How do you cleanly attach fabric covered columns to the wall in existing construction? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-26-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After a few hours of research here on the boards I am still struggling with one aspect of my theater build. How to attach fabric covered columns to existing drywall without fabric staples or mounting hardware showing.

My plan is to construct the columns out of 3/4" MDF, paint them black, and then cover them in black AT fabric. The columns will have a 46" radius curve at the top meeting the ceiling at 60 degrees; this allows my soffit mounted surround speakers to be concealed by the columns and adds a (tiny) bit of Gothic architecture to our currently very bland Gothic themed theater. Most of the threads I found where columns were wrapped in AT fabric the owners were also doing fabric panel walls which allows easy hiding of column mounting hardware and/or fabric staples. How would you go about mounting columns such as these directly to drywall with a clean look and full fabric wrap?

Column Mock Up.
CAD drawing of column Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-26-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I'd think the only way you could get a tight fit is with sparing use of a bonding adhesive, like Super 77 to handle the arch first. There are also pressure sensitive adhesives (PSA) for fabrics which come in film form which could also work.

Seeing as though your columns are two pieces, you way want to just attach blocking to the drywall that will fit the internal width of this arched piece, slip the column piece over the blocking and pin nail from the sides. It will go right through the fabric and never be seen.

Just spitballing....

EDIT: FYI - The first comment was in reference to attaching the fabric to the arch, which could be tricky to do without wrinkles. The second comment was regarding attachment of the assembly, of course!
Brady84 likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Seeing as though your columns are two pieces, you way want to just attach blocking to the drywall that will fit the internal width of this arched piece, slip the column piece over the blocking and pin nail from the sides. It will go right through the fabric and never be seen.

Just spitballing....

This is an awesome idea! Thank you very much!
post #4 of 4 Old 11-26-2013, 10:55 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Get a 23 ga pin pinner! Don't forget to allow for the thickness of the fabric when building your two halves. This is a mistake I only made once.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page