Forum Jump: 
 226Likes
post #1141 of 1919 Old 07-18-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
So framing is this weekend. Then you do the sheet rock GG thing right? I know you already did some GG walls but this is just framing wood and I assume that you have sheet rock to make the walls? Can't wait for the next vid.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1919 Old 07-18-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Yup Sunday is framing day! Not enough time to warp? I didnt know that, but that's definitely a good thing!
Nice! You have a framing hammer or gun ? I assume Jeff probably bringing the tools. Scratch that question. lol.

Have you ever framed before? I look forward to the progress pics ! BTW, what player you use on HTPC for 3D? You figure out the MVC thing yet ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1143 of 1919 Old 07-18-2014, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
So framing is this weekend. Then you do the sheet rock GG thing right? I know you already did some GG walls but this is just framing wood and I assume that you have sheet rock to make the walls? Can't wait for the next vid.
Hey Mike, after the framing comes the wire-runs, electrical, and some pipe runs and HVAC runs...but then....the drywall comes with GG. My previous goal to frame and sheetrock in the same week was flawed, as I realized there's a heck of a lot to do in between framing and drywall. I started shooting episode 4 of the series today, with sweat still on my head from carrying all that lumber down to the basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Nice! You have a framing hammer or gun ? I assume Jeff probably bringing the tools. Scratch that question. lol.

Have you ever framed before? I look forward to the progress pics ! BTW, what player you use on HTPC for 3D? You figure out the MVC thing yet ?
Haven't explored the 3D at all. Nah, I've never done framing before--this is all new to me. I'm sure I'll be a pro though after we do a few walls. Well, I'll have to become a pro, because after the theater is framed, I'm going to frame the new bathroom as well.
post #1144 of 1919 Old 07-18-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:

Haven't explored the 3D at all. Nah, I've never done framing before--this is all new to me. I'm sure I'll be a pro though after we do a few walls. Well, I'll have to become a pro, because after the theater is framed, I'm going to frame the new bathroom as well.
Doing the work is easy, figuring how to do it is another. Once you do it a couple of time it does get allot easier. If you ask me the sheetrock is the hardest part. I actually have a couple of guys finishing mine right now as I am laid up for a couple of months.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 07-18-2014 at 06:04 PM.
post #1145 of 1919 Old 07-18-2014, 02:16 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
framing will be done by this Sunday
the eternal optimist.
post #1146 of 1919 Old 07-18-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey Mike, after the framing comes the wire-runs, electrical, and some pipe runs and HVAC runs...but then....the drywall comes with GG. My previous goal to frame and sheetrock in the same week was flawed, as I realized there's a heck of a lot to do in between framing and drywall. I started shooting episode 4 of the series today, with sweat still on my head from carrying all that lumber down to the basement.
Right. I did not even think of that other stuff. So much to do when you build a room basically from scratch. I am sure it will be worth it in the end though. Can't wait for that video.

My System
post #1147 of 1919 Old 07-20-2014, 05:18 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

we did some framing today, Beast's report to follow.
Mfusick likes this.
post #1148 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Aye, framing did indeed get done! With this post, this thread officially transitions from Build Anticipation Thread to Build Thread! lol. Big swung by yesterday and brought along a buddy who was extremely helpful. We inserted blocking for connecting the top plates to the IB3 clips, did a lot of measuring and cutting, and did some framing. I learned that framing isn't as easy as it seems at first--my first try with the nail gun was...unsuccessful at first. Thankfully, my next try was more successful! See pictures below!

State of the room right now:

Framing the first wall in the equipment room before stand-up:

Full right wall of theater:

The Equipment Room:

Mechanicals hidden behind room:

Mfusick and Reddig like this.

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 07-21-2014 at 06:42 AM.
post #1149 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks fantastic Matt. It's great to see this coming together. Can't wait for more pics.

My System
post #1150 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Framing is fun! Looking good!

I think I have that same circular cut tool in photo #1 . Harbor freight?

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #1151 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Much much better use of space than before. Of course, being mostly one huge theater is always a good idea! Considering you are going all out equipment wise it makes sense to do the same everywhere else. Now you just will never be able to move! I love the desk behind the wall... I'd love my office to be accessed through a hidden wall in the theater myself!
post #1152 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
I like it. I like it a lot. When is the next work party ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1153 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
I love the desk behind the wall... I'd love my office to be accessed through a hidden wall in the theater myself!
I can guarantee that my productivity would go to zero and 'pesky' work e-mails would be reduced to monosyllabic responses!

Nice job on the framing. Looking at the right wall pictures, it appears there is some sort of vertical pressure treated wood used in conjunction with clips to hold the decoupled wall in position. How did you decide to decouple your walls?
post #1154 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looks fantastic Matt. It's great to see this coming together. Can't wait for more pics.
Thanks! Man, it makes such a difference seeing the studs in place. It really helps keep the vision in perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Framing is fun! Looking good!

I think I have that same circular cut tool in photo #1 . Harbor freight?
Thanks man! Ha, yes...but of course! 'Tis in loan from Big so I can get rid of the subfloor nails.

Quote:
Much much better use of space than before. Of course, being mostly one huge theater is always a good idea! Considering you are going all out equipment wise it makes sense to do the same everywhere else. Now you just will never be able to move! I love the desk behind the wall... I'd love my office to be accessed through a hidden wall in the theater myself!
lol, we never plan to move! But....if we do, I'll convert the source into a sound-proofed in-law suite. But...we're never moving!!! Man, I can't wait to get it finished. That's not a desk at all, lol...it's a tall-ish, credenza from my last house that is currently in "ronin" status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I like it. I like it a lot. When is the next work party?
Thanks! I'm taking applications for next work party! No applicant shall be rejected! Lol :-)
post #1155 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 09:52 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Thanks! Man, it makes such a difference seeing the studs in place. It really helps keep the vision in perspective.

Jeff must be flattered LOL!!!!
post #1156 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
Jeff must be flattered LOL!!!!
The guy's got framing skills...that's for sure.
post #1157 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 09:56 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
The guy's got framing skills...that's for sure.
yep he does ... you have not see nothing yet
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #1158 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I remember those days Matt.. I thought it would never come together. Jeff kept telling me not to worry and keep hammering away and he was right..
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #1159 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 11:23 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

We haven't anchored any of the walls up top yet so if they are leaning a bit, that is why. No vertical PT lumber, must be the lighting.
post #1160 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
I can guarantee that my productivity would go to zero and 'pesky' work e-mails would be reduced to monosyllabic responses!

Nice job on the framing. Looking at the right wall pictures, it appears there is some sort of vertical pressure treated wood used in conjunction with clips to hold the decoupled wall in position. How did you decide to decouple your walls?
Man, if I did do an office in there, It would have to be purely for leisure, because I'd get voted worlds worst boss.

Employee: "Matt, Matt--we have a critical variance on result X. How can we correct? We can either do x, y, z, or x through z to correct.

Me: Quit.

***back to watching my movie on office screen synced with theater***

The walls will be double walls on any wall or wall-section not directly up against concrete. When building against concrete, then the 1" gap is the de-coupling mechanism. For top plates, IB3 clips will connect to the joists or blocking (where necessary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
We haven't anchored any of the walls up top yet so if they are leaning a bit, that is why. No vertical PT lumber, must be the lighting.
Yup--you may see some leaning in the video as well (to be posted soon). As Big said--no anchoring has taken place yet.
post #1161 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23 View Post
I remember those days Matt.. I thought it would never come together. Jeff kept telling me not to worry and keep hammering away and he was right..
I hear ya bro...watching the vision become reality can never be taken from us! Being a part of making the vision a reality is even better. I'm counting down the days until drywall man--I'm going to take half a week off from work to make sure that part goes according to plan.
post #1162 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I hear ya bro...watching the vision become reality can never be taken from us! Being a part of making the vision a reality is even better. I'm counting down the days until drywall man--I'm going to take half a week off from work to make sure that part goes according to plan.
We used our time very well when Jeff and I were building my room. I pretty much took 1 day off each week during the build. We would work weekends, and then come away with a "to do" list, which usually would be Jeff doing some wood work at home in his shop, I'd do some electrical or painting, then some time during the week I'd take off and we would do the next step, more to-do work, back to the weekend. It moved along really well. Plus we had some help early with framing and drywall to speed up the beginning process too. Jeff is great at what he does... in fact a little too good, since now he has no free time! I do like the "work with me" policy though... being hands on during the process really is much more satisfying in the long run. I actually miss the work! Don't worry, you won't need to rush, it will get done and done quickly. Better that it gets done the right way. You've already made some big choices on your space from where we started, and that's good, because it is better you know now rather than later. Try to think of everything you really want in there. In the end, It will be epic!
Mfusick, BrolicBeast and snickers1 like this.
post #1163 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Beast, Unleashed [Episode 4] is live!!!

Reddig likes this.

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 07-22-2014 at 04:52 AM.
post #1164 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
The Beast, Unleashed [Episode 4] is live!!!

The Beast, Unleashed [Episode 4]: I've Been Framed! - Part 1

Love it man!! looks great! About how long do you have left to go do you think? Are you still planning on doing unboxing videos for all your gear as well? I'd love to see all of that as well.

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Auralex Great Gramma/MoPAD
Logitech Harmony One
post #1165 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Technical difficulties--for some reason, the video has made itself "unavailable" via YouTube. I'm going to get a server and will start hosting the videos myself. I'm tired of reliance on YouTube for videos to work.
post #1166 of 1919 Old 07-21-2014, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman61405 View Post
Love it man!! looks great! About how long do you have left to go do you think? Are you still planning on doing unboxing videos for all your gear as well? I'd love to see all of that as well.
Glad you like the video! Yes sir, I"ll definitely be doing unboxing videos of the gear for sure!!! This is the year of ATMOS!!!
Mfusick likes this.

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 07-22-2014 at 05:03 AM.
post #1167 of 1919 Old 07-22-2014, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

A few things. First it's a great video. It is really neat to see a totally unfinished room turn into a dedicated theater. It's amazing all the work that is being done. Second, I just had to smile and laugh a little when you said how big your "equipment room" is. That's about the size of my "theater". I was really holding back laughing at myself with that one. Also, I forget what you said the premiere night movie will be but I do know what your second movie has to be. If not second then soon after. But you HAVE to watch Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol. That movie would look incredible and sound unbelievable in your room. It's a 7.1 TRUHD track anyway. But you need to play that. Can't wait for the videos that will follow.

My System
post #1168 of 1919 Old 07-22-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Question. With your new layout, it seems like your equipment room is surrounded on 3 sides by concrete and the last side shares a wall with your theater. Normally, that "door" would have to be a louvered door, which I seriously doubt you would do considering the fact that you would hear your HVAC. How are you dealing with the "breathable" requirements there? I see you have a window, but that won't be open 24/7 will it? If you mentioned it here, I missed it.
post #1169 of 1919 Old 07-22-2014, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A few things. First it's a great video. It is really neat to see a totally unfinished room turn into a dedicated theater. It's amazing all the work that is being done. Second, I just had to smile and laugh a little when you said how big your "equipment room" is. That's about the size of my "theater". I was really holding back laughing at myself with that one. Also, I forget what you said the premiere night movie will be but I do know what your second movie has to be. If not second then soon after. But you HAVE to watch Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol. That movie would look incredible and sound unbelievable in your room. It's a 7.1 TRUHD track anyway. But you need to play that. Can't wait for the videos that will follow.
Thanks Mike! Ah, good suggestion. I have a demo disc with all of the demo-worthy scenes from that movie so I'll definitely be going through those (Kremlin explosion and tower climb). As for the movie itself, it's quite enjoyable, but I think Mission Impossible 3 was the best one. I still use the bridge attack scene aa demo material, abd the track is standard DD. Lol...I love MI3!

Quote:
Question. With your new layout, it seems like your equipment room is surrounded on 3 sides by concrete and the last side shares a wall with your theater. Normally, that "door" would have to be a louvered door, which I seriously doubt you would do considering the fact that you would hear your HVAC. How are you dealing with the "breathable" requirements there? I see you have a window, but that won't be open 24/7 will it? If you mentioned it here, I missed it.
GREAT observation. There's no more need for louvered door because I had the Hvac guys put in two air intakes to pull combustible air straight from outside (benefit of placement against an outside wall). If you look closely the latest video you'll see them to the left of the water heater, although it'll be much easier to see in episode 3. I owe you and Big for alerting me regarding the combustible air intake requirement...I knew nothing about it before you guys brought it up right after the demo.
post #1170 of 1919 Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I never saw MI 2 or MI 3 so I don't know how good they are. If you say MI 3 is good, maybe I will think about picking it up. But again, great stuff in the new video and I can't wait to see the gear videos and how you will connect everything up and EQ the room.

My System
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr