Dr. Brolic: There is not a car in the known or unknown universe that would cause me to think for nano second about giving up anything in my home theater - even when I was driving 30,000+ miles per year.

The committee will be meeting next week to determine if you will need to give up your high end audio/home theater card.

Should you be allowed to keep your card, you will be required to provide a free Tesla S to the committee head (that would be me).
LOL, my High-End Audio/Video Card is currently hidden in a cable-card slot in an HTPC tuner, which is locked away in a safe that can never be cracked! lol....I must admit-- I had a moment of weakness! Although it is much easier to give up something that doesn't yet exist. lol...but the Tesla purchase isn't realistic as long as my last house remains unsold. It's under contract now, but the buyers seem to be dragging their feet, and I don't like the way that looks. Maintaining two mortgages and building a theater is wicked demanding....if we don't settle soon, I may have to pause the theater build. I'm PRAYING it doesn't come to that point.
post #1074 of 1208 Old 07-06-2014, 07:05 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Megan Fox, without a doubt!

I'm a single-player only gamer, so I don't notice the lag that others notice in the games that require twitch-reflexes. I've always used JVC projectors for movies/gaming though. CEDIA will determine what path I take, as I may actually go the two-projector route.

Is that BenQ that light-cannon projector that was released a couple of years ago? The picture is crystal clear? Do you, perchance, use it with a Darbee?

My last theater had a 120" screen which I thoroughly enjoyed! I cannot wait to make this jump to 144" in a few months!

(

you have 8' ceilings so not sure how you will pull off stacked projectors? not sure if you can do them side by side never scene that and i know for me my OCD would kick in hard because estetics mean alot to me so having two would just look funny to me but that is just me. (save the money for the down payment on your wife's new Tesla i mean "your" new Tesla LOL!!!)

Check out Jeff's rescue my Theater thread we installed a 144" 2.35 screen in there. I think that is my new Favorite size ... not to big and by far not to small. not sure the demisions of that room but that Jeff picked the perfect size i think.. just fills the space perfectly, with you room not having the ceiling height he has the 144" will look
bigger for sure.
post #1075 of 1208 Old 07-07-2014, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
you have 8' ceilings so not sure how you will pull off stacked projectors? not sure if you can do them side by side never scene that and i know for me my OCD would kick in hard because estetics mean alot to me so having two would just look funny to me but that is just me. (save the money for the down payment on your wife's new Tesla i mean "your" new Tesla LOL!!!)

Check out Jeff's rescue my Theater thread we installed a 144" 2.35 screen in there. I think that is my new Favorite size ... not to big and by far not to small. not sure the demisions of that room but that Jeff picked the perfect size i think.. just fills the space perfectly, with you room not having the ceiling height he has the 144" will look
bigger for sure.
If i did do a double projector setuo, the projectors would go next to each other in adjacent hush boxes built into the soffit--invisible to the naked eye.

I like the Rescue My Theater thread a lot. That room is 16ft wide (not sure how long). The screen looks absolutely perfect for that width.
post #1076 of 1208 Old 07-07-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Car<Theater.

No question about it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1077 of 1208 Old 07-11-2014, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I think this is a record, over 1000 posts and theater building still not started? :P haha

Looking forward to see some updates, this theater is going to be awesome.
post #1078 of 1208 Old 07-11-2014, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
I think this is a record, over 1000 posts and theater building still not started? :P haha

Looking forward to see some updates, this theater is going to be awesome.
Lololololol.....Reverse Loganed??? Lol. I'm getting the sump pump moved on Monday. I'm close to the completion of my Dolby Atmos layout from Nyal Mellor, the big bossman at Acoustic Frontiers. A very collaborative experience--refreshing, to say the least.

Framing starts SOON!
post #1079 of 1208 Old 07-11-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Lololololol.....Reverse Loganed??? Lol. I'm getting the sump pump moved on Monday. I'm close to the completion of my Dolby Atmos layout from Nyal Mellor, the big bossman at Acoustic Frontiers. A very collaborative experience--refreshing, to say the least.

Framing starts SOON!
So how many speakers are you finally going with. What x.x.x setup will you be using.

My System

post #1080 of 1208 Old 07-11-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So how many speakers are you finally going with. What x.x.x setup will you be using.
Based on industry expectations, 9.6.6 or 9.6.8.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page