AVS Forum banner
673K views 7K replies 343 participants last post by  Ladeback 
#1 · (Edited)
2024 Update Underway: Wisdom Audio, MadVR, Stewart Directors Choice, and much more. Stay tuned!

THE BEAST, UNLEASHED: COMPLETED PHOTOS (March 2021):

On the cost of the room, here's the big kicker: This is the MSRP value of the room, which I'd say is in line with the high performance room I originally envisioned (but didn't appropriately budget for). If I didn't have great relationships with so many awesome dealers, it's what I would have had to pay...but thankfully, I paid significantly less:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#7,250 ·
The only real issue I have had (more than once) is sub titles not working and the movie requires it (unless one happens to speak the language involved). More than once, I have had to stop watching the ripped movie and watch the shiny disc to figure out what is going on. Still not enough to switch to K. I will switch if and when K becomes the only way to watch/listen to full bandwidth movies. Until then, what I have works. I also don't like easy access to chapters using MKV. But it is what it is!!

The only thing that really counts is that Matt has what he wants.

I, too, have ripped about 600 movies/concerts and while I may never watch all of them, I like the choice to do so.

#7,251 ·
100% im happy for matt and NOT knocking his choice. I was just curious i thought everyone was talking about the interface being more slick. not the whole process from purchase to viewing ;)

if i had tons of money and didnt already own 600 movies I would prob go this route as well. but not when i already own the conent....id rather invest the money in other areas that improve the viewing experience (which matt has done too)

#7,252 ·
Yeah @audioguy and @187crew003 I agree with you guys pretty much all the way through! I didn't want to come across as otherwise, or say that I think "we're" wrong, because I think it sounds like the three of us have the same setup! I also agree that "the juice isn't worth the squeeze", to give up the access to my library that I currently have, and spend $10k while doing it.

I just did want to acknowledge that there are some pretty strong Pros to Matt's new awesome setup. I can see the lure, especially if you don't have a huge collection, or don't really prioritize access to it at the top of your list. I mean, it's not like Matt can't just switch over to his Plex whenever he wants. It's just that it's likely that anything "new" will only be on the K.

#7,253 ·
Matt: What size storage did you get with the K-System?

#7,255 ·
Matt: What size storage did you get with the K-System?
Got a 12TB Strato (just watched Tenet...OMGOODNESS!!!) with plans for a 24TB Terra once I reach 75% capacity. Man the interface is the sliiiickest I've ever used.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#7,259 ·
Although I’ve had the projector since early January, and the screen since mid-February, I’ve avoided buying any blockbuster movies since I knew the Kaleidescape was coming next and I wanted to break in the new video chain with that....so I’ve been largely watching 4K Demos, Netflix shows and YouTube.

Well, last night I actually sat down to break in the new video chain with a full movie: Tenet. WOW! What a movie—I loved every moment of it, and the audio and video were both top notch. The audio really encapsulated me from the first scene to the end credits, and I couldn’t stop marveling at the quality of the 4K video. Some have said it’s difficult to follow, some say it’s not. I fall into the latter camp and I can’t wait to revisit it.

It’s the PERFECT movie night movie.

#7,260 ·
I'd have to watch Tenet about 42 more times to understand it. How do you plan to capture the dynamic range of your two sources (Shield/Plex vs Kaleidescape)?

#7,263 ·
Matt I like that move you made with the Kaleidescape it's makes since based on your current goals and setup. Personally I am sitting on 200 4K's even more blu-ray's of which a good majority are one and done occupying space with no desire to Plex it due to busy life schedule .I have been so close to hitting the purchase button on this device but its longevity of the company and cost that keeps me from ultimately jumping.

As always looking forward to the review.

#7,264 ·
Had no idea of all the changes as I have not been receiving update notifications. I like most of the changes.

The screen I have is 153" diagonal 2.35:1, so just a bit smaller than yours. I really like screens around this size because they are about as big as you'd ever want to go for the majority of theater rooms...and you certainly have the light 'horsepower' to adequately light it up. Maybe not the ultimate in HDR nits but certainly better than most when you include the lens and Lumagen image sorcery.

Hopefully AVS notifies me when this thread gets future updates!

#7,265 · (Edited)
"Thanks, Mike! Can’t wait for you to come down...we have to find a way in the post-COVID world. "
That would be great Matt. As far as ripping and using Plex it's not so bad for me now. I use DVDFab and that rips the BR's and 4k's fine. It is even smart enough to find to the correct title if there are
more than one. I also have no problems with "forced substiles" either. IF I have an issue with a movie then I go to MakeMKV. That is a little harder because it doesn't specify the right file if more than one are listed. That's when I just try a web search and that normally works. But congrats on the K-Scape. I am sure it's awesome.

I noticed that people have said they have 400 4k disks or 700 4k disks. To be honest, I have about a 100 ripped and I am having issues trying to find movies that I really want in 4k. If I replaced a lot of my BR's that number would go up for sure. But TBH, BR's look really good on my 65" OLED and the audio is also really good. I am still looking though but as I said, it's hard finding movies that I really want or don't want to replace. I am continuing to look though and hopefully studios still will make disks for a while longer.

Anyway, congrats again Matt. I sure can't wait to come down and check it out. You still have an invitation to see my little theater also when thigs calm down.

#7,266 ·
#7,267 ·
Looks really great Matt. I took a look at there movie store/ They do have a lot of movies now but unless I missed them, how many 4K did they have and how many had audio that was Atmos or DTS:X. I guess it is possible that with your audio setup even if it does not have that audio the upscaling makes it sound awesome regardless. Don't take this as a slam on it. PLEASE. I hope to see it action on day. How many movies do you have so far on the system and did you say you are still using Plex as well?

#7,268 ·
Looks really great Matt. I took a look at there movie store/ They do have a lot of movies now but unless I missed them, how many 4K did they have and how many had audio that was Atmos or DTS:X. I guess it is possible that with your audio setup even if it does not have that audio the upscaling makes it sound awesome regardless. Don't take this as a slam on it. PLEASE. I hope to see it action on day. How many movies do you have so far on the system and did you say you are still using Plex as well?
Thanks! Man, they have every new release and nearly every movie I've searched for. Their selection has become great over the last few years.

#7,269 ·
Kaleidescape Video Review is LIVE!

#7,270 ·
Great video Matt. It does look like such a high end system. Glad it worked out for you. That interface is cool. And the downloading is very convenient.
Looks like though I will sticking with an old school server. But again, I am glad it worked it for you.

#7,273 ·
For someone like Matt who already had a huge file of ripped movies, was using Plex and had a process for ripping them, I'm not sure I understand the value of K either. But this is an interesting addiction hobby. Sometimes we make decisions just because we just want to experience the new "thingie" . We create our own justification. I have lots of experience in that area.

I was a K owner prior to the decision they made on 4K. My absolutely favorite feature was "Scenes". While you can create them using some other tools (e.g. MKTToolNIx), it is a pain in the rear.

I have no doubt that Matt and his family will greatly enjoy the Kaleidescape and that is really all that counts.

#7,280 ·
Hey, I'm waiting on the review unit from Lumagen. They've bene slammed with orders since the 5348 was released and haven't been able to do a build just for the comparison.

#7,278 ·
After watching the YouTube video, I get it a bit more.

The whole tone/tenor of the video (IMO) is the cool slickness of the interface, ease of adding now movies, and what he can do in the UI. It's obvious that he's really liked that functionality for a number of years, and is excited and feels that the implementation was as strong as the hype. He shows how simple it is to click back over to the Plex, so he didn't lose any of that capability either.

For our theater, I say things like "I have Plex, I don't need Kscape". Or "I have a huge NAS, I don't want to have to repurchase it". OR "I don't want to be beholden to their digital copies and not able to move them to another system". Matt says "I love Kscape, and can still use my Plex". I say "I have Plex in our room, but if it's not something I want to buy I can click over to Apple TV, FiOS, etc and just rent it".

After seeing Matt's video, I've changed my thinking a bit. I still don't think it's right for me, but not for any of the reasons I mentioned. I've accepted that all of my reasons above are only because of the price tag associated with adopting it. If I could get Kscape for the same price as a new Shield + HTPC, or a new HD AppleTV, I'd probably add it. Everything else is just reasons that I don't want to pay that pricetag for the system.

I think we all have to make decisions about where we chose to spend our disposable incomes on this hobby. Some choose to add a Kscape, others choose to tear down a perfectly good movie room and rebuild it. One isn't better than the other, it's all personal preference - and we use that when making our decisions. Matt got the Kscape he's dug forever, and I'm getting my newly-rebuilt room.

AND, I still think that both of those things are ok. :D

#7,279 ·
...others choose to tear down a perfectly good movie room and rebuild it.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Verrrry true.

#7,281 ·
My friends over at Kaleidescape just did a case study on Ye Olde Brolic.

Take a look:

#7,286 ·
Glad the Kaleidescape system is working out for you. It does seem really cool. In the store though, it seems to me, unless I am in the wrong spot, some 4K don't have Atmos or DTS:X. Can you tell the difference in your system?
I can’t speak for @BrolicBeast on whether he can tell the difference between native or upmixed content, but yes you are right there are titles in the K store which don’t have immersive audio included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7,284 ·
🤣🤣🤣🤣 Well, Mike... every movie I've personally wanted to purchase has Atmos...and I have several movies in 4K + Atmos that aren't out on 4k blu ray (i.e. Greenland, Hans Live in Prague). So it hasn't been my experience at all.

#7,285 ·
That's cool. It wasn't meant to be a criticism about you getting the system. Just as one example that I quickly found was the Blues Brothers. The disk I bought has DTS:X but the download has
DTS 5.1 and that's it. I am sure if I looked I would find more. That was my only point. But I am glad that it is working the way you need it to work :).

#7,287 ·
That's cool. It wasn't meant to be a criticism about you getting the system. Just as one example that I quickly found was the Blues Brothers. The disk I bought has DTS:X but the download has
DTS 5.1 and that's it. I am sure if I looked I would find more. That was my only point. But I am glad that it is working the way you need it to work :).
Oh yeah Mike, I know your weren't being critical...you and I go back to 2009 and I know that when you ask a question, it's because you really want to know the answer.. I put the laughing emojis not as a sarcastic response to perceived criticism, but because before I posted that I was telling a friend of mine "watch, as soon as I post this link, people are going to comment about what Kaleidescape doesn't do, or have, or how it cost too much, since that's exactly what happened when I posted my last YouTube video here. So I was just laughing at the accuracy of my prediction! I didn't think you were criticizing at all, my man!

#7,288 ·
I did not think you thought that I was. I was just curious that's all. Listen, while I did have that question, the entire system is really cool. I am just not at that level. But again, I am glad that you are happy and that it does what you want. For me, besides the price, I don't mind the ripping and running things through Plex. For me, it's simple enough. Again, I am are getting what you want and need out the system. So I don't have to search again, your system has how many speakers? X.X.X? It's only a matter a time before this becomes a HT of the month.