Riser Issues - Projector Height - Design Change Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Well....I have no excuses, other than my WIFE was TOTALLY against traditional theater seating...then she changed her mind at the very end.

What this means is now we have the option of considering two rows of traditional theater seating with a riser on the second row.

HOWEVER - this also means that my theater is nearly done and I did not account for this....thus my issue.

If I added a riser - say 8" (riser calc says I need closer to 10", but ignore that for the moment) a 6' tall guy (like myself) would JUST JUST clear the bottom of the projector with no shoes on.  The bottom of the projector sits 80" off the floor before carpet and padding.

The yellow is where the projector sits....I can not tear into the ceiling and start from scratch...plus I really need the projector their for my screen brightness, etc.  Epson 6010 at 120" 1.1 gain screen.  Can't really move the seats further or closer back either, or if I do I think the front row will be way out of the sweet spot and that is dead important to me.

I think I have 2 options, and looking for creative others.  (Mr. Big actually came out and helped me a bit back from his trip to Ohio and he mentioned this, but we said NO NO, never want a riser, but that is another story.)

1)  build a 8" riser and just be super careful and tell other tall folks to watch their heads.

2) eliminate the riser and buy back row riser height seats from Seatcraft I think, the Rialto seats.

Any creative ideas or comments please let me know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Build 2 risers!!! Or a riser with a mini riser for your back row.

I needed more height than I could do for a riser, so I added a small riser for the rear row with 2x4s. Feels totally natural sitting down and getting up.

This way you can do a 6"riser with 4" mini riser.

The seats sit at the edge of the mini riser.

post #3 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Awwwwwwwwww dang!

Ok, so let me get this clear....in your image, the seats are UP TOP and you walk on the middle section. Then your front seats go directly in front of the riser.

post #4 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

The yellow is where the projector sits....I can not tear into the ceiling and start from scratch...plus I really need the projector their for my screen brightness, etc.  Epson 6010 at 120" 1.1 gain screen.

It appears you have your projector setup with a throw range of ~12-13ft. The 6120 should be able to project a 120" diagonal image from as close as 11' 9" to as far back as 25' 2". Are you sure you can't move your projector forward? Even a few inches would help with people walking in the back aisle. Or you could move it back directly overhead of the back row seats... it wouldn't be in the way of the aisle and when seated it shouldn't be a problem unless you have a bunch of NBA player friends.

Another option would be to do away with the middle seat in the back row and block the aisle with some sort of drink/snack table... of course then one of your guests would have to walk around the front row to get to their seat.

I fully understand not wanting to cut into the ceiling again... but that really is a "don't want to" more than a "can not"... it's messy and takes time... but it can be done successfully if you want that back row enough.

post #5 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Love this forum....

So...the problem I have is my duct work LIMITED exactly where I could build the support for the projector.  It could move forward a touch, but then it would be at is closest range and I was told that is not a great idea.  I can't mount any further back because THEN my soffit would interfere with the projector beam.

So I am really stuck with it where it is...or I guess I could tear the front screen wall out and lower the screen a bit, then I have other issues.

post #6 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I have a similar setup as Oman, but I added my mini-riser after the main riser was carpeted. Main riser is 12-3/4" high and I built a 3" mini-riser just under the footprint of the rear seats to get an overall boost of 15-3/4".

Main Riser

Mini Riser (2x4s laid flat, topped with 2 layers of 3/4" osb and wrapped in black outdoor carpet)

Based on the height of my seats, a 3" mini riser is as tall as I could go without it feeling like you had to leap up into the chair.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #7 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awwwwwwwwww dang!

Ok, so let me get this clear....in your image, the seats are UP TOP and you walk on the middle section. Then your front seats go directly in front of the riser.

Pretty much. Tough to see in the pics but this is with the seats.

post #8 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Is your screen a 120" 16:9 or 2.35:1? If it's 2.35:1, I'd pull both rows forward so the pj sits over the middle seat in the back row, clearing the aisle between rows.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #9 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Is your screen a 120" 16:9 or 2.35:1? If it's 2.35:1, I'd pull both rows forward so the pj sits over the middle seat in the back row, clearing the aisle between rows.

no...it is 16:9 that is the problem...

however, my projector has been stored for the last 12 months, while deal with inlaws health problems and the sorts.  Perhaps I move the seats up and see if 9' is too close.  I think it will be, but who knows.

post #10 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Love this forum....

So...the problem I have is my duct work LIMITED exactly where I could build the support for the projector.  It could move forward a touch, but then it would be at is closest range and I was told that is not a great idea.  I can't mount any further back because THEN my soffit would interfere with the projector beam.

So I am really stuck with it where it is...or I guess I could tear the front screen wall out and lower the screen a bit, then I have other issues.

The 6010 has vertical lens shift... move it back over the back row and lower it a little to clear the soffit... then lens shift the image up to hit the screen properly. If you go back and use lens shift you should only have to go lower by a very small number of inches.

post #11 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Will the screen be on the front wall or is it pulled forward like the one on your floor plan? Since you have your L & R speakers to the sides of the screen, I was wondering if you could increase your viewing distance by pushing the screen closer to the front wall (if it isn't there already). Center speaker above or below screen?

Spaceman Theater Build

post #12 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post

The 6010 has vertical lens shift... move it back over the back row and lower it a little to clear the soffit... then lens shift the image up to hit the screen properly. If you go back and use lens shift you should only have to go lower by a very small number of inches.

I think I still have an issue with the duct work then...meaning I have no way of re-enforcing the mount as the back side bolts would dig into the main HVAC return line.  I will try playing with it, but I think there was a reason why it is where it is.

post #13 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Will the screen be on the front wall or is it pulled forward like the one on your floor plan? Since you have your L & R speakers to the sides of the screen, I was wondering if you could increase your viewing distance by pushing the screen closer to the front wall (if it isn't there already). Center speaker above or below screen?

So the screen is forward of the front wall, as I have a 65" plasma behind it for my everyday, WII, XBOX, etc use.  The screen is already built and mounted into a recessed soffit that took nearly 6 months to build and design....

Like I said, I LOVE MY WIFE, but man hard to believe she now WANTS Dedicated theater seating.

I think the MINI RISER is really my ticket....I did not even think about that...I really think it will work.   That means my plans for the weekend are now changed of course  :-)

post #14 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI I'm about an inch shorter than you and found that anything over 4" would make it odd getting on and off the seats. So 2x4's and the decking made about 4" and worked out nicely.

I like Spaceman's approach also, which adds some flexibility if you want to make the step higher and the mini riser lower.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

post #15 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You also could bring the screen forward, and that would move the projector back.
post #16 of 16 Old 11-23-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

You also could bring the screen forward, and that would move the projector back.

Yes I could technically, but the work would be overwhelming for me.

I think the mini riser idea is the winner!  As always thanks everyone for their comments!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page