121Likes

post #1231 of 1518 Old 07-30-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Matt,

subs is something you can add later. I am. Start with something. Build on it when you get more $$$. That's fun anyways and something to look forward to after your theater is "completed"

4 subs is still "enough" to start and let's be honest even if you add four more it's still not "enough" because "too much is almost enough"right ?

4 Subs will sound great. 8 will sound better. Adding smoothing even better. After all that you could add 32 more This isn't a one lap race, so no reason you need it all upfront. Just design the room to accommodate adding more at a later date easily with location, pre wireing, etc..

I just learned this:
In case you are wondering how loud your home theater has to be to blow girls clothes off: Need help designing serious bass solution for a big theater..horns vs ported or both?

235db !

hmmm.... Scratch that off my bucket list

Haha!.

But seriously your theater is going to be amazing and BTW your thread is going to have 100k views before you install a carpet. Well done on that too.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1518 Old 07-31-2014, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Matt,

subs is something you can add later. I am. Start with something. Build on it when you get more $$$. That's fun anyways and something to look forward to after your theater is "completed"

4 subs is still "enough" to start and let's be honest even if you add four more it's still not "enough" because "too much is almost enough"right ?

4 Subs will sound great. 8 will sound better. Adding smoothing even better. After all that you could add 32 more This isn't a one lap race, so no reason you need it all upfront. Just design the room to accommodate adding more at a later date easily with location, pre wireing, etc..

I just learned this:
In case you are wondering how loud your home theater has to be to blow girls clothes off: Need help designing serious bass solution for a big theater..horns vs ported or both?

235db !

hmmm.... Scratch that off my bucket list

Haha!.

But seriously your theater is going to be amazing and BTW your thread is going to have 100k views before you install a carpet. Well done on that too.
HAHAHAA@100k views before carpet!!! That's funny. I appreciate the support on this build---it's a stressful one. I have to call a structural engineer to draw up plans for widening a doorway in a load-bearing wall. Honestly, I'm sick and tired on spending money on things not related to actual theater construction. But hey--when one dreams a lofty dream, one cannot let minor obstacles interrupt the path leading from dream to reality. Thus Sunday I plan to make a serious dent in the double drywall between the joists. I haven't really had the time to do that, but I need to do it before we start wiring.

The Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The System:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1233 of 1518 Old 07-31-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I hear you. That sucks. If it's any consolation I removed the entire load bearing wall between my kitchen and dining room (half the house) myself and just guessed at the beam lol. Not advising that. But it's still fine 10 years later. I just figured 4 2x12's would be enough for a 15ft span. I might be wrong ... lol We'll see if it falls down. (joking) But you could just skip the engineer part and grab some engineered beams that are in clear excess of the strength you need and throw them up. It would save you cash, even overspending on the beam. The beams are not much $$$. They suspend crazy things with them over long spans so while I don't know your space I suspect it would be sufficient. Excess wins! Look for "LVL" (Laminated Veneer Lumber) beams or ask your local lumber yard for an engineered beam and explain what you are doing they can get you a quick quote. I've seen some really huge home with long spans get held up by stuff like that so I'd be confident in it's ability. Especially over a short span.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1234 of 1518 Old 07-31-2014, 06:07 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 607

here is the wall in question and unfortunately the soffit obsures the view. All of the ceiling joists which end at the stair well sit on the wall, two additional short joists at the top of the stairs are hidden from view. they sit directly above the double studs on the right side of the door way. In retrospect that wall probably should have additional cross blocking given the number of joists resting on it.

We want to widen that doorway. It is currently only large enough for a 24 inch door and not big enough to remove the water heater from the basement. I think we can put an appropriate size header spanning the wider door, but I'm not going to make the structural determination.

The surgery required isn't going to be a cake walk as the under stairs area is drywalled and the then there is the existing soffit framing on this side.

PROJECTS:

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 07-31-2014 at 06:13 PM.
post #1235 of 1518 Old 07-31-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh I see. Nice pic. I agree with you on making the determination. It's once thing if a home owner decides something, but I wouldn't do it in your shoes either.

I can't really see past the soffit but I am assuming this is all on the other side of that soffit ? (how do you spell "soffit" ?)

Jeff, are you doing this work or is this being subbed out ?

-

post #1236 of 1518 Old 07-31-2014, 06:32 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Beast and I will probably do it once we have a consultants plan.

PROJECTS:

post #1237 of 1518 Old 08-01-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Beast, do you recall the product name of the lense you bought from Edmonds Optics for your hushbox?? I am building one and am having trouble finding that product on their website. Thanks.
post #1238 of 1518 Old 08-01-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
I should have worded that more carefully. I did not mean a step down in subs because clearly your are not lacking there. I meant would you have to step down in your projector choice for the time being so you can do everything you want to do(personal and HT wise).
Yup! 'Tis correct! We'll see what happens though. CEDIA will let me know quite a bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post
Beast, do you recall the product name of the lense you bought from Edmonds Optics for your hushbox?? I am building one and am having trouble finding that product on their website. Thanks.
Sure, here it is: http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/w...windows/43-973

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1239 of 1518 Old 08-01-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Where is your build thread?

-

post #1240 of 1518 Old 08-01-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Where is your build thread?
Shhh... Mfusick... It's a secret. You never saw me here.
post #1241 of 1518 Old 08-01-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Beast, this will come in handy.
post #1242 of 1518 Old 08-01-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Shhh... Mfusick... It's a secret. You never saw me here.
lol. I was expecting you to say the Mediabrowser forums.

-

post #1243 of 1518 Old 08-02-2014, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Playing around with riser design. A single rectangular riser just won't do. Any thoughts on the steps (or anything else regarding the riser)?

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1244 of 1518 Old 08-03-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Cool idea. A tad dark to see. Lighten it up.

One thought is the curve ends too soon so if your are entering the second row from the side you end up taking a double step. Continue the curve a little farth back so the step is on the side too.

REEDZONE had a nice riser design. Ever seen it ?

-

post #1245 of 1518 Old 08-03-2014, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cool idea. A tad dark to see. Lighten it up.

One thought is the curve ends too soon so if your are entering the second row from the side you end up taking a double step. Continue the curve a little farth back so the step is on the side too.

REEDZONE had a nice riser design. Ever seen it ?
Great advice! I'll work on the riser design (and lighten up the pic tomorrow). I haven't heard of the reedzone riser....ill need to search for that,
post #1246 of 1518 Old 08-03-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Today was spent doing HW from Big: digging-in on the drywall between joists operation. Got the first layer drywall pieces cut today....that was tough, but not as tough as the second layer will be. tomorrow the Mrs. and I will be loading green glue onto these dusty rectangles and attsching layer one to the subfloor. All of layer 2 won't get done this week, but the perimeter will have two layers for framing purposes, amd I'll work on the middle of the ceiling after next Sunday's activity.
post #1247 of 1518 Old 08-04-2014, 06:41 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Today was spent doing HW from Big: digging-in on the drywall between joists operation. Got the first layer drywall pieces cut today....that was tough, but not as tough as the second layer will be. tomorrow the Mrs. and I will be loading green glue onto these dusty rectangles and attsching layer one to the subfloor. All of layer 2 won't get done this week, but the perimeter will have two layers for framing purposes, amd I'll work on the middle of the ceiling after next Sunday's activity.
i remember doing that also ...you look at and think ah this will be nothing will get it done fast....Wrong!!!

Falcon Screens

post #1248 of 1518 Old 08-04-2014, 06:56 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
I HATED doing this part of the project in my theater. Good luck to you!
snickers1 likes this.

post #1249 of 1518 Old 08-04-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
i remember doing that also ...you look at and think ah this will be nothing will get it done fast....Wrong!!!
lol, man, although I expected the tedium associated with the task, I didnt anticipate just how long it would take. And after layer one, we get to do it all over again! Lol....but hey, I view these challenges as rites of passage! I'm not the first, and I shan't be the last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
I HATED doing this part of the project in my theater. Good luck to you!
I totally understand the hatred behind the task! It's makes a person think things like "one or two footfalls from above wouldn't be thaaaaat bad." Lol....but then I remember the "TURN-IT-DOWN!" horror stories, and I keep pushing forward!
BllDo likes this.
post #1250 of 1518 Old 08-04-2014, 09:07 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
lol, man, although I expected the tedium associated with the task, I didnt anticipate just how long it would take. And after layer one, we get to do it all over again! Lol....but hey, I view these challenges as rites of passage! I'm not the first, and I shan't be the last.

I totally understand the hatred behind the task! It's makes a person think things like "one or two footfalls from above wouldn't be thaaaaat bad." Lol....but then I remember the "TURN-IT-DOWN!" horror stories, and I keep pushing forward!

be careful around your sprinklers and make sure when you get them lowered your there to watch the work be done ..my friend has started his theater and is doing clips and channel and two layers of DW so the sprinkler obviously needs to be lowered. the guy came out broke a pipe panicked cut a nasty whole in the adjacent bathroom ceiling to fix his mistake...needless to say the sprinkler head work was done for free ..... tips though the cost should be 100$ and hour min 2 hours and if you have 3 to 4 heads in your space he should be done within 1.5 hours if they know what there doing. I will not recommend the guy my friend used to you for the obvious reasons .... just thought you maybe happy to hear that this modification to your room should not cost you a small fortune. also if they are nice they will give the cups that go around the sprinkler heads.

Falcon Screens

post #1251 of 1518 Old 08-04-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Is sprinkler system required as code in a basement? Or is this just a premium option ? Seems like sprinklers spraying your gear and carpet is as much a detrimental threat as a real fire. In the event of a small house fire would an activated sprinkler system and the damages from that be covered by insurance?

-

post #1252 of 1518 Old 08-04-2014, 09:43 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Yeah, just put in a Halon fire suppression system....it would probably only cost as much as your entire house!

post #1253 of 1518 Old 08-04-2014, 10:03 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Is sprinkler system required as code in a basement? Or is this just a premium option ? Seems like sprinklers spraying your gear and carpet is as much a detrimental threat as a real fire. In the event of a small house fire would an activated sprinkler system and the damages from that be covered by insurance?
its code for Maryland no way getting around it .... also they have strict rules on there spacing.

Falcon Screens

post #1254 of 1518 Old 08-04-2014, 10:05 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Yeah, just put in a Halon fire suppression system....it would probably only cost as much as your entire house!

and i think those systems are usually used in server farms and are under the raised floors? but yep $$$$$$$$$$

Falcon Screens

post #1255 of 1518 Old 08-04-2014, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Maybe I can just attach weights to the handles of fire extinguishers and suspend them by a melt-ready cable. Heat melts the cable, weight swings against handle, fire extinguishers put out fire. Wait....this started as a joke, but now it sounds like I'm actually thinking this through. Stop me, somebody!

A bit cave-man-esque, to be sure. Of course, there's lots more to do in the town of bedrock...like invent a circular device capable of rolling and, when used in conjunction with others of its type, carrying carts and humans.
post #1256 of 1518 Old 08-04-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Or let your house burn...

-

post #1257 of 1518 Old 08-04-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
its code for Maryland no way getting around it .... also they have strict rules on there spacing.
You guys have a lot of fires or something? That's not around here. It doesn't seem like house fires are very common either. I almost never hear of any.

-

post #1258 of 1518 Old 08-04-2014, 11:57 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
You guys have a lot of fires or something? That's not around here. It doesn't seem like house fires are very common either. I almost never hear of any.
Its a Maryland thing , I'm in Virginia... not sure why they have that rule/code there you would think it be something for California where there are a lot brush fires and stuff.

Falcon Screens

post #1259 of 1518 Old 08-04-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 79
They were trying to push it through it Minnesota. I think the bill finally died, thankfully.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #1260 of 1518 Old 08-04-2014, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Trust me, you will hate the sandbags more!!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page