Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 12-01-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Here is the current status:

Introduction:
After reading so many build threads, I figured I would start my own and hope I can add to the collection of knowledge that is so deep here.

Background
We built our single story home a year ago and dedicated a room for a future home theater. The room is 17'x13.5'x11'. The room has 2 outside walls, 1 shared wall with a kid's room, and 1 wall shared with bathroom/craftroom. Entry into the room is by flush mounted solid double doors on the back wall.

We are a family of 4 with 2 young kids(4 and 8).

Most of our usage will be movie watching, typically 2-3 times per week, spanning everything from Disney and Harry Potter, to Nolan's Batman and LOTR trilogy. We all enjoy movies, but I would not consider any of us a video/audiophile. Our desire for the theater is really for the ambience and sensory overload

Oh, background on me:
I've spend most of my career in Semiconductor Manufacturing working in Engineering, Quality and Management. My degree is a BS in Physics. I'm pretty handy both mechanically (I've rebuilt a couple of different cars) and technically (was an Oracle DBA in a previous life). I have basic carpentry skills, but by no means an expert.

Layout
Room is setup long wise with the screen on one of the 13' walls. The projector will be shelf mounted on the opposite wall. Electronics will be in a low cabinet beneath the screen.

Seating will be 2 rows of sectional couches from Home Reserve, with the back row on a riser, plus bean bags for the kids up front. Plan is 1st row at ~11' and second row at ~16'.

Hardware
Projector - Sony HW55ES (Courtesy of AVScience)
Screen - Screen Innovations Solar 2.35:1 133" diagonal (Courtesy of AVScience)
Cinevista Anamorphic lens (Courtesy of AVScience)
AVR- Onkyo NR818
Speakers - HTD Level 2 Front, Center, dipole sides. In wall HD-W65 for rears. 1 Level 2 sub
Lighting - 3 pairs of recessed can lights each on a separate zone using Insteon control (1 keypad dimmer switch and 2 micro dimmer switches) + 1 handheld remote control.

Room Construction
As noted above, there is significant 'blank space' on 3 of the 4 walls. All 4 walls are insulated with R13, but nothing else special. For the wall that is shared with the kids bedroom, the current plan is to pull the sheet rock off, build a 2nd wall, double sheet rock with GG. Will add additional R13 to new wall as well. I will seal all plugs/receptacles on both walls while apart.

Room decoration/design

Original plan was to go with a 2 tone dark red/black look similar to the October Theater of the Month winner. That is changing a bit as I learn more about acoustic treatments and concern about absorption into child's room. Let me walk around the room with the current plan:
Front Wall/screen: Screen will be surround by black velvet drapes on at least top and sides, maybe bottom as well. Side curtains will be on a track for masking down to 1.78 when needed.
Side walls were planned to be regular wall with chair rail dividing black and red sections. Carry the same theme over to the back wall.
Plan B: Instead of 2 tone walls with a chair rail, we are now looking at going all red on the walls and put a 2' 'stripe' of black around the room at head height of acoustic panels.
Plan C: Line front and side wall with same black drapes.

That is where I'm at today. I'll probably start construction on the new wall in next week or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-01-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the future screen wall.

Here is the rear wall.
post #3 of 27 Old 12-01-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Phase #1: New isolation wall is complete. Also replace wall sconces with recessed 5" lights in the ceiling.

Paint:
Walls done today, trim tomorrow:
post #4 of 27 Old 12-01-2013, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Phase 1 Complete:

Here is the entry way into the theater:

Here is the view from the doorway:

Here is the view from the screen wall:

And finally the view from the projector:

Overall, family and I love it. Now to start enjoying it, and planning phase 2. If only I could find a local supply for some rigid fiberglass....
post #5 of 27 Old 12-01-2013, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Lessons Learned and Q&A:

Should you acoustically treat behind the screen? - Yes
post #6 of 27 Old 12-11-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

12/11/13 update:
Posted pre-pics in post #2.
Screen arrived last weekend.
Projector shipped today and should be here on Friday!!!
Construction of new interior wall starts tomorrow.

New design changes:
Decided to remove the wall sconces and go with recessed lights in the ceiling around the outside wall. I think in the future will will build a decorative soffit around outside edge and the lights will move into it at that time.
Color scheme has changed for the umpteenth time. Now we are looking at black trim, charcoal walls with dark red accents on the paneling/etc.

Like many projects, it has grown exponentially... smile.gif
Phase 1: COMPLETE
Build isolation wall, remove sconces and replace with recessed ceiling lights.
1 row of sectional couch. Still deciding on 3 or 4 sections.
mount screen and 1" Insulshield on front wall, covered in charcoal or black fabric.
Paint room charcoal on walls and ceiling and black trim/molding.

Phase 2: COMPLETE
Finish out 5.1 surround sound (Currently a hodgepodge... of Bose/HTD) with HTD Level 2 front and center channels, and sub.
Curtains over Corner base traps.

Phase 3:
2nd row sectional on 8" riser
Add rear channels(In wall HW65 from HTD) and 2nd sub, if I can get the wife convinced wink.gif

Phase 4:
Design Decorative ceiling treatment. Right now leaning towards 18" wide soffit around outside edge, and then a center box 4x8. That would leave a 3' wide rectangular channel that would be highlighted with rope lighting. Or something completely different....
post #7 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

11/15/2013 update:
Isolation wall is complete. Also completed removing the sconces and replaced with in ceiling recessed 5" lights. Lights are set in 3 pairs, each with separate Insteon dimmers. I've got a black keypad that will be on the wall for the rear ones, and the middle and front lights will be controlled by micro dimmers.

Settled on and purchased paint:
Walls/ceiling will be flat 'Mark Twain Grey Brick' by Valspar.
Trim will be satin black also by Valspar.

Painters are scheduled for tomorrow.

Projector was supposed to be here on Friday, but got held up with all the ice in the area. Should be dropped off tomorrow morning!

So if things go well, paint tomorrow, hang screen and build projector shelf on Tuesday/Wednesday. Should have everything done and setup in time to go out of town on Friday and not be able to use the room until we get back late Sunday! eek.gif

If anyone needs a good handy man in the northern part of the Dallas Metroplex, I have one I strongly recommend. He's done several projects for me and is extremely flexible.
post #8 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quick question:
- I'm putting 1" insulshield on the front wall. Should it also go behind the screen, or is that a waste because the screen is reflective?
post #9 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 08:59 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Think of the screen as a drum head, is there sound behind the drum head? Would that sound bounce off the front wall and back through the drum head the other direction? If your goal is to reduce front wall reflections, add the treatment.
post #10 of 27 Old 12-16-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Big,
Thank you, that makes complete sense. I've ready several of your build threads and they have definitely been an inspiration!
post #11 of 27 Old 12-16-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Walls painted today, and it is awesome. I think the 'WOW' factor of walking into a completely darkened room is going to be amazing.

Also, brown truck delivered this today:
post #12 of 27 Old 12-16-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Next question:
After going back through the Cinamar build thread, I noticed he used denim insulation on the front wall instead of rigid fiberglass. I'll keep searching but hadn't seen a good pro/cons between the 2. I'm having a hard time finding the rigid fiberglass in something less than a whole pallet. Thoughts/opinions?
post #13 of 27 Old 12-18-2013, 04:07 PM

Liked: 12

I was reading through the thread below and it might be of some help to you.  I believe denim insulation is more expensive.  I am getting to my planning stage and have been lurking at all the threads.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/877269/fiberglass-insulation-alternatives

post #14 of 27 Old 12-18-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Buckeye10, I'll definitely take a look.

Today's update: How many trips to the Box store does it take to build a projector shelf:
1. Stopped by one day after work to pick up 1x1x4 and .5x2x4 of MDF to build shelf.
2. Later that week, stopped in to pick up 3 cans of Krylon to prime and paint it.
3. Realized the screws I had, were too big for this project. Made trip to by assorted sizes of brass screws.
4. Decide I'm going to 'prettify' it and experiment with some real wood working so go purchase a router and a couple of bits.
5. After playing with router and about half way through assembly, decide MDF is too thin/weak so go back to purchase 1x2x4 of hardwood. (I've also realized I can build it out of 1 piece now, instead of 2)

What a day...Only the last 2 were today. I'll start over in the morning, and should be able to knock it out in a couple of hours...
post #15 of 27 Old 12-20-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Big day today.
Completed building the shelf, we'll actually that was yesterday....
Cleaned up room from the painting work. Actually hooked up projector and just pointed it to the opposite wall. Keep in mind I have the walls painted a dark, dark grey. Even on that, man this thing is bright!
Played around to make sure everything works:
HDMI extenders -check
Video streaming both 480 and 1080 sources - check
3D bluray - check

Overall a good day... Oh, and the dark grey room is awesome!!!!
I'll try and get pics posted tomorrow.
I'll also have to post the story of my 4 year olds reaction. It was priceless...
post #16 of 27 Old 12-21-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Funny story, those with kids will relate...
My 4 year old has only been to a movie theater 1-2 times.
I finally get the projector up and functional, feeding a signal from the PS3 just against the grey wall. He walks in and sees the wall size image and says with awe, "Daddy, what is this?" I've got it projected close to the floor at the moment so he walks up to the wall. He then starts trying to press the icons on the wall, like it's an iPad. At this point he giggles. Again he says in a near whisper, "Daddy, what is it?"
I respond "Brandon, watch this."
I pull up Cars off of the media server and fire it up. He grins real big and runs and jumps on the couch. I sit down next to him, and he snuggles in.
Maybe 90 seconds into the opening scene, he looks up and says "Daddy, can you get me some popcorn?"

At that point, every dollar was worth it already, 90 seconds into the first movie....
post #17 of 27 Old 12-22-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 63
great story! smile.gif
post #18 of 27 Old 12-22-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

OK, long overdue pictures of the finished phase 1.

Kids, wife, me, we all love it. It has turned out great! We've watched Epic both regular and in 3D. Both were amazing. Gonna try and knock out LOTR tonight if I get time.
post #19 of 27 Old 12-22-2013, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Nice story - my son and I can definitely relate to that one. I also like your equipment list - it seems oddly familiar, although I wish I had that projector!

smile.gif

How are you planning to mount the Cinevista?

Theater for Hobbits 1.0 - One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

Theater for Hobbits 2.0 - AVS HT of the Month - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

post #20 of 27 Old 12-22-2013, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Can totally relate and love it. smile.gif Can never get enough family time like that.
post #21 of 27 Old 12-22-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkarver View Post

How are you planning to mount the Cinevista?

It is directly mounted to the shelf. Let me know if you want a pic and I can post. I do plan to build a slide for it at some point, but still trying to figure out the design. I can't reach it at the current height.
post #22 of 27 Old 12-23-2013, 08:17 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisserda View Post

Funny story, those with kids will relate...
My 4 year old has only been to a movie theater 1-2 times.
I finally get the projector up and functional, feeding a signal from the PS3 just against the grey wall. He walks in and sees the wall size image and says with awe, "Daddy, what is this?" I've got it projected close to the floor at the moment so he walks up to the wall. He then starts trying to press the icons on the wall, like it's an iPad. At this point he giggles. Again he says in a near whisper, "Daddy, what is it?"
I respond "Brandon, watch this."
I pull up Cars off of the media server and fire it up. He grins real big and runs and jumps on the couch. I sit down next to him, and he snuggles in.
Maybe 90 seconds into the opening scene, he looks up and says "Daddy, can you get me some popcorn?"

At that point, every dollar was worth it already, 90 seconds into the first movie....

Awesome, great story. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisserda View Post

Next question:
I'm having a hard time finding the rigid fiberglass in something less than a whole pallet. Thoughts/opinions?

I'm probably minutes from you. I have some left over 1" rigid fiberglass and I'll look for the folks I bought it from localy if you need more or diff thickness. PM me.

Here is my build thread:

---->Like a Boss Theater Build<----
post #23 of 27 Old 02-01-2014, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to Yzfbossman's guidance, got 1" panels installed on front wall and build 'super chunk' corner traps out of the same material.

Next, the Mrs. and I built a covered frame to put below the screen.

I'm about 3/4 through cutting all the panels for the corner traps. Those will be covered with curtains in the corners.

Also picked up 2 HTD Level 2 Towers + Level 2 center during HTD's Anniversary sale. Absolutely AMAZED how much better they sound over my Bose cube setup I had. The room sounds great now.

As a side story, we went and saw 'Saving Mr. Banks' in the theater last weekend. We went to a nice theater (Cinemark xD), but I think I'm ruined. I'd much rather be in mine. Besides the amazing picture and sound, being able to pause for a bathroom break is just AWESOME. smile.gif

Should be done with this round in next week or so and will post final pics.

Next up:
2nd Row + Riser + Rear Surrounds
post #24 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Liked: 50
Looking good!

Here is my build thread:

---->Like a Boss Theater Build<----
post #25 of 27 Old 03-09-2014, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

OK! Phase 1 and 2 COMPLETE!!!!!

Here are pics with curtains up, posters hung, Complete 5.1 HTD Level 2 system.

post #26 of 27 Old 05-16-2014, 10:57 AM

Liked: 12
Very nice setup. I am in the DFW area as well. I would like to go 2.35 with the HW55ES and I am glad to see someone else doing it. I plan on using a Lumagen for scaling and also am going to go 133" diagonal. Not sure on the screen yet but considering the SI Pure Zero Edge screen and the Carada BW screen. How do you find the brightness of the projector? How does it look with the lights on?

Thanks!
post #27 of 27 Old 05-16-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Dr. Jay! We have family night planned for tonight to watch The Incredibles tonight. You are more than welcome to swing by and come see the setup in person. Just send me a PM.
In my room, it is extremely bright. I have the iris turned down to the minimum setting and it is still very bright for both 2D and 3D.
Thanks to Bossman, I played around with a Lumagen and found it did not gain me anything with my setup and use. I think if you watched a ton of 3D movies, it might be worth it.
I'm also very happy with my screen. I got a package deal from AVScience (screen, projector, A-lens). I'm very happy with the whole setup. Personally, I'd take the money for the Lumagen and get a better A-lens.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector , Screen Innovations , Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page