Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #1231 of 1243 Old 07-30-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I should have worded that more carefully. I did not mean a step down in subs because clearly your are not lacking there. I meant would you have to step down in your projector choice for the time being so you can do everything you want to do(personal and HT wise).

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1243 Old 07-30-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Matt,

subs is something you can add later. I am. Start with something. Build on it when you get more $$$. That's fun anyways and something to look forward to after your theater is "completed"

4 subs is still "enough" to start and let's be honest even if you add four more it's still not "enough" because "too much is almost enough"right ?

4 Subs will sound great. 8 will sound better. Adding smoothing even better. After all that you could add 32 more This isn't a one lap race, so no reason you need it all upfront. Just design the room to accommodate adding more at a later date easily with location, pre wireing, etc..

I just learned this:
In case you are wondering how loud your home theater has to be to blow girls clothes off: Need help designing serious bass solution for a big theater..horns vs ported or both?

235db !

hmmm.... Scratch that off my bucket list

Haha!.

But seriously your theater is going to be amazing and BTW your thread is going to have 100k views before you install a carpet. Well done on that too.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1233 of 1243 Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Matt,

subs is something you can add later. I am. Start with something. Build on it when you get more $$$. That's fun anyways and something to look forward to after your theater is "completed"

4 subs is still "enough" to start and let's be honest even if you add four more it's still not "enough" because "too much is almost enough"right ?

4 Subs will sound great. 8 will sound better. Adding smoothing even better. After all that you could add 32 more This isn't a one lap race, so no reason you need it all upfront. Just design the room to accommodate adding more at a later date easily with location, pre wireing, etc..

I just learned this:
In case you are wondering how loud your home theater has to be to blow girls clothes off: Need help designing serious bass solution for a big theater..horns vs ported or both?

235db !

hmmm.... Scratch that off my bucket list

Haha!.

But seriously your theater is going to be amazing and BTW your thread is going to have 100k views before you install a carpet. Well done on that too.
HAHAHAA@100k views before carpet!!! That's funny. I appreciate the support on this build---it's a stressful one. I have to call a structural engineer to draw up plans for widening a doorway in a load-bearing wall. Honestly, I'm sick and tired on spending money on things not related to actual theater construction. But hey--when one dreams a lofty dream, one cannot let minor obstacles interrupt the path leading from dream to reality. Thus Sunday I plan to make a serious dent in the double drywall between the joists. I haven't really had the time to do that, but I need to do it before we start wiring.
post #1234 of 1243 Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I hear you. That sucks. If it's any consolation I removed the entire load bearing wall between my kitchen and dining room (half the house) myself and just guessed at the beam lol. Not advising that. But it's still fine 10 years later. I just figured 4 2x12's would be enough for a 15ft span. I might be wrong ... lol We'll see if it falls down. (joking) But you could just skip the engineer part and grab some engineered beams that are in clear excess of the strength you need and throw them up. It would save you cash, even overspending on the beam. The beams are not much $$$. They suspend crazy things with them over long spans so while I don't know your space I suspect it would be sufficient. Excess wins! Look for "LVL" (Laminated Veneer Lumber) beams or ask your local lumber yard for an engineered beam and explain what you are doing they can get you a quick quote. I've seen some really huge home with long spans get held up by stuff like that so I'd be confident in it's ability. Especially over a short span.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1235 of 1243 Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 537

here is the wall in question and unfortunately the soffit obsures the view. All of the ceiling joists which end at the stair well sit on the wall, two additional short joists at the top of the stairs are hidden from view. they sit directly above the double studs on the right side of the door way. In retrospect that wall probably should have additional cross blocking given the number of joists resting on it.

We want to widen that doorway. It is currently only large enough for a 24 inch door and not big enough to remove the water heater from the basement. I think we can put an appropriate size header spanning the wider door, but I'm not going to make the structural determination.

The surgery required isn't going to be a cake walk as the under stairs area is drywalled and the then there is the existing soffit framing on this side.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; Yesterday at 06:13 PM.
post #1236 of 1243 Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh I see. Nice pic. I agree with you on making the determination. It's once thing if a home owner decides something, but I wouldn't do it in your shoes either.

I can't really see past the soffit but I am assuming this is all on the other side of that soffit ? (how do you spell "soffit" ?)

Jeff, are you doing this work or is this being subbed out ?

-

post #1237 of 1243 Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Beast and I will probably do it once we have a consultants plan.
post #1238 of 1243 Old Today, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Beast, do you recall the product name of the lense you bought from Edmonds Optics for your hushbox?? I am building one and am having trouble finding that product on their website. Thanks.
post #1239 of 1243 Old Today, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
I should have worded that more carefully. I did not mean a step down in subs because clearly your are not lacking there. I meant would you have to step down in your projector choice for the time being so you can do everything you want to do(personal and HT wise).
Yup! 'Tis correct! We'll see what happens though. CEDIA will let me know quite a bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post
Beast, do you recall the product name of the lense you bought from Edmonds Optics for your hushbox?? I am building one and am having trouble finding that product on their website. Thanks.
Sure, here it is: http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/w...windows/43-973
post #1240 of 1243 Old Today, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Where is your build thread?

-

post #1241 of 1243 Old Today, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Where is your build thread?
Shhh... Mfusick... It's a secret. You never saw me here.
post #1242 of 1243 Old Today, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Beast, this will come in handy.
post #1243 of 1243 Old Today, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Shhh... Mfusick... It's a secret. You never saw me here.
lol. I was expecting you to say the Mediabrowser forums.

-

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page