post #181 of 1397 Old 02-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

If they applied for a permit indicating the area will be finished that could be the sticky point.

All depends on the County or municipality and the people involved. If they would not have had a problem with it before than they might not now either. Maybe just a simple amendment. But yea, some governments are just a pain in the..

See My Setup Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1397 Old 02-20-2014, 04:20 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 580
or the builder is just lazy and doesn't want to fuss with it.
post #183 of 1397 Old 02-20-2014, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

sometimes it is more to do with the inspector/bank/appraiser that won't let them leave a room 1/2 done. If the builder could save money they would in a heartbeat.

the good news is that they will probably finish it with that crappy 1/2 inch lightweight drywall so demo should be easy.

Are you getting the electrical circuits installed you need?

Nah no circuits being run (builder wanted to charge an arm, a leg, and a first-born.  But, the panel is in the room directly behind the theater, so I'm hoping the electrical runs will be easy enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

I don't know... it's a basement area is it not? Communicate with all concerned. It may not be an issue. Hey... just drug your old Marquis into my HT room.

Ah, prepare to be amazed--play the Book of Eli's howitzer shootout scene with that Marquis at full range--it will change your life! 

Quote:

If they applied for a permit indicating the area will be finished that could be the sticky point.

Yeah, the permits definitely indicated a finished basement.  I remember the waiting game for the permits to come back, which was before we realized soundproofing was affordable (relatively) and that we wanted it unfinished.

Quote:

All depends on the County or municipality and the people involved. If they would not have had a problem with it before than they might not now either. Maybe just a simple amendment. But yea, some governments are just a pain in the..

This county is one of the stricter ones when it comes to permits and regulations.  I'm starting to wonder if the original agreement w/ superintendent was an "on the side" agreement, outside the boundaries of official approval (although I did submit a letter to the owner making the request.  Maybe it never got there???)

Quote:

or the builder is just lazy and doesn't want to fuss with it.

Apparently, the owner is mulling over the decision right now.  I'm assuming he'd need to go through the permit alteration process, if any.  Might be weighing whether he wants to be bothered with it or not. 

post #184 of 1397 Old 02-21-2014, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Well you better get a demo permit if you go that route LOL

Brolic, I set up the Marquis just initially.. it was late and didn't go through the XT32 process yet. Played a few of the demo clips... what a difference. My room is big so this was desperately needed.

I think even just looking at all of those 12" drivers has an impact in itself!

But no it's not the visual.. I think I'm actually satisfied with this Legacy array. Doesn't get much better IMHO.

BTW: You really take great care of your stuff. Much appreciated.

See My Setup Here

post #185 of 1397 Old 02-21-2014, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well you better get a demo permit if you go that route LOL

Brolic, I set up the Marquis just initially.. it was late and didn't go through the XT32 process yet. Played a few of the demo clips... what a difference. My room is big so this was desperately needed.

I think even just looking at all of those 12" drivers has an impact in itself!

But no it's not the visual.. I think I'm actually satisfied with this Legacy array. Doesn't get much better IMHO.

BTW: You really take great care of your stuff. Much appreciated.

Gear that good deserves the best treatment man!  I'm glad it ended up in a home of someone who will truly enjoy and appreciate it.  I was VERY satisfied with the Dual AMT Focus SE's w/ the Marquis HD center.  It knocked my socks off man (and any guests I had over as well)!  Did you get the Sound Anchor stand as well? If not, how did you incorporate that beast into your room?

post #186 of 1397 Old 02-21-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The verdict is in on the basement: it WILL come finished because they applied for the permits with a finished basement.  Apparently, the previous agreement wouldn't have worked anyway, becasue it wouldn't have passed final inspection if the superintendent had left it unfinished *on the side.*

***exhales and contains frustration***

So I'll need to get a demo to crew to knock this out the week that we move in.  Drats---I really wasn't looking forward to the added expense.

post #187 of 1397 Old 02-21-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

The verdict is in on the basement: it WILL come finished because they applied for the permits with a finished basement.  Apparently, the previous agreement wouldn't have worked anyway, becasue it wouldn't have passed final inspection if the superintendent had left it unfinished *on the side.*

So I'll need to get a demo to crew to knock this out the week that we move in.  Drats---I really wasn't looking forward to the added expense.
Scope creep Scope Creep. It's everywhere.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #188 of 1397 Old 02-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is the kind of thing that just kills me. Your own home and you have government making you do things you do not want to do all the way down to drywall.  I know, you didn't initially plan it that way but you got to be kidding me. No wonder there is such a thing as the Tea Party.

Quote:

Gear that good deserves the best treatment man!  I'm glad it ended up in a home of someone who will truly enjoy and appreciate it.  I was VERY satisfied with the Dual AMT Focus SE's w/ the Marquis HD center.  It knocked my socks off man (and any guests I had over as well)!  Did you get the Sound Anchor stand as well? If not, how did you incorporate that beast into your room?

Thanks Brolic. No I didn't need the stand. Incorporation is almost done... gotta raise the plasma up a few inches. Having all of those 12" subs in your face is quite a statement.

Kinda makes the 65" Pany look small.

I love having the center right there at the screen.

wilfredent likes this.

See My Setup Here

post #189 of 1397 Old 02-21-2014, 08:16 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

demoing an 18x18 room should be a cathartic process. It won't take you more than a weekend and you won't have to hire a crew. I like to use a strip and bag process so that drywall never touches the floor and all materials are tightly bagged before removing from the room.
PaulFSemicolen likes this.
post #190 of 1397 Old 02-23-2014, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Brolic. No I didn't need the stand. Incorporation is almost done... gotta raise the plasma up a few inches. Having all of those 12" subs in your face is quite a statement.
Kinda makes the 65" Pany look small.

I love having the center right there at the screen.

Looking good! Man, you can really improve your soundstage by increasing the distance between the Focus SE's.
Quote:

demoing an 18x18 room should be a cathartic process. It won't take you more than a weekend and you won't have to hire a crew. I like to use a strip and bag process so that drywall never touches the floor and all materials are tightly bagged before removing from the room.

Thanks man, maybe I'll get some slesge hammer-happy buddies to help me rip it down. The strip and bag pieces sounds efficient, as it eliminates the messy clean up. Thanks Big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Scope creep Scope Creep. It's everywhere.

Truer words were never spoken!
post #191 of 1397 Old 02-24-2014, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey fellas, the Triad Platinums are back up for sale.  I'm shooting for a set of Triad Platinum Platinum Cinema Plus speakers for the front soundstage.  Click the link in my signature for more details.  In the meantime, I'm researching the heck out of baffle walls....trying to figure out if I need one.

post #192 of 1397 Old 02-24-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 194
With speakers specially designed for use in baffle walls, you'd be silly not to, IMO. Looks like a great choice to me.
post #193 of 1397 Old 02-25-2014, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

With speakers specially designed for use in baffle walls, you'd be silly not to, IMO. Looks like a great choice to me.

I agree HF.  After much research, based primarily on the fact that these baffle walls are engineered to work with the Cinema Plus Plats, the baffle walls will definitely be ordered as well.

post #194 of 1397 Old 02-27-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm going to be wiring for Auro 3D...and the way I want to wire the VOG channel is the same way the movies present it: multiple speakers on the ceiling.  Is this detrimental to the spherical soundstage, and if so, why?  I just feel like one VOG speaker in the middle of the ceiling will be sooo easy to localize--not just the obvious "it's above us" localization, but the "it's above us, about 2 feet in x direction" localization.  That is my fear.

post #195 of 1397 Old 02-27-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

I'm going to be wiring for Auro 3D...and the way I want to wire the VOG channel is the same way the movies present it: multiple speakers on the ceiling.  Is this detrimental to the spherical soundstage, and if so, why?  I just feel like one VOG speaker in the middle of the ceiling will be sooo easy to localize--not just the obvious "it's above us" localization, but the "it's above us, about 2 feet in x direction" localization.  That is my fear.

I agree with you. Are you looking into something like this configuration?

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #196 of 1397 Old 02-27-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I agree with you. Are you looking into something like this configuration?

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO DO!!!!  Many, many thanks!

post #197 of 1397 Old 02-27-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Beast - I pre-wired for a configuration like this in my theater as well. Ran conduit to several different spots as well.
post #198 of 1397 Old 02-27-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO DO!!!!  Many, many thanks!

Right now I have 11.1 and have recently been talking about adding heights closer to the middle of the room because I think it would sound more realistic and also I wanted to future proof for what is to come such as Dolby Atmos. I think I have and extra two channels on my amps to where I can try it out. I am curious about this Auro system and it is relatively inexpensive. You really have me thinking about this because I love NEO:X.

- Leon Phelps
post #199 of 1397 Old 02-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

29 speakers?

See My Setup Here

post #200 of 1397 Old 02-27-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

29 speakers?
Probably not for home theaters. No home theater is that large. There is a good thread going on about this and I will link you to it when I am on my computer. Doing that on my phone would be a pain.

- Leon Phelps
post #201 of 1397 Old 03-01-2014, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 190
This thread made me do some quick research, looks like 10.x is what Auro is working on for home theatres
http://www.auro-3d.com/system/concept/

Quote:
Top Layer : Situated directly above the listener. Enhances the realism of fly-over effects by creating a bridge with the Height Layer. This combination produces an enveloping sphere or 'cocoon of sound' around the listener.

Height Layer (40° above the Lower Layer): The most important layer in the creation of immersive sound AROUND the listener. The capturing of ambient reflections in this layer allows Auro-3D® to deliver a more natural sound & improve sound source localization.

Lower Layer (0°-20°): 2D horizontal plane where ear-level source sounds are located.
Home Theater (small rooms); Auro 10.1 (+ Top Ceiling / VOG)
Quote:
100% compatibility between all Auro-3D® listening formats have a Height Channel above and around the listener, which is crucial to a fully immersive experience.
This is unattainable with only a Top Layer.
post #202 of 1397 Old 03-01-2014, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Next they will add a "Brain Wave Generator" out jack. Plugs into the rear base of your neck like in the Matrix. No screen or speakers required.

See My Setup Here

post #203 of 1397 Old 03-01-2014, 05:04 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Forget that they will just be implanting a chip in your brain and send audio and video direct. You can skip building the room.
post #204 of 1397 Old 03-03-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As move-in day approaches, I'm getting started on the actual design of the theater.  I'm enlisting an architect/engineering team to propose way to do one of the following:

1) Extend the rear of the theater by 2 to 3 feet.

2) Flip the theater 90 degrees to create a much larger space (but would be the most expensive)

Both will require me to move the staircase leading into the basement.  But--how can I do that without disrupting the structural integrity?  I guess I'll find out soon.  If it's too costly of a proposition, I'll stick with the current plan and will move forward aggressively.

post #205 of 1397 Old 03-03-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I moved my stairs ... Not easy but doable.
If you are not comfortable with structural understanding it's best to consult a pro like you are.

Via my iPhone 5s & Tapatalk, LLAP
post #206 of 1397 Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Realistically, the easiest way is to file a change order with your builder who would then perform the work under your existing permit and would fall under your builder's warranty. Usually requires a plan from a structural engineer that must be certified before work begins. Even with gutting your new theater room after closing, moving the steps after the fact would be much more expensive than right at this moment.
post #207 of 1397 Old 03-04-2014, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

I moved my stairs ... Not easy but doable.
If you are not comfortable with structural understanding it's best to consult a pro like you are.

Via my iPhone 5s & Tapatalk, LLAP

Would you mind PM-ing me what the cost was to move your stairs?  I tried finding the stair-move in your build thread, but no such luck beyond a sentence describing what was done.  I'd really appreciate any info you could provide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Realistically, the easiest way is to file a change order with your builder who would then perform the work under your existing permit and would fall under your builder's warranty. Usually requires a plan from a structural engineer that must be certified before work begins. Even with gutting your new theater room after closing, moving the steps after the fact would be much more expensive than right at this moment.

I wish I could; hwoever, the time for change orders is past.  They're drywalling the house as we speak.  :-(  I'll have to hire some folks to do the work, if I can afford the level of effort required. I will say this: I'm willing to wait a little while if it means getting my dream theater environment.  The existing 18x18 plan is already enough for my dream theater, as my wife and I don't plan on having more than two children, so in a 5-seat row, we'll still have an extra seat for the "whoops" third child that comes ten years after the second. lol.  But, my dream theater environment is to have a theater that I can also entertain a decent number of guests in.  So we will see what the feasibility is on this. 

post #208 of 1397 Old 03-06-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Brolic - Basement stairs changing, for me I had 2 options;
1) Change from L to a U, continuing the RH down way
2) Change from L to a U, however make a new LH down way
For me both would have worked, 1) gave me a 18ft 6in deep HT but kept the under stairs storage and the 14' deep bedroom, while 2) would have made the HT 3 feed deeper to 21ft 6in but eliminated the under stairs storage and the bedroom would have been 11' deep.

for 2 rows HT 18ft 6in was enough, and having under stairs storage really appealed to my wife and I for obvious reasons (and rightly so, it's organized packed now)

All DIY, demo the drywall/studs, make new lower landing, make small 2 stair rung, and stud the hallway to basement entrance.

Before:
DSCN4037.JPG .
After:
IMG_3318.JPG

I can't give you a quote, as DIY.
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-build-basement-stairs#.UxiqnWewXEo

Sorry - exactly how do you want to re-do your basement stair run?

Post a before > after sketch for clarity.
post #209 of 1397 Old 03-10-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I appreciate that post!  Man, just peeped your room.  Two rows did fit very comfortable into your 18-footer.  As I've been thinking about this, most 2nd rows exist at the 17/18ft mark.  If I kept my current room size and didn't expand, I could definitely fit two rows in there, and would just need to skip the bar at the back.  I can definitely live with that!

As far as the stairs, I was considering moving the stairs half-way down from a straight-down run into an "L" run 90 degrees into the storage room behind the theater space; however, the more I think about it, the more I think that I don't need to bother doing it.  18+ feet is enough since I don't need the back-bar. 

post #210 of 1397 Old 03-10-2014, 01:55 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:

If I kept my current room size and didn't expand, I could definitely fit two rows in there, and would just need to skip the bar at the back.  I can definitely live with that!

I had to do the same thing and eliminate the back bar....although I still may build one. Not for seating, but as a glorified sofa table. Moggie (Saga of Old Vic Theater) had a back bar and he found he used it all the time as a convenient spot to set "stuff" since the chairs only had drink holders and there were no side tables. I might end up doing the same thing because it was convenient as Hell.

For overflow in my other theater, we had a stack of kid-size bean bags stacked up in a storage closet which all the kids absolutely loved and preferred over the theater seats. We also had a couple of larger adult two-person bean bags that couples enjoyed sitting in, even if there were available seats. In short, temporary seating in the form of bean bags will go a lot further for overflow seating than a 4-chair back bar from my experience but YMMV.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lumagen , Triad , Seaton Sound , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page