AVS Forum banner
673K views 7K replies 343 participants last post by  Ladeback 
#1 · (Edited)
2024 Update Underway: Wisdom Audio, MadVR, Stewart Directors Choice, and much more. Stay tuned!

THE BEAST, UNLEASHED: COMPLETED PHOTOS (March 2021):

On the cost of the room, here's the big kicker: This is the MSRP value of the room, which I'd say is in line with the high performance room I originally envisioned (but didn't appropriately budget for). If I didn't have great relationships with so many awesome dealers, it's what I would have had to pay...but thankfully, I paid significantly less:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#7,291 ·
The K system's target audience is, INMO, not the typical AVS member. Their target audience are those who use their integrator for designing and implementing a home theater. DIY would never be a consideration. Nor, in fact, would the Zappiti system that is easier to use than DIY. They would never know the few shortcoming of the K system, or are perfectly OK with them. My primary beef has been and still is the lack of a backup if K goes south. But cost notwithstanding, it works for the vast majority of their potential audience. And given Matts life (two kids, wife, job, etc) I get why the ripping process is less acceptable than it is to someone like me. And if shiny discs vaporize, I would be one of the first to sign up. So good for Matt. His is clearly pleased and that is all that matters.

#7,293 ·
Hahahaha yes! Go for it, my man! Give her the surprise she's already expecting!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#7,296 ·
New Lumagen Radiance Pro 5348 YouTube Video is LIVEEEE!!!!!!!

#7,298 · (Edited)
Interesting. It would help me if you could somehow point to the various comparisons and describe the differences.

I can probably address the audio improvements of the 5 series by sending another HDMI signal to my Trinnov from my movie source and bypass my 4 series. But I am surprised how easy it is to see the video differences. Were the two units set up IDENTICALLY??

#7,299 ·
Interesting. It would help me if you could somehow point to the various comparisons and describe the differences.

I can probably address the audio improvements of the 5 series by sending another HDMI signal to my Trinnov from my movie source and bypass my 4 series. But I am surprised how easy it is to see the video differences. Were the two units set up IDENTICALLY??
Identical camera position, identical software, identical firmware, and when one was in use, the other was unplugged. Something to keep in mind--the 4-series does not degrade the audio so I don't think bypassing its audio would see an improvement. The 5348 just gets a better signal to the AV Processor. Think THETAs jitter jail from back in the day, but the approach is different here. It's an audiophile component that improves the signal itself by drastically reducing HDMI jitter to multiples below the standard.

#7,300 ·
Thought u said in your video that stringed instruments and female voices were better!

#7,301 ·
For sure! The 5348 without a doubt has better audio, but because of its circuity....so the 4 Series doesn't degrade audio as it already has low jitter. The 5 Series just makes the audio even better.

#7,302 ·
The Beast got a Brain today!!! #Control4

#7,307 ·
Hey bro, have someone update all the firmware in the house. It'll take a while, but the remotes should start working again.

#7,313 ·
They got buried under the rubble that resulted from the hurricane that is your speedy 1.5 build as it passed through! lol. I've actually been posting them to Facebook and Instagram--I have a short one that I posted to youtube (maybe a minute long). Will be starting the new series on the Smart Home soon. While doing the upgrade, I found (or according to the Mrs., I was reminded of) evidence of water damage in the family room ceiling drywall. that can only mean one thing--a leak somewhere. No escaping it now. I've been trying to find it before continuing....needle in a haystack. Will need to call a professional plumber in to find the leak and fix it. Meanwhile, I have 24 high-quality Episode in ceiling speakers w/ 8" drivers sitting near my laundry room just waiting for some love--several of which are earmarked for that specific ceiling.

No photo description available.

#7,315 ·
Hi Matt, to take you wayyyy back in time…I’m
wondering how well you feel the double layer drywall strips worked between your wall studs? I’m considering doing it in my ceiling since my master bedroom is directly above my room.

I saw in your most recent YouTube video that you are involved in room design now. Is the double layer drywall strips between studs something you’d still utilize today?

I know typically they are recommended for ceilings in order to reduce footfall noise so I’m curious how effective you feel it is for your walls.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7,316 ·
I can't speak directly to your question since I'm not Matt, but if footfall noise is a concern, I would recommend looking into kinetics wave hangers instead of other brand clips for hat channel decoupling. They have data on their site and I think something like 12-16dB better performance with respect to impact/footfall noise if I remember correctly.

If I had to do it over, that would probably be something I'd want to do. I do have some footfall noise that's noticable in my room, but not terrible with standard clip and hat channel, 2x5/8"DW+GG. (I didn't do extra drywall between the ceiling joists though)

#7,319 ·
Something NEW is brewing in The Beast!! ETA: this Friday!

IT'S. ABOUT. TO. GO. DOWN!!!!!!!

Font Gadget Audio equipment Circle Musical instrument accessory

#7,326 ·
Merry Christmas everyone - and remember the reason for the season!!

#7,327 · (Edited)
Hey Hey! BIG CHANGES COMING TO THE BEAST UNLEASHED! Question for the group: Meyer Sound Blue Horns or Wisdom Audio L4i? What say ye?

#7,329 ·
Hey Wayne, good to hear from you! In my excitement I framed this as an either/or, but it’s definitely not that at all. I’m curious to see what folks think of both speaker models. You’ll absolutely be invited over once the overhauls are complete!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#7,336 ·
The only time it would be necessary is if, for example, you had three rows and the folks in the first row were below the bottom of the rear speakers. I don't have two rows, but I do have a row of seats with a bar behind it. I use the identical speakers all around (but not two sets of surrounds) and my rear surrounds are NOT angled like that. In the case of Matt, it would depend on the height of his riser. Here is a photo of the rear of my room - no slanted speakers.

All of that said, if slanting the rear speakers were required to get sound to the first row, knowing what I know about these speakers, I would do so in a heart beat!! You must hear a properly treated room, with the appropriate calibration to understand what an all Line Source Wisdom system does.
Light Comfort Couch Grey Floor

#7,337 ·
In this overhead diagram I noticed the horizontal distance of the 6 Atmos ceiling speakers are relatively close together, and would like to hear the decision behind it. I'm in the process of building a theater with 4 Atmos speakers, and all of the diagrams I can find have them inline with the front L/R:
Sleeve Rectangle Circle Font Technology

Were you focused on making all speaker placements perfect for the 'sweet spot'?

#7,338 ·
Hey, yes sir! The goal was to have sonic perfection in the MLP! Although in honesty, that design is from 2015 before Dolby released it's in-home positioning recommendations. Would I do it differently today? Absolutely not! The atmos sound stage the room gets is terrific... I haven't heard better, ever.

#7,343 ·
BIG CHANGES COMING TO THE BEAST, UNLEASHED!!!!

Screen:
153" wide Stewart Directors Choice 2.0 aspect ratio Constant Image Area w/ 4-way masking (2.40 will be the most used AR).

Speakers:
LCR: Wisdom Audio Sage Cinema Line 3 (x 3)
Wides: Wisdom Audio L8i (x2) - angled toward MLP
Front Row Surrounds: Wisdom Audio Sage Cinema Line 2 (x2)
Rear Row Surrounds: Wisdom Audio Sage Cinema Line 2 (x2)
Back Surrounds: Wisdom Audio Sage Cinema Line 2 (x2)
In-Ceiling Speakers: Wisdom Audio ICS7a (x6)

Subwoofers: 80hz to ~30Hz
Front Right Corner: Wisdom Audio STS Subwoofer
Front Left Corner: Wisdom Audio STS Subwoofer
Rear Right Corner: Wisdom Audio S90i Subwoofer (x2)

Subwoofers: ~30Hz to 7Hz
Front Right Corner Floor: Seaton Sound F18 (x2)
Front Left Corner Floor: Seaton Sound F18 (x2)
Rear Center of Wall: Seaton Sound DS18-12 (x4)

Processor:
Trinnov Altitude 32

Amplifiers:
Trinnov Amplitude16 (x2)

#7,344 ·
Subwoofers: 80hz to ~30Hz
Front Right Corner: Wisdom Audio STS Subwoofer
Front Left Corner: Wisdom Audio STS Subwoofer

Subwoofers: ~30Hz to 7Hz
Front Right Corner Floor: Seaton Sound F18 (x2)
Front Left Corner Floor: Seaton Sound F18 (x2)
Rear Center of Wall: Seaton Sound DS18-12 (x4)
You win!! Hands down with the most woofage per cubic foot. Assuming these are all going into your theater!! If there is something called "too much woofage", you will own it.

I mean, just WOW!!!

#7,354 · (Edited)
Matt: I'm calibrating a theater next week that will be VERY similar to yours: Line 3's as LCRs, Line 2's as Surrrounds, 2 rows of seats, 4 STS subs - one in each corner, and 4 (vs 6 in your room) ICS7a's for Atmos. The room is professionally treated. And, of course, a Trinnov. While he may be giving up the very last ocatve (~7Hz to 14hz), I have no doubt the LFE channel will be more than adequate. HIs room looks wider than mine but maybe the same length and taller ceilings. AND, for the first time this year doing Wisdom theaters, the MLP will be where it belongs - not up against the rear wall!! When calibrated, it has the potential to be in the top 2 or 3 I have ever done, mine included. I say that, even given my room will go lower. Why?" Each of his subs is directly controllable - so getting better seat to seat bass performance via MSO is more likely.

Your room has the potential to be the best, not because of the extended bass via your Seatons (though certainly a benefit), but use of the S90's (or whatever version you will be using) that have the potential to improve the mid/upper bass slamm. But I hope not --- because I don't want to tear up my room so that I can add some of those subs !!!

Should be fun.

#7,355 ·
Matt: I'm calibrating a theater next week that will be VERY similar to yours: Line 3's as LCRs, Line 2's as Surrrounds, 2 rows of seats, 4 STS subs - one in each corner, and 4 (vs 6 in your room) ICS7a's for Atmos. The room is professionally treated. And, of course, a Trinnov. While he may be giving up the very last ocatve (~7Hz to 14hz), I have no doubt the LFE channel will be more than adequate. HIs room looks wider than mine but maybe the same length and taller ceilings. AND, for the first time this year doing Wisdom theaters, the MLP will be where it belongs - not up against the rear wall!! When calibrated, it has the potential to be in the top 2 or 3 I have ever done, mine included. I say that, even given my room will go lower. Why?" Each of his subs is directly controllable - so getting better seat to seat bass performance via MSO is more likely.

Your room has the potential to be the best, not because of the extended bass via your Seatons (though certainly a benefit), but use of the S90's (or whatever version you will be using) that have the potential to improve the mid/upper bass slamm. But I hope not --- because I don't want to tear up my room so that I can add some of those subs !!!

Should be fun.
Oh niceeee!!!! Would love to hear about your experience with this room! Four STS's will be amazing!! I'm definitely interested in hearing about how deeply they can play while maintaining enthusiast levels. I won't be receiving mine until September (tear rolls down cheek).

I've been hearing about the MSO tool for years. I think I even downloaded it a couple of years ago but never took it for a test drive. It sounds like you have mastered it, man! Would you mind giving us all a quick primer on Multi Sub Optimizer, what it does, and how it does what it does?