The Beast, Unleashed - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 204Likes

post #1801 of 1834 Old 11-20-2014, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 27
No sprinklers in IL as well. Shocking since everything else in this state sux.....

## DIY Rustic ConcreteBunker HT Build w/8 x 18" IB subs & 25KW ##

Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Elite Screens 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Buttkicker BKA-1000(3x) | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
Supercharged 10 second II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1834 Old 11-20-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
No sprinklers in IL as well. Shocking since everything else in this state sux.....
Da Bears will be good again sometime. Your theater is definitely awesome so not everything.
Mfusick likes this.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #1803 of 1834 Old 11-20-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
I don't know about the rest of Illinois, but Chicago does NOT suck! Was there a few weeks ago....we can't wait to go back. The cold lake wind in the fall, however--in the context of comfort--does leave much to be desired.

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 11-20-2014 at 02:01 PM.
post #1804 of 1834 Old 11-20-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Chicago does NOT suck! Was there a few weeks ago....we can't wait to go back. The cold lake wind in the fall, however--in the context of comfort--does leave much to be desired.
As a former Chi-town resident, I can tell you it's a nice place to visit, but...
LeBon likes this.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #1805 of 1834 Old 11-20-2014, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
As a former Chi-town resident, I can tell you it's a nice place to visit, but...
Ah,that's how I feel about NY. I'm from there, and love to visit, but I'd never ever live there again.
Mfusick likes this.
post #1806 of 1834 Old 11-20-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Exactly right! Insanely expensive to even visit, though. I was at the O'Hare Hilton a few weeks ago for two nights. NOTHING there is included and the prices were over the top, even by hotel standards. Two eggs, a slice of toast, coffee, 2 strips of bacon and a scoop of hash browns - $28 plus $7 room delivery charge and mandatory 20% gratuity (That's right, $42 total for breakfast). A can of Coke was $5.50. A can of domestic beer, like Miller Lite, was $13 per can ($312 per case of 24!). Import beers were $15 per can!!! Unfortunately other eating establishments weren't much better. Wifi was more expensive than in airplanes at $21.00 for 24 hours of access. Pricing downtown wasn't much better, to be honest. And room rates anywhere near the city were a minimum of $279 per night, plus 25% layered on top in various taxes.
post #1807 of 1834 Old 11-20-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Exactly right! Insanely expensive to even visit, though. I was at the O'Hare Hilton a few weeks ago for two nights. NOTHING there is included and the prices were over the top, even by hotel standards. Two eggs, a slice of toast, coffee, 2 strips of bacon and a scoop of hash browns - $28 plus $7 room delivery charge and mandatory 20% gratuity (That's right, $42 total for breakfast). A can of Coke was $5.50. A can of domestic beer, like Miller Lite, was $13 per can ($312 per case of 24!). Import beers were $15 per can!!! Unfortunately other eating establishments weren't much better. Wifi was more expensive than in airplanes at $21.00 for 24 hours of access. Pricing downtown wasn't much better, to be honest. And room rates anywhere near the city were a minimum of $279 per night, plus 25% layered on top in various taxes.

Yup.

Absolute WORST state in the union. At least we finally had a turnover of the Governors office due to the recent election! Fingers crossed things get better.

Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Elite Screens 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Buttkicker BKA-1000(3x) | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
post #1808 of 1834 Old 11-20-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Da Bears will be good again sometime. Your theater is definitely awesome so not everything.
I am surprised you and Brolic get along... he's a Giants fan ya know...

I suppose you both hate the Cowboys ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1809 of 1834 Old 11-20-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yup.

Absolute WORST state in the union. At least we finally had a turnover of the Governors office due to the recent election! Fingers crossed things get better.
Willie likes this.

-

post #1810 of 1834 Old 11-21-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I am surprised you and Brolic get along... he's a Giants fan ya know...

I suppose you both hate the Cowboys ?
Haha yea I know. All is good.

I am sure he does hate the Cowboys just as I do, but he has the advantage of not living in Texas unlike me. There are Cowboy fans every where here and when they went on their winning streak, it was super annoying hearing them running their mouths all the time. Two game losing streak silenced them a little bit though lol.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #1811 of 1834 Old 11-21-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

I am sure he does hate the Cowboys just as I do, but he has the advantage of not living in Texas unlike me. There are Cowboy fans every where here and when they went on their winning streak, it was super annoying hearing them running their mouths all the time. Two game losing streak silenced them a little bit though lol.
Don't worry about it. I am an Eagles guy too so we will be having Cowboy, instead of turkey on Thanksgiving .

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #1812 of 1834 Old 11-21-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Cowboys fans are like cockroaches in Texas. They are absolutely everywhere. It's almost like there are no Texans fans except in the actual city limits of Houston. Growing up an Oilers fan in the '90's was hell.
post #1813 of 1834 Old 11-21-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Eagles vs the Cowgirls gonna be a fight this year... it's either teams division to win at this point. Both look strong enough to have a legitimate post season chance.

The AFC looks interesting too, many good teams all bunched together. There is multiple possible division winners, and teams that could potentially make the post season at this point. The only division not in question is the AFC East, because let's face it, the Patriots steam roll the division every year. Miami plays Denver this Sunday so someone must lose... I see the Patriots winning either way with either outcome. Just like Chiefs vs Broncos, The Chiefs vs Steelers, Steelers vs Bengals, and all these other games left to play. By default someone has to lose... so really between the Chiefs, Steelers, Broncos, Ravens, Bengals, and Dolphins only one of those teams can possibly win out, any one of them doing so gives the others a loss. Patriots control their own destiny at this point, but certainly not easy schedule (#1 defense this week in Lions, Packers in Greenbay next week, still need play chargers, dolphins etc.. )

This is the best time of year for NFL IMO. I love every second of it. I could never work on a theater on a Sunday... I just could never. Not sure how you do it Matt, that is dedication. Look for contractors that are not fans, you'll get more consistency in showing up !

BTW living where you do.. how come not a Ravens Fan? Or Redskins ? What about Jeff? I assume BigmouthinDC must like one of those two teams?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1814 of 1834 Old 11-21-2014, 11:44 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
What about Jeff? I assume BigmouthinDC must like one of those two teams?
I've lived in Minneapolis, Nashville, Tampa, San Fransico, and now DC Can't seem to find a team I like so I keep moving.
post #1815 of 1834 Old 11-21-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I've lived in Minneapolis, Nashville, Tampa, San Fransico, and now DC Can't seem to find a team I like so I keep moving.
lol! Move to MA, our teams always win.

I wen to the Tampa game two weeks ago. It was a great experience, but the fans don't seem to really get mad when they lose which is a lot different than I am used to. In MA, if Pats lose even one game people freak out.

I think best place to see a game is M&T in Baltimore.. those fans are hard core and they are not fair weather fans. They will cheer till the end.. and the place is mostly purple. I like that.

Compared to DC.. at a skins game half the crowd has on Giants or Eagles, or whatever... Just not the same.

I went to a Miami vs Pats game in Miami a few years back, same thing, half the crowd was for the patriots. Really odd to me.

-

post #1816 of 1834 Old 11-21-2014, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Well, my logic says:
KC destroys New England
Oakland is 0-10, Beats KC
Oakland must then be > New England, and since Oakland stinks, so much NE....

I would like to stop at that point and not take it further.

Of course being a Bengals fan, living through the drubbing we received from NE.. the next piece is NE > Bengals (Colts, Broncos, etc. etc) Darn logic, doesn't seem to work very well.

ps... voted two more times today for your Gerber Kiddo's!
Mfusick likes this.
post #1817 of 1834 Old 11-21-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Move to Pittsburgh and be done with it....
post #1818 of 1834 Old 11-21-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Move to Pittsburgh and be done with it....
Geez man, what do you have against Big.
g_bartman likes this.

-

post #1819 of 1834 Old 11-21-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Cowboys fans are like cockroaches in Texas. They are absolutely everywhere. It's almost like there are no Texans fans except in the actual city limits of Houston. Growing up an Oilers fan in the '90's was hell.
The Washington team's fans are like fire ants on heroin in this area. Even when I lived closer to Baltimore than DC, the Ravens fans weren't so blindly enamoured. DC has a special breed of mindlessness--whether on Capitol Hill or the inner city a stone's throw away.

Quote:
Eagles vs the Cowgirls gonna be a fight this year... it's either teams division to win at this point. Both look strong enough to have a legitimate post season chance.

The AFC looks interesting too, many good teams all bunched together. There is multiple possible division winners, and teams that could potentially make the post season at this point. The only division not in question is the AFC East, because let's face it, the Patriots steam roll the division every year. Miami plays Denver this Sunday so someone must lose... I see the Patriots winning either way with either outcome. Just like Chiefs vs Broncos, The Chiefs vs Steelers, Steelers vs Bengals, and all these other games left to play. By default someone has to lose... so really between the Chiefs, Steelers, Broncos, Ravens, Bengals, and Dolphins only one of those teams can possibly win out, any one of them doing so gives the others a loss. Patriots control their own destiny at this point, but certainly not easy schedule (#1 defense this week in Lions, Packers in Greenbay next week, still need play chargers, dolphins etc.. )

This is the best time of year for NFL IMO. I love every second of it. I could never work on a theater on a Sunday... I just could never. Not sure how you do it Matt, that is dedication. Look for contractors that are not fans, you'll get more consistency in showing up !

BTW living where you do.. how come not a Ravens Fan? Or Redskins ? What about Jeff? I assume BigmouthinDC must like one of those two teams?
I'm from NY! These country folks down here can keep their birds and offensive team names...NY Giants is the team I will always love...even when performance is less than stellar.

Quote:

I wen to the Tampa game two weeks ago. It was a great experience, but the fans don't seem to really get mad when they lose which is a lot different than I am used to. In MA, if Pats lose even one game people freak out.

I think best place to see a game is M&T in Baltimore.. those fans are hard core and they are not fair weather fans. They will cheer till the end.. and the place is mostly purple. I like that.

Compared to DC.. at a skins game half the crowd has on Giants or Eagles, or whatever... Just not the same.

I went to a Miami vs Pats game in Miami a few years back, same thing, half the crowd was for the patriots. Really odd to me.
Tom Brady accomplished a rare thing in the mid-2000s....he managed to gain the adoration of a nation. The impact is still felt today, a folks with no business cheering for the Patriots still do so.

When are we going to see some Yankees jerseys on those adorable twins o' yours? Heh heh
post #1820 of 1834 Old 11-21-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually NE is the most hated team in the NFL across the country. Likely because Brady has a winning record against every other team.

-

post #1821 of 1834 Old 11-21-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Your welcome in Green Bay We console former Viking fans all the time.
post #1822 of 1834 Old 11-21-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Geez man, what do you have against Big.
I went to Phildelphia once, but it was closed...

--- W. C. Fields
BllDo likes this.
post #1823 of 1834 Old 11-22-2014, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did you just say $5.50 for a Coca Cola can???????

Anger bursts through my veins at such hotel malarkey.
post #1824 of 1834 Old 11-23-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Yup. They get you. They figure if you don't have a car your stuck there, and most are on business so their companies will pick up the tab. Gouging at its finest

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #1825 of 1834 Old 11-23-2014, 08:12 AM

So BB....do you have a projected completion window in mind? Can't wait to see the equipment being permanently installed.

post #1826 of 1834 Old 11-23-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Montgomery Co. (And Fairfax/Arlington/Loudoun in VA) seem to be early adopters of fire code stuff and drive code for the rest of the country... as they go so does NFPA it seems. It's coming... new construction only though.

As a former life safety professional I've been given statistics that show that sprinklers are remarkably effective at saving lives. Not so much for property. Best bang for your buck is making sure that you have working smoke detectors, and if you're handy enough hardwire/interconnect them as is required for new construction. If you have a monitored security system tie them into that as well.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
post #1827 of 1834 Old 11-23-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Did you just say $5.50 for a Coca Cola can???????

Anger bursts through my veins at such hotel malarkey.
Same here. In fact, I refuse to support such craziness and literally didn't eat anything for two days beyond a couple of Clif bars I had in my laptop bag and some tap water over ice.

If that made you angry I will share with you something that will really drive you crazy.... We had a booth at this show and one of the extension cords was short by about 2 feet from reaching a lighted display case. One of the guys ran to a place down the street and bought a longer extension cord. The second....and I do mean the second....he pulled it out of the bag to install it, THREE union representatives came out of nowhere and caused a polite kerfuffle about how 'that work' could only be performed by a qualified electrician. So, after taking the next 30 minutes going to the show management office and filling out a 5 page job requisition form, a union electrician came to the booth about 45 minutes after that with one of *their* extension cords and some black gaffer tape. 3 minutes later the new extension cord was in place and taped down using the other extension cord's tape (not even new tape). We were presented with the bill.....$250 as their 'standard minimum service fee'. We thought we were done until an inspector came by to bless the electrician's work....his bill was $100 for a minimum fee. So $350 for 3 minutes of work to swap an extension cord and inspect it. Oh, and to run the vacuum for less than 1 minute to sweep the exposed parts of a 10x10 carpet? That's right, $125. No wonder so many conventions have moved out of Chicago!! *Rant over*

Looking forward to seeing the drywall installation and the associated videos. For some reason I never seam to break a sweat when watching theater construction videos....
post #1828 of 1834 Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So BB....do you have a projected completion window in mind? Can't wait to see the equipment being permanently installed.
Projected completion is up in the air. If I get everything done by early January, then I'm good. But if late January comes and I'm not finished, the build will be on hiatus for a bit. I will, however, have screen speakers etc. installed before that though.

Quote:
Same here. In fact, I refuse to support such craziness and literally didn't eat anything for two days beyond a couple of Clif bars I had in my laptop bag and some tap water over ice.

If that made you angry I will share with you something that will really drive you crazy.... We had a booth at this show and one of the extension cords was short by about 2 feet from reaching a lighted display case. One of the guys ran to a place down the street and bought a longer extension cord. The second....and I do mean the second....he pulled it out of the bag to install it, THREE union representatives came out of nowhere and caused a polite kerfuffle about how 'that work' could only be performed by a qualified electrician. So, after taking the next 30 minutes going to the show management office and filling out a 5 page job requisition form, a union electrician came to the booth about 45 minutes after that with one of *their* extension cords and some black gaffer tape. 3 minutes later the new extension cord was in place and taped down using the other extension cord's tape (not even new tape). We were presented with the bill.....$250 as their 'standard minimum service fee'. We thought we were done until an inspector came by to bless the electrician's work....his bill was $100 for a minimum fee. So $350 for 3 minutes of work to swap an extension cord and inspect it. Oh, and to run the vacuum for less than 1 minute to sweep the exposed parts of a 10x10 carpet? That's right, $125. No wonder so many conventions have moved out of Chicago!! *Rant over*

Looking forward to seeing the drywall installation and the associated videos. For some reason I never seam to break a sweat when watching theater construction videos....

It's cheaper to ship food to the hotel via UPS before you leave home, so it arrives just as you do. Wow....that power cord adventure is terrible. Makes me wonder if CEDIA is like that. Vendor needs extension cord.....convention center staff proceeds to charge hundreds....

Man, the theater build videos will be shifting gears soon, from building the room (construction) to finishing the theater (detail-driven work).
post #1829 of 1834 Old Yesterday, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Five solid core doors have been ordered. two sets of double (communicating) doors and a single door to the equipment room, which will also be soundproofed.

Why so early? Per the Soundproofing Company, a best practice is to have doors installed first so drywall can be installed leading right up to the jamb (major flanking vulnerability). So we're going to install the doors before hanging the drywall. These doors aren't cheap, so the cost pushed drywall back a little bit. Worth every bit of the schedule sacrifice.
post #1830 of 1834 Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Where you buy door ? How much $?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page