AVS Forum banner
673K views 7K replies 343 participants last post by  Ladeback 
#1 · (Edited)
2024 Update Underway: Wisdom Audio, MadVR, Stewart Directors Choice, and much more. Stay tuned!

THE BEAST, UNLEASHED: COMPLETED PHOTOS (March 2021):

On the cost of the room, here's the big kicker: This is the MSRP value of the room, which I'd say is in line with the high performance room I originally envisioned (but didn't appropriately budget for). If I didn't have great relationships with so many awesome dealers, it's what I would have had to pay...but thankfully, I paid significantly less:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#7,429 ·
Hey all, just an update...I've been so slammed that the primary showroom has taken a back seat for much of this year. We did put. together a secondary lifestyle showroom, though! Focal Sopra No.3, Anthem AVM90, ATI 330X amps, MadVR Envy Extreme, Kaleidescape, Control4 and more!

More to come on both rooms!
Output device Audio equipment Gas Loudspeaker Electronic device

Wood Kitchen appliance Gas Hardwood Audio equipment

#7,430 ·
Focal. Sweet. I am sure they blow my 1028's out of the water, but, in a review someone said my speakers were 80% of the old Alto's.
Happy you have Focal Matt. And you have Perlisten as well. Damn. I read that they were really supposed to be great speakers.
I wonder if any in the $8,000 range would destroy my 1028's. Not that I am thinking right now about that. If anything, I
would swap subs. But that would be hard to do for a number of reasons. I am glad you turned a hobby into a business.

#7,431 ·
Focal. Sweet. I am sure they blow my 1028's out of the water, but, in a review someone said my speakers were 80% of the old Alto's.
Happy you have Focal Matt. And you have Perlisten as well. Damn. I read that they were really supposed to be great speakers.
I wonder if any in the $8,000 range would destroy my 1028's. Not that I am thinking right now about that. If anything, I
would swap subs. But that would be hard to do for a number of reasons. I am glad you turned a hobby into a business.
Hey Mike, I'm definitely loving the Focal Sound. That center channel is actually a 1000 Utopia in a wall-mount frame (all made by Focal). Maaaaan subs have come such a long way....there are smaller subs on the market now that perform ridiculously well into the infrasonic realm, but I think since what you have works so well, you don't need to even think about changing out speakers or subs.

#7,432 · (Edited)
That new Utopia 1000 line does look amazing. And thanks for the nice words. I am just thinking that's all. I don't have the Crowson OFF now, to give my stomach a rest. I noticed that the Submermsive is not rocking the room like I thought it was with all movies. With Tenet, it was rocking the room hitting 110 db at -10db on my Marantz AV1. And I was feeling it, even with my seat on the Crowson spacers. With Elysium. I easily felt the infrasonic in the beginning when you see the space station with the Crowson. Now, I don't feel a thing. I have yet to measure that though. It just seems there is variance, where I did not notice it before.

That's all. I miss the tactile sensation, but I don't want to go against... Well you know my situation. That's all. Again, congrats on the new venture :cool:(y).

P.S Is there a website for the sub you mentioned?

#7,433 ·
Hey everyone! OOOOOO SO EXCITING!!! SO, THE 4-WAY STEWART DIRECTORS CHOICE MASKING SCREEN US UPPPP, FULLY PROGRAMMED IN CONTROL4, AND IT IS GLORIOUS!!!!!! ALSO, I CONDUCTED THE FIRST CALIBRATION OF THE NEW WISDOM SYSTEM.....THE TRINNOV AND WISDOM COMBINATION IS THE BEST AUDIO I'VE EVER HEARD, BAR NONE.

I've done something controversial, but to me...there's simply no controversy. I've added subwoofers for...GASP....directional bass!! So I have the absolute Brolic-Level Wisdom STS subwoofers for the LFE channel.....and then I have four Wisdom S90i subwoofers one assigned to right wall surrounds, one assigned to left wall surrounds, and one assigned to the surround back left speaker and one assigned to the surround back right speaker. After a ton of experimenting, I can honestly say this is an absolutely amazing way to do bass.

Masking Report:

i've programmed the following width/AR combinations:

10ft 16:9
10ft 2.40
11ft 16:9
11ft 2.40
13ft 2.0 w/ MadVR Envy NLS-ing the 16:9 image to the 2.0 screen.
13ft 2.40

I use the MadVR Envy Extreme to snap the image to the different screen sizes as the masking panels move into place. Really slick!

More updates are forthcoming!!

#7,435 ·
Man, I forgot to mention dual Perlisten d215s subwoofers for infrasonics!! (I can also engage them as the primary subs in the room thanks to a Trinnov preset).

#7,436 ·
Wow Matt. Just wow. Do I have an invite some day when I am better? I guess I can say it here. I am fighting
Stomach cancer so I really want to stay close to home for a while. But at some point, I would love
to hear your system. I need to talk to Craig about something, and then I may ask you a question.
But an awesome system Matt. Do you ever thing you have too much bass? Just asking :).

#7,437 ·
Hey all, just posting a room update!

First--upgraded from six Atmos to eight Atmos channels--all are the Wisdom Audio ICS7a speakers. Since The Beast, Unleashed is also a showroom, we are making the room cutting edge. Thus, we have removed high voltage lighting and are replacing it with lighting powered over Cat6 cable!!! That's right....a Cat6 cable plugs into the light, and then the other end of that Cat6 cable is a home-run to a Power over Ethernet (PoE) switch in the theater rack. All control is via Control4 (including light switches, which have zero physical connection to the actual light fixtured). This will be a combination of PoeWIT lighting and Colorbeam USA for strip lighting. we are using 3" square lighting.

We finally got our wide speakers installed--the Wisdom Audio L8i. These are an absolutely astounding speaker often used for LCR duty, but we go HARD in BROLIC LAND!!!!! To increase the angle that we could point the L8i in while maximizing cabinet volume behind the fabric walls, we actually did not use the UniGrip mounting bracket traditionally. We used screws in the top and bottom slots of the UniGrip mounting brackets to keep everything stable and surface mounted the UniGrip flange on the the angled face of the MDF box. Turned out quite well.

Also, we really, really love the Sony projector. This is the Stewart Directors Choice screen masked to 2.40:1 (automatically triggered by the Kaleidescape, although it can be done by MadVR Envy Extreme as well.

Next up: we got the fabric walls up......just to pull them down again. We have just received acoustic treatments from Acoustic Frontiers after ordering a new full acoustic treatment plan from them. They now manufacture their own treatments, so we even signed on as dealers for their treatment products. here's an example of their wave diffusor product:

The room has been fully functional since last month, and we have had several people pass through for demonstrations. We are planning for a G2G around March or April...maybe May so we can hit a holiday weekend. More details to come! I have a few more updates to share, but I want to share along with pictures so i'll need to capture some.

Attachments

#7,438 ·
#7,439 ·
Hey @youthman you may want to check this theater out when the upgrades are done for a home theater tour.

@BrolicBeast, you ought to come check out MWAVE this June in Kansas City.

Hey man, I've definitely looked at MWAVE--the thing is, I observe the biblical Sabbath (sunset Friday through sunset Saturday) so I would only actually get two days of show, instead of three. Otherwise, I'd get tickets in a heartbeat.