The Beast, Unleashed - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 94Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1381 of 1395 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoboh View Post
wow very exciting to watch i loved the stress tests
LOL @jjoboh , the stress tests are the most fun
BrolicBeast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1382 of 1395 Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 293
For anyone interested in my evolution from a plasma TV living room setup to dedicated home theater, see below

The Road that Led Here: My Home Theater Evolution: 2009 - Present

Early 2009: My First Theater Setup

Late 2009: Transformation to First Projection System:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

2011: Settled into Projection

2012: MAJOR UPDATE TO DEDICATED ROOM

Then, I discovered high-end in 2013:




2014: Now, I'm building my DREAM THEATER!
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #1383 of 1395 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I spent about 45 minutes in the theater shell, planning and plotting, and I have decided: the equipment will go in the theater lobby within six feet of the electrical panels. This is so I can load media when necessary before entering the theater, but a benefit is that electrical runs now and in the future will be super short (easy?). I also think I'm going to skip the front soffit and go mega-16:9 IMAX style, but with a default masking down to the 2:35 size per Nyal's layout. Also....I got some ideas on disguising the doors from the inside: treatment panels that slide across and push in to be flush with the wall. The result: no visible doors in the room. Claustrophobes need not apply.
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #1384 of 1395 Old Today, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,233
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Please define "mega-16:9 IMAX style . How big are we talking about. I can't wait to see this screen and maybe a video on how the masking panels work. Pretty cool about treatments that slide across the door. When I first started trying to work on my room, I first got a solid core door with Celotex fiberboard wrapped in cloth.
http://www.celotex.co.uk/
Plus a sweep on the bottom of the door. It may not be as nice as what you are doing but all of those things gave me about a 2-3db increase of spl in the room. I am sure your door is pretty solid because it is one of the biggest places for sound to leak from. Besides the outlets.

Looking forward to more updates.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is online now  
post #1385 of 1395 Old Today, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
. I am sure your door is pretty solid because it is one of the biggest places for sound to leak from. Besides the outlets.

Looking forward to more updates.
At least in my room the door(s) are by far the largest spot for sound transmission. Solid core doors help but if you want the best, dual doors with a space in between is the way to go if you can.
audioguy is online now  
post #1386 of 1395 Old Today, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,233
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
At least in my room the door(s) are by far the largest spot for sound transmission. Solid core doors help but if you want the best, dual doors with a space in between is the way to go if you can.
In another life maybe . But now, this will have to do.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is online now  
post #1387 of 1395 Old Today, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 451
subscribed!
as I will be closing on my new home soon (hopfully this week, keeps getting delayed)

your vidds are great cant wait to see more...and you seem like someone I want to hang out with haha


Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/1596161-sadiemax-theater-build-thread.html
Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #1388 of 1395 Old Today, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Please define "mega-16:9 IMAX style . How big are we talking about. I can't wait to see this screen and maybe a video on how the masking panels work. Pretty cool about treatments that slide across the door. When I first started trying to work on my room, I first got a solid core door with Celotex fiberboard wrapped in cloth.
http://www.celotex.co.uk/
Plus a sweep on the bottom of the door. It may not be as nice as what you are doing but all of those things gave me about a 2-3db increase of spl in the room. I am sure your door is pretty solid because it is one of the biggest places for sound to leak from. Besides the outlets.

Looking forward to more updates.
Keeping 12 foot wide, but expanding height from 2:35 to 16:9 AR! That, plus the curved configuration should offer (at least for the front row) an unobstructed IMAX-esque experience. When second row is in use, I'll stick with 2:35 for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
At least in my room the door(s) are by far the largest spot for sound transmission. Solid core doors help but if you want the best, dual doors with a space in between is the way to go if you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
In another life maybe . But now, this will have to do.
Gentlemen, the plan is for DUAL SOLID CORE DOORS with two plywood and green-glue layers tacked onto each door. aboiut 9: of space between the doors. I'm going all-the-way!!! I also have the automatic door bottoms and sound proofing jambs from The Soundproofing Company! Minimal sound leakage is the goal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
subscribed!
as I will be closing on my new home soon (hopfully this week, keeps getting delayed)

your vidds are great cant wait to see more...and you seem like someone I want to hang out with haha

Greetings! Ah, excellent and a pre-closing congrats I bid unto thee--there's something invigorating about building a new theater in a new home! What are your plans so far? Glad you like the vids and if youu're ever in the DC area, let me know! I don't talk much (I'm an introvert) but I can nod the heck out of a conversation! lol.
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #1389 of 1395 Old Today, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,233
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Dual doors with GG. I guess that's the way to do it right. Dayum. That's going to be one big screen. One of the biggest screens I have seen listed here was a 164" 2.37 screen. That works out to about 12 feet but yours should be enormous because it's 16x9. Now I really hope I can make it down there to check out your system. That is, if I am invited .

It ain't easy being green.
My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; Today at 06:24 AM.
MIkeDuke is online now  
post #1390 of 1395 Old Today, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Question

I need to modify my previous post about door leakage. Because our home has only one HVAC system for 2 floors, all duct work ends up at the same place. This is not a "custom" home so no modifications were allowed during construction. Had they even allowed me to replace the duct work they were using with acoustically lined ductwork, it would have been much less of an issue. As a result, and as one might expect, sound does leak from the theater to, in particular, the vents in the master bedroom bath and closet.

Fortunatley, I can listen to music at night when my bride has gone to bed but ANYTHING with any serous bass in it is strictly off limits, which, unfortunately, includes most of the movie genre I like. I can say fairly safely, that no amount of construction, including triple drywall (I did 2), clips and channels, solid steel doors, floating floor or separate AC units would stop the prodigious amount of air that moves in that theater on action flicks at reference minus 5 with almost 10,000 watts of power driving 8 15 inch drivers and another 3,000 watts of power driving the 6 12 inch drivers in the LCR's.

A room within a room in a basement and having no common walls with any of the other structure might work but being on a second floor, not a shot.

The good news: I will NEVER need to purchase seat activators !!

Matt: you are very blessed (in many ways) to be able to do what you are doing in your new home and theater. Don't forget it. You are blessed !!!

Last edited by audioguy; Today at 06:22 AM. Reason: iving
audioguy is online now  
post #1391 of 1395 Old Today, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post



Greetings! Ah, excellent and a pre-closing congrats I bid unto thee--there's something invigorating about building a new theater in a new home! What are your plans so far? Glad you like the vids and if youu're ever in the DC area, let me know! I don't talk much (I'm an introvert) but I can nod the heck out of a conversation! lol.
thanks!! its been a loooong road to get this tyhing to close (been ready for a month now) just tons of dumb paperwork...

plans so far are for this area of my unfinished basement to be the small HT (seating for 2 for now then add a row of non reclining chairs behind on a riser) the total area is 11.5'x16'x7'...note this is not including the 3' or so behind the false AT wall I am building in the front



I plan on going with a 2.35 120" wide AT spandex DIY screen..first row of 2 reclining HT seats will be about 9-10' from screen..and using all presebnt gear in my sig. I have a panny ae8000 already waiting to be setup

My build thread I started is in my sig.

glad to be on this journey with you

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/1596161-sadiemax-theater-build-thread.html
Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #1392 of 1395 Old Today, 07:46 AM
Senior Member
 
ClemsonJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
They must have used some super-industrial electrical panels for my house...I have a whopping 32 available breaker slots across two 150amp panels. I'm going to do a sketch-up draft later this week on the two possible rack locations. The rack locations determines a lot, from how.much romex I need, to the need for a sub-panel- amd the layout of the HT lobby.
Yeah, I only had a single 200A panel, which was mostly full.

So you have 2 separate 150A circuits coming into your house? Yikes at your power bill.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
ClemsonJeeper is online now  
post #1393 of 1395 Old Today, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Dual doors with GG. I guess that's the way to do it right. Dayum. That's going to be one big screen. One of the biggest screens I have seen listed here was a 164" 2.37 screen. That works out to about 12 feet but yours should be enormous because it's 16x9. Now I really hope I can make it down there to check out your system. That is, if I am invited .
Yup--shooting for IMAX man! Of course you're invited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I need to modify my previous post about door leakage. Because our home has only one HVAC system for 2 floors, all duct work ends up at the same place. This is not a "custom" home so no modifications were allowed during construction. Had they even allowed me to replace the duct work they were using with acoustically lined ductwork, it would have been much less of an issue. As a result, and as one might expect, sound does leak from the theater to, in particular, the vents in the master bedroom bath and closet.

Fortunatley, I can listen to music at night when my bride has gone to bed but ANYTHING with any serous bass in it is strictly off limits, which, unfortunately, includes most of the movie genre I like. I can say fairly safely, that no amount of construction, including triple drywall (I did 2), clips and channels, solid steel doors, floating floor or separate AC units would stop the prodigious amount of air that moves in that theater on action flicks at reference minus 5 with almost 10,000 watts of power driving 8 15 inch drivers and another 3,000 watts of power driving the 6 12 inch drivers in the LCR's.

A room within a room in a basement and having no common walls with any of the other structure might work but being on a second floor, not a shot.

The good news: I will NEVER need to purchase seat activators !!

Matt: you are very blessed (in many ways) to be able to do what you are doing in your new home and theater. Don't forget it. You are blessed !!!
Oh I don't forget for a second just how blessed I am. I never thought I'd be able to build my dedicated theater at this point in my life, but God is working and He cannot be stopped. Not just with the theater, but the house, career, marriage, etc.

Man, that no-bass limitation has got to be hard. There is a solution that might work though. Ya see, I have a bit of a loud snore' Think "WotW pod-emergence scene" loud (my wife recorded me to prove she wasn't exaggerating). so I got her some construction-grade ear plugs that look and feel like the earbuds you find from Shure (narrow, go deep into ear). That works quite well when she remembers to put them in. If your Mrs. tries out those ear-plugs, I suspect you'll be able to get away with some bass in your theater for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
thanks!! its been a loooong road to get this tyhing to close (been ready for a month now) just tons of dumb paperwork...

plans so far are for this area of my unfinished basement to be the small HT (seating for 2 for now then add a row of non reclining chairs behind on a riser) the total area is 11.5'x16'x7'...note this is not including the 3' or so behind the false AT wall I am building in the front



I plan on going with a 2.35 120" wide AT spandex DIY screen..first row of 2 reclining HT seats will be about 9-10' from screen..and using all presebnt gear in my sig. I have a panny ae8000 already waiting to be setup

My build thread I started is in my sig.

glad to be on this journey with you
Your room is the exact width that a room adjacent to my theater is. I thought long and hard about making it the theater (It would have been so much easier), but ened up decided to tread the most difficult path. 120" is a GREAT screen size. My last screen was that size, and it was very immersive. I sat 12 feet away from it, and just melted into the picture! I see you've already had quite some time with your screen, so you know exactly what I'm talking about! Smart move getting that light-cannon projector! @snickers1 uses one, and it throws a great picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Yeah, I only had a single 200A panel, which was mostly full.

So you have 2 separate 150A circuits coming into your house? Yikes at your power bill.
LOL, oh my wife makes sure the power bill is low. She, bless her heart, will stumble through the house sometimes to avoid "wasteful use of light." lol....VERY different from what I'm used to, but when my mother in law came to visit, I saw exactly where she gets it from. lol. Anytime she the in-law something that had a power source: "you guys should unplug that--save some energy, no?" lol....it's true what they say about adjusting to another family when you get married! I've agreed to adopt her energy-conservation practices because once the theater is up and running, I'll ned to save every ounce of energy I can muster.
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #1394 of 1395 Old Today, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,233
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Yup--shooting for IMAX man! Of course you're invited!
Cool. I can't wait. I am interested in how the front baffle will look with those great Triad speakers up front.
Do you still have the Sony projector or are you waiting to see what else is out closer to when the install of the projector would be. Plus I am still interested in if you are going for a dedicated preamp or not. If not, I am very curious to how that all works. I am a real novice when it comes to a lot of this stuff .

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is online now  
post #1395 of 1395 Old Today, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 451
your going AT correct? are you buying a prefab screen or DIY?

only thing I will REALLY need help with is the electrical runs...my father in law built houses (including the one he lives in) so i have a GREAT resource for help

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/1596161-sadiemax-theater-build-thread.html
Brian Fineberg is online now  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off