AVS Forum banner
673K views 7K replies 343 participants last post by  Ladeback 
#1 · (Edited)
2024 Update Underway: Wisdom Audio, MadVR, Stewart Directors Choice, and much more. Stay tuned!

THE BEAST, UNLEASHED: COMPLETED PHOTOS (March 2021):

On the cost of the room, here's the big kicker: This is the MSRP value of the room, which I'd say is in line with the high performance room I originally envisioned (but didn't appropriately budget for). If I didn't have great relationships with so many awesome dealers, it's what I would have had to pay...but thankfully, I paid significantly less:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#1,151 ·
Much much better use of space than before. Of course, being mostly one huge theater is always a good idea! Considering you are going all out equipment wise it makes sense to do the same everywhere else. Now you just will never be able to move! I love the desk behind the wall... I'd love my office to be accessed through a hidden wall in the theater myself!

#1,153 ·
I love the desk behind the wall... I'd love my office to be accessed through a hidden wall in the theater myself!
I can guarantee that my productivity would go to zero and 'pesky' work e-mails would be reduced to monosyllabic responses! :D

Nice job on the framing. Looking at the right wall pictures, it appears there is some sort of vertical pressure treated wood used in conjunction with clips to hold the decoupled wall in position. How did you decide to decouple your walls?

#1,161 ·
I hear ya bro...watching the vision become reality can never be taken from us! Being a part of making the vision a reality is even better. I'm counting down the days until drywall man--I'm going to take half a week off from work to make sure that part goes according to plan.

#1,163 · (Edited)
The Beast, Unleashed [Episode 4] is live!!!

#1,164 ·
#1,165 ·
Technical difficulties--for some reason, the video has made itself "unavailable" via YouTube. I'm going to get a server and will start hosting the videos myself. I'm tired of reliance on YouTube for videos to work.

#1,167 ·
A few things. First it's a great video. It is really neat to see a totally unfinished room turn into a dedicated theater. It's amazing all the work that is being done. Second, I just had to smile and laugh a little when you said how big your "equipment room" is. That's about the size of my "theater". I was really holding back laughing at myself with that one. Also, I forget what you said the premiere night movie will be but I do know what your second movie has to be. If not second then soon after. But you HAVE to watch Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol. That movie would look incredible and sound unbelievable in your room. It's a 7.1 TRUHD track anyway. But you need to play that. Can't wait for the videos that will follow.

#1,169 ·
Thanks Mike! Ah, good suggestion. I have a demo disc with all of the demo-worthy scenes from that movie so I'll definitely be going through those (Kremlin explosion and tower climb). As for the movie itself, it's quite enjoyable, but I think Mission Impossible 3 was the best one. I still use the bridge attack scene aa demo material, abd the track is standard DD. Lol...I love MI3!

Question. With your new layout, it seems like your equipment room is surrounded on 3 sides by concrete and the last side shares a wall with your theater. Normally, that "door" would have to be a louvered door, which I seriously doubt you would do considering the fact that you would hear your HVAC. How are you dealing with the "breathable" requirements there? I see you have a window, but that won't be open 24/7 will it? If you mentioned it here, I missed it.
GREAT observation. There's no more need for louvered door because I had the Hvac guys put in two air intakes to pull combustible air straight from outside (benefit of placement against an outside wall). If you look closely the latest video you'll see them to the left of the water heater, although it'll be much easier to see in episode 3. I owe you and Big for alerting me regarding the combustible air intake requirement...I knew nothing about it before you guys brought it up right after the demo.

#1,168 ·
Question. With your new layout, it seems like your equipment room is surrounded on 3 sides by concrete and the last side shares a wall with your theater. Normally, that "door" would have to be a louvered door, which I seriously doubt you would do considering the fact that you would hear your HVAC. How are you dealing with the "breathable" requirements there? I see you have a window, but that won't be open 24/7 will it? If you mentioned it here, I missed it.

#1,170 ·
I never saw MI 2 or MI 3 so I don't know how good they are. If you say MI 3 is good, maybe I will think about picking it up. But again, great stuff in the new video and I can't wait to see the gear videos and how you will connect everything up and EQ the room.

#1,177 ·
Matt, You comments always make me think it would be fun to hang out with you.

Depends though... some remixes and remasters suck. Look at Jurassic Park! I have both transfers on my HTPC in full MKV and I much prefer the original, even though the new one has additional artifical bass added to the bottom. The original is more authentic, and I actually like the film grain! The new one is so cleaned up that lines look soft.

#1,182 ·
Matt, You comments always make me think it would be fun to hang out with you.

Depends though... some remixes and remasters suck. Look at Jurassic Park! I have both transfers on my HTPC in full MKV and I much prefer the original, even though the new one has additional artifical bass added to the bottom. The original is more authentic, and I actually like the film grain! The new one is so cleaned up that lines look soft.
Ah, 'tis true. I think the remastered versions are best enjoyed visually in 3D. viewed flat-out, there is indeed an element of softness to the video. If you're ever in the DC area, we've got to link up.

I also bought Heat and I agree that the shoot out wasn't as great as I had hoped. The Ronin shoot out is a little better I think but the gun shots from those movies are nothing like gun shots from newer films. As far as Jurrasic Park goes, the BR I have is pretty good. On my TV it looks very nice and given that's its a 1993 film, the sound isn't bad either. But again, the bass can't compare with the newer films.
Heat is one of thos emovies that you need to suspend your love of A/V, and take yourself back to a time where you watched movies just for the content. It's hard to do, but can really bring satisfaction from a story perspective. Also, are you a gamer, perchance? I tell ya--I'll take a game soundtrack in DD over a Blu Ray with DTS-HDMA any day. Games are so dynamic and really flex a systems muscle with bass and other frequencies!

Master and Commander cannon shots ! On Matt's system I think you'll duck for cover when he's done.
Heh heh--with two 24" subs and six custom Seaton Submersives with dual 15" drivers, I think I might actually be in danger to shattering an ear-drum. I think I just found my first demo! heh heh---everything from the cannon shots to the wood shattering and the footsteps....that demo scene is perfect for audio. video, not so much.....but that's why there's Skyfall. heh heh.

I duck and cover in my room :eek:. I have also heard that scene in an untreated room with dual SubMerives some years ago and it was crazy :eek: :eek:. In Matt's room to be it will either leave you in a pool of your own drool, or you will run screaming from the room :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:.
The Crowsons and dual submersives made me JUMP in my last theater...now, with Atmos overhead, I won't be able to duck or jump. I'll just have to run out of the room and cry for wifey! Man, now I have the itch to hear it in Craig's room....still the best room I've ever heard.

I really wish they made more films in that book series, even if the movie they made was a mashup of several story arcs. It was a good cast, and very well made. Yes, I too love the cannon shots!
I read somewhere that the movie was supposed to be part of a trilogy based on the series. I love that movie, even without the audio excellence. Maybe we'll see Jack Aubrey return down the line, when the studios feel there's enough interest. I love period movies like that, and the authenticity seems pretty spot-on (to me, anyway; although I readily admit that I'm no expert). I know the cannon shots really showed the difference between the Axiom subs and your new Seaton Submersives!

#1,178 ·
I also bought Heat and I agree that the shoot out wasn't as great as I had hoped. The Ronin shoot out is a little better I think but the gun shots from those movies are nothing like gun shots from newer films. As far as Jurrasic Park goes, the BR I have is pretty good. On my TV it looks very nice and given that's its a 1993 film, the sound isn't bad either. But again, the bass can't compare with the newer films.

#1,180 ·
I duck and cover in my room :eek:. I have also heard that scene in an untreated room with dual SubMerives some years ago and it was crazy :eek: :eek:. In Matt's room to be it will either leave you in a pool of your own drool, or you will run screaming from the room :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:.

#1,183 ·
Master and Commander was supposed to be a series but I think the studios felt that it did not make enough and it there would be little interest. I still consider it an outstanding movie and I would have loved to seen the whole series be brought to the big screen. Obviously you want to do the demo with a DVD version and a BR.

As far as Heat goes, it is a great character filled drama that also happens to be a Crime story. A really great film all around.
And do agree that Craig has reached the top of the HT food chain. At least in my opinion from the theaters I have heard.

To your other question Matt, I am really not a big gamer. I have friends who are but I just never got into it.

#1,184 ·
I'm really leaning toward a curved screen--more perceived light-output and less light reflected to side walls. Trying to figure out if I want to build the walls to continue the curve of the screen beyond the screen border. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm definitely doing with an a-lens due to the fact that I need to maximize light-output for 3D (which I will always love).

#1,187 ·
That's what I am doing, but I only have about 18" on each side, so it's not going to be a big visual feature. I am doing it to get a more polished look without the screen edges visibly pulled away from the wall when the lights are on. With the lights off, you'd never see it.

The chord height (also called frame rise) of the arch is just under 10" for a 12' width of screen if it has a 50' radius. It's closer to 13" with a 40' radius. The best way to think about frame rise with a curved screen is if the frame was sitting face down on the floor and you measure from the floor to the highest point of the arch at the midpoint of the frame.

#1,185 ·
Would a curved screen change the overall screen size you would be able to fit in your space? I never really spent time with a curved screen so I really don't know what the advantages are. Maybe Big has some input. It looks like he has done a number of theaters. I would think though that would narrow the sweet spot for viewing wouldn't it? If I am in the last seat in the row, would I be able to see what's going on in the corner that is curved away from me? If that makes sense. Would you have to make your seats closer together so everyone could see the entire picture?

#1,186 · (Edited)
I did a curved 12 ft wide screen at curve frenzy . It doesn't really come out too much on the sides and we just built the front wall flat behind it, black velvet of course. The front of the room is pretty much a black hole so anything you do with the wall gets lost in the shadows. Soffit with rope light is another story.

#1,188 · (Edited)
I don't remember Vic's screen coming out 10 inches on each side. my memory was about 6 inches.

I just put a 600 inch radius and 144 wide screen into two different calculators and got a rise of 4.3 inches. Certainly not 10 inches.

#1,191 ·
When Matt was putting in the DW with GG between the studs I thought I heard him say something to the effect of "removing the screws after it dries and put up next layer". I meant to ask about that and forgot. I'm not sure what reminded me but I have a couple questions:

Isn't green glue only an acoustical product without any significant adhesion properties?

I was under the assumption (which could be wrong) that Green Glue never dries, which is a big part of how it operates. Years from now it's still there between the sheets and still wet and still doing that thing it does. True?

On a related side and something I've not considered, What is the proper technique for burying the screw heads into the drywall? You would not want the heads sticking up higher than the first layer surface right? If so that diminishes what the GG is doing between the layers I'd think, correct ? Is it as simple as circling back and burring them before the next layer or just using a DW countersink bit and driver up front?

#1,192 ·
When Matt was putting in the DW with GG between the studs I thought I heard him say something to the effect of "removing the screws after it dries and put up next layer". I meant to ask about that and forgot. I'm not sure what reminded me but I have a couple questions:
I don't remember removing any screws but then again I only did 2 layers of DW

#1,193 ·
i did the between the joist trick and you do not remove the screws

Reactions: Mfusick
#1,194 ·
I took the screws out of the first layer on the sidewall because those particular screw-heads sat atop the drywall and didn't sink into the drywall the way other screws do. For the joists, the screws most definitely stay in!

#1,196 ·
That's what I thought.

But it's important to drive the screws in a method that they do not protrude beyond the face of the first layer or make contact with the second right? That's the space for the GG. Is there a special trick to driving the screws or do you just drive them in enough not to stick up, similar to if you were going to DW compound over the screw hole ? I noticed some of his were sticking up still, but ideally you want them buried right?