Forum Jump: 
 234Likes

post #1621 of 1933 Old 10-01-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 363
I'm thinking about doing one row of five seats so I don't compromise the bed layer imaging for 3D audio by introducing varying heights to work with a higher rear row. I only give up two seats this way (current plan calls for 7 seats). Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 10-01-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1933 Old 10-01-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Here's the XT32 vs Parametric EQ blog post, with fixed images. Interesting stuff. Also please check out the new website and let me know what you think. It's only taken 1 year and over 10k to do this one

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/201...etric-eq-html/
Reddig likes this.

Acoustic Frontiers: design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #1623 of 1933 Old 10-01-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
I'm thinking about doing one row of five seats so I don't compromise the bed layer imaging for 3D audio by introducing varying heights to work with a higher rear row. I only give up two seats this way (current plan calls for 7 seats). Any thoughts on this?
Just be careful that the two outer seats are not too close to the side surrounds. My only row is 4 seats (but positoned such that they are ofset to one side so there is a sweet spot),

When we have guests, I sit in that seat (you will have two of them) and the side surrounds can be a bit distracting on occassion!!

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
post #1624 of 1933 Old 10-02-2014, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Just be careful that the two outer seats are not too close to the side surrounds. My only row is 4 seats (but positoned such that they are ofset to one side so there is a sweet spot),

When we have guests, I sit in that seat (you will have two of them) and the side surrounds can be a bit distracting on occassion!!
Great point....I have seen many theater designs that have one of their rows very close to a side or rear speaker and I've always thought that seat closest to the speaker has to be distracted....I can't see anyway around it.

Nabs17
post #1625 of 1933 Old 10-02-2014, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Some rooms (myself included) don't have much of a choice :-/

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #1626 of 1933 Old 10-03-2014, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Some rooms (myself included) don't have much of a choice :-/
Understood...I'm one of them myself as my space is only 12' wide...so I work with what I have and try to mitigate issues best I can.

Nabs17
post #1627 of 1933 Old 10-03-2014, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
I fear we are reaching the point where the drywall between the joists might be the only hold-up. Thus I propose--if there are any DC/MD/VA volunteers who are willing to assist me with loading the drywall between joists, although I can't pay you, I'll definitely order two pizza pies for every volunteer, and the pizzas will be delivered by the time you get home after a hard days work. PM me if interested.
Sorry, I don't know how I missed this one. If it was a serious cry for help, let me know. I'm a bit of a ways away, but we could work something out. Maybe a long & early Sat and/or Sunday??

I've already gotten a TON from your thread, and any way to pay it forward...

post #1628 of 1933 Old 10-03-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
I'm in Baltimore today on business but headed home. I shoulda booked my flight an extra day and had Matt grab me from hotel, I would have helped. But my business partner with me and he's total opposite of handy with tools and construction lol.
post #1629 of 1933 Old 10-03-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
He11, I could've grabbed you, I'm a lot closer to BWI than BB!

post #1630 of 1933 Old 10-03-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
One more comment. Ask yourself how often you are going to have more folks than just you and your bride in the theater at the same time. In our case, 95% ++++ of the time it is my wife and I. So, we built and optimized the theater for 2 and since not a single visitor has ever seen nor heard anything like we have, everything sounds/looks great to them. And, most of time, we give up the sweet spot for our guests (except for watching college football in which case I don't care where they sit --- just kidding)

Depending on your answer, that may or may not help you configure your seating. To your specific issue, if someone is sitting on the back row and the 3D holographic audio effect is not as good as the first row, now important is it really.

Remember what "comprimises" are: NO ONE gets exactly what they want.

Just a thought!!

New Theater

post #1631 of 1933 Old 10-03-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Ill be in DC from december 13-17 on a business trip...Ill have a alot of downtime...any chance we could meet up?

I would love to see other members HT's

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #1632 of 1933 Old 10-03-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
One more comment. Ask yourself how often you are going to have more folks than just you and your bride in the theater at the same time. In our case, 95% ++++ of the time it is my wife and I. So, we built and optimized the theater for 2 and since not a single visitor has ever seen nor heard anything like we have, everything sounds/looks great to them. And, most of time, we give up the sweet spot for our guests (except for watching college football in which case I don't care where they sit --- just kidding)

Depending on your answer, that may or may not help you configure your seating. To your specific issue, if someone is sitting on the back row and the 3D holographic audio effect is not as good as the first row, now important is it really.

Remember what "comprimises" are: NO ONE gets exactly what they want.

Just a thought!!
agree the sweet spot is the sweet spot for a reason. My family (my grow ass kids) watch movies all the time and all eight seats are full. The folks from the side seats never say wow the sound coming from the souround is loud and distracting.
post #1633 of 1933 Old 10-03-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
agree the sweet spot is the sweet spot for a reason. My family (my grow ass kids) watch movies all the time and all eight seats are full. The folks from the side seats never say wow the sound coming from the souround is loud and distracting.
Agree also. Go ahead and put in a second row, just optimize your sound for the main row. The 2nd row can be your "overflow parking" if you will, and they might not get perfect 3d imaging, but I doubt you will hear a single complaint about it either. If you are doing a demo for some AVS members, you can just state that and rotate them out, but how often will that happen?

Most movies I've watched have been just my wife and I. During big parties we throw all the kids in there, and they obviously don't care. We've had nights with one or two other couples stopping in to watch movies too, but to them just the thought of the theater is amazing, they don't care about it anywhere close to the level that I do, and are blown away anyway because it's not a TV on a wall with some bookshelf speakers.
post #1634 of 1933 Old 10-03-2014, 12:36 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 758
The Aura demonstration at CEDIA that everyone was gaga over had reasonable steep stadium bleacher seating with the back row significantly higher than the front. Granted the ceiling was pretty high unlike a basement.
post #1635 of 1933 Old 10-04-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Agree with the above.

More seats the better. I have 11 seats and some are better than others... But only I notice.

Moreover, the bigger the screen the less picky you'll be on audio. I've always found that a big image that fills your field of view makes somewhat secondary one's sharp senses in discerning the audio (like we would if watching if the a movie with the video off).

I watched Star Trek last night from one of the poorer seats in the theater and still found the audio spectacular - but partly because the big visuals sort of mute one's senses to the sound.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1636 of 1933 Old 10-04-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Agree with the above.

More seats the better. I have 11 seats and some are better than others... But only I notice.

Moreover, the bigger the screen the less picky you'll be on audio. I've always found that a big image that fills your field of view makes somewhat secondary one's sharp senses in discerning the audio (like we would if watching if the a movie with the video off).

I watched Star Trek last night from one of the poorer seats in the theater and still found the audio spectacular - but partly because the big visuals sort of mute one's senses to the sound.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1637 of 1933 Old 10-05-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Been having lots of fun watching your build Beast! It's gunna be truly epic in every sense of the word!

I respect your no non-sense approach to everything about your build. Props bro props! I'll be tuned in thru the whole build and have been enjoying your videos. Super informative!! Also thanks for CEDIA coverage. I wish you all the best luck with the build.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #1638 of 1933 Old 10-05-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
That is why there is a delete option in the thread editing window. I've deleted many a snarky comment after reflecting on my rudeness. Just like this post will get deleted when you find it.
Oh all b darn didn't know you could do that. Thanks.

When I post from my phone sometimes it gets posted twice for some reason. I'll try to find it and delete the extra one. I assumed only mods could delete entire posts.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #1639 of 1933 Old 10-05-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Jeff, I think we have grandfathered in the delete option. Or we get it with 10,000+ posts.

I also use significantly the delete function, and edit feature but I've made a similar suggestion before and the responses I got back where the poster didn't have enough posts to unlock the feature. Perhaps that's all changed since we've changed platforms a few times though.

Anyone know ?
post #1640 of 1933 Old 10-05-2014, 01:06 PM

Liked: 48
I only have 418 posts and can delete my old posts. It's in the advanced editor.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #1641 of 1933 Old 10-06-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

lol ya I got it figured out thanks.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #1642 of 1933 Old 10-06-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been ridiculously MIA....been sick for a couple of weeks. No work in the basement (not happy about the two week delay)...but I'm feeling sorta better now. While I was sick, I thought about selling all my speakers and buying a new car. It's amazing how the mind works when you're stuck in bed...

It looks like the consensus is....do two rows! I believe I shall do just that. It really is all about the main listening position anyway. Also, after some seminars at Church about the media and the mind, I'm going to take a hard look at my movie collection. I own movies that no Christian has any business owning. I suggest everyone do the same...

Maybe it's the sickness talking, but I think I had a dream about turning the theater into a two channel room....I woke up in a very contemplative mood...

My mind is all over the place...

Laying down now...
post #1643 of 1933 Old 10-06-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Must be on some great codeine lol

Get some rest big guy
post #1644 of 1933 Old 10-06-2014, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Sorry, I don't know how I missed this one. If it was a serious cry for help, let me know. I'm a bit of a ways away, but we could work something out. Maybe a long & early Sat and/or Sunday??

I've already gotten a TON from your thread, and any way to pay it forward...
Sup man.....definitely a serious cry for help. I'll shoot you a PM tonight man.....appreciate it mucho!
post #1645 of 1933 Old 10-06-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Hope you feel better Matt. Having a cold sucks when you just feel like you can't do anything. Just out of curiosity, is it just certain movies you may thin out or certain genres. And the 2ch thing made me smile a bit. So did selling everything and buying a car. I hope you get well soon .

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #1646 of 1933 Old 10-06-2014, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Hope you feel better Matt. Having a cold sucks when you just feel like you can't do anything. Just out of curiosity, is it just certain movies you may thin out or certain genres. And the 2ch thing made me smile a bit. So did selling everything and buying a car. I hope you get well soon .
Any movies with magic/sorcery, demons, etc. That stuff has no place in a Christian's movie collection. Here's one of many texts (Deuteronmy 18: 9-12). If it's an abomination to God, I shouldn't be entertained by it on screen. Thanks man.....af first, I thought it was a cold, but blood started coming from my throat and nostrils every time I coughed.....scared the heck out of me. That stopped yesterday...(Thank God). I still love my two channel music....a two channel room is the next project in one of the spare bedrooms.
post #1647 of 1933 Old 10-06-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Yeah, hope you feel better soon and stop the crazy talk about selling your speakers

Everyone is waiting for the Beast, Unleashed Home Theater! Me included.

A great home theater, like your designing, makes a pretty good 2 channel room as well. Not the best given some of the different design aspects but pretty darn good.
post #1648 of 1933 Old 10-06-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Any movies with magic/sorcery, demons, etc..
I'm not sure about the "magic" part (at least my definition of magic) but I can't watch any of the other stuff - demonic is particulary problematic to me.

That said, I would offer a piece of advice (obtained from my bride): "HALTS" - which translates to "don't make important decisions when Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired or Sick"

New Theater

post #1649 of 1933 Old 10-06-2014, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Any movies with magic/sorcery, demons, etc. That stuff has no place in a Christian's movie collection. Here's one of many texts (Deuteronmy 18: 9-12). If it's an abomination to God, I shouldn't be entertained by it on screen.

Hey BB. Hope your feeling better. I'm dying for the next video and more progress on your theater.

However, I find that quote just ridiculous. I'm a catholic/Christian and I love the horror genre and action genre. The Exorcist is one of my all time favorite films. Sure the imagery of the possessed Reagan is unsettling as well as the subject matter, but its about much more than the gross/graphic things that happen. My interpretation is its about how Father Karras has lost his faith and how what happens to Reagan helps him to restore his faith and sacrifice himself to save her. He even repents before he dies. Extremely powerful IMO for a God believing person who has struggled with their own faith throughout their life. Saying that films like that don't belong in a Christians film collection is just plain ridiculous. They're just movies. Not real. Pure fiction. It's more than ok to enjoy them as long as one understands they are just purely entertainment. If a particular movie tries to get a more important message across, such as The Exorcist, I think that's fantastic. I love seeing dumb teens get slaughtered in slasher films as well as Rambo delivering some good old fashion justice (especially on those Burmese; I felt Stallone really established them as evil, despicable sub humans that needed to be dealt with in part 4). It's entertainment. If your going to clear out your movie collection of anything that could be an "abomination to God," you should probably throw out all of your action movies too. I don't think God would like you being entertained by people being shot up and killed either. Sorry for the rant, I don't want to hijack your thread and turn it into a religious debate, but to say that a Christian shouldn't have films that have magic, sorcery, or demons in their collection is just plain ridiculous. As long as you can purely separate fiction from reality and you treat people as you want to be treated in real life, God won't have any beef with you popping in a horror/slasher/action movie if you want.

I mean no disrespect to you or your beliefs. As a fellow Christian/Catholic, I just felt that I had to state my opinion since I took offense with that particular quote.

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Auralex Great Gramma/MoPAD
Logitech Harmony One
post #1650 of 1933 Old 10-06-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Any movies with magic/sorcery, demons, etc. That stuff has no place in a Christian's movie collection. Here's one of many texts (Deuteronmy 18: 9-12). If it's an abomination to God, I shouldn't be entertained by it on screen. Thanks man.....af first, I thought it was a cold, but blood started coming from my throat and nostrils every time I coughed.....scared the heck out of me. That stopped yesterday...(Thank God). I still love my two channel music....a two channel room is the next project in one of the spare bedrooms.
I got you. I sort of know what you mean. Right after 9/11 there were certain types of movies that I could not watch. Sword Fish was one and Independence day was another. I just did not like seeing the people exploding in Swordfish or the buildings explode in I.D. That lasted for a few years but now if I wanted to watch them I could. If that's what you want to do that's fine. That limits you a little bit but there are plenty of others out there to watch.

Personally, I really don't limit myself. If it's good I watch action, sci fi, drama. horror, monster.. But to be honest, I can't remember the last "horror" film I watched in the theater. They all seem too redundant now. I am pretty selective now in that area. Not to say that I don't love it anymore. I do. But it has to look like a top shelf one for me to think about it.

But I understand your position. And I won't criticize you for it. You have to watch what you enjoy and that's it.

On the health front coughing up blood is not good. I hope that clears up. I am getting better form my own procedure that I had. I am just about healed.

I look forward to seeing if you go through with a separate 2ch room. Can't wait to see some more progress.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page