A/C Ideas - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Seems that every winter I look into my situation and never get around to solving it. I have 2 supply lines in the ceiling and one return down at the floor, in the summer with the A/C running it is just OK and livable in the room. But I am in Wisconsin and the heat is running in the winter, can't run the A/C. The theater room is unbearable warm in the winter, if I leave all the vents closed in then it is OK at the start of a movie but get warms and stuffy with no air moving.

What I would like is some sort of in room A/C unit that I can mount in the utility room next door. Duct the cold air to the theater, and suck return air from the theater. Hot air from the unit would go in the cold air return of the furnace to go back to heating the rest of the house. Water would go down the drain.

Is their any unit like that? I thought about taking apart a cheap inroom unit and build ducts off from it, but don't know if they are really up to the task.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 03:16 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Old 11-30-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

ducted mini split

Not sure how good it is to have that compressor out side when it can be 10-20 deg below "0". Is it good for it and will it be very efficient in those conditions?
Old 11-30-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

Not sure how good it is to have that compressor out side when it can be 10-20 deg below "0". Is it good for it and will it be very efficient in those conditions?

I have my compressor in the basement (next to my 80 amps of isolation transformers)!biggrin.gif

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 12-01-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I have my compressor in the basement (next to my 80 amps of isolation transformers)!biggrin.gif

Wholly crap! That must be thousands of dollars or so of transformers. What does your system look like?

How does the compressor work if it's in the basement? Wouldn't you be taking the heat out of the theater and putting it into the basement? I understand geothermal heat pumps can do this, as they're using water from the ground as a heat source/sink, but normal AC uses air.

Bob
Old 12-01-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

Wholly crap! That must be thousands of dollars or so of transformers. What does your system look like?

How does the compressor work if it's in the basement? Wouldn't you be taking the heat out of the theater and putting it into the basement? I understand geothermal heat pumps can do this, as they're using water from the ground as a heat source/sink, but normal AC uses air.

Hi, the temperature of the basement is always around 65 degrees - 70 degrees. The heated air created by the compressor does very little to the basement temp as it only a 1 ton unit and it only runs a couple hours at a time (for a movie). Remember it doesn't pull any heat out of the theater, it just cools the theaters hot air. We have incredibly cold winters here and with the theater half full, it can get warm. I have many, many amplifiers running as well plus a projector. It only cools my equipment.

The compressor is in the basement as you can see but the theater and AC head unit is in the equipment room on the floor above. So you can't even hear it.I didn't ewant to put it outside because it is hard on the compressor and adds to the cost of installation. Mine is pretty small and really out of the way in our basement. Our basement is not finished except for a wine cellar - which has its own AC so is unaffected by the compressor's heat).

The Equitech transformers power the theater (minus the subs) and though typically costly, I got them on close out from them for $1000 for all.. except it cost nearly that it install them.

Here's a photo of my room:

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009