TOOL TIME - black friday deals for the theater builder - tools only please -time to plan - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 11-24-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 530
I found an advance copy of the black friday ad for Home Depot and gave it a review here are the "Deals" I found.

The Rigid portable table saw, the one in my truck is on sale at $399 normally $499. It does drop occasionally during the year but now is another opportunity.

They have a 5 ft fiberglass step ladder from Werner for $15. This is the only ladder you would ever need in most average height rooms.

My favorite spade drill bits "Daredevil" from Bosch are on sale for $4.88 for a 6 piece set, these bits are perfect for wiring chores. They literally pull themselves through the studs. I've lent my drill to a couple of other contractors on jobs and they always ask what kind of bit is that, they wanted a set. I'm going to get an extra set.

There are other promotions on every brand of cordless tools and the pancake compressor and gun combos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looks like that Daredevil set is 4.88 right now on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DSB5006-DareDevil-6-Piece-Spade/dp/B002BYUXIW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1385354446&sr=8-7&keywords=daredevil+bit

War Eagle!
post #3 of 27 Old 11-25-2013, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

good catch now I have to figure out what else I need to qualify for prime shipping, maybe stock up on staples for my fabric work.
post #4 of 27 Old 11-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

You mean you have to figure out what else to ADD to an amazon order? I always seem to have to figure out what to take out. biggrin.gif Amazon is my favorite place to buy things. They probably have lost $10,000+ from me with the prime 2 days free shipping.

War Eagle!
post #5 of 27 Old 11-25-2013, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
HD has the Rigid sliding compound mitre saw on sale for $399 too (at least up here in Canada). Seems like a good deal -- if only the stand wasn't another $200.

The Big Bay Home Theater Build Thread
My personal theater build on Kempenfelt Bay, Barrie Ontario Canada
post #6 of 27 Old 11-25-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I used my Rigid Miter Saw Utility Vehicle (That is actually what they call it) today. has worked great, I have a Dewalt Miter saw on it. There is a local outlet store and I picked up a "Blemished" unit for $139. Never found the blemish, but I've added a few.
post #7 of 27 Old 11-25-2013, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I used my Rigid Miter Saw Utility Vehicle (That is actually what they call it) today. has worked great, I have a Dewalt Miter saw on it.

Yah, that MSUV they have is pretty awesome smile.gif

The Big Bay Home Theater Build Thread
My personal theater build on Kempenfelt Bay, Barrie Ontario Canada
post #8 of 27 Old 11-27-2013, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
bigskytool.com is having a nice deal on some refurbished grade-A hitachi tools. use coupon PREBF$$ for a 25% discount, though shipping was prohibitive ($75) on the 12" sliding miter shipped to Texas
post #9 of 27 Old 11-27-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Studio Six Digital has a discount on their different app-plugins to AudioTools (that counts as tools in my book at least)

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #10 of 27 Old 11-28-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Here is the Porter Cable Compressor/Tool Combo Kit from Home Depot. I think I will pick it up unless someone knows it is cheaper elsewhere. I have been borrowing from a friend and I need to just pony up and get some of my own.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-Compressor-and-3-Tool-Combo-Kit-PCFP12234/203471431?N=c27h#.UpdksaV_rwI

Now that my project is merely hours from completion it is the perfect time to pick up the tools I should have purchased from the start. At least now I think I know what I will need for future projects and a more powerful drill/impact tool in a small form factor is on my list. Can anyone point me to a good deal on something they favor? I found these two. What do you think?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-Li-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-DCK280C2/202922366?N=c7s2#.UpdlwKV_rwI

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PCCK602L2-Lithium-Tool-Combo/dp/B00CM7Z2KW/ref=sr_1_3?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1385653175&sr=1-3

All I know is I want small and powerful.
post #11 of 27 Old 11-28-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
post #12 of 27 Old 11-28-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
It looks like that is the same compressor I linked to above. I am wondering it it is any good myself. If you need a finish nailer, brad nailer, and stapler then for $100 more the deal I linked to includes those as well.
post #13 of 27 Old 11-28-2013, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have an older version of the Porter Cable pancake compressor + 3 nail gun set. It's been great to me through a deck build and basement build, although I've primarily used it with a Bostich framing nailer. Looks like a decent deal on the Porter Cable framing nailer too at Home Depot. Framing nailers are way easier than hammers, and it's not even close.
post #14 of 27 Old 11-28-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 183
If you are going to use a pneumatic impact driver (for wheel lugs, etc) - look closely at the air consumption specs, and talk to someone who uses one with a similar set up. Impact drivers use a lot of air, and a large tank can be especially important.
post #15 of 27 Old 11-28-2013, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I originally bought a large capacity air compressor because I envisioned doing some painting that would require a high volume of air, I used it at my house for my own first theater, Later in life I needed to do some work that was up three full flights of stairs and I picked up a Porter pancake compressor and it did every nail gun task I asked of it, Although if I fired a lot of bullets it cycled on frequently. It has lasted several years. And is the only thing I would consider lugging to a job site.

Then one day an AVS member mentioned that after some research he found a really quiet compressor and I started to realize that for years I put up with refraining from talking every time the Pancake fired up and it really was annoying. So I bought this one that cost twice as much but I fell in love with it the first day.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058NRVMO/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

demonstration video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkiakH-raAQ
post #16 of 27 Old 11-29-2013, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

20% off insteon at smart home today
post #17 of 27 Old 11-29-2013, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
Homedepot has dewalt 12" 15a miter saw for 199, 100 off
post #18 of 27 Old 11-29-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

They need 20% off, when you figure it takes $150 just to control a 4-way lighting circuit. Don't get me wrong, their stuff is good (I've used X10 stuff for years), but it can be quite expensive to control a lot of your house. On/off (2 way?) lighting circuits aren't bad, but 3-way and 4-way can be pricey just for the convenience of not having to walk somewhere. Plus, you have to essentially rewire the circuits, which means if you leave the house and want to take the switches, you'll have to rewire again.

Bob
post #19 of 27 Old 11-29-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

4-6 remote controlled dimmer circuits for a theater, an insteon set up is cheaper than a Graphic Eye system.
post #20 of 27 Old 11-29-2013, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

Homedepot has dewalt 12" 15a miter saw for 199, 100 off

Looks like Amazon has price matched it, so if you have Prime (and don't live in AZ or other states that have Amazon sales tax), then it's $199 with no tax and free shipping. This is a hellova deal no matter what.
post #21 of 27 Old 11-29-2013, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Soon to be fl with amazon sales tax frown.gif
post #22 of 27 Old 11-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just spent $3,200 and used the coupon. I was waiting to place the order until this came out. Unfortunately monoprice didn't do anything special for Black Friday. I am about to place a $3,000+ order there as well.

War Eagle!
post #23 of 27 Old 11-29-2013, 07:40 PM

Liked: 10
I also have the similar porter cable compressor and finish gun. Used the compresser while building my house with a framing nailer. Its held up fine, just didnt have the air volume to shoot a full sheet of plywood while laying the deck. I could get about a half sheet and then have to wait for it to build pressure. Its about 10 years old and ive also done many decks and a couple roofs with it. Not enough volume for paint guns though and it is pretty loud.
If i was doing it over, id buy a cordless finish nail gun. You dont need the firing speed and dont have to worry about lugging the hose or compresser through your finish work.
post #24 of 27 Old 12-08-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:

I originally bought a large capacity air compressor because I envisioned doing some painting that would require a high volume of air, I used it at my house for my own first theater, Later in life I needed to do some work that was up three full flights of stairs and I picked up a Porter pancake compressor and it did every nail gun task I asked of it, Although if I fired a lot of bullets it cycled on frequently. It has lasted several years. And is the only thing I would consider lugging to a job site.

Then one day an AVS member mentioned that after some research he found a really quiet compressor and I started to realize that for years I put up with refraining from talking every time the Pancake fired up and it really was annoying. So I bought this one that cost twice as much but I fell in love with it the first day.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058NRVMO/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for this post! This was the final info I needed to tip my decision into Rolair territory instead of a 15 gallon DeWalt unit. I kept flip-flopping between the quietness of the Rolair vs the much larger capacity (and thus, much fewer times it needed to recharge) of the DeWalt. Hearing that you did have both and finally went with the smaller unit was the one bit of anecdotal evidence I needed to finally pull the trigger on the Rolair.

And wow, is that compressor quiet!
post #25 of 27 Old 12-09-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post

Looks like Amazon has price matched it, so if you have Prime (and don't live in AZ or other states that have Amazon sales tax), then it's $199 with no tax and free shipping. This is a hellova deal no matter what.

Is the DEWALT 715 a decent miter saw? I see that it does not (and cannot) have a laser. I have a 15 yr old Craftsman 10" miter saw that is a pain to adjust and keeps losing its calibration. I just got my first gig as a paid photographer and I'm probably going to blow the money on a compound miter saw.
post #26 of 27 Old 12-09-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Law View Post

Is the DEWALT 715 a decent miter saw? I see that it does not (and cannot) have a laser. I have a 15 yr old Craftsman 10" miter saw that is a pain to adjust and keeps losing its calibration. I just got my first gig as a paid photographer and I'm probably going to blow the money on a compound miter saw.

I bought the DW715 just last week so I'm not quite an expert on it, yet. The editors at Wood magazine are, though, and they think it's the best 12" single bevel compound miter saw out there:

http://toolreviews.woodmagazine.com/power-tool-reviews/saws/mitersaws/compound-mitersaws/424-dewalt-dw715-12-compound-mitersaw

That review doesn't mention it, but another I read claimed that the DW715 was one of the only saws that came perfectly calibrated right out of the box. Mine certainly seems so, although I haven't done my typical in-depth testing yet. Handily, DeWalt makes the DW715 very easy to adjust -- far more so than others I've used. This page shows not only how to test for accuracy, but also how to adjust the saw if it's out. Handily, the examples are with a DeWalt saw that has identical adjustment procedures with the DW715:

http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2010/07/23/miter-saw-tune-up/

Okay, but what about my quick impressions? I'm loving it. I've only made maybe a dozen cuts on it, so far, but it's already so much clearly superior to my Ryobi 10" sliding compound saw that I cannot believe I waited this long to get it. The Ryobi feels almost Harbor Freight territory compared to DeWalt. For instance, setting the angle on the Ryobi always had a fair amount of "slop", where it could be off by a degree or so. The DeWalt slides into its detents like they are welded in place. The 12" vs a 10" is also night and day. I got a sliding 10" because I wanted to cut 2x8s and the like. Well, a 12" saw can do so without needing the slider.

Based on the near universal acclaim for the DW715 and the fact that I'm pleased as punch with my purchase, I can whole heartedly recommend it!
post #27 of 27 Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 PM

Thanks! I got the DW715 during lunch today. They matched the $179 Home Depot price and took another 10% off so I got it for $161.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used Craftsman 10" compound miter saw? biggrin.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page