4000W HT Setup, UPS/Electrical Considerations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-16-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for some feedback on how to handle power for theater.

There are currently 3x 20 amp circuits feeding the equipment room/rack.

Total wattage on the amps is just at 4000W. In addition, there is a Integra Pre-Amp, PJ, and several video sources (i.e. Blu-Ray, Xbox, etc.). I was planning on a Furman conditioner but am struggling with how the system will be configured when including a UPS and potentially surge protection for amps.

Several questions:

1. Any recommendation for a UPS and what equipment to put on the UPS? I know I will want the projector and automation controller on that at minimum.
2. Anyone using integrated remote reboot functionality?
3. What are some recommendations for protecting the amps?
4. Any need to consider the ExactPower solution or something similar?

Any add'l info needed, let me know. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-16-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm planning the ExactPower rackmount 5 kVA unit, with a Tripp-Lite 6 kVA UPS in front of that.

I know this is a bit over-the-top, but we are at the end of the power line, and are subject to frequent outages. Also, we will have a standby generator, so I am concerned about switching transients.

The power feed to the rack will be a 240 volt 30 amp circuit, which should handle everything in my setup.
d0tnet likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-16-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post

I'm planning the ExactPower rackmount 5 kVA unit, with a Tripp-Lite 6 kVA UPS in front of that.

I know this is a bit over-the-top, but we are at the end of the power line, and are subject to frequent outages. Also, we will have a standby generator, so I am concerned about switching transients.

The power feed to the rack will be a 240 volt 30 amp circuit, which should handle everything in my setup.

Thanks for sharing. We will also have a standby genset so that is a good point. Are you planning on having your amps plugged into the ExactPower unit? Any concerns with limiting amp power potential?
post #4 of 7 Old 11-16-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Yes, I plan to have my amps and powered subs plugged into the Exactpower box. I don't expect any power limitation problems. Remember the average power drawn by amps is way below the nameplate power rating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
My sub amp (qsv 4050) runs on it's own 20amp and the rest of the gear (avantage yamaha running some speakers, outlaw 7500 running lcr + sides, 2 htpcs, bluray, xbox, hdhrp + cable, lighting modules, switch, etc etc) is all on their own 20amp behind a panamax 1500. 3 is plenty.
d0tnet likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-16-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

My sub amp (qsv 4050) runs on it's own 20amp and the rest of the gear (avantage yamaha running some speakers, outlaw 7500 running lcr + sides, 2 htpcs, bluray, xbox, hdhrp + cable, lighting modules, switch, etc etc) is all on their own 20amp behind a panamax 1500. 3 is plenty.

Understood. is your sub amp directly plugged into the 20 amp circuit or is it protected by some sort of similar device as the panamax 1500? I have seen a lot of posts with people claiming amps plugged into a UPS or power conditioner actually limit their performance. Just trying to get a defacto answer on how to proceed and finalize my rack, this is the last piece to the puzzle.

I am leaning towards a Furman or Panamax power conditioner/UPS for the PJ, video sources, and pre-amp and just plugging the amps into a Tripp Lite Isobar via a Middle Atlantic power strip. Any feedback on this?
post #7 of 7 Old 11-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
I triple ground rodded my meter panel and have less than 10ohms of resistance. My sub amp is plugged straight to the wall, so to speak. Everything else is hidden behind the panamax, one htpc and the pj are the only devices on the ups/backup bank power of the panamax
d0tnet likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page