Forum Jump: 
 127Likes

post #1381 of 1557 Old 08-26-2014, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 311
For anyone interested in my evolution from a plasma TV living room setup to dedicated home theater, see below

The Road that Led Here: My Home Theater Evolution: 2009 - Present

Early 2009: My First Theater Setup

Late 2009: Transformation to First Projection System:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

2011: Settled into Projection

2012: MAJOR UPDATE TO DEDICATED ROOM

Then, I discovered high-end in 2013:

2014: Now, I'm building my DREAM THEATER!

The Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The System:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1557 Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I spent about 45 minutes in the theater shell, planning and plotting, and I have decided: the equipment will go in the theater lobby within six feet of the electrical panels. This is so I can load media when necessary before entering the theater, but a benefit is that electrical runs now and in the future will be super short (easy?). I also think I'm going to skip the front soffit and go mega-16:9 IMAX style, but with a default masking down to the 2:35 size per Nyal's layout. Also....I got some ideas on disguising the doors from the inside: treatment panels that slide across and push in to be flush with the wall. The result: no visible doors in the room. Claustrophobes need not apply.
post #1383 of 1557 Old 08-27-2014, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Please define "mega-16:9 IMAX style . How big are we talking about. I can't wait to see this screen and maybe a video on how the masking panels work. Pretty cool about treatments that slide across the door. When I first started trying to work on my room, I first got a solid core door with Celotex fiberboard wrapped in cloth.
http://www.celotex.co.uk/
Plus a sweep on the bottom of the door. It may not be as nice as what you are doing but all of those things gave me about a 2-3db increase of spl in the room. I am sure your door is pretty solid because it is one of the biggest places for sound to leak from. Besides the outlets.

Looking forward to more updates.

It ain't easy being green.

post #1384 of 1557 Old 08-27-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
. I am sure your door is pretty solid because it is one of the biggest places for sound to leak from. Besides the outlets.

At least in my room the door(s) are by far the largest spot for sound transmission. Solid core doors help but if you want the best, dual doors with a space in between is the way to go if you can.

R 8:28

post #1385 of 1557 Old 08-27-2014, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
At least in my room the door(s) are by far the largest spot for sound transmission. Solid core doors help but if you want the best, dual doors with a space in between is the way to go if you can.
In another life maybe . But now, this will have to do.

post #1386 of 1557 Old 08-27-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 467
subscribed!
as I will be closing on my new home soon (hopfully this week, keeps getting delayed)

your vidds are great cant wait to see more...and you seem like someone I want to hang out with haha

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
post #1387 of 1557 Old 08-27-2014, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Please define "mega-16:9 IMAX style . How big are we talking about. I can't wait to see this screen and maybe a video on how the masking panels work. Pretty cool about treatments that slide across the door. When I first started trying to work on my room, I first got a solid core door with Celotex fiberboard wrapped in cloth.
http://www.celotex.co.uk/
Plus a sweep on the bottom of the door. It may not be as nice as what you are doing but all of those things gave me about a 2-3db increase of spl in the room. I am sure your door is pretty solid because it is one of the biggest places for sound to leak from. Besides the outlets.

Keeping 12 foot wide, but expanding height from 2:35 to 16:9 AR! That, plus the curved configuration should offer (at least for the front row) an unobstructed IMAX-esque experience. When second row is in use, I'll stick with 2:35 for sure.

Quote:
Quote:
In another life maybe . But now, this will have to do.
Gentlemen, the plan is for DUAL SOLID CORE DOORS with two plywood and green-glue layers tacked onto each door. aboiut 9: of space between the doors. I'm going all-the-way!!! I also have the automatic door bottoms and sound proofing jambs from The Soundproofing Company! Minimal sound leakage is the goal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
subscribed!
as I will be closing on my new home soon (hopfully this week, keeps getting delayed)

your vidds are great cant wait to see more...and you seem like someone I want to hang out with haha

Greetings! Ah, excellent and a pre-closing congrats I bid unto thee--there's something invigorating about building a new theater in a new home! What are your plans so far? Glad you like the vids and if youu're ever in the DC area, let me know! I don't talk much (I'm an introvert) but I can nod the heck out of a conversation! lol.
post #1388 of 1557 Old 08-27-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Dual doors with GG. I guess that's the way to do it right. Dayum. That's going to be one big screen. One of the biggest screens I have seen listed here was a 164" 2.37 screen. That works out to about 12 feet but yours should be enormous because it's 16x9. Now I really hope I can make it down there to check out your system. That is, if I am invited .

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 08-27-2014 at 06:24 AM.
post #1389 of 1557 Old 08-27-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Question

I need to modify my previous post about door leakage. Because our home has only one HVAC system for 2 floors, all duct work ends up at the same place. This is not a "custom" home so no modifications were allowed during construction. Had they even allowed me to replace the duct work they were using with acoustically lined ductwork, it would have been much less of an issue. As a result, and as one might expect, sound does leak from the theater to, in particular, the vents in the master bedroom bath and closet.

Fortunatley, I can listen to music at night when my bride has gone to bed but ANYTHING with any serous bass in it is strictly off limits, which, unfortunately, includes most of the movie genre I like. I can say fairly safely, that no amount of construction, including triple drywall (I did 2), clips and channels, solid steel doors, floating floor or separate AC units would stop the prodigious amount of air that moves in that theater on action flicks at reference minus 5 with almost 10,000 watts of power driving 8 15 inch drivers and another 3,000 watts of power driving the 6 12 inch drivers in the LCR's.

A room within a room in a basement and having no common walls with any of the other structure might work but being on a second floor, not a shot.

The good news: I will NEVER need to purchase seat activators !!

Matt: you are very blessed (in many ways) to be able to do what you are doing in your new home and theater. Don't forget it. You are blessed !!!

R 8:28

Last edited by audioguy; 08-27-2014 at 06:22 AM. Reason: iving
post #1390 of 1557 Old 08-27-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Greetings! Ah, excellent and a pre-closing congrats I bid unto thee--there's something invigorating about building a new theater in a new home! What are your plans so far? Glad you like the vids and if youu're ever in the DC area, let me know! I don't talk much (I'm an introvert) but I can nod the heck out of a conversation! lol.
thanks!! its been a loooong road to get this tyhing to close (been ready for a month now) just tons of dumb paperwork...

plans so far are for this area of my unfinished basement to be the small HT (seating for 2 for now then add a row of non reclining chairs behind on a riser) the total area is 11.5'x16'x7'...note this is not including the 3' or so behind the false AT wall I am building in the front

I plan on going with a 2.35 120" wide AT spandex DIY screen..first row of 2 reclining HT seats will be about 9-10' from screen..and using all presebnt gear in my sig. I have a panny ae8000 already waiting to be setup

My build thread I started is in my sig.

glad to be on this journey with you

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
post #1391 of 1557 Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
They must have used some super-industrial electrical panels for my house...I have a whopping 32 available breaker slots across two 150amp panels. I'm going to do a sketch-up draft later this week on the two possible rack locations. The rack locations determines a lot, from how.much romex I need, to the need for a sub-panel- amd the layout of the HT lobby.
Yeah, I only had a single 200A panel, which was mostly full.

So you have 2 separate 150A circuits coming into your house? Yikes at your power bill.

My Home Theater Build:
post #1392 of 1557 Old 08-27-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Dual doors with GG. I guess that's the way to do it right. Dayum. That's going to be one big screen. One of the biggest screens I have seen listed here was a 164" 2.37 screen. That works out to about 12 feet but yours should be enormous because it's 16x9. Now I really hope I can make it down there to check out your system. That is, if I am invited .
Yup--shooting for IMAX man! Of course you're invited!

Quote:
I need to modify my previous post about door leakage. Because our home has only one HVAC system for 2 floors, all duct work ends up at the same place. This is not a "custom" home so no modifications were allowed during construction. Had they even allowed me to replace the duct work they were using with acoustically lined ductwork, it would have been much less of an issue. As a result, and as one might expect, sound does leak from the theater to, in particular, the vents in the master bedroom bath and closet.

Fortunatley, I can listen to music at night when my bride has gone to bed but ANYTHING with any serous bass in it is strictly off limits, which, unfortunately, includes most of the movie genre I like. I can say fairly safely, that no amount of construction, including triple drywall (I did 2), clips and channels, solid steel doors, floating floor or separate AC units would stop the prodigious amount of air that moves in that theater on action flicks at reference minus 5 with almost 10,000 watts of power driving 8 15 inch drivers and another 3,000 watts of power driving the 6 12 inch drivers in the LCR's.

A room within a room in a basement and having no common walls with any of the other structure might work but being on a second floor, not a shot.

The good news: I will NEVER need to purchase seat activators !!

Matt: you are very blessed (in many ways) to be able to do what you are doing in your new home and theater. Don't forget it. You are blessed !!!
Oh I don't forget for a second just how blessed I am. I never thought I'd be able to build my dedicated theater at this point in my life, but God is working and He cannot be stopped. Not just with the theater, but the house, career, marriage, etc.

Man, that no-bass limitation has got to be hard. There is a solution that might work though. Ya see, I have a bit of a loud snore' Think "WotW pod-emergence scene" loud (my wife recorded me to prove she wasn't exaggerating). so I got her some construction-grade ear plugs that look and feel like the earbuds you find from Shure (narrow, go deep into ear). That works quite well when she remembers to put them in. If your Mrs. tries out those ear-plugs, I suspect you'll be able to get away with some bass in your theater for sure!

Quote:
thanks!! its been a loooong road to get this tyhing to close (been ready for a month now) just tons of dumb paperwork...

plans so far are for this area of my unfinished basement to be the small HT (seating for 2 for now then add a row of non reclining chairs behind on a riser) the total area is 11.5'x16'x7'...note this is not including the 3' or so behind the false AT wall I am building in the front

I plan on going with a 2.35 120" wide AT spandex DIY screen..first row of 2 reclining HT seats will be about 9-10' from screen..and using all presebnt gear in my sig. I have a panny ae8000 already waiting to be setup

My build thread I started is in my sig.

glad to be on this journey with you
Your room is the exact width that a room adjacent to my theater is. I thought long and hard about making it the theater (It would have been so much easier), but ened up decided to tread the most difficult path. 120" is a GREAT screen size. My last screen was that size, and it was very immersive. I sat 12 feet away from it, and just melted into the picture! I see you've already had quite some time with your screen, so you know exactly what I'm talking about! Smart move getting that light-cannon projector! @snickers1 uses one, and it throws a great picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Yeah, I only had a single 200A panel, which was mostly full.

So you have 2 separate 150A circuits coming into your house? Yikes at your power bill.
LOL, oh my wife makes sure the power bill is low. She, bless her heart, will stumble through the house sometimes to avoid "wasteful use of light." lol....VERY different from what I'm used to, but when my mother in law came to visit, I saw exactly where she gets it from. lol. Anytime she the in-law something that had a power source: "you guys should unplug that--save some energy, no?" lol....it's true what they say about adjusting to another family when you get married! I've agreed to adopt her energy-conservation practices because once the theater is up and running, I'll ned to save every ounce of energy I can muster.
post #1393 of 1557 Old 08-27-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yup--shooting for IMAX man! Of course you're invited!
Cool. I can't wait. I am interested in how the front baffle will look with those great Triad speakers up front.
Do you still have the Sony projector or are you waiting to see what else is out closer to when the install of the projector would be. Plus I am still interested in if you are going for a dedicated preamp or not. If not, I am very curious to how that all works. I am a real novice when it comes to a lot of this stuff .

post #1394 of 1557 Old 08-27-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

your going AT correct? are you buying a prefab screen or DIY?

only thing I will REALLY need help with is the electrical runs...my father in law built houses (including the one he lives in) so i have a GREAT resource for help

My first HT build thread
post #1395 of 1557 Old 08-28-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cool. I can't wait. I am interested in how the front baffle will look with those great Triad speakers up front.
Do you still have the Sony projector or are you waiting to see what else is out closer to when the install of the projector would be. Plus I am still interested in if you are going for a dedicated preamp or not. If not, I am very curious to how that all works. I am a real novice when it comes to a lot of this stuff .
I sold the Sony projector a couple of months ago, but I expect some hot new announcements next month. If not, then I'll just a used Sim2 to rock my screen until something revolutionary comes along! I'm definitely going with a dedicated PreAmp, for sure! Mike, you're no novice--I've seen you solve some complex issues over on the WYSC forum here on AVS!

Quote:
your going AT correct? are you buying a prefab screen or DIY?

only thing I will REALLY need help with is the electrical runs...my father in law built houses (including the one he lives in) so i have a GREAT resource for help
Definitely going AT with a curved screen and frame. Yeah, you have the ULTIMATE resource! Nothing says "I know what I'm doing" like living in what you built! lol.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1396 of 1557 Old 08-29-2014, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I sold the Sony projector a couple of months ago, but I expect some hot new announcements next month. If not, then I'll just a used Sim2 to rock my screen until something revolutionary comes along! I'm definitely going with a dedicated PreAmp, for sure! Mike, you're no novice--I've seen you solve some complex issues over on the WYSC forum here on AVS!
Thanks Matt. I try . I only asked about the preamp because I wasn't sure if you were going to try and run everything through a server. Also, I remember you saying something about drawing power directly from your house and that way you would not need external amps? Did I understand that right or are you still using the amps you have now. I am interested in what preamp you end up with, but knowing the level of this theater, I have an idea.

Sim makes good stuff. I am sure that it will be a nice projector if nothing happens next month. My friend has one of the "lower", older models and I think the pic looks great on his 84in screen.

post #1397 of 1557 Old 08-30-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
subscribed Avs & youtube

Can't wait until its finish bro.......I like the fact that you not cutting any corners & truly making sure it become The Beast. Now how much movies tickets going to be...

Vizio- M501D
Yamaha-RX-V675
SONY-PS4
Klipsch- F30,SUB12, C20
post #1398 of 1557 Old 08-31-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
I've agreed to adopt her energy-conservation practices because once the theater is up and running, I'll ned to save every ounce of energy I can muster.

Funny that you say that because I get a weekly energy cost update from my energy provider and I can see what days I use my theater because there is a spike in cost that day. I didn't think that I would be able to tell, but I can.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #1399 of 1557 Old 09-01-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Funny that you say that because I get a weekly energy cost update from my energy provider and I can see what days I use my theater because there is a spike in cost that day. I didn't think that I would be able to tell, but I can.

Who is your energy provider doing that ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1400 of 1557 Old 09-01-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Who is your energy provider doing that ?
Champion Energy. I have heard of other companies doing the same thing such as Reliant.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #1401 of 1557 Old 09-01-2014, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Matt. I try . I only asked about the preamp because I wasn't sure if you were going to try and run everything through a server. Also, I remember you saying something about drawing power directly from your house and that way you would not need external amps? Did I understand that right or are you still using the amps you have now. I am interested in what preamp you end up with, but knowing the level of this theater, I have an idea.

Sim makes good stuff. I am sure that it will be a nice projector if nothing happens next month. My friend has one of the "lower", older models and I think the pic looks great on his 84in screen.
Well, I'm on the fence about the sub-to-panel electrical run, as opposed to sub-to-amp-to-panel run. But either way, the subs will never touch a receptacle! Man, the second I figure out I can afford it, I'll be sure to get a Pre/Pro that can handle all 17 channels in my theater. CEDIA will shine a lot more light on what I end up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
subscribed Avs & youtube

Can't wait until its finish bro.......I like the fact that you not cutting any corners & truly making sure it become The Beast. Now how much movies tickets going to be...
Thanks Nexgen--cutting corners is the worst way to do anything. It sucks that I've had to spend so much on changing the basement, but we love this house the way we built it! Just didn't know enough about theater building when we built the place earlier this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Oh I definitely can tell as well. The power draw is definitely noticeable......BUT WITH ALL YOUR SUBS, HECK YEAH IT MUST BE NOTICEABLE!!! lol....You have world-shakers just inches from your seatbacks! lol.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1402 of 1557 Old 09-01-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my theater seats and my spandex for screen in. Now to build the screen

BeSt any updates?
post #1403 of 1557 Old 09-02-2014, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Got my theater seats and my spandex for screen in. Now to build the screen

BeSt any updates?
See, when I think of spandex and theater seats in the same sentence, I imagine spandex coming off and theater seats getting their cushions tested....but i digress...lol

Seriously though, I'm glad you're one step closer. As I've learned, even small steps are big when there are many steps to go. No updates this weekend, as it was spent doing lots of family bonding. But this week I hope to wrap up layer one of drywall between joists, and one of these days I'm going to need to transport my scap wood to the dumpster. There's a lot of it!

Does anyone know if storing wood on grass is a bad thing? I want to houst the scraps outside and place them against the rear wall of the house, but I on't want to invite termites, ants, etc. to think my house location is prime real-estate.
post #1404 of 1557 Old 09-02-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Scraps temporarily are fine but any wood invites termites, unless it is treated. But if you have sticks, trees, wood chips, yard debris .. That stuff is basically same in that regard.

I don't think piling wood scraps for a short period before you handle them invites termites into your home, you'd either have them or not have them anyways.
post #1405 of 1557 Old 09-02-2014, 05:33 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Depending on how long it is there it may kill the grass.

PROJECTS:

post #1406 of 1557 Old 09-02-2014, 05:36 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Does anyone know if storing wood on grass is a bad thing?
I wouldn't store them outside and still expect them to be usable. Moisture and humidity - not to mention the sun - can really warp the boards.

At worst, I'd find a spot in the garage, use a bit of scrap blocking to lay down a bed of full studs while keeping them off the floor, then organize the scraps on top.

But ideally just find an out-of-the-way home for the scraps in the basement - maybe by the mechanical room so they are out of the way but still accessible.

post #1407 of 1557 Old 09-02-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah don't store good lumber on the grass. No way.

I always end up just burning my scraps. It's easy. Cheap.
post #1408 of 1557 Old 09-02-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
See, when I think of spandex and theater seats in the same sentence, I imagine spandex coming off and theater seats getting their cushions tested....but i digress...lol

Seriously though, I'm glad you're one step closer. As I've learned, even small steps are big when there are many steps to go. No updates this weekend, as it was spent doing lots of family bonding. But this week I hope to wrap up layer one of drywall between joists, and one of these days I'm going to need to transport my scap wood to the dumpster. There's a lot of it!

Does anyone know if storing wood on grass is a bad thing? I want to houst the scraps outside and place them against the rear wall of the house, but I on't want to invite termites, ants, etc. to think my house location is prime real-estate.
thanks!! very excited to get hings setup and usable...that way I can save $$ properly and do things right...but not feel ancy since i cant watch movies...yes it will be a little pain when Im ready to frame and drywall as I will have to unhook everything...but for now ( a few months of use) its worth it to me,....

as for the scraps I agree with everyone else....i would NOT do it...for simply killiong the grass...but also for the pests and warping

My first HT build thread
post #1409 of 1557 Old 09-02-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you have a harbor freight near you they are literally giving away for free a tarp that would work well for storing scrap pile, or moving it. It's a coupon in the circular, just use it and leave with the tarp (no purchase necessary) Fold it up and throw it in trash when you get time to dispose of it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1410 of 1557 Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You could be like my neighbor who is obviously finishing his basement and had home depot drop off a huge pallet of 2x4s and 3 huge pallets of drywall wrapped up in plastic on his front driveway...

...and then proceeded to leave the drywall sitting outside for like 3 weeks at this point. I can't imagine that its any good at this point after all the rain and everything we've had, regardless of how well they wrapped it up.

My Home Theater Build:
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page