Building HT in basement from scratch, advice needed - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 11-26-2013, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After some thought, I am leaning to just rebuilding all the walls with the exception of the one wall that is shared currently. I am going to build a double wall in front of it. Don't think I will lose too much space compared to if I had to use clips and 2x4s are cheap. Few items to ask about....
1. Planning on making new walls 24" on center.
2. When putting up the ceiling, was going to use 2x8 or 2x10. Can I lay them flat and still remain safe and sturdy? Do they have to be vertical like the joists? The most weight I can foresee it holding would be the projector. Don't want the ceiling to sag!
3. For the HVAC I was thinking of running the ceiling boards the opposite direction of the other ceiling boards. Figure this will give support for the dry wall. Not sure how it works out yet. Will try to post a sketch tomorrow and post it.
4. Do I need to place anything under the boards, like a mat or anything to decouple the floor. Am securing directly to the concrete foundation floor. Worried it will cause flanking through the concrete.

Hoping to get a good amount of work started this weekend, specifically all the framing. Will post updates when I get some work done.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 11-27-2013, 05:28 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 790
no on the flat concept, did you check the span tables on your choice of 8s versus 10s?
post #33 of 42 Old 11-27-2013, 05:50 AM

yeah,Sources - Most video/movies will be in blu-ray format.  Will also use for football games and possibly x-box gaming.  Hadn't thought about going with 2.35:1 but might not be a bad idea.  

paXMwh

post #34 of 42 Old 11-27-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

no on the flat concept, did you check the span tables on your choice of 8s versus 10s?

Just confirming, I cannot lay the boards flat, I have to have them vertical like a floor joist?  That sucks!!  Would lose way too much height if I do it that way.  Guess I can just use clips for the ceiling and build the walls totally decoupled.  Will try to look to do something similar to a staggered stud if I can, but thinking the clips will be more realistic.

Any thoughts on the p-trap and how to work around it?

Thanks!

post #35 of 42 Old 11-27-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

So it is going to cut into the height of half of my room, but going to create a complete room inside a room using 2x6's.  The one question is securing to the floor.  Can I nail directly into the concrete or will this cause issues with flanking?  Will be unhappy if I go through all this work of complete decouple, and have flanking from the concrete slab.  My plan is to use a nail gun and nail the boards to the concrete floor.  The 2x6 joists will rest on the walls that are built 1'' from the foundation walls.  For the floor, can I just install normal carpet and not worry about flanking?  I would have DD and GG on the walls and use acoustic sealant.

Thoughts?

Hoping to start some of the framing over the holiday weekend if no one thinks nailing right into the floor is an issue.

post #36 of 42 Old 11-27-2013, 08:21 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 790
need more pics on the p-trap and a description of what it connects. Maybe you can raise it.
post #37 of 42 Old 11-27-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I don't think nailing to the concrete increases the energy transfer between the walls and the floor. It's my understanding that the weight of the wall would do as much to couple those structures - so it's inevitable. Thus, the best practice is the same for decoupled walls as for any other.
post #38 of 42 Old 11-27-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

need more pics on the p-trap and a description of what it connects. Maybe you can raise it.

Figured out it was horribly put together.  Is used for the drain of the laundry room above it.  If I really wanted to, could remove it completely.  Since I decided to completely decouple the ceiling and use the 2x6's, it isn't an issue.  Ceiling will be 7' even now by the seating area instead of 7'3''.  Hate losing the 3'', but think it will work out well in the long run, especially since the half with the screen is only 6'9'' due to HVAC.  Thanks for comments though.  Always love to hear your thoughts!!!!

Hoping next time I post it will be with pictures of a framed out room!!!!

post #39 of 42 Old 11-28-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 95
You cannot remove the P trap unless it is acceptable to have sewer gas entering your home.
( - Not a good idea...)

You may be able to relocate the P trap, either higher in the floor joist cavity, or possibly into the
laundry room above.

When you say drain, do you mean the washer drain or a floor drain?

Those inches of ceiling height can be important when you start getting around to the 7' mark.
I've often wondered if some low reclined loungers would work well as the front row in a low ceiling room?
post #40 of 42 Old 12-11-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What progress have you made Aces?

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
post #41 of 42 Old 12-15-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Would love to say I have made a ton of progress and the room is almost done, but I would be lying. Sadly, real life created major detours and the movie room got put on the back burner. Had to remodel a bathroom and bedroom for my daughter and some other issues came up. Currently I have all the framing up except half of one wall. Have to wait for the funds to rough in the piping for a bathroom my wife wants. No point building the wall only to rip it up to install the pipes. Hoping this can be done in the next few months and I can get back to work.

Thanks for checking in and will be sure to post and add pictures once things get back rolling.

KA
post #42 of 42 Old 12-15-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I understand the "Real Life" issue very well, it has delayed the start of my build over a year, but I am finally back into planning mode again...
Hopefully you'll get back on track and it'll take off.

Good Luck

M

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp7004
Gear in this thread - Bp7004 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page